Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Just catching up here :o ....but go to the top of the class :D:D Sometimes you got to go backwards to go forwards ;)
    (Your greyhound friends will thank you too, they're probably going too fast also. Tell them we said slow down....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Sunday:
    'Active recovery' in the form of an energetic 8yo inspired by the two televised Dublin matches, but no running.

Monday:
    Target: 8M easy, 5:50-6:00 min/km [9:23-9:39 min/mi].
    Actual: 13k @ 5:53 min/km [8.1M @ 9.28 min/mi]

Up early to get some miles in before the weather is supposed to turn. Uneventful easy running, over my usual track for a medium-long run. Through Rathmichael, up towards Kilternan, right-turn towards the bridge-to-nowhere over the M50, downhill towards Cabinteely. I resist the temptation to do another lap of that Park (having done 4 on Saturday) :D and instead turn south along the N11. Nasty headwind make sure the pace stays low while putting in a decent shift. I'm rather pleased with the run, right on the button in terms of pace and distance.

Week 2/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | 8M easy | 13k @ 5:53 [8.1M @ 9.28]
    Tue | 4M easy with 5x100 strides |
    Wed | Cross (Pilates) |
    Thu | 4M easy |
    Fri | Cross (Circuits) |
    Sat| 12M LSR |
    Sun | rest |

Tuesday:
    Target: 4M easy, 5:50-6:00 min/km [9:23-9:39 min/mi] with strides.
    Actual: 4.1M all over the place, 5.27 min/km [8:46 min/mi] with 3k @5k pace.

Went out for my usual lunchtime loop, met by very blustery conditions. My planned run changed in the first couple of 100 meters. There was very strong wind running along the length of my route, meaning I would run half of the loop with it, and the other half against it (the loop is kinda rectangular shaped [500m - 3k - 300m - 3k] and the wind was along the long side of it). So, instead of doing strides, I decided to do the 3k with the wind at a decent pace (5k pace) while running the rest as warm-up and cool-down. I'll chalk this one up as my tempo run for the week.

Not too impressed with the lack of discipline on my part, as I chose for the easier option, but a good workout was had nonetheless.

Wednesday:
    Pilates, good session. A funny moment occurred during a particularly strenuous stretching exercise. The lady made some reference to 'accepting the pain' of the stretch (the good pain, obviously) and 'letting it in'. I had to stop myself from asking if her name was 'Dubgal' :)

Thursday:
    Target: 4M easy, 5:50-6:00 min/km [9:23-9:39 min/mi] with strides.
    Actual: 4.4M @ 5:47 min/km [9:18 min/mi]

Same loop, less wind, determined not to go too fast. Managed to slow down the entire group to numerous complaints and insults not to be repeated here (all in good spirits). At some point, my buddies were accelerating again, and I just let them go as instructed. Really enjoyable run in sunny conditions, never broke a sweat really.

Also, I signed up for Dunshauglin (10k) - I didn't realize this race was on but the in-laws live just outside the town and were asking if I was doing it. The last 'hurrah' before the boards training plan for DCM starts the week after!

Week 2/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Tue | 4M easy with 5x100 strides | 6.6k @ 5.27 [4.1M @ 8.47]
    Wed | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates
    Thu | 4M easy | 7.2k @ 5.47 [4.4M @ 9:18]
    Fri | Cross (Circuits) |
    Sat| 12M LSR |
    Sun | rest |

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done keeping the paces down - there will be a big boards contingent in Dunshaughlin I think, see you there!

Firedance wrote: »
    Well done keeping the paces down - there will be a big boards contingent in Dunshaughlin I think, see you there!

Looking forward to seeing you there, FD, with your shiny HM PB :)

• Advertisement

Friday:
    Circuits class, which was mainly boxercise. Brutal as usual, squats, jump kicks, burpees, etc. I have decided to discontinue these classes when their current instalment ends, which'll be 2 weeks from now. All benefits are offset by being wrecked the entire weekend.

As I was plotting my long run for the weekend, I got an invitation to join a friend and some of her running buddies for some easy trail running on Sunday morning. So I quickly swapped my weekend days around, which suited fine as the legs were s.o.r.e. and the planned LSR for Saturday morning had me worried.

Saturday:
    Target: 3M recovery.
    Actual: 3M recovery :) 4.9k @ 6.05 min/km [9:47 min/mi]

Brought the daughter to her GA training and circled laps around the field she was playing on. There's a walking path about half-a-mile long, so about 6 laps would be adequate. The place was teeming with kids and the weather alternating between glorious and windy.

Sunday:
    Target: 12M LSR
    Actual: 10.9M @ 17.4km @ 6:08 min/km [9:52 min/mi]

Met with my friend and we ran up to the rendez-vous point where she had arranged to meet her friends. Really nice bunch of folks, all experienced club runners, but very welcoming to the newbie (me). We were soon off on some trails in between Bray and Greystones, unknown to me, with glorious views. Quite hilly and uneven paths, certainly harder than what I had done before, and a good few fences to be cleared.

After about an hour we were back at our starting point and said goodbye to the group. Ran back to my car, I had hoped the total to be near 12M, but I am happy enough with the slightly lower distance, as the track was much harder then I had planned.

Stunning day, and I really enjoyed running with the group. :cool:

Week 2/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Tue | 4M easy with 5x100 strides | 6.6k @ 5.27 [4.1M @ 8.47]
    Wed | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates
    Thu | 4M easy | 7.2k @ 5.47 [4.4M @ 9:18]
    Fri | Cross (Circuits) | Boxercise
    Sat| 12M LSR | recovery 4.9k @ 6:05 [3.1M @ 9:47]
    Sun | rest | 17.4km @ 6:08 min/km [10.9M @ 9:52]

All-in-all, a decent weeks running.

Monday:
    Rest

Tuesday:
    Target: 4M easy
    Actual: 4.2M easy: 4.9k @ 5:34 min/km [9:00 min/mi]
    Easy run in perfect conditions. Actually had quite a frustrating couple of days, work-wise, so it was perfect timing to go out and pound the pavement. Recurring theme is that this was a little too fast :( and it is something to work on.

Legs were sore from the circuits last week, and the hilly trails on Sunday. I am not returning to the circuits class - instead I have dusted off my bike and plan to add bike-commutes as cross training (this would be a 20km roundtrip).

Exciting is that I ran into a colleague (a DCM '14 graduate) that I haven't seen in ages, and he confirmed he's doing DCM again this year. We immediately compared training plans and objectives and resolved to do some of the training together. Happy days.

Week 3/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | rest | rest
    Tue | 4M easy | 6.9k @ 5.34 [4.2M @ 9:00]
    Wed | Cross (Pilates) |
    Thu | 4M easy |
    Fri | Cross (?) |
    Sat| 13M LSR |
    Sun | 3M recovery |

Wednesday lunchtime: Pilates - usual good stuff.

Wednesday PM:
    Target: go out and enjoy the sunshine
    Actual: 4.4M easy: 7.1k @ 5:42 min/km [9:13 min/mi] w/ final 1km @ 10k pace

I had not planned any running but the weather was just too nice. Also, I am getting quite proficient at bringing one of my kids to their GA training, and then just circle around the park at easy pace. I should have thought about this months ago! :rolleyes:

Lovely evening for it, I just cruised around, stopping briefly to fix hurling helmets and mouthguards when needed. My first 6 km-splits were all within 2 seconds from eachother (running like a clock, me. Well, a slow clock :D). Towards the end, the legs felt they wanted a wee stretch, so I accelerate to 10k pace for 1km. They didn't mind.

Nice c/down and stretch afterwards. Fine way to spend the evening.

Week 3/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | rest | rest
    Wed | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates and 4.4M easy, with 1k @ 10k [9.13 overall]
    Thu | 4M easy |
    Fri | Cross (?) |
    Sat| 13M LSR |
    Sun | 3M recovery |

Thursday:
    Target: 4M easy
    Actual: 6.9k @ 5.45 min/km [4.3M @ 9.15 min/mi]
    Lunchtime run with occasional running Dutch colleague. Totally relaxed, lovely sunny day. Yapped all around (me more than my buddy). Fine, easy run.

Friday:
    The plan was to not do the hamstring destroying circuits class, but maybe a Pilates session instead. Come lunchtime, the Pilates class was also scrapped, this time in favour of take-away organic falafel wraps, overlooking Leopardstown Racecourse and the Dublin Mountains, with a colleague. Yumm. :cool:

Thursday:
    Target: 13M LSR
    Actual: 21.2k @ 6.15 min/km [13.2M @ 10.04 min/mi]
    Well pleased with this effort.

Up early to try out a new route I had been planning to do for a while: from home, towards Dun Laoghaire harbour past Thomastown Park, and then back home along the coastal road.

It was quite fresh and windy, so I wrapped up and set off on LSR pace. The first part of the route was actually not overly enjoyable, bad footpaths (or non existent at all), and the usual a-hole drivers who think they have the right of way because they're in a car. Also, the first part towards DL was hillier than I thought. I drive these roads a lot and you never really notice. :confused:

Took a gel in Dun Laoghaire (first time, as recommended in the novices thread) which was okay, I can't tell if it made much of a difference. There were tons of runners out along the seafront, a large group congregating outside Teddy's ice-cream place.

The drag out of Dalkey onto Killiney Hill was long and hard, and my pace was well down. Running slowly downhill seemed harder than just letting go, so in the end I just let the legs do whatever felt right.

I added an extra couple of loops towards the end of the run as I was very keen to hit the 13.1M mark in training. This also included some reasonable inclines, in total, 243m according to Strava.

First time hitting a HM distance in training, and to top it, this was my longest run (timewise), ever. :o

Week 3/4 of pre-June 22:

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | rest | rest
    Wed | Cross (Pilates) | Pilates and 4.4M easy, with 1k @ 10k [9.13 overall]
    Thu | 4M easy | 6.9k @ 5.45 [4.2M @ 9.15 ]
    Fri | Cross (?) | rest
    Sat| 13M LSR | 21.2k @ 6.15 [13.2M @ 10.04]
    Sun | 3M recovery |

Nice week's training N. Don't forget about throwing in some strides towards the end of a run if your legs feel like a stretch :)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Nice week's training N. Don't forget about throwing in some strides towards the end of a run if your legs feel like a stretch :)

Thank you. 3 or 4 times 4-5 easy miles planned during the week, so I'll get striding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

nop98 wrote: »
    and the usual a-hole drivers who think they have the right of way because they're in a car.

a large group congregating outside Teddy's ice-cream place.

The drag out of Dalkey onto Killiney Hill was long and hard,

First time hitting a HM distance in training, and to top it, this was my longest run (timewise), ever. :o

[/Table]

well done on your longest run :-), I hope the views of Dalkey/Killiney made up for the hills, I love running out there, its tough but beautiful - did you stop for a Teddy's ice cream??? y-u-m-m-y, and worth it too :D. Something I noticed in Chicago, the drivers are WAY more considerate to runners over there than here - it's shocking sometimes how rude people can be - if anyone does let you pass here I assume they're a runner!

The views are stunning. The sun was just coming out, it was quite enough (just runners and swimmers(!) on their way to Sandycove). It's excellent hill training. Further south, there's a loop exactly a mile long (the block around the all-girls school in Killiney) which has a serious climb in it. I do that to add to the distance if needed.

I don't know why I bothered running North "in-land" along the main roads. Next time I'll be going out-and-back via the coastal road.

Skipped Teddy's, 'twas a bit early :) but I'll bring a few quid next time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice long run Nop :) that's a great confidence booster and I bet you could have kept going. Will you go for 14miles this week?

I don't use gels but I always have a few dextro energy tablets in my pocket, just in case. They give a nice instant energy kick if you need it.

Thanks for logging in miles too, I understand that language much better :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice long run Nop :) that's a great confidence booster and I bet you could have kept going. Will you go for 14miles this week?

I don't use gels but I always have a few dextro energy tablets in my pocket, just in case. They give a nice instant energy kick if you need it.

Thanks for logging in miles too, I understand that language much better :)

Yeah - felt good towards the very end. A bit tired, but I think that was more to do with the fact that I was nearing home and I wanted to be done. I have noticed this before, the tiredness originates from the head rather than the legs.

Unfortunately not going for 14M next weekend, rather for a PB over 10k in Dunshaughlin. No idea if the legs are up for it but we'll give it a lash :)

After that, the mileage will go up quickly as DCM training will start in earnest. What about you - are you taking the plunge too after The Beast?

Miles vs kilometres :D as I figured I can't win by being principled about it, I'll log in both.

Monday:
    Target: 4M easy with strides
    Actual: ~4.3M with 6x100 strides, ~5.30 min/km.
    No watch so ran this "by feel" at lunchtime with one of my faster colleagues. We went slow and easy for the first bit, somewhat uphill and in the wind, chatting way.

We accelerated during the large downhill section and flew home for the last 2k, including 6x strides, assisted by a strong tailwind. It was faster than planned but felt easy enough. Really focussed on the strides (not increase the turnover, just the pace - no idea if I'm doing it right but it seems useful) and form throughout.

Tuesday:
    Target: 6M easy
    Actual: 10.0k @ 5.42 min/km [6.3M @ 9:10 min/mi]
    Surprisingly not-so-easy. :(

I arranged a later start time in work, so I would have time to get an early morning run after dropping kids to school. I went to Shanganagh and effectively did the parkrun loop twice. Somehow, the park felt humid and stuffy (it was overcast and there was no wind at all), and the first couple of km were really very laboured (and too fast).

Did some stern internal talking-to-myself to impose some discipline: slow down and relax, as it really felt like a DNF for the first while.

Anyway, got through the rough patch and finished the run more or less on target. What helped was that there was a couple of folks out walking that I knew, and it was a funny distraction to see them over again (as I kept doing the same loop).

As I looped along the playground for the last time, I saw a large bunch of kids in school uniform, including my own daughter! I had forgotten she had a "school trip" today and there she was, amidst about 15 other kids in the basket swing. Really perked me up.

Not the best of runs but glad to have worked through it.

Week 4/4 of pre-June 22:
    This'll be a bit of an odd week. Everything non-running is rather manic so I'll struggle to find the time. I'll hit about 23-25M max, just about enough the gain entry into the Novices spreadsheet.

There's also a 10k race on Saturday for which I feel somewhat ill-prepared (having only done slow stuff lately). More than willing to give it a go, but not sure what to expect.

| Planned| Actual
    Mon | 4M easy incl 6x100 strides| 4M easy incl 6x100 strides
    Tue | 6M easy | 10.0k @ 5.42 [6.3M @ 9:10]
    Wed | 4M easy |
    Thu | rest |
    Fri | Cross (Pilates) |
    Sat| Dunshaughlin 10k |
    Sun | 3M recovery |

Best of luck 'tall Dutch-looking guy' in Dunshaughlin (heehee still giggling at annapr's 'perception' :D ) Any chance you could get out on Thursday or Friday for a very easy 3 miles incl 4x100m gentle strides just to keep the engine ticking over for Saturday?

Ps your application for permission slip must have got lost in the 'in tray' but you're allowed race sat ;):D

Best of luck 'tall Dutch-looking guy' in Dunshaughlin (heehee still giggling at annapr's 'perception' :D ) Any chance you could get out on Thursday or Friday for a very easy 3 miles incl 4x100m gentle strides just to keep the engine ticking over for Saturday?

Ps your application for permission slip must have got lost in the 'in tray' but you're allowed race sat ;):D

Your application for a 3M + 4x100 strides has been received and will be processed in due course. :rolleyes:

The very best of luck in Dunshaughlin to you too. I'm sure you'll be all relaxed and recovered by the time I collapse over the finish line!

Your application for a 3M + 4x100 strides has been received and will be processed in due course. :rolleyes:

The very best of luck in Dunshaughlin to you too. I'm sure you'll be all relaxed and recovered by the time I collapse over the finish line!

Hehe. And thanks but no Dunshaughlin for me :( short stuff only for the next few weeks. A parkrun is officially on the menu tho, 4th July I believe....must start to think about printing off barcode......

After that, the mileage will go up quickly as DCM training will start in earnest. What about you - are you taking the plunge too after The Beast?

I'm so tempted because I've never done a marathon though I don't know how my body will be after the Beast so I'm not signing up just yet. I've registered for the Athlone flatline half and the three-quarter so I'll let that make my mind up :). I won't have anything longer that 13 or 14 miles done before the Beast but hopefully the cycling and other training will stand to me.

• Advertisement

Hehe. And thanks but no Dunshaughlin for me :( short stuff only for the next few weeks. A parkrun is officially on the menu tho, 4th July I believe....must start to think about printing off barcode......

Ah - I see.. Shanganagh? Good luck - would the ladies course record be within your reach? Might call along with the daughter that day (if the weather is nice ;)).

I'm so tempted because I've never done a marathon though I don't know how my body will be after the Beast so I'm not signing up just yet. I've registered for the Athlone flatline half and the three-quarter so I'll let that make my mind up :). I won't have anything longer that 13 or 14 miles done before the Beast but hopefully the cycling and other training will stand to me.

Neady! You should be well able! Your training and cross-training is absolutely epic. If you want to do it, and increase the distances of your longer runs a little, it should well be possible. Us novices need you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

what... did i get that completely wrong? :p

annapr wrote: »
    what... did i get that completely wrong? :p

Well, I can vouch for the 'tall' and 'guy' part of it. ;)

Ah - I see.. Shanganagh? Good luck - would the ladies course record be within your reach? Might call along with the daughter that day (if the weather is nice ;)).

Yes, Shanganagh. Thanks but no, the course record is well out of my reach. Me and my two club mates were disgusted when we saw that :D How dare she?! :D:D

Neady! You should be well able! Your training and cross-training is absolutely epic. If you want to do it, and increase the distances of your longer runs a little, it should well be possible. Us novices need you!

Awh thank you, seriously though, the thought of running 26.2 miles fills me with the fear of god, the thought of running 20 miles fills me with fear. I have great admiration for you and others that have thrown down the gauntlet and committed to DCM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Awh thank you, seriously though, the thought of running 26.2 miles fills me with the fear of god, the thought of running 20 miles fills me with fear. I have great admiration for you and others that have thrown down the gauntlet and committed to DCM :)

It's a fantastic day out. The people of Dublin running and supporting make it un-scary. Once you train it is doable and not frightening.

Well, committed to starting the training next week.... Hopefully that equates to the same thing! :D
    aquinn wrote: »
    It's a fantastic day out. The people of Dublin running and supporting make it un-scary. Once you train it is doable and not frightening.

I think the Beast (which is Neady's target race) is far more scarier than Dublin <he says, having really no idea what he's talking about :confused:>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well, committed to starting the training next week.... Hopefully that equates to the same thing! :D

I think the Beast (which is Neady's target race) is far more scarier than Dublin <he says, having really no idea what he's talking about :confused:>

I agree, based on reading CM's log and her description of the training session!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I've no idea what 'the Beast' is. Will have to start another training log.

Advertisement