Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

How much was the prize money before?
    Starting at 100 and going up by 20 a day seems such a pittance, considering the host earns that in a few minutes

Think they used to have e1000 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Just before the size of manhood interview today just after 4, he gave the e mail address as ray@todayfm.com and didnt correct himself either!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Mooney's Money" was a scam. They used one of those premium-rate phone lines at a euro a pop. They only needed a couple of thousand entries to recoup the prizemoney if the takings were split between RTE and the phone service provider. They probably made a profit out of it, as the Late Late Show and Saturday Night Show probably do with their "phone-in' competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

"Mooney's Money" was a scam. They used one of those premium-rate phone lines at a euro a pop. They only needed a couple of thousand entries to recoup the prizemoney if the takings were split between RTE and the phone service provider. They probably made a profit out of it, as the Late Late Show and Saturday Night Show probably do with their "phone-in' competitions.
    I don't see the problem with this.

People are obviously happy to pay the 30 cent or whatever it is, and it's an alternative revenue source.

The more funding RTE generates from non-State sources the better in my view.

Joe Duffy's liveline polls must pay a decent chunk of his salary.

I'd rather that situation over RTE coming back to the taxpayer, cap in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Gift Grub featured Ray this morning , very funny stuff.

They had all the portray-er's of misery from RTE on. George Hook, Joe Duffy, Eamon Dunphy & Vincent Browne. At the very end Darcy came on and Hook cut him off saying we don't have time for any more!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dcrosskid wrote: »

They had all the portray-er's of misery from RTE on. George Hook, Joe Duffy, Eamon Dunphy & Vincent Browne. At the very end Darcy came on and Hook cut him off saying we don't have time for any more!!

Yeah they're really putting the boot into Ray since he left.

Loved the sigh at the end when he was cut short. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

I'd say this confirms that Ray was very unpopular in the place before he left..

Taking the pee a few times after he left was to be expected from Mario and Co. but I'd say todays one will cut to the bone a bit..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The payout to the promoter on a €1 PRS service is surprisingly pathetic. 23% VAT, mobile network and service provider fees as well as rental for the number hack a lot out. You'd need 5-7,000 entries (depending on network of the texting in 'customer') for that to cover itself and realistically getting that many a day off Mooney's audience would be unlikely.

In the old days it probably did, people had more money and SMS competitions were newer, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

conorh91 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy's liveline polls must pay a decent chunk of his salary.

Nowhere near it I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Thought that both interviews yesterday with McSavage and the chap talking about the rugby were pretty useless. He wouldn't let them talk, or answer. When McSavage started slagging him you could hear the tension rise in the studio.

Anyone know why Today FM as sooooo reluctant to mention his name. Just listening to Anton and "the former resident" was mentioned and brushed over as quick as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

dcrosskid wrote: »

I have heard a few small digs from Today FM presenters since Darcy left the station. Also Radio Republic regularly do a skit on Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

neris wrote: »
    Just heard the start of his show today and the highlight of the rugby for ray was oconnell taking his kid from the stand down the tunnel. He realy is a child obsessed boring little man

You obviously have no children! I thought it was cute. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Found myself reading this in Eamon Dunphy's accent :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

my friend wrote: »
    You're incapable of accepting it's poor that a professional broadcaster on €500k pa is incoherent, plenty of people 'with accents' are coherent

Professional broadcasters should always be coherent irrespective of accents.

Yet he was coherent enough for you to understand what he was saying, which invalidates your own argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

"there's great heat in that sun":rolleyes:

July by Mundy is being taken from the cellophane as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

and a great stretch in the evenings! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Paulo Nutini...............and he even mentions Today FM at the end of it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hoya doin', great dryin' altogether.

Paolo Nutini on today..... on RTE.

• Advertisement

Doesn't sound like he's there to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What sort of rubbish is this :confused:

Why is he whispering, and not even there if he's to be believed?

They should play repeats of Ray's show on a loop on a loudspeaker into the O'Donnell's mansion. They wouldn't be long coming out.

Why did he not get out there an hour ago and have all this stuff lined up? He has nothing to report, and WHY IS HE WHISPERING???

A transition year project would do a better job of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Roving reporter

And bored listeners.

WTF is with the giggling, is he realising how stupid this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

mikep wrote: »
    I'd say this confirms that Ray was very unpopular in the place before he left....

I'd say it confirms nothing.

Public figures are up for getting the piss taken out of them and getting slaughtered on Boards whether they worked in Today FM or not.

Newstalk has gained one more listener on the back of the last five minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why did he not get out there an hour ago and have all this stuff lined up? He has nothing to report, and WHY IS HE WHISPERING???

A transition year project would do a better job of this.

Out of breath apparently - obviously 'Will' is not into the running. But what's all this business about the bould Vinny, has Will too forgotten that he's now working for RTE! The 'inbreeding' of people in the broadcasting community I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Rays obsessions

Depression & Jogging combined

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement