Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NFL Superbowl XLIX

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seahawks
    There's these for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I like Richard Sherman. The rest, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭nerd69

Seahawks
    also i find the fact that sherman for some reason does not get called for holding massively frustrating cheating bastards

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seahawks
    You don't? Listen for two minutes to Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, or Pete Carroll, and come back to us.

In fairness you'd have to listen to about 3 years of interviews to get two minutes out of Lynch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

You don't? Listen for two minutes to Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, or Pete Carroll, and come back to us.

I'm well aware of them, I live just 3 hours north of Seattle so it's big news here.
    I like Sherman and don't have a problem with the others although I agree Wilson makes me cringe sometimes.
    I preferred them last year when they were underdogs, I'm not so fussed about them this year.

• Advertisement

Seahawks
    Jamsiek wrote: »
    I'm well aware of them, I live just 3 hours north of Seattle so it's big news here.
    I like Sherman and don't have a problem with the others although I agree Wilson makes me cringe sometimes.
    I preferred them last year when they were underdogs, I'm not so fussed about them this year.

to be fair I'm sure a lot of the things that they do are given a positive spin in that area similar to connor mcgregor here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

nerd69 wrote: »
    to be fair I'm sure a lot of the things that they do are given a positive spin in that area similar to connor mcgregor here

That's a good comparison. I wish McGregor all the luck in the world but he can be annoying alright.
    Yes the media here is probably biased towards the Seahawks as it's the nearest NFL team so they have to keep the fans happy I suppose

I hope the Pats crush the Seahawks.

And I hope the ball tampering stuff stands, so the asterisk can go beside them.

But that would only be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

After last year's blowout I just hope it goes to the wire.
    Something like the recent Pats & Ravens game would be class from a neutrals perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Seahawks
    I don't hhink it's exclusive to boards and any irish connection. Peronally i see the Patriots controlling the Seattle offense comfortably.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/01/20/patriots-should-be-favored-over-seahawks-in-super-bowl-xlix/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I love Lynch's attitude to the media to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Seahawks
    I love Lynch's attitude to the media to be honest.

I think the issue with Lynch is he loves it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Seahawks
    Cant see past a Pats win, but also said the same about the Broncos last year too. If they can handle Lynch and get their running game going, its hard to see past the Patriots though. 28 points or so against the Seahawks should do it. Easier said then done however!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Raf32 wrote: »
    Cant see past a Pats win, but also said the same about the Broncos last year too. If they can handle Lynch and get their running game going, its hard to see past the Patriots though. 28 points or so against the Seahawks should do it. Easier said then done however!

Seattle have given up a avg 15.9 pts per game this year, 16.9 on the road.

So getting 28 would be a big ask.

Look at the great field position and the amount of possession GB had and they only got 22

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Seahawks
    Seattle have given up a avg 15.9 pts per game this year, 16.9 on the road.

So getting 28 would be a big ask.

Look at the great field position and the amount of possession GB had and they only got 22

Yup, agreed just comes down to how well their offence does imo. Cant see Seattle doing too much outside of Lynch. Suppose with the home advantage gone it is very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Corkmansam2

Pats will win , enough said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Seahawks
    If the same Hawks turn up like the ones did in the NFC championship game I would hope the Patriots would be able to take advantage of the mistakes better then the Packers did. Every game is different though and I expect the Seahawks to be much improved from the go, they have had two weeks to get drilled for this and have the experience of being there and doing it before.

Lynch is the danger of course, but Wilson could pose serious problems if he is allowed to get outside the pocket and use his feet, Ninko needs to get on his ass early and stay there :)

The Pats D has been outstanding of late overall, in terms of points allowed they have just been incredible, particularly after the half time adjustments

Seahawks
    Just reading an article on Grantland about the last time these two teams met in 2012. I remember the game, it was hugely enjoyable, and if the Superbowl is anything close to it, we will be great entertainment.

One fact in the article which is amazing to me is that in just 2 years:

just 23 of the 44 starters and 41 of the 92 players who were on active rosters for that game are likely to suit up in Super Bowl XLIX

Also, the Patriots dominated the game with short passes.

Against the most fearsome pass defense of this generation and with a lead for virtually the entire contest, the Patriots came out and threw more than twice as frequently as they ran.

They did it because it worked, especially during the first three quarters. Brady went 36-of-58 for 395 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

unfortunately ill have to go with the seahawks. Patriots haven't come against a D like it all year. I know we f**ked up it up against the seahawks but there defence was very good in the final quarter on the day and Russell Wilson won't throw 4 picks again and kearse will start holding onto more balls. Also I think fate in conspiring against the patriots, when they played the giants in the last 2 SB, the giants beat the packers on the way to both SB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seahawks
    cosatron wrote: »
    unfortunately ill have to go with the seahawks. Patriots haven't come against a D like it all year. I know we f**ked up it up against the seahawks but there defence was very good in the final quarter on the day and Russell Wilson won't throw 4 picks again and kearse will start holding onto more balls. Also I think fate in conspiring against the patriots, when they played the giants in the last 2 SB, the giants beat the packers on the way to both SB

If you're going to win the NFC, there's usually about a 50/50 chance you'll have to beat the Packers at some point to do it, so I dunno if that's much of an indication of the hand of fate. You might be right about the D though, but if the Patriots get the opportunities on offense that the Packers had the last day the Seahawks won't be as lucky again. On the other hand it's difficult to see the Seahawks getting themselves into that much of a mess on offense again. Said it on the other thread, I expect a low scoring game with the Pats winning by about 10. Putting money on that expectation so that when I'm cheering for the Patriots as the team I dislike least, I'll have a little bit riding on it as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭cosatron

If you're going to win the NFC, there's usually about a 50/50 chance you'll have to beat the Packers at some point to do it, so I dunno if that's much of an indication of the hand of fate. You might be right about the D though, but if the Patriots get the opportunities on offense that the Packers had the last day the Seahawks won't be as lucky again. On the other hand it's difficult to see the Seahawks getting themselves into that much of a mess on offense again. Said it on the other thread, I expect a low scoring game with the Pats winning by about 10. Putting money on that expectation so that when I'm cheering for the Patriots as the team I dislike least, I'll have a little bit riding on it as well...

hopefully the bet works out for you, the SB is way to similar to last year, everyone on this forum was bigging up the broncos and I mentioned that the broncos haven't come against a D like the seahawks and I got laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Seahawks
    hopefully the bet works out for you, the SB is way to similar to last year, everyone on this forum was bigging up the broncos and I mentioned that the broncos haven't come against a D like the seahawks and I got laughed at.

Well, fair enough, as it happens last week people were saying that the Seahawks couldn't be beaten at home. I said that, given they had already been beaten at home this year there was no reason to jump to any conclusions, and that I thought an aggressive offense like the Packers could cause some damage and that they'd win in the end, with the crowd not being in any way a deciding factor. I know the Seahawks won last week but that was quite clearly a case of the Packers ****ting the course, rather than anything special that the Russell Wilson/Jesus Christ Almighty combo did. (And as it happened half the crowd didn't even see it, the 12ers decided to leave it to just the usual 11 to eke it out).

The Seahawks secondary is excellent, everyone knows that, of course. Hopefully they don't go (like Rodgers) with the stupid idea of being "brave" and taking on Sherman just to prove some redundant point. Forcing the ball into his area cost the Packers dearly last week. If the Patriots O line can keep Brady safe long enough to get some separation, they'll do well enough in the passing game. The Patriots are not the Broncos of last year and they won't choke that spectacularly. I wouldn't be surprised if you turn out to be right, but I just don't expect a blow-out. Think it'll be a good game.

Which is what I said last year...

Seahawks

If remember the poll from last year had it pretty much 50/50.

...and I don't remember a single poster saying the Broncos would stroll it.

Nobody saw the collapse that the Broncos suffered coming, and from my perspective, they brought a lot of that upon themselves. The regular season game from this year is closer to what most expected.

The Seahawks of this year do not look like the Seahawks from last year.

Seahawks
    jesus hawks nickleback jeremy lane has claimed that gronk is not that good and you can mess him up if you get hands on him. if there is one tight end i would not want to have to bump it would likely be gronk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

poldebruin wrote: »
    If remember the poll from last year had it pretty much 50/50.

...and I don't remember a single poster saying the Broncos would stroll it.

Nobody saw the collapse that the Broncos suffered coming, and from my perspective, they brought a lot of that upon themselves. The regular season game from this year is closer to what most expected.

The Seahawks of this year do not look like the Seahawks from last year.

this was my post from last year. Im sticking by every word. Just subsitute Manning for Brady and Moreno for Blount/Gray etc.

I'm going for the seahawks. This defence are tough! Lynch will pound them down and russell wilson will use his legs to make plays.

The seahawks seem the younger, hungrier outfit to me, there's a bite to them that Denver may not have seen this year. They seem to be getting better and better aswell. You have to hand it to Pete Carroll and his team that they have done an incredible job.

My call is that Denver wont be able to stop the run and Wilson will use his dual threat to get down the field and score points. I think Seattle will snuff out Moreno et al and force Peyton (and this is the fascinating part) to air it out (under pressure) to the leagues best receivers against the leagues best secondary.

My thoughts arent rocket science, but thats what I think will happen.

But to be honest, its a win win for me here, I'd be delighted to see the seahawks win, but also delighted to see champ bailey get a ring and peyton to get his second. What a classic this sets up to be! cant wait.

Seahawks
    You called that JF. But the Patriots will be ready in this game the way Denver were not. Belicheck's gameplan can confuse a seasoned QB, I think Wilson will be in for a long day. Nor do I think the Patriots secondary is going to let receivers fall 30 yards open on 2nd and forever.

Seattle can cement a place in the history books by repeating. Brady can cement his legacy (not that he needs it really - but a third loss will be hung around his neck I'm sure)

How many players do the Patriots have from their 2004 winning season? Obv, Brady, but cant think if anyone else. Wilfork maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Seahawks
    How many players do the Patriots have from their 2004 winning season? Obv, Brady, but cant think if anyone else. Wilfork maybe?

They're the only 2. Wilfork was in his rookie season that year. I'm pretty sure they, along with Ben Watson, are the only players from that team who are still in the league unless you count Asante Samuel who I don't think is officially retired yet.

They're the only 2. Wilfork was in his rookie season that year. I'm pretty sure they, along with Ben Watson, are the only players from that team who are still in the league unless you count Asante Samuel who I don't think is officially retired yet.

shows you how tough the NFL really is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Seahawks

thats not true, at all. as pointed out, the voting was 50-50 so to say everyone was bigging up the Broncos and you were laughed at as some lone person going against the grain was far from what happened. A lot of people thought the Seahawks would win, the majority didnt expect it to be as much as it was.

I'm not sure why more are going for the Patriots this time around. Maybe it's their good form and point scoring going into the game, or that they have a better defence than what the broncos had last year, maybe it was the erratic performance of Wilson in the NFC title game, I dont know. But I dont see much in it either way, and both teams will be very confident that they have the edge over the other one.

Advertisement