Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread (PLEASE READ POST #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

messrs wrote: »
    ah you never know ;)

I suppose so! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Gatica wrote: »
    Came up in General Chat recently: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99632919
    linking http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/2630932-Post-wedding-message-please-help-me-what-the-hell-do-I-say

Feel sorry for that OP, from that thread she didn't want it going viral or have her "name" plastered/associated with a news story.

She has posted since then that she doesn't care.

Apparently mumsnet threads are regularly picked up by newspapers and some tv programmes.

Toots wrote: »
    We could form a boardsie group on it if anyone wants

I would be interested in a boardsies Fitbit group.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

Gatica wrote: »
    Came up in General Chat recently: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99632919
    linking http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/mumsnet_classics/2630932-Post-wedding-message-please-help-me-what-the-hell-do-I-say

Feel sorry for that OP, from that thread she didn't want it going viral or have her "name" plastered/associated with a news story.

Did you see the work fridge thread? To avoid journo's lifting the story nearly all the posters made a point of saying the word c*unt in their posts so they couldn't be properly quoted. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

LynnGrace wrote: »

Can other fitness tracker enthusiasts join ;) I'm an UP user myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

Yeah it's a tricky one with OHs and I'm the first from my friends to get married so I can't even see what other people do. Most of mine and my fiance's friends are in relationships and the few that aren't, we will see closer to the wedding if they're in a new relationship and there may be room to fit that person in. With cousins, we will send an invite to the family and none of their girlfriends or boyfriends are invited. They can all come as a family group (none are married).

If I was in a new relationship I wouldn't want to go to my boyfriend's cousins wedding where I knew nobody anyway!

messrs wrote: »
    Damn you!!! :P when I saw this was updated, I (prob like other people aswell) assumed it was Lau coming in to announce her engagement!!!

Or even the patter of little cupcakes.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

She has posted since then that she doesn't care.

Apparently mumsnet threads are regularly picked up by newspapers and some tv programmes.

It's the same with some Boards threads. Her.ie and Joe.ie in particular seem to regularly look through this site for material for their 'articles'.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Might be a laugh alright! I think we'd have to PM each other our email addresses and add each other as friends, then we could set up one of those challenges and all join in.
    Can other fitness tracker enthusiasts join ;) I'm an UP user myself

No!! Filthy heathens!! :pac: Of course you can, I don't think the UP and fitbit apps link up, but we could set up a FB group or something, or perhaps invade the fitness forum and see would they let us start up a new thread where we post our daily step/activity count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

It's the same with some Boards threads. Her.ie and Joe.ie in particular seem to regularly look through this site for material for their 'articles'.

am so behind the times!! didn't realise they did (or could) do this!

• Advertisement

It's happened with a few things. Most recent one on this forum was bridesmaidgate, which is why the original thread got shut down, in case it outed the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Might be a laugh alright! I think we'd have to PM each other our email addresses and add each other as friends, then we could set up one of those challenges and all join in.

No!! Filthy heathens!! :pac: Of course you can, I don't think the UP and fitbit apps link up, but we could set up a FB group or something, or perhaps invade the fitness forum and see would they let us start up a new thread where we post our daily step/activity count?

I'm an UP user too. Not getting married but would like to lose about a stone for all the weddings I'll be attending later in the summer :o

So if there's a group set up, I'd love to join :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: I have merged a bunch of posts into this thread, as the first post wasn't related to the thread it was posted in. The flow of the previous conversation might be a little interrupted, so sorry about that!

Valentina wrote: »
    I'm an UP user too. Not getting married but would like to lose about a stone for all the weddings I'll be attending later in the summer :o

So if there's a group set up, I'd love to join :o

Right so, would users prefer something on the Fitness forum (I'd have to clear it with the mods first) or a FB group?

If you are in a position to, I highly recommend cycling to work, especially over the summer. It's such a great way to travel, and it forces you to exercise twice a day because you have to get home again! It's also free and environmentally friendly, plus a great workout.

I hate exercise when I don't see the point of it, so cycling to work has a clear purpose and it motivates me to do it :)

I work in the home :pac: Although my 4 year old's bike is here so maybe I could cycle that around the apartment... think it has a 70kg weight limit though, which would be problematic :o

Right so, would users prefer something on the Fitness forum (I'd have to clear it with the mods first) or a FB group?

I would prefer the fitness forum, if that is possible. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I would prefer the fitness forum, if that is possible. Thanks.

It's probably the most appropriate place, and a great place if you like weights

Grand so, I'll drop the mods a PM and just check if that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Faith wrote: »
    If you are in a position to, I highly recommend cycling to work, especially over the summer. It's such a great way to travel, and it forces you to exercise twice a day because you have to get home again! It's also free and environmentally friendly, plus a great workout.

I hate exercise when I don't see the point of it, so cycling to work has a clear purpose and it motivates me to do it :)

Great idea :)

I'm off work at the moment recovering from spinal surgery so my exercise is currently limited to physiotherapy and walking but when I go back to work cycling is something I want to look in to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Doin' the rounds :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99687441&postcount=1937

I would love to know what the newly weds think of it. I hope they are mortified.

I would love to know what the newly weds think of it. I hope they are mortified.

It certainly is doing the rounds; it's the third time the story has been mentioned in this forum!

It is being picked up all over the place now. Lots of Facebook sites mentioning it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just wondering if anyone is doing their intent to marry registration by post, just wondering how much running around you had to do, especially if one of you had been divorced in another country

Feck sake, they could at least give the link credit to Mumsnet instead of just implying that they mysteriously came upon this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

just wondering if anyone is doing their intent to marry registration by post, just wondering how much running around you had to do, especially if one of you had been divorced in another country

Didnt know you could do it by post. Thought you had to go in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

If you're both resident in Ireland you both have to attend the meeting with at the registrar's office together. There have to be some pretty extenuating circumstances for them to accept this by post, e.g. unable to leave hospital or I guess living somewhere abroad where it's hard to make it to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Faith wrote: »
    Mod Note: I have merged a bunch of posts into this thread, as the first post wasn't related to the thread it was posted in. The flow of the previous conversation might be a little interrupted, so sorry about that!

phew... I was starting to worry I was going crazy thinking I posted in the epic "We want a Food processor gift" thread instead of this one and saw the same message here...

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Disclaimer: I know that weddings are expensive and that brides and grooms can ask (or not ask) anyone they want for their day. But. I just got an invite to a family wedding with no plus one. My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years and we live together. Granted, the bridal couple barely know him, so I get it, but boo :( I know that it's an invite and not a summons, but I feel kind of obligated to go bc one of my siblings is coming from abroad to attend, they haven't been given a plus one either, and wouldn't like to go on their own. But I wish my boyfriend could come, too!!
    Rant over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I've recently lost a friendship over the same thing.
    That seems so dramatic, but feelings were very hurt and that is the end result.
    I was going to go to the church alone and not go to the reception, but bride told me not to bother with church when I let her know.
    So I understand your disappointment!

Advertisement