Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

i was listening friday, i do on and off. i cant understand why he has so many staples of his old today fm show on his new RTE show.

sure, I can understand the justification that it worked well there and brought in listeners but if that is the case, why move to RTE at all? Today FM said they wanted him to stay so it wasnt like he was booted out, so if he left for artistic reasons why rehash all the art again? He said it wasnt for money so I am discounting that theory too.

He also sounds so tired and bored, like it had done in the last year or so on Today FM. Ok, if he was bored doing the same old same old there and moved to refresh himself I can get it, but he is doing the same stuff again and still sounds tired and bored.

I pressed the newstalk button and moncrief was very jolly, hyper and sounded, you know, like he was enjoying his work. That said, to me he is the type of happy hyper I couldnt stick with for a whole show with, but there is no reason why Ray cant find the middle ground there and be less, well, depressed.

I just cant see why he moved to be honest, I have no bother tuning into his as i did before, I am not a hater or anything, just wondering for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I just cant see why he moved to be honest, I have no bother tuning into his as i did before, I am not a hater or anything, just wondering for the sake of it.

It probably has alot to do with the fact he's working half the time for double the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'm dreading Ray during Cheltenham... Mooney was actually funny when he was covering the races playing the part of the newbie punter. He could be annoying at times but for the most part he just got in on the fun of it.

I can't see D'Arcy not taking the joy out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Deedsie wrote: »
    I'm dreading Ray during Cheltenham... Mooney was actually funny when he was covering the races playing the part of the newbie punter. He could be annoying at times but for the most part he just got in on the fun of it.

He'll probably have Declan Lynch on to talk about the evils of gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Deedsie wrote: »

I'm sure he'll have a piece about problem gambling. A nice misery slot about a guy that gambled away the family home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

You can thank one man for Ray Jenny and Will being on RTE Radio 1 that man is Willie O'Reilly. in fact D'arcy could have ended up on the dole back in 2000 had it not been for Willie o'Reilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Guess I did not phrase that very well.
    I don't suspect the girl of lying. She
    was extremely articulate and spoke very
    convincingly of her life with her two
    fathers. My concern would be that she
    might have been 'encouraged' by CO'G
    to publicise her letter, and he does have an agenda. His 'using' her would be what I'd find unseemly. Why was her full name not given when she was introduced?

Your poetry is weird and doesn't rhyme.

I don't know if she was encouraged by Colm O'Gorman to write the letter but considering the doom and gloom scenarios presented by the likes of the Iona Institute about how families will dissolve completely and somehow the notion of conventional straight marriage will be undermined (whatever the feck that means) by giving gay equal rights, it's interesting to hear the perspective of someone who has grown up in a slightly unconventional upbringing and has suffered no ill effects from it. With the upcoming referendum on marriage and the bill on children's rights, personal accounts like this are going to get dragged into the political arena.

I'll avoid him as much as I can but its a dampener on what is a great week knowing that he'll have to have a go. He is incapable of just enjoying himself without bringing it down. Don't get me wrong I do sympathise with people who suffer gambling problems.

For four days I hope Ray just shuts up and tries to enjoy it or ignore it and let someone else cover for him. Marty Morrissey would be brilliant cover this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You can thank one man for Ray Jenny and Will being on RTE Radio 1 that man is Willie O'Reilly.

Actually that's a good point. I didn't realise that he had moved to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm sure he'll have a piece about problem gambling. A nice misery slot about a guy that gambled away the family home.

Wasn't he hawking around last week for alcoholics to be interviewed on his show for this week? It would be Ray's wet dream if he could find an alcoholic gambling addict to coincidence with the Cheltenham Festival coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

"Paris marathon" only the best for jenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Newsflash for this guy, cities have always been like that

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭PIORUN

Ray knows all about sucking the life out of things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

That was an interesting item on rural Ireland - might try and look in this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

you would think he grew up in downtown Manhattan the way he is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

Still no "joy" getting through to this Mystery Voice comp... meh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

you would think he grew up in downtown Manhattan the way he is going on

Ray reckons Kildare town was as urbane as London, NYC or Paris, he's said as much only last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Wasn't he hawking around last week for alcoholics to be interviewed on his show for this week? It would be Ray's wet dream if he could find an alcoholic gambling addict to coincidence with the Cheltenham Festival coverage.

Nah, it'd be ideal if he got someone giving birth, is his wet dream, not at Cheltenham, but if it was a pregnant horse owner who won the race, who knows :p
    folamh wrote: »
    Still no "joy" getting through to this Mystery Voice comp... meh

I'm beginning to think its Mary McAleese?

Btw: I missed the end of the show, as did i hear that Audrey Hepburn's granny comes from Ballsbridge & her step-mum's Irish :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm beginning to think its Mary McAleese?

Btw: I missed the end of the show, as did i hear that Audrey Hepburn's granny comes from Ballsbridge & her step-mum's Irish :confused:

Not MMcA. Apparently the voice is British.

Step-mum is still living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Nah, it'd be ideal if he got someone giving birth, is his wet dream, not at Cheltenham, but if it was a pregnant horse owner who won the race, who knows

did he not get that when he was on todayfm? thought he had some woman on who was in the hospital and in labour

• Advertisement

Just heard they are covering the racing live into the Ray D'Arcy show- he won't be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Just heard they are covering the racing live into the Ray D'Arcy show- he won't be happy with that

Is Ray doing the commentary?

wish Dustin was that would be good

chances are Ray will hit the wrong button and we'll end up getting something entirely different anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ha ha this exact letter was read out on today FM last week.

baldbear wrote: »

yes I heard it too, well they are copying everything else

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

baldbear wrote: »

What was that?

the problem section had a letter from a girl that was somethning along the lines of she was previously going out with a married man and wondered whether she should tell her new fella. It was the exact same letter that Anton's problem section dealt with one day last week

Just after the 16:00 race today D'Arcy said something like "and we are back I suppose we will have this for the rest of the week. We inherited this from our predecessors" didn't sound at all impressed.

I'll be listening on RTÉ Radio 1 Extra for the rest of the week. I had enough misery between the races today. Feel really sorry for people who don't have the same option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Not MMcA. Apparently the voice is British.

Step-mum is still living in Dublin.

Thanks, as i'd heard about Audrey's granny, but heard a little on the step-mum, before long we'll be calling it 6degrees of separation from Ireland to Hollywood:)
    neris wrote: »
    did he not get that when he was on todayfm? thought he had some woman on who was in the hospital and in labour
    Afaik, no, but i'd say Jenny threw the toys out the pram when finding out Ray was told to finish up that w/end!

I heard that, as i briefly tuned in after 3 & it went straight to the racing after the 3.30 news, no direct link from Ray to the racing correspondent, maybe he hit the right button:rolleyes:
    the problem section had a letter from a girl that was somethning along the lines of she was previously going out with a married man and wondered whether she should tell her new fella. It was the exact same letter that Anton's problem section dealt with one day last week

I wonder is it possible to pass something off as less believable on Ray now, although i did send in a text to Ray when he was interviewing Stellan Skarsgaard on TFM, the text was Natalie Portman or Scarlett Johannson, as i'd heard Stellan's answer before, & i wasn't too sure if Ray had heard him in interviews for his research, as Stellan hates that question :p & always his answer is ''why would you choose, between two great actors''

It was hilarious & to be a fly on the wall to see Ray's reaction :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement