Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Why would they?

Exactly, the alternative "viewpoint" isn't really a viewpoint at all, just a homophobic backward notion that has no place in 2015 Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

D'arcy gets payed 500k a year for this or is it for a decade? Only good thing he did was Zig and Zag and he was nearly blushing at what a clown he was looking in that. Hes the top earner or one of them now in RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If it's about the upcoming referendum though, are RTE not supposed to provide a balance, for better or worse? Maybe the campaign hasn't officially started yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

This is what 500k pa buys licence fee payers...

Q what's the weather like?
    Q what's the plans for the weekend?
    Q what are you up to tonight?

my friend wrote: »
    This is what 500k pa buys licence fee payers...

Q what's the weather like?
    Q what's the plans for the weekend?
    Q what are you up to tonight?

Yes, do you have a problem? Simple questions? Ordinary conversation :) Somebody's gotta do it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

Talk about lazy, ****ing fix it friday on RTE R 1 now, that was stale about 10 years ago when everyone had an internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Expunge

BarryD wrote: »
    Yes, do you have a problem? Simple questions? Ordinary conversation :) Somebody's gotta do it..

d'Arcy is the sort of person who took the time to have a chuckle at British politician Eric Pickles' name. That's fine if was some tedious eejit in a pub, but this man is on RTE Radio 1 at what is reported to be a great cost.
    Not acceptable.

I'd suggest that people who find musings on Eric Pickles' name to be entertaining are also eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Absolutely, was amazed he would get into this tired and hackneyed format.

What I find curious about the Ray D'Arcy programme is that he's still inadvertently giving out his old email address and also seemingly still pushing the wrong buttons. I know old habits die hard, but after a month you'd wonder a bit? Maybe it's part of his charm :) We're all human etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

What I find curious about the Ray D'Arcy programme is that he's still inadvertently giving out his old email address and also seemingly still pushing the wrong buttons. I know old habits die hard, but after a month you'd wonder a bit? Maybe it's part of his charm :) We're all human etc.

He was still hitting the wrong buttons at todayfm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »
    Definitely. It took courage for her to do that.

Just trying to figure out how the Ray D'Arcy show will balance out her contribution.

A 15 year old reading out a letter about life with a mother and father won't really grab the attention.

I assume they will air an alternative viewpoint?

An unhappy child of a gay couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Regarding saying the old email address repeatedly I think the mistake was changing it from ray@todayfm to ray@Rte. I think they should have given him a different address altogether like raydarcy@Rte or raylive@rte etc. It's hard to fault him for saying the old address when it just rolled off the tongue for 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Talk about lazy, ****ing fix it friday on RTE R 1 now, that was stale about 10 years ago when everyone had an internet connection.

They now have FIF now on the show! as well as Emailbag now on a friday, i missed the show y'day

He's also good at pressing the wrong buttons on some people as well :D
    An unhappy child of a gay couple?

What happened there, as i missed the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭goochy

a girl from wexford who has two dads ( she says her mother went to live in africa so not sure if one of the dads is her real one or not ; she wasnt very clear about that) read out a letter she had sent in about how she had two dads and she has happy life and its no different to other plp and she gets treated same in school

it was nice letter but i personally dont agree with situation , i am a young fogey and believe in tradition so it didnt pull at my heart strings

the other day ray was saying that like a guests mother his mother was a great woman he asked jenny another time ' youre not like my mother .? not at all she said . why am i not surprised by that ? wonder what they make of the south county dublin woman out rathangan way ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Why would they?

Well, when you see who the 'Dad' is you might be aware he's a guy well capable of launching / running campaigns

I believe one of her 'Dads' is Colm O'Gorman (currently CEO of Amnesty Ireland)

The wording of the letter is very similar to the way he writes and speaks.

No skin in the game here, just demanding full disclosure which Ray didn't provide listeners with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭goochy

very sinister ! it wasnt very clear was he married to her mother ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Well, when you see who the 'Dad' is you might be aware he's a guy well capable of launching / running campaigns

No skin in the game here, just demanding full disclosure which Ray didn't provide listeners with.
    He did provide full disclosure: there was a brief interview with Colm O'Gorman at the end of the piece. I suspect that it was kept brief so that the daughter could have the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

goochy wrote: »
    a girl from wexford who has two dads ( she says her mother went to live in africa so not sure if one of the dads is her real one or not ; she wasnt very clear about that) read out a letter she had sent in about how she had two dads and she has happy life and its no different to other plp and she gets treated same in school

it was nice letter but i personally dont agree with situation , i am a young fogey and believe in tradition so it didnt pull at my heart strings

It wasn't supposed to pull at anybody's heart strings. It was supposed to counter the ridiculous argument from old and young fogeys alike that in some way growing up in a family that has two mums or two dads is in some way inferior to that of a "traditional" family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Heard the interview in the car. Was wondering why Ray did not give her
    full name. When I heard how articulate she was, I suspected Colm O'Gorman
    might have been one of her fathers. I
    think there is something unseemly about
    using his daughter in the campaign for
    same sex marriage. Ray should have been upfront in letting the listeners know
    who she was. Not everyone has access
    to the Internet where the photo of Ray,
    Colm O'Gorman and his daughter can be
    seen.

Edit: I believe Colm O'Gorman was interviewed by Ray afterwards. Did
    not hear it. I presume the girl was
    then identified as CO'G's daughter.

He did provide full disclosure: there was a brief interview with Colm O'Gorman at the end of the piece. I suspect that it was kept brief so that the daughter could have the limelight.

I was listening sort of, whilst working, and the Colm O'Gorman connection passed me by completely. Must have been brief enough? I thought she was just a random member of the public who had written in.

Nothing wrong in her doing so - the Iona people have related family spokespeople too on the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

goochy wrote: »
    the other day ray was saying that like a guests mother his mother was a great woman he asked jenny another time ' youre not like my mother .? not at all she said . why am i not surprised by that ? wonder what they make of the south county dublin woman out rathangan way ?

What's your point? That people love their own parents? I love my mother but it's not because she's a woman, it's because she was a loving parent.

I was listening sort of, whilst working, and the Colm O'Gorman connection passed me by completely. Must have been brief enough? I thought she was just a random member of the public who had written in.

Nothing wrong in her doing so - the Iona people have related family spokespeople too on the job.

I also originally thought she was a random person contacting the show,
    even though I wondered why she did
    not give her surname. I was very impressed by her as she spoke to Ray as she came across as a fine person. However, as she read out her letter, I
    began to suspect that she might be Colm
    O'Gorman's daughter. Nothing wrong
    with that if she did it off her own bat,
    but, if done at the urging of CO'G, it
    puts a completely different colour on
    the interview, IMHO.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    ... Nothing wrong
    with that if she did it off her own bat,
    but, if done at the urging of CO'G, it
    puts a completely different colour on
    the interview, IMHO.
    She said in the interview that it was her own idea as a school exercise. I don't see any reason to suppose that she was lying.

It seems probable that her views are mediated by her life experience, as are anybody's. A child raised in a happy home with same-sex parents could very reasonably hold the view that same-sex parenting is not necessarily a bad thing.

She said in the interview that it was her own idea as a school exercise. I don't see any reason to suppose that she was lying.

It seems probable that her views are mediated by her life experience, as are anybody's. A child raised in a happy home with same-sex parents could very reasonably hold the view that same-sex parenting is not necessarily a bad thing.

Guess I did not phrase that very well.
    I don't suspect the girl of lying. She
    was extremely articulate and spoke very
    convincingly of her life with her two
    fathers. My concern would be that she
    might have been 'encouraged' by CO'G
    to publicise her letter, and he does have an agenda. His 'using' her would be what I'd find unseemly. Why was her full name not given when she was introduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Even the fool that was just told or ordered to stand in goal in national school as he wasn't good for anything else was able to kick the ball out or take a goal kick.

After all his years in the radio and TV industry the Half a million a year national radio presenter Raymond D'arcy still isn't able to figure out what button does what or when to press the correct button yet. What a feckin' joke, in all fairness!

brooke 2 wrote: »
    ... Why was her full name not given when she was introduced?
    I didn't notice how she was introduced, and I don't know what surname she uses (O'Gorman being one of three possibilities).

If she were introduced as Colm O'Gorman's daughter, I think that would have been tantamount to inviting listeners to hear what she had to say as being O'Gorman's manifesto. It would have taken from her contribution. She has a right to be heard as herself.

Giving the O'Gorman link at the end seems to me to have been the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why did you Dads in quotation marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Have to say I have not heard the show once since the move, but just reading through the thread out of a sort of morbid curiosity . Has anything changed since his time at Today FM ? Reading here it would seem they just moved the same tired old idea across to RTE and charged half a million per year . Is he still leading his populist crusades against the government now that they pay his wages ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dom Phil Cobe

Have to say I have not heard the show once since the move, but just reading through the thread out of a sort of morbid curiosity . Has anything changed since his time at Today FM ? Reading here it would seem they just moved the same tired old idea across to RTE and charged half a million per year . Is he still leading his populist crusades against the government now that they pay his wages ?

It's a carbon copy of his stale today fm show, only shorter and an interruption for An Nuacht in the middle of some interviews

• Advertisement

Why not listen then and make up your own mind rather than taking the word of people here? Seems to me that this thread is well populated with posters that have 'axes to grind' - Ray D'Arcy sure has picked up a good few 'enemies' along the way!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement