Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The idea there would to be try and prevent one party from dominating (as FF have done since pretty much the foundation of the State).

There's nothing wrong with fresh ideas every few years.. unfortunately this time round we got FF-lite rather than the real reform and change we were promised. Probably also explains why FG never get 2 consecutive terms in government as all they seem to do in Irish politics is screw things up so badly that they make FF viable again! :rolleyes:

I do think the PR electoral system needs to go though too.

Totally agree - FG just proved themselves to be just like FF, only FF were more accomplished at pulling strokes without getting caught.

They had their chance to redeem themselves when the heave took place against Enda, but they fecked that up. I'm holding out some hope for their redemption if Coveney takes over after the next election - he should steer them through the chaos of the subsequent 2 years / 3 elections to follow.

Sweet FA? He was probably the first transport minister to finally stand up to the transport unions.

......and that improved public transport in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭LeBash

I thought all politicians were bent.......Hey Ohhhhhhhhh.

He or any other person shouldnt have to come out publicly. Hes been voted in for whatever reason his area feel hes done right and he should only need to explain publicly about his professional life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What have you done/or hope to do by the time you are 36?

I was hoping to have achieved mod status on as many boards forums as possible. Cruelly dashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Never understood the notion of coming out.

What business is it of anyone else? Nobody ever comes out as straight.

Eh because there is still a lot of prejudice in this society and the less people speak out the more it grows. You may not care but others do. Anyway if you don't care just change the channel, turn the page and change the subject no need for you to be concerned if you don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Wang King wrote: »
    Nothing useful then?

Why you… my progeny will rule the world some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Jawgap wrote: »
    Totally agree - FG just proved themselves to be just like FF, only FF were more accomplished at pulling strokes without getting caught.

They had their chance to redeem themselves when the heave took place against Enda, but they fecked that up. I'm holding out some hope for their redemption if Coveney takes over after the next election - he should steer them through the chaos of the subsequent 2 years / 3 elections to follow.

Well see that's why I wonder about Leo's announcement.. in reality it has no bearing on most people or his job, and I'm sure many of his colleagues and civil servants already know or suspected he was gay, but as we can see on this thread, despite it being a non-story IMO it does build support from "de public"

I think Leo is eyeing the leadership as Enda's performance has been truly abysmal with his own party expressing dissatisfaction over the whip and such, and Labour TDs being told to go out and "differentiate" themselves from FG

I think Enda could be gone before the GE (probably to some cushy number in Europe) which would allow the new leader to contest the election on a semi "clean slate" with the public. Leo being popular and seen as liberal, youthful and "one of the better ones" would only help that idea.

I do think though that the only reason we haven't seen FG be just as bad as FF (if not worse!) though is purely because they don't get as much time at the trough

Saipanne wrote: »
    Maybe he has found someone significant, and wishes to be seen openly with him. Perhaps that pushed him to out himself.

But to my knowledge, it was the worst kept secret in Dublin.

I'd say it was the referendum coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

A blueshirtlifter.

Well see that's why I wonder about Leo's announcement.. in reality it has no bearing on most people or his job, and I'm sure many of his colleagues and civil servants already know or suspected he was gay, but as we can see on this thread, despite it being a non-story IMO it does build support from "de public"

I think Leo is eyeing the leadership as Enda's performance has been truly abysmal with his own party expressing dissatisfaction over the whip and such, and Labour TDs being told to go out and "differentiate" themselves from FG

I think Enda could be gone before the GE (probably to some cushy number in Europe) which would allow the new leader to contest the election on a semi "clean slate" with the public. Leo being popular and seen as youthful and "one of the better ones" would only help that idea.

I do think though that the only reason we haven't seen FG be just as bad as FF (if not worse!) though is purely because they don't get as much time at the trough

I would take a different view.

They'll leave Enda in place and let him run the train right off the tracks - then after the GE he'll be retired off to the big job in Europe where he'll get an awful kick in the boll1X when he realises he's not as well thought of as he reckoned he was - that he was, in fact, just a useful idiot for the Germans to get their money back.

Then there'll be the sort out between Coveney and Varadkar and probably some other couple of candidates. I reckon Coveney will get it because he's managed to negotiate his time at Ag and actually do things (although he's been hugely helped by the high prices farmers have been getting for their produce which has kept them fairly quiet).

Leo's strategy seems to be avoiding controversy - do nothing then you can't be accused of getting anything wrong. I don't think he'll win, but if he does and goes on to be Taoiseach he'll be know as the Teflon Taoiseach because no one will be able to find any cock-ups.

Part of me wonders if this announcement (a year or so out from the GE) isn't designed to get the fact he's gay out of the way so by the time the GE rolls around it'll have been placed firmly in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Armelodie wrote: »
    Wonder how Coveny can top that...

Seriously do we need to have an image of Coveney topping Varadkar? :P

Also, I think Leo had a poor choice of phrase in his interview (about 16:50 on the Irish Times site) when he said something about sliding up the greasy pole!!! :eek:

But in all seriousness, it's the guys own business. More power to him if this makes him feel better about things or if it helps others to come to terms with their own orientation and feel they don't have to hide who they are.

Wouldn't necessarily agree with the guy's politics though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

This thread is outrageous... theres far too much sense being talked here for my liking.

Ahemmm the Politics café is --->

More toilet humour please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YoungIrelander

I'm extremely pleased that Mr. Varadkar feels comfortable and confident enough in himself to be able to admit such a thing. Ireland has come on in leaps and bounds regarding the treatment of homosexuality, but there is still an awful lot of internalised homophobia in the country. I've seen countless people saying that his sexuality shouldn't matter, and that he should just do his job, but I beg to differ. For such a public figure to make such an announcement in a /personal/ interview is a major stepping-stone for the LGBT+ community in Ireland. He runs the risk of turning many of his supporters against him, which is a real risk, there are many narrow-minded people still living in Ireland, yet he still took that risk.

Leo Varadkar is not the worst Health Minister this country's seen, and he is a likable figure, so I have the utmost respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Funny how most of those shouting "Why is this news?" have equal rights, don't face vicious bullying in school etc.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think the guy is an arsehole, I couldn't give a monkeys what his sexual preferences are, but hey, it'll help the government seem more gay friendly for the upcoming gay marriage referendum, not that I'm cynical about the timing of his 'coming out' or anything:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'd say it was the referendum coming up.
    Varadkar said it was the referendum, but only in the sense that he didn't want to be seen to be be hiding something; he said he was seeking honesty. I suspect he also wanted to show the more traditional FG voter that not all gay people fit into a stereotype, as some may tend to believe.

If you put yourself in his position, it would be a semi-grotesque scenario, to be travelling the country making speeches in favour of gay marriage, under the pretext of being straight, whilst some people were presumably chattering about his private life. Better to just bite the bullet now, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,361 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'm shocked.

He's only 36??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Does this mean he can't give blood? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Funny how most of those shouting "Why is this news?" have equal rights, don't face vicious bullying in school etc.

Isn't Leo a bit old & big to be bullied in school?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was it not fairly well known already? Fair play to him but I'd have been more shocked if he openly announced he was straight

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Isn't Leo a bit old & big to be bullied in school?

That and it's not just sexuality that makes people the targets of "vicious bullying" - even worse now with the likes Facebook and Whatsapp etc

As for "equal rights", there's a lot of straight people who are discriminated against based on other things than their sexuality

In short bullying and discrimination is not solely the domain of gay people and it should ALL be stamped out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Was it not fairly well known already? Fair play to him but I'd have been more shocked if he openly announced he was straight

It was only announced to
    Deflect from the last six months in DoH
    Deflect from a news story out tomorrow
    Get the public to support him when he ousts Enda
    Make the government appear more gay friendly
    Deflect from buses being 10mins late

Daith wrote: »
    It was only announced to
    Deflect from the last six months in DoH
    Deflect from a news story out tomorrow
    Get the public to support him when he ousts Enda
    Make the government appear more gay friendly
    Deflect from buses being 10mins late

You left out...

to give the liberal PC types something to be outraged against if not everyone shares the same superficial outpouring of support without asking questions like the above

:D

That and it's not just sexuality that makes people the targets of "vicious bullying" - even worse now with the likes Facebook and Whatsapp etc

As for "equal rights", there's a lot of straight people who are discriminated against based on other things than their sexuality

In short bullying and discrimination is not solely the domain of gay people and it should ALL be stamped out
    So what, we don't target gay marriage until all the 'inequality' is ready to be turned off, in one big lightbulb moment?

I am fairly neutral on the issue of gay marriage. I don't think it's as important an issue in practice as civil partnership was. But it makes feck all difference to me and others, so I guess why not?

Targeting unfairness in society is like chipping away at a mountain. The ban on gay marriage is a loose piece of rock that was falling away anyway. It makes sense to just get rid of the rock, and keep chipping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

You left out...

to give the liberal PC types something to be outraged against if not everyone shares the same superficial outpouring of support without asking questions like the above

:D

Who cares it's a non story but........

conorh91 wrote: »
    So what, we don't target gay marriage until all the 'inequality' is ready to be turned off, in one big lightbulb moment?

I am fairly neutral on the issue of gay marriage. I don't think it's as important an issue in practice as civil partnership was. But it makes feck all difference to me and others, so I guess why not?

Targeting unfairness in society is like chipping away at a mountain. The ban on gay marriage is a loose piece of rock that was falling away anyway. It makes sense to just get rid of the rock, and keep chipping away.

No my point was that sexuality is not the sole issue that can result in bullying, discrimination and segregation as some seem to be inferring.

Gay rights is an issue yes, but not the only one we face in this country

No my point was that sexuality is not the sole issue that can result in bullying, discrimination and segregation as some seem to be inferring.
    I am aware it is not. I don't think anyone said it was the sole issue. I don't even think it is particularly important. It's simply an obvious one on top of the pile that is easy to remove.

All the 'Okay now you've got that out of your system fix the health service!" comments are hilarious, as if being gay has stopped him from fixing the health service.

"Oh I better fix the health service, wait..I have to crochet this flag for gay pride". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I'm straight. Is that going to be in the news tomorrow??

• Advertisement

conorh91 wrote: »
    I am aware it is not. I don't think anyone said it was the sole issue. I don't even think it is particularly important. It's simply an obvious one on top of the pile that is easy to remove.

Yes in some ways it's an "easy win" that will make no difference to most people but greatly help those it does - for those reasons alone it's worth doing

But beneath that is a somewhat distasteful undercurrent from some of our more liberal members that if you don't loudly and actively support this, then you are almost as bad as those who are against it. I'd wager you'll get flack here for the bit I highlighted above (although I'd agree with you as it doesn't affect me either as such).

Maybe it annoys me more as I'm not very PC, live my life according to the values I was raised with which included personal responsibility and respect for others, and as such I don't blindly follow the herd on issues just because it's the social norm to do so without looking into it and questioning it myself.

I'm talking in more general terms here about how this country is going.. On this issue there's no reason I can justifiably think of to dispute/reject it

Advertisement