Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

What's that Shakespeare play called... Emm ah yes! 'Much Ado About Nothing'
    Or how about that great justification: "All's Well that Ends Well".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

She was clear enough about it in her interview with Ray: that there should be scope for conscientious exceptions.

What's less clear is what range of issues might count as issues of conscience. I can't imagine any party leadership in government tolerating individual TDs voting against a budget. I wonder if Lucinda falls into the trap of regarding matters connected with sex, marriage, and the family as special zones where a politician might have a conscience, but that other political questions are different.

I don't think of Ray as a political interviewer, but I thought he did a reasonably good job dealing with Lucinda.

It's a puzzle to me - you can argue that politicians can be flexible when it comes to matters of finance & economic policy. But when it comes to 'matters of conscience' like abortion and the like, they tend more to be immovable and obdurate.

Given Lucinda's very rigid views (to which she's entitled to hold), I just can't see her leading a party where some/ any of her possibly elected TDs vote against her on such matters.

Doesn't make any sense to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Callan57 wrote: »
    Why is it only "this issue" that involves conscience?

I said the same thing to the old man at the weekend... Almost anything that politicians make decisions on can be categorised as a matter of conscience.... Social Welfare, Taxation (e.g. Universal Social Charge), Health, Foreign Affairs (particularly in relation to the North), Education.... And with any other ministries that like Sport, there would always be the "matter of conscience" argument that you "shouldnt be spending so much on Sport when it could be spent on health".

I think the simple truth is that it is not possible to pass legislation and govern unless there is some form of consensus or whip in place.... I mean at the moment Lucinda says that herself and Eddie would vote with their conscience on the matter of abortion, and this is purportedly a great thing.. But if we put just the two of them in charge of the country tomorrow, and all you have to do is get agreement with TWO people, they still wouldnt be able to agree on legislation on abortion..

"We're gonna have a show on Fridays where we help people out"....

Sounds familiar.. what will he call it Repair It Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Considering Fix It Friday was basically "we use our internet connection for you" in the days when people didn't have broadband, I'm not sure that the same concept *can* work any more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Some mouth on yer one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Yeah, between 'Mystery Voices' and 'Mailbag' etc., very strong deja vu feel to the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Shock of all shocks, rashers which are produced by a craft butcher and available only through Avoca shops are of superior quality to Tesco own brand that is approximately 10 times cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That adoption comedy night definitely sounds like one to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭goochy

regarding help out friday - he keeps boasting about how companies and people take notice when the national broadcaster contacts them rather than joe public- so annoying !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's true though. A company will see a free advertising opportunity

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Gift Grub have had another cut at Darcy again this morning. Doing the skit on liveline, and the subject of rugby comes up, so "Ray" pipes up, "I might be able to help you there Joe, I played a bit of rugby in my time".

"ah give it a rest will ya Ray" comes the reply...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

bruschi wrote: »
    Gift Grub have had another cut at Darcy again this morning. Doing the skit on liveline, and the subject of rugby comes up, so "Ray" pipes up, "I might be able to help you there Joe, I played a bit of rugby in my time".

"ah give it a rest will ya Ray" comes the reply...

Was very funny in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

ah f@ck off Darcy with your Rugby bandwagon crap...

moan moan moan

if we were not paying RTE "stars" crazy money we could afford to bid more for sporting events

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, the three of them talking about the tabs in the end of a cling-film box like it's the third secret of Fatima or something.

Is this really our national radio station I'm listening to?

Off to Lyric to reduce my blood pressure a bit.

Oh God D'Arcy, what are you trying to do to this woman... clumsily making one stupid insensitive statement after another... Ironically Brendan O'Connor would have been brilliant at this sort of interview...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Oh God D'Arcy, what are you trying to do to this woman... clumsily making one stupid insensitive statement after another... Ironically Brendan O'Connor would have been brilliant at this sort of interview...

So would Sean Moncriff who was doing an interview re women in the 2nd half of their live with sex etc no bother to Sean !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Jaysus, the three of them talking about the tabs in the end of a cling-film box like it's the third secret of Fatima or something.

Is this really our national radio station I'm listening to?

Off to Lyric to reduce my blood pressure a bit.
    Jenny was the worst. "Oh my god. That's so amazing"

What's so amazing about it. I knew how to do that 40 years ago.

Surprised D'Arcy didnt suggest that he just go and get a job working with his missus..

• Advertisement

I suppose it's only appropriate that d'arcy has another car crash of an interview when discussing Top Gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ray's from Kildare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭PIORUN

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ray's from Kildare ?
    horsey background but not really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

I suppose it's only appropriate that d'arcy has another car crash of an interview when discussing Top Gear

Guido was infinitely more interesting and informative than Ray

Ray is raging here, he managed to get 2 at least of the most boring people on the country on the radio. He's already thinking that this was one of their most ideas for a segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

He went on sniggering way too long at his little boys gag about making something hard turn soft, yer man wasn't entertaining his childishness at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

PIORUN wrote: »
    horsey background but not really!

Ray Darcy has far from a "horsey" background if by that you mean he was privileged! (as he will let you know anytime he gets chance!) very working class background from a big family living in a small house. Think his father was an ex soldier.

jean sizes:rolleyes:

Ray Darcy has far from a "horsey" background if by that you mean he was privileged! (as he will let you know anytime he gets chance!) very working class background from a big family living in a small house. Think his father was an ex soldier.
    I was quoting Ray....he said he was from Kildare " horsey background but not really, I'm from Kildare"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

PIORUN wrote: »
    I was quoting Ray....he said he was from Kildare " horsey background but not really, I'm from Kildare"

What did he mean by that?! Was he saying someone else is less a kildare man than him!! Apologies, don't get the quote! I assumed you were just saying he (ray) came from a horsey background.......ha, confuding!

One activity we do know he took part in when he was younger was "a little bit of rugby" but he hates bringing it up...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement