Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Teferi wrote: »
    Seanie looks like he packed on even more muscle than he had be before. Jaysus.

That's always the aim when a player gets a long term injury.....the S&C coach will use the time without matches to get the guys bigger, stronger, more powerful etc. It's why the player often looks fat about 6 weeks before they're back playing.....in order to add muscle and get stronger they have to gain a lot of weight, they then shed the excess fat when they get back training fully to reveal the new and improved athlete.....same bodyfat as before but with a few kgs more muscle and much better numbers in the gym.

Clutching at straws yes but still good to see a GPS pack going in, means he probably did the full session bar contact

956330.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    Or else he's just wearing tights cause it's cold.

If you're not running and you're cold you wear trackies.

S12b wrote: »
    That's always the aim when a player gets a long term injury.....ask any S&C coach, they use the time without matches to get the guys bigger, stronger, more powerful etc...

Yep, sure when you think of it after a match the body is usually very sore, there's a knock or two, so monday is very much fitness, tuesday usually recovery, weights usually doesn't come into play until later in the week, where as most bodybuilders would be splitting 3-5 days a week. So the silver lining to an injury is more gym time and proper nutritional planning for bulking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

awec wrote: »
    Sean O'Brien's been at the spuds...

Jaysus you city boys know nothing...

You plant the spuds in march or april and hope to start gathering them about september and have them all in for the end of october!!

It's like he's been on the angel dust..or in farming terminology - he's been in the shed for finishing!!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,003 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.ak wrote: »
    Yep, sure when you think of it after a match the body is usually very sore, there's a knock or two, so monday is very much fitness, tuesday usually recovery, weights usually doesn't come into play until later in the week, where as most bodybuilders would be splitting 3-5 days a week. So the silver lining to an injury is more gym time and proper nutritional planning for bulking.

yeah, but for a guy coming back from a total shoulder reconstruction !!!

hes bloody huge!

• Advertisement

Someone photoshop him naked on top of wrecking ball....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Seanie didn't ease up on the gym work while he was off anyway.

956325.jpg

bowling-ball-hitting-skittles-12752104.jpg

.ak wrote: »

Exactly, typical gym schedule for a pro rugby team is a heavy strength session on Tuesday with the aim of maintaining muscle mass and a power/speed session on Thursday to get the fast twitchers fully fired up for the game. The focus is on maintaining strength/muscle mass and getting the guys ready to play.....there is no chance for the players to actually improve themselves physically in season as doing this would be detrimental to their performance on the pitch.

That's why a long term injury can actually be beneficial. In order to add size and strength the player has to eat more to fuel that growth, the net result here is considerable weight gain with probably 50% of it fat and 50% of it muscle....if he's not going to play for 8 months, then, within reason, he can get a lot fatter in order to facilitate the muscle growth and improved gym performance. When he's back to full fitness, he will tidy up his diet and get back doing fitness work and voila, all the fat gained is shedded and the player is back in prime condition but he's bigger and stronger. Stuart Olding is a good example of this....noticeable larger in the upper body after his cruciate injury.

Apologies if I'm getting off topic here but S&C and nutrition is a big interest of mine so I tend to get carried away anytime it is being discussed here!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

When is the wolfhounds team named?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Exactly, typical gym schedule for a pro rugby team is a heavy strength session on Tuesday with the aim of maintaining muscle mass and a power/speed session on Thursday to get the fast twitchers fully fired up for the game. The focus is on maintaining strength/muscle mass and getting the guys ready to play.....there is no chance for the players to actually improve themselves physically in season as doing this would be detrimental to their performance on the pitch.

That's why a long term injury can actually be beneficial. In order to add size and strength the player has to eat more to fuel that growth, the net result here is considerable weight gain with probably 50% of it fat and 50% of it muscle....if he's not going to play for 8 months, then, within reason, he can get a lot fatter in order to facilitate the muscle growth and improved gym performance. When he's back to full fitness, he will tidy up his diet and get back doing fitness work and voila, all the fat gained is shedded and the player is back in prime condition but he's bigger and stronger. Stuart Olding is a good example of this....noticeable larger in the upper body after his cruciate injury.

Apologies if I'm getting off topic here but S&C and nutrition is a big interest of mine so I tend to get carried away anytime it is being discussed here!! :D

Question for ya then - do you reckon that additional bulk and muscle will be advantageous for SOB in terms of preventing a third shoulder injury?

• Advertisement

http://www.the42.ie/sexton-fit-concussion-murray-1904733-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2015/0127/675955-murray-and-reddan-fitness-boost-for-ireland/

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obrien-set-for-ireland-return-as-johnny-sexton-remains-in-contact-free-zone/10768

Conflicting reports here, hoping Murray will be ok but nothing concrete.

Sexton doing everything bar contact and will start as soon as he's allowed.

SOB will be involved with Wolfhounds and could go straight in for the Italy game.

Cian Healy further behind and doesn't look like he will play Friday.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Question for ya then - do you reckon that additional bulk and muscle will be advantageous for SOB in terms of preventing a third shoulder injury?

Most physio will tell you that improving strength in a joint or boney area will improve your chances to prevent an injury. i.e improving strength in calves will reduce stress impact on your shins etc. etc. So yeah, I'm sure after a shoulder recon you're very much told to build strength in that shoulder again to prevent further injury.

I don't think the idea of getting 'bigger' fits that, but certainly getting stronger does.

http://www.the42.ie/sexton-fit-concussion-murray-1904733-Jan2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-nations/2015/0127/675955-murray-and-reddan-fitness-boost-for-ireland/

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/sean-obrien-set-for-ireland-return-as-johnny-sexton-remains-in-contact-free-zone/10768

Conflicting reports here, hoping Murray will be ok but nothing concrete.

Sexton doing everything bar contact and will start as soon as he's allowed.

SOB will be involved with Wolfhounds and could go straight in for the Italy game.

Cian Healy further behind and doesn't look like he will play Friday.

Strange, all the reports until today said Healy was ahead of SOB. I suppose will a hammy you don't realize the issues until you're sprinting and turning full hog.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

When is the wolfhounds team named?

It was 2 days before the game last year. But the match is one day earlier this year so I don't know. Tomorrow at the earliest. If not, Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whatever happened to the glory days of teams being named on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Bulking up by itself is unlikely to have an impact on the likelihood of a recurrence of the shoulder injury. The important thing is to address whatever lead to the injury.

I was at the game where he injured himself and looking at him when he picked up the injury. It wasn't a direct impact injury - the contact that lead to it looked innocuous which leads me to suspect that there was a relative weakness in there somewhere. I'm just speculating obviously but if I'm right the key thing will be to get that weakness to a point where it's not the weakest link in the chain. Bulking up won't do that and if done incorrectly i.e. without addressing the weakness then it will make the injured area relatively weaker. I'd expect that the Leinster rehab team will know what it's doing though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

errlloyd wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the glory days of teams being named on Monday.

Video analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

a third shoulder injury?

But he only has two shoulders...

:pac:

Otacon wrote: »
    But he only has two shoulders...

:pac:

This is SOB we're talking about...if he says he has a third shoulder, you can take it he has a third shoulder...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

INPHO_00887985.jpg

Cronins lineout accuracy explained :pac:

• Advertisement

'Use the force Sean'.

mickc wrote: »
    INPHO_00887985.jpg

Doesn't need accuracy - just f*ck it in the general direction of the sky and big dev will do the rest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

mickc wrote: »
    INPHO_00887985.jpg

"God I hate this bit..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

mfceiling wrote: »
    This is SOB we're talking about...if he says he has a third shoulder, you can take it he has a third shoulder...

Anyone seen Total Recall...?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Spud83 wrote: »
    RTE: Conor Murray and Eoin Reddan set to be fit for start of Six Nations. Sean O'Brien trained fully today, likely to play vs England Saxons.

Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

INPHO_00888036.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

ssaye2 wrote: »
    INPHO_00888036.jpg

God I love Sean O'Brien. This news has just made my day.

I've really missed screaming 'GO ON SEAN O'BRIEN!!' at the telly whenever he punches through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Like this

956430.jpg

When you see all these pictures here you start to realise that "shit has just got real"

• Advertisement

If we actually had a full deck to pick from I'd have to pinch myself. Ofcourse I'd much rather a full deck in September than now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement