Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar comes out as gay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Read between the lines re who his partner is:

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo

Some camp guy called "Aign"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm straight. Is that going to be in the news tomorrow??

Politicians give all kinds of details for their political support for a particular topic it makes their case stronger. An M.P. said she was pro fox hunting as she grew up on a farm and the foxes decimated the hen population. She saw her father stress over the loss of earnings. (Now I may not agree with her stance but I can't deny her personal experience). Nobody said she should just keep it to herself nobody cares, on the contrary it was a point of discussion.

All these comments that say keep silent demonstrate a few things: Lack of empathy, lack of knowledge about the level of prejudice and homophobia that is still out there, a failure to grasp the context of Leo's coming out and perhaps a touch of prejudice, otherwise why tell someone to keep quiet? 'Shut up about it' and 'I don't care' are two different statements. 'I don't care' I can understand fair enough but the 'shut up about it' is tinged with prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Considering you lied about being Irish I dont think anyone would believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"Straight" is such a heteronormative word.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yes in some ways it's an "easy win" that will make no difference to most people but greatly help those it does - for those reasons alone it's worth doing

But beneath that is a somewhat distasteful undercurrent from some of our more liberal members that if you don't loudly and actively support this, then you are almost as bad as those who are against it. I'd wager you'll get flack here for the bit I highlighted above (although I'd agree with you as it doesn't affect me either as such).

I don't think the issue is with people not loudly supporting it, moreso the problem is with those who go out of their way to comment about how much they don't care; it suggest that somebody high profile coming out as gay is no more than attention seeking.

It's very easy to read this news and not care, and easier still to just shrug your shoulders and not comment on it. And yet there are people whose level of not caring is seemingly so great that they feel the need to announce to everyone about how much they don't care....that's what I can't really understand.

I don't expect anyone to throw a big parade to celebrate Leo Varadkar's coming out but it would be nice to read this story without having it followed by a bunch of "ugh, who cares? I never came out as straight blah blah blah" comments from people who don't get that coming out is still often areally fúcking difficult thing to do.

EDIT: Comments like this, for example:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't think the issue is with people not loudly supporting it, moreso the problem is with those who go out of their way to comment about how much they don't care; it suggest that somebody high profile coming out as gay is no more than attention seeking.

It's very easy to read this news and not care, and easier still to just shrug your shoulders and not comment on it. And yet there are people whose level of not caring is seemingly so great that they feel the need to announce to everyone about how much they don't care....that's what I can't really understand.

I don't expect anyone to throw a big parade to celebrate Leo Varadkar's coming out but it would be nice to read this story without having it followed by a bunch of "ugh, who cares? I never came out as straight blah blah blah" comments from people who don't get that coming out is still often areally fúcking difficult thing to do.

EDIT: Comments like this, for example:

I guess maybe because the whole argument centres around how a person's sexuality shouldn't matter or have any bearing on their job, friendships etc (which I fully agree with and support) ... but then we're inundated with headline news articles like this.

It is a bit of a contradiction. If it doesn't matter, why the need to shout about it? Just get on with living your own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

No, it won't be in the news tomorrow.
    The reason why?
    You are not the first senior government minister to confirm you are gay.

If you are straight, you don't have to declare your sexuality as it is taken as a given.
    However if you are gay, then you could be accused of misleading people if you don't declare your sexuality.
    Please remember 20 years ago it was a crime to be gay in this country

I am straight and even I get why sometimes people feel they have to declare their sexuality.

I can only imagine that it's a very lonely place to be in if you feel that you cannot be honest.

Let me ask you a question- even in this modern era, if you had 2 children, one straight and one gay, which one do
    you think might have more issues with their sexuality?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say the one who is gay

D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was he trying to deflect from the screw up FG have made of the health service since they've been in power?
    Was he asked how come FG were able to break the 600+ people on trolleys, a record the FFailures couldn't even reach?

And I suppose you'd do better would you?

Health is a nightmare of a portfolio to be in charge of, I think LV is genuinely trying to do his best and is one of the more honest politicans in the Dail.

Fair play to him it's not easy to come on the airwaves to discuss ones sexuality, him doing so might help others who are afraid to tell their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Leo recounted Enda Kenny's reaction when Leo told him

"Do ya go to Panti Bar??"

The man is a walking cringe machine!

I think Leo explained well why he decided to reveal this info. He doesn't want to make ministerial decisions, presumably on gay marriage, and have people then think he had kept his sexuality on the down low in an attempt to conceal personal motivation for his professional decisions. He's just laying his cards on the table.

I can't help wonder if the climate where Oliver Callan's brand of satire can take aim at a persons sexuality like he did with Michael D Higgins recently, breeds a sense of discomfort in gay people in public life if they're keeping their personal business private. Are they worried it'll end up parodied on tv or on the front of a newspaper in the name of good fun as happened with Michael D if they don't tell all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Well I won't be voting for him anyway. Im not in Dublin West. Bum Bum! (So to speak)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ireland's first gay T-Shock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Funny how now our health minister comes out as gay, he can't legally donate blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Not unless you live in a parallel universe where straights were until recently a discriminated against minority (as depicted in a hilarious under-rated short story by Martin Amis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Water_and_Other_Stories )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I think Leo explained well why he decided to reveal this info. He doesn't want to make ministerial decisions, presumably on gay marriage, and have people then think he had kept his sexuality on the down low in an attempt to conceal personal motivation for his professional decisions. He's just laying his cards on the table.

I can't help wonder if the climate where Oliver Callan's brand of satire can take aim at a persons sexuality like he did with Michael D Higgins recently, breeds a sense of discomfort in gay people in public life if they're keeping their personal business private. Are they worried it'll end up parodied on tv or on the front of a newspaper in the name of good fun as happened with Michael D if they don't tell all?

Various differnent public figures are parodied for even more various reasons, why should being a homosexual be off limits? It's non stop how homosexuals want to be treated the same as everyone else and be equal and all that but only when it suits them apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

You left out the punch-line.

Varadkar said no he hadn't been to Panti bar.
    The Taoiseach said-- "There you go Varadkar, I'm ahead of you already".

Clearly the Taoiseach was putting him at ease. You shouldn't try to portray in a negative light what was obviously a friendly and well-meaning comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Funny how now our health minister comes out as gay, he can't legally donate blood.

He couldn't have legally donated blood before he came out either

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fox News your source for evil and down right ignorant mistakes gets it wrong again.

www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/18/irish-cabinet-member-tells-nation-gay-becomes-ireland-1st-openly-gay-government/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I prefer to come inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Various differnent public figures are parodied for even more various reasons, why should being a homosexual be off limits? It's non stop how homosexuals want to be treated the same as everyone else and be equal and all that but only when it suits them apparently?
    Various differnent public figures are parodied for even more various reasons, why should being black be off limits? It's non stop how blacks want to be treated the same as everyone else and be equal and all that but only when it suits them apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

I'm quite surprised to see some people saying that this "doesn't matter".
    In an ideal world it wouldn't matter, but it definitely does in my opinion. Coming from the west of Ireland, I can say without doubt there are still plenty of people who, unfortunately, think being gay is wrong and Leo's coming out will lose FG votes. Of course there are plenty of enlightened people out here too.
    It's still a brave thing to do this day and age.

• Advertisement

Icepick wrote: »
    Various differnent public figures are parodied for even more various reasons, why should being black be off limits? It's non stop how blacks want to be treated the same as everyone else and be equal and all that but only when it suits them apparently?

Maybe fat people or people with a lisp should be off limits too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,118 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He's still a wanker.

:/

Or those that engage in bestiality... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fox News your source for evil and down right ignorant mistakes gets it wrong again.

www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/18/irish-cabinet-member-tells-nation-gay-becomes-ireland-1st-openly-gay-government/

Not exactly inaccurate, he is as far as I'm aware the first openly gay cabinet minister in Irish political history.

Fair play to him btw, hopefully will soften the stance of any conservative toying with voting no to the marriage referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Maybe you should stop saying stupid things.

There's still a stigma attached to being gay as well inequality under the law; when that isn't the case, then you might have a point.

He is not the first openly gay(that just sounds wrong on so many levels) government figure there are at least two other gay members of the Dail afaik both are part of the serving government.

Maybe you should stop saying stupid things.

There's still a stigma attached to being gay as well inequality under the law; when that isn't the case, then you might have a point.

I don't see how, it's quite fashionable to either be gay or support gay rights nowadays. You are right about being unequal in the eyes of the law though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Does he have a boyfriend? #gay&fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

He is not the first openly gay(that just sounds wrong on so many levels) government figure there are at least two other gay members of the Dail afaik both are part of the serving government.

I don't think Fox were trying to mislead, he is as stated the the first cabinet level politician to be openly gay (not sure what you're problem with that phrase is), and the cabinet for all intents and purposes is the Government (as opposed to the parties holding the majority seats) which is the significance of the story and why they're reporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

It would seem since he came back from his nice sunny holiday in the USA, he has other things on his mind, & The Health Service Seems to have "come out" in second place. People are being put in Danger while on Hospital Trollies, One has to wonder if Dustin The Turkey would have done a better Job.

Advertisement