Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Why's that? You prefer the teachers and accountants ? What profession would you prefer to see ?

We could do with a better diversity in politics. The Dail is still full of teachers, farmers, publicans, accountants and the odd lawyer.

At least medical doctors have a slightly different experience of life. We could do with some engineers, scientists, IT people etc etc too!
    Very very poor number of science and tech people in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hope he goes back to medicine, they dont belong in poltics.

Who's they? & why don't they belong in politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

SpaceTime wrote: »
    We could do with a better diversity in politics. The Dail is still full of teachers, farmers, publicans, accountants and the odd lawyer.

At least medical doctors have a slightly different experience of life. We could do with some engineers, scientists, IT people etc etc too!
    Very very poor number of science and tech people in Irish politics.

.....and far too many who inherited their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

efb wrote: »
    And how much would it cost to do that?

10 shekels?
    DeanAustin wrote: »
    Haha nope afraid it isn't. Just exposing you as a spoofer.

Oh you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

kyub wrote: »
    Ah right ok... my nose is runny. Sort it out Leo!

All joking aside though, I don't understand why there is he feels this need to come out as gay.

He said: "There are decisions coming up that are not entirely my own but I will be involved in them.

"I just want people to know that whatever decisions are made on any issue, I'll make them according to what I believe is in the public interest and my own conscience.

"I won't be allowing my own background or my own sexual orientation to dictate the decisions that I make.

"I just kind of want to be honest with people. I don't want anyone to think that I have a hidden agenda."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0118/673524-leo-varadkar/

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Apart from the fact we do. Get used to it.

We have 4 openly gay TDs, 2 openly gay senators and 8 openly Councillors.

That number is always increasing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Jawgap wrote: »

Well, oddly enough that's down to the locals voting for them and having the infrastructure and experience in place.

You can't "inherit' a seat, you can however be totally prepared for political life by having grown up with a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's also to do with the sheep-like electorate though.

We need term limits...

- No Party can serve in Government any longer than 2 consecutive terms (4 years each)
    - No TD can serve any longer than a maximum of 3 terms

That would get rid of the "jobs for life and all my family" shyte IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Fair play to him. I've met him a few times over the years, a very likable chap once the work stuff is over. The gay thing I have no issue with, what bothers me is that he is so young and has done so much. That's not fair :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

JillyQ wrote: »

Honest folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I'm surprised at all the people saying they knew. I would never have guessed. He looks just like one of us

/ sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fair play to him. I've met him a few times over the years, a very likable chap once the work stuff is over. The gay thing I have no issue with, what bothers me is that he is so young and has done so much. That's not fair :p

He did sweet FA in transport and he's doing sweet FA in health. If Leo was taoiseach he'd spend all his time pontificating about what was happening in america or anywhere other than the country he's running

Bambi wrote: »
    He did sweet FA in transport and he's doing sweet FA in health. If Leo was taoiseach he'd spend all his time pontificating about what was happening in america or anywhere other than the country he's running

What have you done/or hope to do by the time you are 36?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I bought my own house that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

conorh91 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at all the people saying they knew. I would never have guessed. He looks just like one of us

/ sarcasm

You don't get straight guys looking that good and young at 36!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Daith wrote: »
    You don't get straight guys looking that good and young at 36!

q10

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I didn't like him before and I don't like him now.

To be fair, I can see his point as Leo IS in those positions and should be delivering - regardless of his age, sexuality or anything else.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Well, oddly enough that's down to the locals voting for them and having the infrastructure and experience in place.

You can't "inherit' a seat, you can however be totally prepared for political life by having grown up with a TD.
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's also to do with the sheep-like electorate though.

We need term limits...

- No Party can serve in Government any longer than 2 consecutive terms (4 years each)
    - No TD can serve a maximum of 3 terms

That would get rid of the "jobs for life and all my family" shyte IMO

No, we need to embrace the Athenian democratic process of ostracism!!

In ancient Athens the people were asked if they wanted to hold an ostracism every year - if the majority agreed, candidates were nominated. The 'winners' were then banished for 10 years after which they could return to their property and lives in the city.

In the real world, though, a term limit for TDs (Any number of Dails up to a max of 12 years) would be a good idea (and no drawing the pension until your 65, no parachute payments and trim back the expenses) - not sure about a term limit on parties. If they can garner the support they should be in government.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Jeez. Must be a slow news day.... Who gives a ***k. Match him better to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Let me answer that!

I have given life! Life!!!! LIIIIIIIIFE!!!!

What has age got to do with anything?

Renzi became prime minister of Italy in 2014 at 39 and Rajiv Ghandi was 40 when he took over in India- can we regard Leo as a failure if he's not Taoiseach after the next election?

Alexander the Great was 33 when he died.

not sure about a term limit on parties. If they can garner the support they should be in government.

The idea there would to be try and prevent one party from dominating (as FF have done since pretty much the foundation of the State).

There's nothing wrong with fresh ideas every few years.. unfortunately this time round we got FF-lite rather than the real reform and change we were promised. Probably also explains why FG never get 2 consecutive terms in government as all they seem to do in Irish politics is screw things up so badly that they make FF viable again! :rolleyes:

I do think the PR electoral system needs to go though too.

Being successful at a young age shows ambition, hard work and luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

mad muffin wrote: »
    Let me answer that!

I have given life! Life!!!! LIIIIIIIIFE!!!!

Nothing useful then?

Mostly luck - as Gladwell showed in Outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Bambi wrote: »

Sweet FA? He was probably the first transport minister to finally stand up to the transport unions.

What is being "successful" though .. just getting there, or what you do when you ARE there?

I think the point is that the emphasis should be on the latter - especially in a country like this where TD's can effectively pass their seats on to their offspring

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Wonder how Coveny can top that...

I suppose being from Cork is enough of an affliction

Advertisement