Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

aquinn wrote: »
    I've no idea what 'the Beast' is. Will have to start another training log.

it sounds like great craic altogether... http://www.beastofballyhoura.com/disciplines.php, hats off to you Neady - does each team member do one part or is it combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Firedance wrote: »
    it sounds like great craic altogether... http://www.beastofballyhoura.com/disciplines.php, hats off to you Neady - does each team member do one part or is it combined?

Thanks Firedance, it should be a fun three days :D

It's combined so we have to stay together at all times. We've been training for that with lots of team days out though but pacing will be a big factor and getting nutrition right.

If I survive, I'd love to follow yer tails around the DCM course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

It sounds incredible. I've been fascinated by the updates on Career Move's log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Neady83 wrote: »
    If I survive, I'd love to follow yer tails around the DCM course :)

That sounds like a commitment! You're in! :)

Wednesday:
    Target: 4M easy
    Actual: 7.8k @ 5.34 min/km [4.9M @ 9.00 min/mi]
    Nice easy run with two colleagues. One of the lads is a gung-ho-hell-for-leather type of a dude who always leaves us in his dust, just for the slower guys to slowly catch up when he needs to stop to do some gasping.

Today was no different :D as me and the other fella (DCM 2014 grad) ticked along nicely and compared training plans for DCM 2015. We had a bit more time than usual so went a bit longer. Uneventful, pleasant, farmer's tan.

Thursday:
    Target & Actual: Sweet nothing

Friday:
    Target: Pilates
    Actual: Pilates followed by 3M easy * 5x strides
    I did a Pilates class as cross-training. Really basic stuff but quite harsh on the legs. The teacher is excellent and doesn't let you get away with much.

As our esteemed mentor DG pointed out, she'd like to see a "keep the engine ticking" session today, so I went out straight after for 3 easy miles with some strides on the home stretch.

Out-and-back session, first 2km flew by, I felt like flying. As I turned around, I realized there was a strong tailwind now blowing straight in my face. :rolleyes: The strides were harder as a result - particularly the first attempt was pathetic.

Right-so, the thoughts turn to tomorrow's 10k. My 10k PB is 47.00 (March this year) although I have my doubt about the accuracy of that time (I recorded ~47:19 on the day). That day, the conditions weren't perfect (strong wind) and the course a little hillier than tomorrow's. So, plenty of reasons to be optimistic.

So the plan is a simple one: run like a madman target pace is 4:40 min/km [7:30 min/miles], and 10 of those would mean 46m40. So, keep that going until halfway, tune it back a little bit for the drag in the second part, and then hopefully have something left in the tank for a decent finish. What could possibly go wrong! :cool:

B.t.w. if anyone sees a tall, allegedly Dutch-looking guy in a Connemara 2015 t-shirt, do say hello!

Week 4/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | 4M easy incl 6x100 strides| 4M easy incl 6x100 strides
    Tue | 6M easy | 10.0k @ 5.42 [6.3M @ 9:10]
    Wed | 4M easy | 7.8k @ 5.34 [4.9M @ 9.00]
    Thu | rest | check! :D
    Fri | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates & 3M easy with 5x100 strides
    Sat| Dunshaughlin 10k |
    Sun | 3M recovery |

• Advertisement

Good luck. No bother to you!

Good luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good luck tomorrow. After Connemara you won't even notice the hills in the 2nd half. If anything, I found the second half quicker last year.

So, you're tall and Dutch, but not Dutch-looking ? How does that work ;) ?

Good luck. No bother to you!

Ehmm, I am not that optimistic :o but thanks for the vote of confidence! Still hoping for your recovery!
    Good luck tomorrow!

Thank you, you too! No doubt you'll nail your PB with your specialized training.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow. After Connemara you won't even notice the hills in the 2nd half. If anything, I found the second half quicker last year.

So, you're tall and Dutch, but not Dutch-looking ? How does that work ;) ?

Ah, thank you - that's good to know. I read a good description of the course on KC's blog and he recommended pulling back a little. But that's maybe for the elite runners.

As for the Dutchness, I'm probably in Ireland too long... See, I'm even logging in miles now. :eek:

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you smash that pb :):) the Connemara top will surely help you that hill. Looking forward to a smashing race report :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow, hope you smash that pb :):) the Connemara top will surely help you that hill. Looking forward to a smashing race report :)

Thank you Neady - the pressure! :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Best of luck this evening, Nop! do it for the honour of the Dutch!!! (and please stick to Km... we need critical mass... :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck N! Hope it all goes the way you want :)

Dunshaughlin 10k: 46:07 (PB by 0:53, as well as 5k PB en-route) :D:D

Well, that went rather well :)

I was, as usual, unsure what to expect or aim for. Having done plenty of slow kilometres [miles] over the past few weeks, didn't seem the ideal prep. But sure, I might as well try and better my previous 10k outing, 47:00 in the Phoenix Park in March.

My 8yo most-loyal supporter came along (in an orange t-shirt) and we dropped the car with the in-laws, right outside town, while collecting his granddad. The two of them waited near "race HQ" for me to pass by right after the start, and would then wander over to the finish line.

I headed over to the starting line in good time, and did some warm-up and stretches. Very warm and sunny, and a bit of a breeze which seemed to be in our backs for the start of the race.

Pre-race plan was (based on the various reports here on boards) to set out at target-pace (4.40 [7.30]), hold steady until 6km, hold-off a little on the inclines, and then hit for home from about 8km. Turns out I executed 2/3 parts perfectly. :D

I find a place somewhere between the "40 min" and "50 min" markers, when modesty makes me think I am too far forward, and I move a little further back. All very low-key, suddenly everyone is moving and I hit the Garmin button on what I think is the start-line. Not sure if I got that right.

First 3km in 4:37, 4:39, 4:36 [7.25, 7.29, 7.24]
    Rather straightforward start. I need to wave a little to make up for my starting position but the road is very wide and it presents no real problems. I make sure to stay on the right-hand side to see my son and father in-law. They are happily snapping some pictures so I try to look relaxed and smiley. Haven't seen the pictures yet. :) A little further, I see a neighbour from back home with her kids - she's an amazing runner (sub-40 I think) so I am surprised she's not running. I figure her husband is racing today (he's equally amazing). Anyway, I get a nice wave and shouts of encouragement.

The km-splits are a little faster than planned but I am happy enough with that. We have the winds in our back and I am very comfortable, so I want to bank some time.

The sun is quite warm and is also in our backs. It's quite warm and I sweat a lot.

Second 3km in 4:42, 4:41, 4:35 [7:33, 7:32, 7:22]
    I am very keen to find a couple of runners to pace myself off and I keep zooming in on club-singlets (as I think they know what they're doing). But they keep dropping off the pace so I keep overtaking. I have one lady in my sights with a green (non-club) singlet and she's running strongly.

Still very comfortable and legs feel fine, breathing is fine, actually much better than I think - and better that the average runner around me. Check the posture, all good.

I notice how the km-splits are suddenly above target-time and I have a wee chat with myself. More a stern-talking to. Also, at this point, the continuous group of runners I'm in suddenly splits in two with me in the second part. I need no more encouragement and accelerate to join the faster group, which include the green-singlet girl.

We come past the official water stop (there were plenty of impromptu support stations set up by local residents - very nice thought) and to my surprise and disappointment, my green-clad pacer stops for a water break. I don't take water (never really do in a 10k) so that's the end of that.

The 6th km also includes the one sharp little downhill session. I am surprised at how most folks don't use it. The runners around me all lean back and break against the acceleration. I might have more hill-training done so I just let-go and easily open a 20-30m gap without any effort, I just always make sure I decelerate back to target pace as soon as it evens out.

Km's 7 and 8 in 4:34, 4:39 [7:20, 7:29]
    A sharp turn right, and there's an immediate incline. The sharp end of the race has arrived (well, the winners are home already at this point :o). I had planned to take it easy here, especially now I know I have some time in the bag. But somehow it doesn't happen. The effort certainly increases and my breathing is heavier, but the legs are still fine and they keep turning out the required pace. I am surprised but I decide to just go with it.

The sun is also right in our faces. It's hard to see anything beyond the 20-30 meters in front of you, which actually really focuses the mind. I don't try and find anyone at the right pace, I can't really see far enough ahead. Not needed. I am still overtaking folks a-plenty, and I feel strangely calm and in-the-zone. Focus on the next runner, check, next one, check.

Km's 9 and 10 in 4:20, 4:25 [6:58, 7:06].
    The "run like a madman" bit. I had planned to use the 8th km marker as the sign to increase speed, and for the first time I feel complaints from various body parts :rolleyes: But I ignore this and accelerate. The sun is now starting to annoy me and I push as hard as I can through the sunny bits. I can hear the loudspeaker up ahead, which is the usual great boost.

The 9th km is faster than I had imagined and it takes me by surprise. Have I gone too soon? I think about this report and I really don't want to have to write "that's where it all went pear-shaped" or something like that.

Final km marker and well in the red zone. Two local lads in front of me get a lot of support from the sidelines. They seem to be strolling, not racing, as they have plenty of breath to chat with the spectators.

An "800 meter" sign. I debate if I like that or not. It certainly brings reality close ("was that really only 200m from the last km-marker") but it is a good focal point. But then, oh, cruelty, no 600m sign (or at least I missed it). The 400 meter sign is a nice surprise and I start to push as hard as I can. The two local chatterbox lads are finally caught and dispatched and I see the finish clock. Only 45:xx, is a sub-46 possible? No, alas, 46:0x when I reach it...

Cold water bottle on offer at the finish-line and I almost snatch the poor lad's hand off. My son is there, beaming, and his granddad, chatting to all the locals. Must be a Meath thing. Anyway, I am truly delighted and oddly enough, once I catch my breath, I feel fine.

I turn to the finish-line to see if I can catch Firedance finishing and I think I see (what I think must be) her coming in sub-55, delighted!

My decision to move further back at the start almost certainly cost me a sub-46. No starting mat means that the official time is gun-time. According to Strava my 10k time was 45:44. Oh well, see if I care (I don't) :D

I am *really* pleased and surprise to note that the second 5k of the race was my fastest 5k ever (this is more to do with my 5k PB being quite soft). Bungy Girl suggested a negative split and she was right. I need to figure out how to pace one of those pesky 5ks properly, because I always blow it in the first or second km.

Anyway. I am DAMN pleased with this effort. :D I also feel there's plenty of improvement still to come. But that's for another time. I am stopping typing now!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done, great running..sorry not to chat to you afterwards

nop98 wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin 10k: 46:07 (PB by 0:53, as well as 5k PB en-route) :D:D

Well, that went rather well :)

I was, as usual, unsure what to expect or aim for. Having done plenty of slow kilometres [miles] over the past few weeks, didn't seem the ideal prep. But sure, I might as well try and better my previous 10k outing, 47:00 in the Phoenix Park in March.

My 8yo most-loyal supporter came along (in an orange t-shirt) and we dropped the car with the in-laws, right outside town, while collecting his granddad. The two of them waited near "race HQ" for me to pass by right after the start, and would then wander over to the finish line.

I headed over to the starting line in good time, and did some warm-up and stretches. Very warm and sunny, and a bit of a breeze which seemed to be in our backs for the start of the race.

Pre-race plan was (based on the various reports here on boards) to set out at target-pace (4.40 [7.30]), hold steady until 6km, hold-off a little on the inclines, and then hit for home from about 8km. Turns out I executed 2/3 parts perfectly. :D

I find a place somewhere between the "40 min" and "50 min" markers, when modesty makes me think I am too far forward, and I move a little further back. All very low-key, suddenly everyone is moving and I hit the Garmin button on what I think is the start-line. Not sure if I got that right.

First 3km in 4:37, 4:39, 4:36 [7.25, 7.29, 7.24]
    Rather straightforward start. I need to wave a little to make up for my starting position but the road is very wide and it presents no real problems. I make sure to stay on the right-hand side to see my son and father in-law. They are happily snapping some pictures so I try to look relaxed and smiley. Haven't seen the pictures yet. :) A little further, I see a neighbour from back home with her kids - she's an amazing runner (sub-40 I think) so I am surprised she's not running. I figure her husband is racing today (he's equally amazing). Anyway, I get a nice wave and shouts of encouragement.

The km-splits are a little faster than planned but I am happy enough with that. We have the winds in our back and I am very comfortable, so I want to bank some time.

The sun is quite warm and is also in our backs. It's quite warm and I sweat a lot.

Second 3km in 4:42, 4:41, 4:35 [7:33, 7:32, 7:22]
    I am very keen to find a couple of runners to pace myself off and I keep zooming in on club-singlets (as I think they know what they're doing). But they keep dropping off the pace so I keep overtaking. I have one lady in my sights with a green (non-club) singlet and she's running strongly.

Still very comfortable and legs feel fine, breathing is fine, actually much better than I think - and better that the average runner around me. Check the posture, all good.

I notice how the km-splits are suddenly above target-time and I have a wee chat with myself. More a stern-talking to. Also, at this point, the continuous group of runners I'm in suddenly splits in two with me in the second part. I need no more encouragement and accelerate to join the faster group, which include the green-singlet girl.

We come past the official water stop (there were plenty of impromptu support stations set up by local residents - very nice thought) and to my surprise and disappointment, my green-clad pacer stops for a water break. I don't take water (never really do in a 10k) so that's the end of that.

The 6th km also includes the one sharp little downhill session. I am surprised at how most folks don't use it. The runners around me all lean back and break against the acceleration. I might have more hill-training done so I just let-go and easily open a 20-30m gap without any effort, I just always make sure I decelerate back to target pace as soon as it evens out.

Km's 7 and 8 in 4:34, 4:39 [7:20, 7:29]
    A sharp turn right, and there's an immediate incline. The sharp end of the race has arrived (well, the winners are home already at this point :o). I had planned to take it easy here, especially now I know I have some time in the bag. But somehow it doesn't happen. The effort certainly increases and my breathing is heavier, but the legs are still fine and they keep turning out the required pace. I am surprised but I decide to just go with it.

The sun is also right in our faces. It's hard to see anything beyond the 20-30 meters in front of you, which actually really focuses the mind. I don't try and find anyone at the right pace, I can't really see far enough ahead. Not needed. I am still overtaking folks a-plenty, and I feel strangely calm and in-the-zone. Focus on the next runner, check, next one, check.

Km's 9 and 10 in 4:20, 4:25 [6:58, 7:06].
    The "run like a madman" bit. I had planned to use the 8th km marker as the sign to increase speed, and for the first time I feel complaints from various body parts :rolleyes: But I ignore this and accelerate. The sun is now starting to annoy me and I push as hard as I can through the sunny bits. I can hear the loudspeaker up ahead, which is the usual great boost.

The 9th km is faster than I had imagined and it takes me by surprise. Have I gone too soon? I think about this report and I really don't want to have to write "that's where it all went pear-shaped" or something like that.

Final km marker and well in the red zone. Two local lads in front of me get a lot of support from the sidelines. They seem to be strolling, not racing, as they have plenty of breath to chat with the spectators.

An "800 meter" sign. I debate if I like that or not. It certainly brings reality close ("was that really only 200m from the last km-marker") but it is a good focal point. But then, oh, cruelty, no 600m sign (or at least I missed it). The 400 meter sign is a nice surprise and I start to push as hard as I can. The two local chatterbox lads are finally caught and dispatched and I see the finish clock. Only 45:xx, is a sub-46 possible? No, alas, 46:0x when I reach it...

Cold water bottle on offer at the finish-line and I almost snatch the poor lad's hand off. My son is there, beaming, and his granddad, chatting to all the locals. Must be a Meath thing. Anyway, I am truly delighted and oddly enough, once I catch my breath, I feel fine.

I turn to the finish-line to see if I can catch Firedance finishing and I think I see (what I think must be) her coming in sub-55, delighted!

My decision to move further back at the start almost certainly cost me a sub-46. No starting mat means that the official time is gun-time. According to Strava my 10k time was 45:44. Oh well, see if I care (I don't) :D

I am *really* pleased and surprise to note that the second 5k of the race was my fastest 5k ever (this is more to do with my 5k PB being quite soft). Bungy Girl suggested a negative split and she was right. I need to figure out how to pace one of those pesky 5ks properly, because I always blow it in the first or second km.

Anyway. I am DAMN pleased with this effort. :D I also feel there's plenty of improvement still to come. But that's for another time. I am stopping typing now!

Brilliant nope! Really glad you got such a fantastic time, it was hot out there to tonight....so sorry not to have spotted you, I did look before & after, ha ha I hope you didn't see me coming over the line it was far from pretty :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great stuff, Nop... sounds like a tough enough evening but you certainly sound like you were in the zone... all that hill training for Connemara still in the legs! Congrats!!! :)

Sounds like you had the perfect race in every area! Really enjoyed reading your report N, you sound as if you felt strong throughout. A very well-deserved PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Well done nop, super report, sounds like you paced it perfectly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's a fantastic race, well done.

Great result :). to have a 5k PB in the second half is incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, Nop. Great race and report. Knew those hills would be no bother to you ;) Agree that you're not doing yourself justice in the 5K and there's clearly loads more for the taking at that distance. I struggle a bit with judging pace for 5K, but I think it needs specific training to get it right. Something to focus on after the marathon maybe ?

Thank you for all your kind words!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done, great running..sorry not to chat to you afterwards

Thank you - no worries. Sorry to hear your race didn't go to plan, but your time is something I (and many with me) can only dream about!
    Brilliant nope! Really glad you got such a fantastic time, it was hot out there to tonight....so sorry not to have spotted you, I did look before & after, ha ha I hope you didn't see me coming over the line it was far from pretty :-) :-)

Yeah, I was looking out too, but I am sure I saw you finish. You looked very strong and equally delighted!
    annapr wrote: »
    Great stuff, Nop... sounds like a tough enough evening but you certainly sound like you were in the zone... all that hill training for Connemara still in the legs! Congrats!!! :)

Thank you Anna - it was warm but manageable. Very much in the zone indeed - t.b.h. it felt great all the way around. Can't ask for more! :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Sounds like you had the perfect race in every area! Really enjoyed reading your report N, you sound as if you felt strong throughout. A very well-deserved PB!

Thank you! As before, your words were ringing in my ears. I remember somewhere before the 9km mark, I just came out of the shadow into a really bright, uphill drag. I could hardly see anything with the low-standing bright sun. It unsettled me and I tucked in behind a runner I was about to overtake. At this point I recalled you writing in one of your epic race-reports about not to allow the panic to settle in, because that's what's doing the damage. So I managed to calm down somewhat and get going again. I can't recall how many good tips I have picked up here, from everybody.
    Runchick wrote: »
    Well done nop, super report, sounds like you paced it perfectly :)

Thank you! Yes, it worked out great. :)
    aquinn wrote: »
    That's a fantastic race, well done.

Many thanks :)
    Great result :). to have a 5k PB in the second half is incredible!

Thank you Hillside! I couldn't quite believe it. After the race my watch was beeping very enthusiastically. I thought it wanted to tell me about a 10k PB but instead it mentioned a 5k PB? Come again? Didn't have time to dwell on it at that time, but when I looked again later, the second 5k was in 22:30. That's 10 seconds faster than my Marlay parkrun PB! :D That said, I've never really gone for a 5k. But I'll take it!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done, Nop. Great race and report. Knew those hills would be no bother to you ;) Agree that you're not doing yourself justice in the 5K and there's clearly loads more for the taking at that distance. I struggle a bit with judging pace for 5K, but I think it needs specific training to get it right. Something to focus on after the marathon maybe ?

Thank you BG, you had suggested the negative split! I don't really know how to tackle a 5k :) I have done both starting too slow and too fast. I doubt if the Novices mentor will give me a permission-slip for another shorter-distance race soon, so it'll indeed have to wait.

I'm sure we can slip in a parkrun somewhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great report, well done!

Saturday: Dunshaughlin 10k
    Enough said :)

Sunday:
    Target: 3M recovery
    Actual: 5.2k @ 6.02 min/km [3.2M @ 9.42 min/mi]
    What it says on the tin.

Week 4/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | 4M easy incl 6x100 strides| 4M easy incl 6x100 strides
    Tue | 6M easy | 10.0k @ 5.42 [6.3M @ 9:10]
    Wed | 4M easy | 7.8k @ 5.34 [4.9M @ 9.00]
    Thu | rest | check! :D
    Fri | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates & 3M easy with 5x100 strides
    Sat| Dunshaughlin 10k | 10k @ 4.35 [6.3M @ 7.35]
    Sun | 3M recovery | 5.2k @ 6.02 [3.2M @ 9.42]

Week 1/18

Thinking ahead to next week. Focus needs to be on a proper LSR after the shorter work this week.

| B.ie plan | Planned | Actual
    Mon | rest/rec | rest |
    Tue | 3M easy | 4/5M easy |
    Wed | 4M w/ strides | 4M w/ strides |
    Thu | 3M easy | 4/5M easy |
    Fri | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates & 3M w/ strides |
    Sat| 8M LSR| 10M LSR |
    Sun | 2M recovery | 3M recovery |

Whoop whoop absolutely delighted for you Nop :):) That was savage going, fair play to you. I can feel your excitement, you must be so chuffed that the hard work is paying off. Well done and nice reporting too, I felt like I was there :)

chickey2 wrote: »
    Great report, well done!

Thank you! :)
    Whoop whoop absolutely delighted for you Nop :):) That was savage going, fair play to you. I can feel your excitement, you must be so chuffed that the hard work is paying off. Well done and nice reporting too, I felt like I was there :)

Thank you Neady! It was a great evening and a real PB course. Very much back down to earth now - given what's starting in earnest tomorrow.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done yesterday, great running. Just what your training deserves.

Advertisement