Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Read somewhere yesterday the suggestion is Madigan to start at 10 to give him some time playing 10....

Irish Times had reported that (Gerry Thornley I think); tbh I'm not sure of the logic. He'd be playing with a different 9, a different midfield and behind a different pack compared to the Italy game, plus the 10-12 roles are pretty fluid between himself and Gopperth at Leinster.

I'd rest Madigan and play Keatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Irish Times had reported that (Gerry Thornley I think); tbh I'm not sure of the logic. He'd be playing with a different 9, a different midfield and behind a different pack compared to the Italy game, plus the 10-12 roles are pretty fluid between himself and Gopperth at Leinster.

Was on interview with one of the backroom staff for Ireland. Said they know what Keatley can do at 10 but Madigan might need some time there as he has been playing 12 the last few games.....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,004 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i believe i heard someone involved in the coaching camp in an interview that they 'could' look at ian (madigan) for the WHs as he hasnt played there much this season for leinster, whereas they know exactly where ian keatley is as a 10

... my first impressions were that madigan would get the 10 shirt ... starting at least

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

sydthebeat wrote: »
    why?

he most likely will start at 10 against italy an he could do with the game time here to iron out his creases....

Because if he got injured we'd have Keatley starting against Italy. Neither are great options but Madigan offers more at the moment.

andymx11 wrote: »
    Because if he got injured we'd have Keatley starting against Italy. Neither are great options but Madigan offers more at the moment.

meh, might be quite marginal really. Madigan's not played 10 in a while.

• Advertisement

meh, might be quite marginal really. Madigan's not played 10 in a while.

I think Madigan could adapt quite easily he also has more international experience at 10- not ideal but I still have him a level above Keatley at the moment (last weeks goal kicking aside)

Agree, but it's marginal. Keatley starting ahead of Madigan (if Madigan got injured) doesn't really change how likely we are to beat Italy imo.

Agree, but it's marginal. Keatley starting ahead of Madigan (if Madigan got injured) doesn't really change how likely we are to beat Italy imo.

Maybe so, I'm more concerned on who will bench if Madigan was injured! JJ being snubbed at Munster doesn't help us!

JJ would make the Ireland bench in that scenario as it would be between himself, iHumph and Jack Carty for the spot.

Anyway, we can't always fear the worst. Madigan starting the WH game to give him some time at 10 is worth more than the 'cost' of the likelihood of him getting injured and it's following effects on our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Irish rugby fans are now at the stage where they're making plans to deal with the injuries of players who are just rumoured to be starting a single match! Shows how tough a season it's been for injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭bilston

JJ would make the Ireland bench in that scenario as it would be between himself, iHumph and Jack Carty for the spot.

Anyway, we can't always fear the worst. Madigan starting the WH game to give him some time at 10 is worth more than the 'cost' of the likelihood of him getting injured and it's following effects on our team.

Will never happen but in an emergency I would call Steenson up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Irish rugby fans are now at the stage where they're making plans to deal with the injuries of players who are just rumoured to be starting a single match! Shows how tough a season it's been for injuries.

Yeah, I've been thinking that for the last couple of days. Kinda dreading the Wolfhounds match as much as looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    Will never happen but in an emergency I would call Steenson up.
    If it came down to the wire it's J.J., him or iHumph who we know has his flaws (not as bad as most exaggerate) but for reasons attributable only to his superb pace and skills, I'd love to see get a cap. I've never forgotten how back in 08/09 NOC went to N. America with Ireland and the vastly more talented iHumph stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

JJ would probably get the nod because he's more familiar with the player group. Steenson is undoubtedly the more solid 10 but he wouldn't be familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

https://twitter.com/rugby_ie/status/560385097619484673

Wasn't aware Eoin was in extended squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not the greatest promo they've done, but BRING IT ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422327029&x-yt-cl=84838260&v=op0sQM8dpIU

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Add Dave Foley to the injury list: 3 months. :(

So POC, Toner and Henderson as our second rows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Depends where Henderson is played, McCarthy might come into the mix. Not sure Foley's absence really changes much, it was always McCarthy or Foley, not Foley or Henderson, if you get me.

I'm not sure McCarthy has been 100% fit all season. Look likes someone who is managing a knock as some games he gets stuck in and others he seems to be holding back.

When he has showed form this season though he has been impressive so could see him come into the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm not sure McCarthy has been 100% fit all season. Look likes someone who is managing a knock as some games he gets stuck in and others he seems to be holding back.

When he has showed form this season though he has been impressive so could see him come into the squad.

McCarthy had a stupid knock on in a match a few weeks ago (I forget which match), and he is playing like someone who has been making up for that ever since. I think he has been in good form and will be in with a shout, especially with Foley sidelined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Terrible luck for Foley. He had a great chance to further cement himself ahead of McCarthy in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Terrible luck for Foley. He had a great chance to further cement himself ahead of McCarthy in the pecking order.

Yes, despite McCarthy's form of late, I really fancy Foley for the future. He must be gutted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Shame alright that he got injured. Foley only has 2 caps so he hadn't exactly cemented himself ahead of anyone yet, but McCarthy is 7 years older and on the way out so he'll have plenty of time to do so. Will be in the WC squad assuming no more injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Dan Touhy is the bigger miss for us off the bench..If Hendo doesn't start he is nailed on for bench spot now. Sean O Brien is the interesting one, will he start in Italy??? I think he might !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

I wonder will that change things for the Wolfhounds game? At this stage, we only have 4 fit locks. POC and Toner are nailed on starters leaving Henderson and McCarthy to fight it out for the bench spot. I'd fancy Henderson to get that spot and play in the second row simply because of the shortage of second rows and the abundance of flankers in the squad.....needs must and all that.

Henderson will definitely play Friday but will McCarthy be risked? He's not short on game time and doesn't need the game in the way others do.....if he was to get injured it would be a disaster. If Mick Kearney wasn't injured I'd fancy him to be involved on Friday. Do people think McCarthy will start on Friday???

Diack might have to play lock.

What's Kevin McLoughlin up to these days? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just read on the IT site thar Schmidt is saying SOB will basically come straight back in. He's in full training, contact, everything.

Just read on the IT site thar Schmidt is saying SOB will basically come straight back in. He's in full training, contact, everything.

Superman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

It has to be Henderson and McCarthy for the WH game anyway, with Henderson as the bench option for Italy and the rest of the tournament please God!!

Who's next if the unthinkable happens and we need another lock?! McLaughlin, Tuohy, Foley, Kearney (not sure how long he's out for), both Donnchas all out... Holland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement