Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, what's next?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just kidding, great run from you though... no need to keep your races a secret!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fantastic racing today AQ, and thanks for not throwing me out of the car along with the sandbags :D

Looking forward to the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So there is no getting away with this report it seems :D

Lets just clarify this is not flat, flat is the seafront! :P
    Elevation Gain: 18 m
    Elevation Loss: 23 m
    Min Elevation: 60 m
    Max Elevation: 71 m

So picked BG up at re-negotiated time and off we set. Arrived V early but it was a nice morning. Walked up to registration and Firedance tried to slip by both of us, on the hill that Adrian only mentioned at the last minute last night when up to this was pure flat.
    Was easy to register for me and members had a longer queue. Plush facilities thankfully as 3 pees this morning so was glad not to be in the Phoenix park going across country for a ditch.
    Did a warm up as everyone else was so felt fairly obliged.
    Was worried at the start as it was breezy and cool enough. First race with no pen starts so didn't know how this would affect me as used to having similiar pace around me from the start. Effort kicked in from the start once we passed the skipping rope that was a start line, I cleverly managed to stop rather than start my watch. Brilliant. Kicked on just to get away from a wreck the head nattering away as I wasn't listening to that for near 50 mins.
    Out of the K club pretty quickly and felt grand just not sure of pace.
    Parents were close to the start so was delighted to see them.
    Loops I don't like at all. My breathing wasn't the best and legs were perfect and was expecting pain but it never materialized.
    I had put the watch on km's especially for the occasion. This wrecked my head. Was like DG trying to figure out it every time so just let myself be sub 5 mins km. I reached 5km in 23.01 so that helped put calculations at ease. I had thought to kick in at 8km as I honestly felt good but didn't want to leave my friend. Was positive the whole way around. I had wanted to stop but for no particular reason so kept going. I did ease off a few times and refused to overtake one individual in case it bit me on the ass so stayed behind him for the race. I kept visualizing my cheerleaders at the finish of BG and Adrian. The run back to the club was welcome and a fast last km. The hill was there but nothing awful. Didn't even notice the clock as only focused on the finish.
    Watch after changing to km is still reporting in miles so here you go:

Time: 46:17
    Moving Time: 46:17
    Elapsed Time: 46:17
    Avg Pace: 7:26 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace: 7:26 min/mi
    Best Pace: 6:17 min/mi
    1 7:27.5 1.00 7:28
    2 7:26.6 1.00 7:27
    3 7:24.1 1.00 7:24
    4 7:40.3 1.00 7:40
    5 7:21.1 1.00 7:21
    6 7:24.3 1.00 7:24
    7 1:33.4 0.23 6:55

Results time on BHAA: 46:36. A good day out and great to meet/see everyone. I wasn't shy in approaching AuldMadKing at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great going A, you must be delighted with that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Deadly race report and FANTASTIC run, well done and absolutely delighted for you! Sounds like you were flying and in control, the splits show a lovely overall consistency :)
    And AuldMADKing??! Love it, think you're on to something there! :D
    Well done again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great race and excellent report. Everyone seems to have had a slower 4th mile I've noticed, may have been the wind or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

LOL auld mad king - definitely best part of the day :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Zooooom! Great time ... and very consistent :). Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great report and great result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Great report & brill running, very well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

The pocket rocket is back in action!!! :D

very funny report... walking to registration must be a first for you :p and then it sound like you were holding back for most of the race.. seriously, as the title of your log says ... what's next???? sub 45 for sure :D

as for AMadK... brilliant, that's up there with Dudgal :)

P.S. I told you actually getting there in time to warm up would help you!!

Thanks for support.
    Feeling great today and think I should have pushed more as don't feel like I was racing yesterday but a shiny new PB. Weather has certainly improved here now compared to this morning and kicking myself for passing up premium Croke Park tickets so will go for a recovery run and hopefully drinks later.

So PROUD, a recovery run!
    Distance: 3.33 mi
    Time: 00:34:48 h:m:s
    Avg Speed: 5.7 mph
    Avg Pace: 10:27 min/mile

Ok so now wondering, as Anna pointed out my goal was what's next, so next is the 5 mile target as my last one was the horror of the race series last year. This was more holidays the week before so I wouldn't recommend holidays and then aiming for a good race. Food and beer just too tasty in sunshine.
    Working out paces though for training so am I right to take Saturday's time and use these now as my training paces? This will benefit me?
    http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm
    I can't see my current routine being shook up all that much as I still have 7 weeks of bootcamp every Monday and Wed so hoping to continue as is and run on lunch and do a long run on weekends and build up miles. Max during lunch is 5 miles and that's pushing it. Edit as now that it's light until 8.30 I can run in the evenings!
    Any ideas for me or I just need a more structured plan?

Yes you should enter your new race time and calculate your new paces. you can also use mcMillan, enter your race time from Saturday and a 5 mile goal time:

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator

Then click on training paces along the left, which gives paces for training for your new goal.

As regards a plan, I think cleariers graduate plan is still a good one to follow for the 5 mile race, but not sure how many times per week you would be running?

There we go then Adrian, thank you. Next goal is 5 mile then but may not advise as to which one. Currently looking at 3 :D.
    Obviously will not give times either for fear of the slagging :p

Also I've ordered with your discount code new runners this morning so again thanks. Hardly required but anyway................

are you going to include any of the speed sessions & hill sprints from the graduate plan or does bootcamp already cover those? I think, and I could well be wrong here!, that its the speed sessions that will get your times down more. Having said that, clearly you're doing something right after that great result.

p.s. ah go on tell us your target times, we promise no more slagging*

*this may not be the case

aquinn wrote: »
    There we go then Adrian, thank you. Next goal is 5 mile then but may not advise as to which one. Currently looking at 3 :D.
    Obviously will not give times either for fear of the slagging :p

Also I've ordered with your discount code new runners this morning so again thanks. Hardly required but anyway................

Don't be such a spoilsport!!! :roll eyes:

Looking at McMillan calculator suggests around 37min for the 5 mile for you... maybe use the Clearlier plan and incorporate 5mi pace for the speed/tempo sessions? One of the good things about that plan is that it's flexible for number of days running...

Firedance wrote: »
    are you going to include any of the speed sessions & hill sprints from the graduate plan or does bootcamp already cover those? I think, and I could well be wrong here!, that its the speed sessions that will get your times down more. Having said that, clearly you're doing something right after that great result.

p.s. ah go on tell us your target times, we promise no more slagging*

*this may not be the case

See I think I'm only with the sprints with bootcamp as you do sprint a fair bit during some sessions. Think I need more interval training as I mostly run at the same pace and this is where I falter in run training. More of those sessions I didn't understand or follow in the yellow on the novice intermediate plan. These actually should be on the Graduate plan, then I can get that t shirt? :)

annapr wrote: »
    Don't be such a spoilsport!!! :roll eyes:

Looking at McMillan calculator suggests around 37min for the 5 mile for you... maybe use the Clearlier plan and incorporate 5mi pace for the speed/tempo sessions? One of the good things about that plan is that it's flexible for number of days running...

Yes, that's exactly what I need.
    When are we doing our neighborhood & long overdue jaunt?

See I think I'm only with the sprints with bootcamp as you do sprint a fair bit during some sessions. Think I need more interval training as I mostly run at the same pace and this is where I falter in run training. More of those sessions I didn't understand or follow in the yellow on the novice intermediate plan. These actually should be on the Graduate plan, then I can get that t shirt? :)

another t-shirt??! ok then :-D yeah I think you should incorporate intervals one of your running days, maybe do Friday if you have bootcamp mon & Wed? They are easy to do once you get the hang of them, do a warm up @ easy pace say 1 mile then do 2 mins @ 5k pace, rest for 3 mins then repeat 5 times. As the weeks go on the time @ 5k pace increases.

• Advertisement

another t-shirt??! ok then :-D yeah I think you should incorporate intervals one of your running days, maybe do Friday if you have bootcamp mon & Wed? They are easy to do once you get the hang of them, do a warm up @ easy pace say 1 mile then do 2 mins @ 5k pace, rest for 3 mins then repeat 5 times. As the weeks go on the time @ 5k pace increases.

the challenge for you A, will be to slow back down to do the recovery period!

Yes, that's exactly what I need.
    When are we doing our neighborhood & long overdue jaunt?

Well... I'm back... so you tell me! give us an oul' PM and we'll figure something out...

annapr wrote:
    Well... I'm back... so you tell me! give us an oul' PM and we'll figure something out...

Great, I prefer my wine in the evenings but could be flexible.

Great, I prefer my wine in the evenings but could be flexible.

haha, we could always just have a glass of wine :D ... i can be flexible :D

I haven't been in good form the last few days so motivation is low. I didn't bother with lunchtime runs the last two days. Went to BC last night and it was a bit meh. Got home tonight and it's such a super evening that I decided to just go for it. Nice and easy obviously so left the music at home. On such a super evening I didn't miss the music at all and I'm trying 'listen to your body'.
    Distance: 9.00 mi
    Time: 1:29:42
    Avg Pace: 9:58 min/mi
    Elevation Gain: 45 m
    Calories: 949 C

Aim was for 7 miles as it's always the target when I'm annoyed and trying to work something out. Run went grand. First few miles weren't great but took the HTFU approach and kept going. Getting refused entry to a petrol station toilet didn't help so intermediate miles went slower as a result until I limped into another petrol station :)
    Once I hit a nicer surface I could feel the legs improve. Was struggling not to do the 10th mile as much as I wanted to so stuck with original route which I thought was 7 but is actually 9.
    Got beeped at by who I think was Anna earlier? Someone v excited to see me out running anyway :p
    Diet hasn't been great the last few days with foul mood and of course sleep pattern disaster again which isn't helping matters so another reason for tonight's distance.
    Dog demanding attention so this is my cool-down.

hope the run helped A.

hope the run helped A.

Morning, it did thanks. Slept like the dead and moving on.
    Unfortunately I'm out for Friday hill session.

Just for the record, it wasn't me beeping at you!!

annapr wrote: »
    Just for the record, it wasn't me beeping at you!!

Hmmn, thanks for that. No idea so.

• Advertisement

HAPPY BIRTHDAY :D:D hope you have a super day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxOviBI-8fc

Advertisement