Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Connemara and Beyond ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck nop, and good luck with the sub-1h50 but make sure you enjoy the views too :)

Have a friend doing this also but it's her first half-marathon and she will be a good way behind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hi nop98, I've only recently started following your log, well done on the fantastic progress you're making, your focused training is really paying off.

I've done a few half marathons and I'm in or around your time for the half. The half in Connemara in 2013 was my first half and my first time following a training plan. I didn't have a goal time but I wanted to run it all and finish and that I did.

It's one of my most memorable races, though the wind blew in our faces and it rained a little, the scenery is amazing and the other runners are great to motivate :) As you know, it's quite hilly, conserve your energy for the long drag on the last mile or two but after that it's all downhill and you can see the finish line :)

It's one of those races that depends on the weather and how strong you are on the hills and there's not many people on the roads to cheer unfortunately so if it were me, I'd aim for 1:50 pace but be happy with whatever happens as the weather really does determine what will happen.

Really hope you enjoy the race, the scenery and the buzz and most of all I hope you smash it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck nop, and good luck with the sub-1h50 but make sure you enjoy the views too :)

Have a friend doing this also but it's her first half-marathon and she will be a good way behind you!

Thanks, hillside! Yes, I'll be sure to enjoy the views, come what may. Really looking forward. Are you doing any parkrunning or other races yourself this weekend?

Best of luck to your friend - tell her, that if she sees tree tall guys, speaking a funny language (that would be Dutch), to come over and say hi!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Hi nop98, I've only recently started following your log, well done on the fantastic progress you're making, your focused training is really paying off.

I've done a few half marathons and I'm in or around your time for the half. The half in Connemara in 2013 was my first half and my first time following a training plan. I didn't have a goal time but I wanted to run it all and finish and that I did.

It's one of my most memorable races, though the wind blew in our faces and it rained a little, the scenery is amazing and the other runners are great to motivate :) As you know, it's quite hilly, conserve your energy for the long drag on the last mile or two but after that it's all downhill and you can see the finish line :)

It's one of those races that depends on the weather and how strong you are on the hills and there's not many people on the roads to cheer unfortunately so if it were me, I'd aim for 1:50 pace but be happy with whatever happens as the weather really does determine what will happen.

Really hope you enjoy the race, the scenery and the buzz and most of all I hope you smash it :)

Thank you, Neady83! The training you're putting in yourself is pretty epic. My ironman buddy has done the Ballyhoura race you're training for, and I am in awe.

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience. I feel reasonably OK about the hills, not that I can run them particularly fast, but I noticed being able to recover quicker once the drag ended, as the training progressed. We'll see!

nop98 wrote: »
    Thanks, hillside! Yes, I'll be sure to enjoy the views, come what may. Really looking forward. Are you doing any parkrunning or other races yourself this weekend?

Best of luck to your friend - tell her, that if she sees tree tall guys, speaking a funny language (that would be Dutch), to come over and say hi!

parkrun if I can push myself out early!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Best of luck on Sunday, nop, can't wait to hear how it goes, that race is definitely on my bucket list...

• Advertisement

GOLD!! 1h49m45 PB. Near perfect conditions. Report to follow :)

Congrats nop :). Well done.

My friend was also very happy coming in below 2hours for her first half...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fantastic result! Well done nop, looking forward to the report. Hope your friends enjoyed it too, it's such a beautiful part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Brilliant, well done. I've spent the day reading your log so looking forward to the report. A fantastic time for a tough course.

Connemara Half Marathon: 1h49m56, PB by 3(!) seconds (5:10 min/km).

[FWIW, Strava also credits me with a PB en-route over 10M (1h22m44), but I'll take that with a pinch of salt.]

Pre-race: I picked up my friends on Dublin Airport on Friday evening, and by lunchtime Saturday, we were on our way West. Lots of banter in the car - we go all the way back to university and haven't seen eachother in years. All running-related talk was about how to best approach the two hills we'd encounter, and what the weather might bring. Pick-up numbers, t-shirt, expo, etc. We stay overnight in Galway city. When we're having a bite to eat in Galway, a (short) hailstorm hits and drowns out conversation, which damped the old spirits a little :).

Sunday morning, the weather looks bad: grey skies, and it's raining steadily. There's plenty of fit looking people in the hotel at breakfast, and the three of us just have a good laugh at the awful conditions outside. It actually helps chill-out a little - this is going to be about survival instead of target times! We had planned to leave for the bus to Leenane at about 8:15am but decide to hang around the hotel for an extra 20 minutes, it was too nasty outside! I was already wearing a long sleeved shirt under my purple Frank Duffy 10M shirt, but went back and added an extra long layer for the legs too.

The bus-trip to Leenane was excellent. There was a great atmosphere and the scenery was brilliant, meandering through snow-capped mountains and all that. For fellas from flat-as-a-pancake Netherlands, this is amazing stuff - I have lived here for many years and still love it every time I see it. More importantly, the rain stopped and there was even some vague resemblance of a sun somewhere.

We arrive in Leenane at about 10am, with a 2 hour wait until the start. I am still wearing several layers, including a hat, and had planned to bring hat and gloves on the run. One of the lads went for a quick stroll to soak up the atmosphere, while the two of us stayed behind and glanced hopefully at the small bit of blue sky that started to emerge over the Killary fjord. Plenty of photos and requests to take photos of others. We're still talking about how to tackle the hills when our buddy re-appears. His advice, jokingly: "run like a madman".

The bits of blue sky start to grow and grow, the sun comes out, and the conditions are improving by the minute. Leenane looked like an Alpine village with the snow-capped mountains in its background. I change back into shorts and also drop hat and gloves in the bag that would be carried to the finishline by truck. A short warm-up and some good stretching, and we line up at our respective goal times (just behind the 1h30 pacers for my two friends, just before 2h lads for me). The usual jokes ("where's the 10k start"), and we're off.

1st 5km in 25:41 (5:08 min/km), splits: 5:27, 5:37, 4:58, 4:43, 4:40
    The start finally comes and we turn left, uphill. Believe it or not, but there's a road-sign right there, saying "Maam Cross, 21km", which is as accurate as it is daunting. I am startled by someone overtaking at amazing speed, I assume one of the top-10 full marathoners. I also see the first dude with "ultra" pinned on his back, and I am in awe.

During the first 2 (uphill) kilometers, I realize that, despite all agonizing at the start, I am still wearing a layer too many. Contrary to the weather forecasts, it really is becoming a stunning, sunny day. I need to do something about this, fast, so I make an executive decision to act before we reach the top of the first hill. I am not stopping, no way - so while running, I remove t-shirt, then underlayer, then put on my shirt again. This gets a few giggles. I run a little while with the underlayer in my hand, and then unceremoniously dump it at the first water station. There was a lot of clothing being discarded all around me.

After the initial climb out of Leenane, the course has a lovely, slightly downhill slope and I get into my stride. I seem to have started too far back as I am steadily overtaking folks. Or am I going too fast? Hard to tell.

2nd 5km in 24:49 (4:58 min/km), splits: 4:44, 4:44, 5:04, 5:20, 4:49
    This part is distinctly uneventful - but going lovely. I continue at what feels like my target HM pace, but it is hard to judge given the undulating course. However, we're mostly going down and there's a gentle breeze in our backs. I ran alongside a fella that had a talking GPS unit so it kept telling him his pace and how he was tracking.

At this stage, I remember the advice given here: at least enjoy the race! So, I try to look around and do marvel at the hills (still snow-capped on our right hand side, and full of sheep on the left) and stunning scenery. The road is meandering along, and while I try to run the ideal line, I am surprised to see almost everybody sticking to a particular side of the road. Surely, that must add plenty of meters to the overall distance? As it was, my overall distance was reading as 21.2km in the end (which is already 0.1 km over).

I pass 10km in 50m30 or thereabouts, feeling good but against the limit. I somehow feel ahead of schedule - back in November in Clontarf I reached 10km in 51m50, but that race was obviously flat.

3rd 5km in 25:48 (5:09 min/km), splits: 4:59, 5:02, 5:10, 5:05, 5:18
    As we're approaching Maam junction, the road goes up and down and this bit is distincly harder. On our right, the Hell of the West looms menacingly, but there's plenty of challenges to keep up the pace on this stretch already. Most of the faces around me have been there for a while, the odd time an ultra- or full-marathoner overtakes. I had planned to say something encouraging to any ultra runner that would pass, but I had no energy to spare.

In front of me, some guy decides to take of his entire top, it really was that hot. He had to hold it in his hand, though, as it has his timing chip on it.

Just after turning right in Maam (which, amazingly, is the only turn we take the entire route), I am startled by a tall dude on my left who suddenly starts talking in Dutch to his friend. Those pesky Dutch, they're everywhere! I swerve over and say hello, agree to the fact that miles are harder to run than kilometers, we should have a pint at the finish - but I don't hang back for long. I am going slightly faster than them and I am not going to linger.

I'm still feeling OK but the effort is noticable, and we're now at the foot of the HotW. The real race is starting.

4th 5km in 27:24 (5:29 min/km), splits: 5:45, 6:00, 5:27, 4:34, 5:16
    Well, here we are. I've read so much about this hill that I was excpecting a monster. My km splits are obviously dipping significantly, but call me mad, I didn't think it was as bad as I had feared. You can see a long line of runners ahead of you, through otherwise quite barren landscape. Somehow, it confirmed that while it was still a long way uphill, it wasn't going to get any steeper. I am going to nail this - I feel very good about my all my runs up Puck's Castle Rd.

That said, there is plenty of carnage around me. Many, many people are walking or run-walking. However, there is this one dude in a blue top with whom I keep switching. He is running very strongly and I am going to try and stay with him.

I read, on one of the blogs here, about the danger of being too complacent at the top of a hill. Rather than feeling good about reaching the top and taking it easy for a few minutes, you should really start hammering downhill straight away. As we get near the top, one of the spectators (there were a few folks, all very vocal, which was really helpful), shouts something like, "2 more miles, all downhill", at which point I remember the above advice and put the hammer down. So does my blue-topped friend and we keep going together. Km 19 was my fastest km of the race - but it feels like I'm well in the red now.

As we're reaching the bottom, I remember what I already know (from the bus journey in opposite direction that morning - doh!), there are 2 more km to go, which are flat or even somewhat up. It feels I have given it all on that fast downhill, even though I knew I wasn't there yet. A quick glance on my watch shows just under 1h39, which means I am still on track, but I can't let up on the pace. The fella in the blue-top pulls away, irresistably, and I can't keep up. The mile-markers come in view (38 for ultra, then 25 for the full, and then, what feels like an eternity, the 12 for the half). 1 mile to go. Check the watch, still on pace. OH NO, it's 13.1 mile. DAMN, what's 0.1 of a mile in kilometers, ehm, 160 meters, how long is that, about a minute or so?

As I'm starting to panic (a little), I have a brief flashback to the self-awareness advice given here by Dubgal. I thought about it earlier and it seemed to help, but this time, my mental capacity was now reduced to hardly knowing my own name, so I couldn't master it again.

In the end, I simply resort to my friends' plan at the start. "Run like a madman".

Final 1.1km in 6:02 (5:05 min/km), splits: 5:10, 0:51
    The support here is brilliant. Half marathon walkers, and plenty of folks coming up from Maam's Cross, all really encouraging, thanks a lot. My legs are killing me, and in a last lucid thought I recall the advice from TFB's blog that by running a little faster, your legs will hurt a little less as they are used in a slightly different way. Or something. I resort to a full sprint (such as it is) and it does actually seem to work.

I see the finish flags, hear the speaker, see a former colleague (whom I'd seen briefly at the start, she walked the HM) shouting at me. My two mates are there, going absolutely beserk while shouting me towards the line. Afterwards, in a picture they take as I pass them, I am actually seen grimace-smiling at their antics as I fly by them.

There are (what turns out to be) two full-marathoners just ahead of me and I sprint them to the finish line, I think I beat them both, but I could be wrong. I don't care, my watch says 1h49m45s and I am delighted, but just so relieved I can stop running (time is later corrected up a few seconds, apparently, whatever).

My friends ran 1h36 and 1h29 respectively, unbelievably good times. I am so pleased for them, they had such a lovely day and great run to boot. Hopefully they'll be back next year.

Apologies for the insanely long report! Today, my legs are sore but I am still on a high. I'll never run as fast, for example, my friends, but I would not have believed anyone telling me I'd finish in the top-third of the Connemara Half. What a day!

• Advertisement

Brilliant, Nop... you really set the scene. Run like a madman could be the new mantra :)

....but by the way, no doubt you will run as fast and faster again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

What an achievement and report!
    Well deserved after training.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Well done. Great report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Loved that report, that was fantastic running, not surprised you're still on a high. Well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super report. Almost makes me want to do it next year (and I have a genuine fear of any distance over 10 miles.....). Well done on getting your Gold goal !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant race report and super result! half way through it I wondered where can I sign up for next years :-)

Congrats nop :). Well done.

My friend was also very happy coming in below 2hours for her first half...

Thank you :) well done to your friend.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Fantastic result! Well done nop, looking forward to the report. Hope your friends enjoyed it too, it's such a beautiful part of the world.

They had the best time. I am so impressed with their times (having had no hill running training, obviously). They loved it. What's not to like!
    aquinn wrote: »
    Brilliant, well done. I've spent the day reading your log so looking forward to the report. A fantastic time for a tough course.

Thank you :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Brilliant, Nop... you really set the scene. Run like a madman could be the new mantra :)

....but by the way, no doubt you will run as fast and faster again :)

Thank you Anna - I'm not sure my legs agree with you at this time :)
    beertons wrote: »
    Well done. Great report too.

Thank you :)
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Loved that report, that was fantastic running, not surprised you're still on a high. Well done! :)

Thank you - and for your guidance. I thought about it quite a bit (applying it is harder though :)).
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super report. Almost makes me want to do it next year (and I have a genuine fear of any distance over 10 miles.....). Well done on getting your Gold goal !

Thank you - well, I can only recommend it. Amazing atmosphere and scenery.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant race report and super result! half way through it I wondered where can I sign up for next years :-)

Thank you :) go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Congratulation Nop, brilliant race report. I feel like I was running alongside you, I can picture everything you describe :)

You ran the perfect race, well paced and no problem tackling the Hell of the West :) That's a great time for that half, well done :) Full next year?

I saw the pictures for the race and it looked stunning with the snow capped mountains in the background. I hope they thaw out this week, I'm planning on doing the half in reverse over the Turks on Saturday :)

Thanks Neady! Best of luck on Saturday, I'm looking forward to your report :)

I haven't really decided what's next. I'd like to do a fast HM course to see if I can lower the time even more. I am also really looking forward to the race series 10M in August.

As for the question of the "full"... That really is the big question. I am more and more thinking about taking the plunge for the DCM in October - I simply don't know if I have the required time to put in. But one thing is sure, after this weekend's experience, I'd love to do the Connemara Full next year. We'll see :)

Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday: no running. Slowly coming down from the high from last weekend. I better find a new target race, fast (don't mind it being far away, but I do want something to be training for).

Thursday: 6.7km in 32m50 (4:52 min/km). The weather was too hard to resist - so, back on the horse. The greyhounds were going out so I joined them, proudly wearing my Connemarathon t-shirt. Of course, the lads went too fast, but I stayed with them. The legs were fine at the start, but clearly not fully recovered yet towards the end, as they were quite sore, much more so than usual (I do this loop regularly).

• Advertisement

Friday: boxercise class. Great work-out despite the somewhat lame attempt by myself.

Saturday: no running.

Sunday: 75 minutes easy. 13.1km in 1h15 (5:40 min/km) [8.1M @ 9.10]. A bit of a struggle, I have to admit. Having not been running on my usual tracks, lately, due to various reasons, I was really looking forward to this. North towards Cabinteely Park, Lehaunstown Road, over M50, back down towards Rathmichael.

The lungs were more than fine, but the legs, particular the left knee, were complaining bitterly. I tried HTFU but it didn't feel too good. As I figured that no heroics were required, I stopped and stretched for a while. This seemed to help a little, but my usual imperious stride (not) was replaced by a pathetic little shuffle.

Odd, I thought there were no ill-effects from last weekend, but maybe there are. I guess a few more easy days are on the cards..

Long overdue update.

The miserable run on Sunday freaked me out a little. What was meant to be a lovely easy stroll turned out to be a litany of issues, particularly the left knee (which has bothered me before). With that in mind, I decided to completely scale back for this week.

Monday / Tuesday: no running. Just indoor cycling (30 minutes), stretching and foam-rolling. I tried the "elliptical" a few times, but that doesn't seem to be for me. :confused: It broke my heart to be indoors as the weather was stunning.

Wednesday: Pilates and foam-rolling.

Thursday: could resist the call of the nice weather no longer. 6.7km in 33m46 (5:02 min/km). Ran usual loop with a colleague. The first couple of km's were slow and easy, full of chat and a pure pleasure. I felt like floating, it was so easy. The third km is uphill and only there I remember to check for physical problems, and there were none.

Towards the end, my buddy surged a few times to rid himself of the old man (that would be me), but since this old man carries at least 10 kilograms less than him, he didn't succeed - and I beat him handsomely to the line. He had to lie down after it :D The last joyful sprint accounted for a sharper time than expected.

Anyway, this felt great. Hopefully, this was just a temporary glitch. Still looking for a target race, as it helps sharpen the mind. :)

It continues to be quite a slow week.

Friday: kettle-bell session in the local gym. It's tougher on the legs than it initially looks. Enjoyable session.

Saturday: no running. Volunteered at the Shanganagh parkrun, which was rather miserable in the rain. However, there was a decent turnout, everybody seemed in great spirits and there was some excellent running (low 17m for the winner, and the first lady - third overall - smashed the course record). Really impressive. A nice touch was that almost all runners, queuing up, shivering, soaking, to get barcodes scanned, all had nice things to say to the volunteers. Ran home afterwards as I was numb from the cold.

Sunday: 12km in 1h07 (5:36 min/km) up early to get an easy hour of running in before the rest woke up. Cold and sunny, and uneventful. On the most boring part of the run (southbound N11), the wind was in my back, and the sun in my face. What's not to like :)

Three shorter and (relatively) faster runs here.

Monday: 5.5km in 27m (4:58 min/km). I was at home during the day and at lunchtime, the sunny weather beckoned and my runners were looking at me longingly. It looked so nice that I changed in my skimpiest running gear. A few minutes later, I found myself running, alone, in gale-force winds and rain in the local park. WTF!? Felt liked I had totally jinxed the weather (sorry folks). Totally under-dressed for the occasion so I just did a few kms (bit faster towards the end as I warmed up and neared the house).

Tuesday: 6.9km in 33m (4:49 min/km). Ran with one my faster colleagues. We agreed to go fast for the first 5km and then ease-off. The watch just showed 23m when it beeped reassuringly for 5km. The rest was nice and relaxed. Chatted throughout, and the fast bit also included quite an nice incline (20m elevation gain) in the middle. Plenty of reasons to be pleased with the run.

It makes me think I should be able to knock off a good bid of my (modest) 5km PB, currently a soft 22m45s, if I ever get the pacing right and HTFU throughout. If I get some time on Saturday morning, might just nip into Shanganagh Park for the parkrun.

Wednesday: pilates.

Thursday: 6.6km in 32m (4:51 min/km). Almost the same loop and same total time, but ran steadily throughout. Different experience! Chatted with the two lads, one of them is keen to sign up for DCM, and is looking for a training buddy. :confused:

The long weekend beckoned and I had planned to clock up some nice and easy miles.

Friday: Circuit-class, all-round workout, pretty tough but enjoyable.

Saturday: 12.0km in 1h06 (5:29 min/km). The rain caused havoc with all our plans for the day. Most day reluctantly spent indoors with two increasingly energetic kids. After dinner, the better half nodded towards the runners and I was gone like a shot - never mind the rain. I needed a km or 2 to de-grump, but was loving it from the start.

I just circled around the 'hood, never too far from home, and was getting absolutely drenched but it was a great run. I must have had "Bing Maps" written on my back as I was stopped 3(!) times for directions. I ran past some of the km markers for the Wings for Life event.

Sunday: no running - but spent an hour with my daughter watching the Wings For Life race come through Shankill. Seemed like a super event and I was regretting not having participated - but it just didn't fit in.

Monday: 18.1km in 1h45 (5:45 min/km). Lovely day for a long run - didn't go that well though. Better phrased, I was never as glad to be finished with a run as with this one.

I have to admit: I never really like the first 1-2 km of any run, especially solo runs. For some reason, the whole body needs some stern talking to before it wants to get going. I've come to learn that this phase will pass, but I can't say I enjoy the first kms. Same today - it took ages to get going. Had to remove a layer that I didn't need, and only after 5-6km I was settled and moving relatively easily, despite the modest pace.

Southbound to Bray, back up, several out-and-backs on cul-de-sacs, and then up towards Rathmichael and Lehaunstown. When I turned south in Cabinteely, one of my calves made its presence felt - was near cramping for a few kms. I practiced the "isolating and letting it in" lessons and it did keep me going, albeit slower and slower. Glad to be done with it..

Race history to date.

[No real reason to post it here, other than that I'm afraid I won't be able to remember it all. Oh, and I wanted to give them cool tables a go].

Month & Year | Race | Distance | Time
    May 2013 | Powerscourt 2013 | 7k | ~38m
    August 2013 | DLR Bay 2013, Dun Laoghaire | 10k | 50:52
    November 2013 | Run in the Dark, Dublin | 10k | 48:38
    December 2013 | New Years Eve CC, Almelo, Netherlands | 10k (partly CC) | 50:01
    April 2014 | Wexford Half Marathon | HM | 1h52:35
    July 2014 | Clontarf Half Marathon | HM | 1h54:55
    August 2014 | DLR Bay 2014, Dun Laoghaire | 10k | 48:10
    August 2014 | Frank Duffy 10M, Phoenix Park | 10M | 1h29:30
    September 2014 | DCHM, Phoenix Park | HM | 1h59:35
    November 2014 | Clontarf Half Marathon | HM | 1h49:59
    February 2015 | Marlay Parkrun | 5k | 22:40
    March 2015 | My1000Hrs 10k, Phoenix Park | 10k | 47:00
    March 2015 | Shanganagh Parkrun | 5k | 22:54
    April 2015 | Connemarathon HM | HM | 1h49:56

Not much to report here.

Tuesday: No running. The long run from yesterday was lingering in my legs. I was worrying about several real and imagined niggles and half-injuries. Easy decision to not run at all.

Wednesday: Tough pilates session - followed by foam rolling and stretching. I mentioned all my niggles to the instructor and she inquired after my runners. I sheepishly admitted to them being almost 18 months old. Later, I checked with MapMyRun and noticed at least 1700km logged in them. I guess I'll be treating myself to some new runners in the next fortnight.

Thursday: 6.9km in ~35min (forgot watch). Easy lunchtime jog. Went with the faster guys but for once, they agreed to go easy. Niggles seemed to be OK.

nop98 wrote: »
    Not much to report here.

Tuesday: No running. The long run from yesterday was lingering in my legs. I was worrying about several real and imagined niggles and half-injuries. Easy decision to not run at all.

Wednesday: Tough pilates session - followed by foam rolling and stretching. I mentioned all my niggles to the instructor and she inquired after my runners. I sheepishly admitted to them being almost 18 months old. Later, I checked with MapMyRun and noticed at least 1700km logged in them. I guess I'll be treating myself to some new runners in the next fortnight.

Thursday: 6.9km in ~35min (forgot watch). Easy lunchtime jog. Went with the faster guys but for once, they agreed to go easy. Niggles seemed to be OK.

oooh, new runners, sure to generate a lot of excitement around here :D

Friday - Sunday: family-event in Netherlands so not much opportunity train. I missed the Friday circuits as we spent most day travelling. I had obviously packed the (worn) runners and copious amounts of running gear (the better half was shaking her head) but I only managed to get out once.

Saturday (very a.m.): 8.4km in ~47m (5:45 min/km). I found myself on wet and windy Texel, an island of the northern coast of The Netherlands. Ideal for logging some training kms (little traffic, lots of tracks, lovely scenery) but I had little time and maybe a local beer too many with my brothers the night before. On with the shoes, even a hat, and off I went on the tracks through the sand-dunes and a bit of cross-county, which was actually good fun but tiring on the legs.

Towards the end, I added a few more km's out in the open country-side and I couldn't believe the impact of the wind. If you're not familiar with the Dutch rural landscape, it's flat, it's exposed, and it's boring, with only a few landmarks like farms. I ran an out-and-back on this perfectly straight road (about a mile long) with the wind strongly from the side. Nothing to do but to put the head down and soldier on. After a few minutes, I looked up, and the sight seemed completely unchanged! Felt like I was making no progress whatsoever. Eventually got to the end, only to turn around and experience the same thing again. I was much more tired than I should have been for a relatively short run at easy pace.

As for new runners, hopefully I'll get to AK this weekend. My last set was a Saucony Guide 6, which I loved, but they're completely worn out. I tried doing some research online but I'm simply going to go for whatever feels right.

• Advertisement

A somewhat mixed-bag here.

Monday: 6.8km in ~33m30 (4:52 min/km). Assisted by a nice tail-wind along a stretch we call "Death Valley" - as its a concrete-faced heat-trap along Leopardstown racecourse. We went reasonably fast but it was an almighty struggle. I remember blurting out towards the end "FFS this shouldn't be this hard". Interestingly, the guy I was running with, who's a couple of levels better than me, was equally struggling.

Tuesday: 6.9km in ~35m20 (5:05 min/km). Same track, same colleague, same sufferfest.

[START RANT]
    "Do you have the time to listen to me whine" (c) Green Day: At this point, I was feeling a little low about the old running. I haven't had a good, pleasant, no-messing, no-niggles, just run-because-I-love-running-run since the Connemara Half, which is now over a month ago. This is rather depressing. I don't think I have any injury or anything obviously wrong, but no amount of foam-rolling, stretching, or cross-training on a effing bike seem to get me to snap out of it. There's a lot of talk among "the lads" here about maybe enrolling for DCM and getting a training plan together. Right after Connemara, I was going to sign-up there and then, but now I can't even seem to string 7km together without feeling absolutely knackered. Bleeh.
    [RANT OVER]

Wednesday: Pilates. A new instructor and she's more into the yoga-side of things - which isn't as good as what it was.

Thursday: per the above rant, I decided I'll take another day off.

Friday: boxercise class. Great stress reliever.

After all this moaning, the plans for the weekend are exciting. :) I shall be volunteering at the Shanganagh Parkrun on Saturday. Even more fun is that my 6yo daughter is coming with me. She loves nothing more than dressing up (and a hi-viz vest is good enough for that purpose) and bossing people about (so we'll be marshalling somewhere along the route, I imagine). She's been looking forward to this all week - and so am I. Afterwards, I am going to land myself the now enigmatic new pair of runners. Then, on Sunday morning: go for a nice long easy run. I can't wait!

Advertisement