Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, what's next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Bungy Girl wrote:
    I'm running to an off-road only rule at the moment until my back stops giving out to me for running on concrete! It would actually be a lovely evening run once it gets a bit brighter. You can get a good long run out of it by including the trails in the Nature Reserve. Count me in for sure once I'm 100%

Nature reserve? Are we going to the same place? My route was nothing resembling a nature reserve. More like something out of dodge /scary no go zone.
    Perfect for when you are ready as you are going somewhere nice. Mind your back please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

aquinn wrote: »
    Nature reserve? Are we going to the same place? My route was nothing resembling a nature reserve. More like something out of dodge /scary no go zone.
    Perfect for when you are ready as you are going somewhere nice. Mind your back please.

Yup, there's a nice route starting from Sandymount Beach which brings you to Irishtown Nature Reserve. From here you can go all the way out to Poolbeg Lighthouse and then on the return leg you could go straight back to the East Link via Pigeon House road and the associated dodgyness (sp?). No idea how many miles but probably at least 10 coming from D.3. I'll measure it out later :D

Some info and pics here. If you get the right weather it's a stunning run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

according to google maps it's about 8k from here to poolbeg lighthouse. What sre you doing Saturday morning, aquinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The causeway out to the lighthouse is lovely but a horrible place to run IMO. Very uneven and you have to watch your step so much you can't enjoy the view.

• Advertisement

annapr wrote:
    according to google maps it's about 8k from here to poolbeg lighthouse. What sre you doing Saturday morning, aquinn?

Suits me. Murph not so enthusiastic.

Murph_D wrote: »
    The causeway out to the lighthouse is lovely but a horrible place to run IMO. Very uneven and you have to watch your step so much you can't enjoy the view.

True it's uneven, I'd forgotten that. We used to run out there a lot though in the summer with a gang from the club and just took it easy on that section. Avoid it if you have dodgy ankles !

Oh what a beautiful morning!

Unfortunately Annapr had too much on today to make it out to the towers so we'll go again.

Instead I slept like the dead and got up early and did 10.30 miles and really loved it. Constantly checking watch to slow down pace and kept it at 9.30 and above, I know it should be slower. My route worked out perfectly as went up through Killester and Raheny and used the lovely paved cycle path. Nice breeze on the way up. Turn and hit the seafront and down to Alfie Byrne road. I was ahead of myself so did a lap of Fairview park and found the hill that BG and Annapr do their hill sprints on. A really beautiful morning, said hello to everyone I could and mostly ignored. What I found hard though was the few people out starting to jog with big wooly hats, sunglasses and head down for fear of been seen. Awful way to start getting fit to be so ashamed. I came back and for once didn't have an ordeal getting garmin to upload. It obviously knows I'm after a second charger as this one drives me spare at times.

1:37:06
    Time
    1:37:05
    Moving Time
    1:37:33
    Elapsed Time
    9:25 min/mi
    Avg Pace
    9:25 min/mi
    Avg Moving Pace

Stretched, very briefly and painfully foam rolled. Serious lack of this of late hence the pain and briefness. Lovely to to have breakfast in sunshine and enjoy the garden. Off to get petrol now to cut grass.

Yesterday I did an easy 4.22 miles with colleague. Went for a nose around Ballsbridge. He has a half on Sunday and it's going to be warm. I had been out on Thursday night but no hangover and good to get out and not spend the day eating crap and feeling like S*ite.

Enjoy your runs!

Sunday, another really beautiful day.
    Up early and did a loop on the bike to Malahide, Portmarnock, Sutton, Clontarf to home. Really wonderful loop in weather like that. I passed my hero MS out for a run looking great.
    20.21 miles in 1.38. Brunch with a friend and cake and hot chocolate with another so undid all my work but I did exercise 6/7 days this week.
    Resting at lunch other than a walk to the shops and bootcamp tonight.

20.21 miles in 1.38.

Saw this before I realised you were on two wheels and thought Wow, she really is zipping! :-)

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Saw this before I realised you were on two wheels and thought Wow, she really is zipping! :-)

Ha ha no chance BG, the bike is my only chance of doing a sub 5 min mile.

Monday I didn't run on lunch and took it as a rest as colleague has slight limp after Wicklow half. I started my new runner research. Current Brooks the bounce has gone and they are coming up to a year so time to retire them from day-to-day running.
    Bootcamp last night after warm-up was straight into sprints on grass. I didn't find the sprints too taxing but was slower than normal as legs tight and still jump on the whistle so always lose time on this. I held up well. Did a good circuit after that of LME and that was a nice change as had sprint runs, Kettlebells and recovery exercises. Was a nice circuit. As legs are cramping at top of thigh I foam rolled to the best of my ability.

Tuesday, as it turns out I'm exactly two miles from the office to home. Did this in 18.20. Didn't have pacing watch with me just a stop watch so didn't track distance until I was back at the desk. Had to check house as alarm was going off this morning. Took the long route back and arrived back at the building and tracked myself as 4.84 miles in 42.43 (pace 8.48) so too fast yet again but apart from the slight ache in knees from runners it was good. I ran on grass as much as I could.

Have decided against the 10 mile Brian Boru on Easter Monday. Next focus is 10km K club hopefully rather than 10 mile as too big a jump for a race since one and only since DCM was parkrun mid-February.

I look great, feel great happy to be here and happy to be able :D (Nothing like a confidence boost on slump day and self promotion)

A lovely bouncy run at lunch. Felt lovely and relaxed. Up to the homestead and back around by Fairview park. Legs felt lovely and fresh and I really enjoyed this. It's great to be 'back in the zone'. How I ever leave it I don't understand but happy at the minute. Maybe it's from new pink top and possibility of new runners, who knows :p.
    Bootcamp later of course to but the fear of God back in me.

Distance
    4.64mi
    Duration
    42:34
    Avg Pace
    09:10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Brilliant :D Hope boot camp didn't squash it all out of you!

So, it's been 14 days of non-posting. So long that I had to search for my own log.
    I was flying with BC and the running and having a great time. I then banjaxed myself and had to take a break from running. Legs were fine but something entirely different but no running as a result. I'm fine though thanks, no need to panic.
    I'm on a weeks rest from BC as 6 week session is already up. My mileage was gradually increasing as in Jan I did 19 miles in the month and Feb nearly 70, this then dropped last month to 50.
    Last week I only achieved one lunchtime run of nearly 4 miles, purchasing new runners (a very important topic around these parts).
    I did the very enjoyable trail run in Howth on Friday. Really great to meet up and do the trail, I've only walked that route once years ago and extremely hungover. Was scary on the legs on some of the downhill steps so decided on this not to do the 10 mile on Monday.
    Saturday I'd a sore hip so rested and on Easter Sunday the beautiful day that it was I did a lovely 6 mile jaunt to the Wooden Bridge. Super to see the boats back in the water at Clontarf.
    Monday was a 4 miles supposed to be easy but actually wasn't and again yesterday I did a little run on lunch for this one I'm blaming the inaccuracies of map my run as I did go easy so the pace or distance can't be right? Was out for 30 mins so somewhere between 3&4 miles.
    I had a busy day online yesterday as I've entered the Kclub 10km on Saturday and the Ring of Kerry. Said I'd do it with a friend and as it falls between the 5 mile and 10km race series events I should be fine. Only issue at the moment as their system wiped out is that I've my spot and my friend hasn't! My hope for the 10km is sub 50 and I'll be happy. Going with the 'it isn't a goal race' logic, just survive & enjoy it.
    My other achievement over the last few days is the hope of getting myself into a dinghy and start sailing on my own as I've asked for help so back on diet to beat myself into a wetsuit.
    I don't think I've any other news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck tomorrow A, have a blast and enjoy. I think the sub 50 is in you the way you were trotting along on the trail. Start conservatively and take notes, cos I'll be picking your brains on how to hold back at the start! ;):)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow A, have a blast and enjoy. I think the sub 50 is in you the way you were trotting along on the trail. Start conservatively and take notes, cos I'll be picking your brains on how to hold back at the start! ;):)

Oh stop, should have kept this as a secret race. Remember it's not a goal race :P, just doing it for fun.

Oh stop, should have kept this as a secret race. Remember it's not a goal race :P, just doing it for fun.

Just get there on time to warm up and no bother to you! Best of luck.

annapr wrote:
    Just get there on time to warm up and no bother to you! Best of luck.

BG had to be negotiated with as she was giving too much time.

hope she won't lose too much sleep over it tonight :)

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    hope she won't lose too much sleep over it tonight :)

I'm sorry aquinn, I'm probably the worst pre-race passenger you will ever have the misfortune to transport :o

I may be thumbing a lift home from the K-Club.

you may be thumbing a lift TO the K club :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow, I'll see you for the banquet afterwards!

annapr wrote:
    you may be thumbing a lift TO the K club

As if pre race fears weren't enough. Poor BG. Funny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well then enjoy :) but if you happen to go sub 50 in the process then all the better!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck a. Bet it will be sub-50, all those lunchtime "easy"-runs will have been great speed training....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

All the best today! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done today, I won't mention the S word I'll just say we'll keep a very close eye on your target times for future races....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

whooohooo! well done again, I won't mention the S word either :-D good on you A you earned that PB

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote:
    Well done today, I won't mention the S word I'll just say we'll keep a very close eye on your target times for future races....

Thanks Adrian, delighted. Some cake spread.
    I think now all races will be kept as secret races as I'm in for some abuse.
    Well done to you today.
    Laura suggested throwing out some of the sandbags from the car to get home.

Advertisement