Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Is it weird that nobody has been called up to replace Payne yet? O'Mahony's injury was barely confirmed before we knew who was coming in to replace him.

Maybe they're waiting to see if Sexton is in or out for the weekend or permanently out?

theres no obvious replacement that springs to mind, sever shortage of international quality centres in Ireland right now- Trimble was mentioned , but he is a winger , and right now we are ok there - if Sexton is out, it becomes even more critical -

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Henry will come straight in for SOB, no issues there. Murphy has played all across the back row afaik so would be more than comfortable at 6. If Ruddock is ready to go I'd be inclined to start him at 6 as Murphy provides great cover off the bench.

I'd imagine Murphy is both fitter and sharper so would make more sense to start him and move him across as needed and keep Ruddock to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

noway12345 wrote: »
    8. Heaslip
    7. Henry
    6. Henderson
    5. Ryan
    4. Toner
    3. Ross
    2. Best
    1. McGrath

This is the best pack we have given all the injuries/forthcoming suspension.

I disagree, keep henderson where he is and bring in Ruddock or Murphy. Who covers lock on the bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

thebaz wrote: »
    theres no obvious replacement that springs to mind, sever shortage of international quality centres in Ireland right now- Trimble was mentioned , but he is a winger , and right now we are ok there - if Sexton is out, it becomes even more critical -

Bring Trimble as winger cover.

You then have Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Earls, Cave and at a push Madigan covering centre.

More than enough IMO.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

thebaz wrote: »

I know there's no obvious name, other than Trimble, and I know all of yesterday's chaos has probably taken priority but I still think it's odd that they haven't called anyone up. With the 48 hour rule it means anyone being called up this late isn't with the team until Thursday.

Unless they're not calling anyone up? Is there a rule that says they have to? As pointed out it's unlikely anyone called up in the backs will see any game time at this late stage so maybe Schmidt's just not bothering?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I disagree, keep henderson where he is and bring in Ruddock or Murphy. Who covers lock on the bench?

McCarthy?

And Henderson is a far better back row than Ruddock or Murphy. He's better than Ryan in the second row also but by not as much as the difference in the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

McCarthy?

Ah yes fair point. Still i wouldn't be moving Henderson. Good to have options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

We need someone to jump at 2 in defense. Can Henry do that? If not we'll have Murphy on the pitch I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's such a sad end for Paul O'Connell. He's an Irish legend, a legend of the game full stop. A real leader. It was supposed to end with him leading us onto the field in the World Cup final, it's just a really sad ending.

Yet you had us down to get beaten by France and that as a nation we need to get used to disappointment....so how was Paulie going to lead us out for the final?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yet you had us down to get beaten by France and that as a nation we need to get used to disappointment....so how was Paulie going to lead us out for the final?

We're better when we're prepared for the worst, we always have the hope but it's less shattering if it doesn't happen if we we never expected it.

• Advertisement

We're better when we're prepared for the worst, we always have the hope but it's less shattering if it doesn't happen if we we never expected it.

So if you say we are going to get beaten how can we prepare for POC to lead us out in the final?
    You expected us to get beaten...are you shattered?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

WarZ wrote: »
    Bring Trimble as winger cover.

You then have Fitzgerald, Henshaw, Earls, Cave and at a push Madigan covering centre.

More than enough IMO.

And if a scrum half gets injured on Fri/Sat we're looking at a potential half back pairing of Madigan + Jackson if the other gets injured during the game.

I think Boss will get Payne's place if Sexton can't make the Argentina game.

So if you say we are going to get beaten how can we prepare for POC to lead us out in the final?
    You expected us to get beaten...are you shattered?

No, I'm delighted!!! Winning when you expect to lose makes it even sweeter. Like when the soccer team beat Germany.
    I think Argentina will beat us.

And if a scrum half gets injured on Fri/Sat we're looking at a potential half back pairing of Madigan + Jackson if the other gets injured during the game.

I think Boss will get Payne's place if Sexton can't make the Argentina game.

Boss should be no where near the squad. In fact I think I'd prefer Madigan at scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

We need someone to jump at 2 in defense. Can Henry do that? If not we'll have Murphy on the pitch I'd imagine.

Another area we'll miss POM, he was excellent in the lineout yesterday.

No, I'm delighted!!! Winning when you expect to lose makes it even sweeter. Like when the soccer team beat Germany.

You thought France would beat us even though we have a good record against them in the last 4 years. Why do you think Argentina will beat us?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's such a sad end for Paul O'Connell. He's an Irish legend, a legend of the game full stop. A real leader. It was supposed to end with him leading us onto the field in the World Cup final, it's just a really sad ending.

:confused::confused::confused:

You thought France would beat us even though we have a good record against them in the last 4 years. Why do you think Argentina will beat us?

Did you not just read my theory on expecting the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Boss should be no where near the squad. In fact I think I'd prefer Madigan at scrum half.

You also think Argentina will win

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

You also think Argentina will win

How could you say France would beat us, then you now think Argentina will beat us, yet POC was going to lead us out for the final?

Tbh it's the kind of a theory I'd expect to be written on the wall of a shed in excrement...

How could you say France would beat us, then you now think Argentina will beat us, yet POC was going to lead us out for the final?

That was what was meant to happen. Stuff of dreams? A fitting ending? Not with a torn hamstring.

That was what was meant to happen. Stuff of dreams? A fitting ending? Not with a torn hamstring.

How could it happen if we were beaten by France and Argentina?

How?

How?

Tbh it's the kind of a theory I'd expect to be written on the wall of a shed in excrement...

I've been noticing quite a few of these sort of comments directed at me. I think it's because I brought up the accent of rugby players and fans on another thread. I meant no offence, I think it's time you people moved on.

How could it happen if we were beaten by France and Argentina?

How?

How?

It couldn't.

We reached the final with O'Connell leading us out.

We reached the final with O'Connell leading us out.

• Advertisement

I've been noticing quite a few of these sort of comments directed at me. I think it's because I brought up the accent of rugby players and fans on another thread. I meant no offence, I think it's time you people moved on.

I've no idea what you posted on another thread.

You claimed we would be beaten by France. You've claimed we will be beaten by Argentina.
    You claimed that POC now can't lead us out for the final.

Do you see anything a bit stupid by your posts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement