Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

What did they say about boards?

They were talking about the eurovision and he asked the guy "what are they saying on boards.ie"?, the lad just laughed......he must read here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Will, if you read this you are doing a great job. As is Ray! :)

Don't worry about all the bad comments. You know what they say ..... :) Keep up the good work!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭goochy

thats good of you jenny to offer some encouragement but youre deluded ! if only there was something else to switch to

goochy wrote: »
    thats good of you jenny to offer some encouragement but youre deluded ! if only there was something else to switch to

What?

only joking ! but this show isnt a patch on mooney show which wasnt exactly outstanding how ray ever made it on radio is a mystery !
    he comes across as a bumbling half wit , but dont like moncrieff either so what else is there ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

only joking ! but this show isnt a patch on mooney show which wasnt exactly outstanding how ray ever made it on radio is a mystery !
    he comes across as a bumbling half wit , but dont like moncrieff either so what else is there ?

Internet radio?

Assume he has been given about a 3 yr contract ? Found shay byrne a bit too full on when he was on mooney and too much of a dub ( i am one myself but he puts the whole accent on a bit) but he would be cheaper and better .

Brenda is one very annoying woman but would love to hear back now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Assume he has been given about a 3 yr contract ? Found shay byrne too full on

Now there is the man they should have given the job to... He fitted right in when he covered for Mooney... He's like Mooney without the angst and the chip on his shoulder...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭mikep

jimmyw wrote: »
    They were talking about the eurovision and he asked the guy "what are they saying on boards.ie"?, the lad just laughed......he must read here.

Jenny and Will were also laughing in the background, particularly Jenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Kaka Max wrote: »
    I've given it a chance. I find it leaves me cold, depressed or angry after listening to it

I would suggest other issues are at play here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

syklops wrote: »
    Amazing how few people who havnt embraced the paperless office.

The lack of a paperless office has nothing to do with Ray. Maybe one for the IT dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Now there is the man they should have given the job to... He fitted right in when he covered for Mooney... He's like Mooney without the angst and the chip on his shoulder...

+1

I really liked him. Thought he did really well covering for mooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

More Music wrote: »
    The lack of a paperless office has nothing to do with Ray. Maybe one for the IT dept.

I'd say the less technical contraptions or things with buttons on them in front of Ray the better. He's bad enough as it is.

Kaka Max wrote: »
    I've given it a chance. I find it leaves me cold, depressed or angry after listening to it
    I'd say the less technical contraptions or things with buttons on them in front of Ray the better. He's bad enough as it is.

interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Will, if you read this you are doing a great job. As is Ray! :)

Don't worry about all the bad comments. You know what they say ..... :) Keep up the good work!! :):)

A Bobblehead Ray and a few boxes of porridge in the post for you, Git. You're doing a mighty job here man, well done.

A Bobblehead Ray and a few boxes of porridge in the post for you, Git. You're doing a mighty job here man, well done.

Thanks for joining and going straight to this thread. Hmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Thanks for joining and going straight to this thread. Hmmmm.

Tut, tut .... I've already been pulled up on this thread for pointing such curiosities out. D'Arcy must be good at generating new Boardsies! ;)

I'll give him another week or so. If he keeps avoids the lectures and sticks to just presenting the show himself, I reckon it's grand. A fair good selection of interesting guests so far.

doesnt matter if the guests are interesting when ray is interviewing them u lose interest ! i am sure he is a clever guy but hasnt personality for radio

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

doesnt matter if the guests are interesting when ray is interviewing them u lose interest ! i am sure he is a clever guy but hasnt personality for radio

just like Tubirty Ray seems to suck the lifeforce out of guests leaving them a shadow of their former selves ,wondering why they ever became famous in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

just like Tubirty Ray seems to suck the lifeforce out of guests leaving them a shadow of their former selves ,wondering why they ever became famous in the first place

My fella calls Tubs "the customs officer" due to his usual routine of questioning

Are you Irish?
    Are your parents Irish?
    Your grand parents?
    Surely there is some Irish in you?

Have you ever been to Ireland before?
    Where did you visit?
    Are you certain you're not Irish?

and so on...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I have started listening to Sean Moncrieff.

It's that bad.

I find so much of Ray's interview technique is really awkward chat. Is that supposed to be his charm? And why does he start the show telling us about his family life and the things his children get up to. And why is his wife there:confused:

Anyone hear that sh1te last week where Ray comes on the radio and immediately goes into grouchy mode... little Tom brought home a cold, and now Ray has it, and he hasn't had a pick to eat all day so he feels cranky... like who wants to listen to that??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

conorh91 wrote: »
    I have started listening to Sean Moncrieff.

It's that bad.

I find so much of Ray's interview technique is really awkward chat. Is that supposed to be his charm? And why does he start the show telling us about his family life and the things his children get up to. And why is his wife there:confused:

Anyone hear that sh1te last week where Ray comes on the radio and immediately goes into grouchy mode... little Tom brought home a cold, and now Ray has it, and he hasn't had a pick to eat all day so he feels cranky... like who wants to listen to that??

300,000+ punters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

300,000+ punters?
    That's the number he inherited from Mooney.

I'm sure Ray has some good qualities, and if he works to whatever skills he has, I'm sure he'll retain a lot of the listeners.

But 300,000 people do not want to hear dreary anecdotes and self-pity.

Darcy was losing listeners before he left Today FM, and I can only see that trend continuing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

conorh91 wrote: »

Darcy was losing listeners before he left Today FM, and I can only see that trend continuing.

I was thinking that he might well build an audience in that slot on RTE. Mooney had gotten quite cranky with people texting into the show and perhaps he was alienating the more traditional and conservative listeners that form a core group of people that automatically tune into Radio1.

Darcy had quickly run out of road in the last 5 years with the core group of Today FM listeners. He increasingly felt no need to disguise his natural Irish conservative bent thinking that everyone else must be trudging towards the same assumed middle aged grounds of conservative social mannerisms at the same rate of ho-hum knots as himself. I think he got this wrong, badly wrong. But he didn't appear to care.

Just as well though. if he'd tried to disguise his disdain and bewilderment at people enjoying things he didn't think were fit for social purpose and had tried to move with the average middle aged Joe and "get it on wid da gang" of younger listeners it would have been as comfortable as a drunk uncle slow dancing with a niece at a wedding in Termonfeckin.

Some present Radio1 listeners might move the dial away because his style and personality has a whiff of 1972 Irish parochial jadedness where "fun" is devised by the local teacher, licensed by the Gardai, and stamped by the parish priest.

Mooney might well have driven some of the people that enjoy that type of social regulation away from the station at that time of the day.

But I kinda think that Ray might well bring back the pursed lip finger waggers back to the station.

Ray is comfortable in the company of Tut-Tutters, in the last 5 years he thought we'd all become one. Like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

humberklog wrote: »
    I was thinking that he might well build an audience in that slot on RTE. Mooney had gotten quite cranky with people texting into the show and perhaps he was alienating the more traditional and conservative listeners that form a core group of people that automatically tune into Radio1.

Darcy had quickly run out of road in the last 5 years with the core group of Today FM listeners. He increasingly felt no need to disguise his natural Irish conservative bent thinking that everyone else must be trudging towards the same assumed middle aged grounds of conservative social mannerisms at the same rate of ho-hum knots as himself. I think he got this wrong, badly wrong. But he didn't appear to care.

Just as well though. if he'd tried to disguise his disdain and bewilderment at people enjoying things he didn't think were fit for social purpose and had tried to move with the average middle aged Joe and "get it on wid da gang" of younger listeners it would have been as comfortable as a drunk uncle slow dancing with a niece at a wedding in Termonfeckin.

Some present Radio1 listeners might move the dial away because his style and personality has a whiff of 1972 Irish parochial jadedness where "fun" is devised by the local teacher, licensed by the Gardai, and stamped by the parish priest.

Mooney might well have driven some of the people that enjoy that type of social regulation away from the station at that time of the day.

But I kinda think that Ray might well bring back the pursed lip finger waggers back to the station.

Ray is comfortable in the company of Tut-Tutters, in the last 5 years he thought we'd all become one. Like him.

Jaysus, that's extreme. But not so far off the mark either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

As usual, humberklog has nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭PIORUN

300,000+ punters?
    I think a huge percentage of radio 1 listeners don't even know that there are other radio stations and the dial has never been moved from when the bough the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

PIORUN wrote: »
    I think a huge percentage of radio 1 listeners don't even know that there are other radio stations and the dial has never been moved from when the bough the radio.

There is a dial?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

he sounds a bit more upbeat today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

he sounds a bit more upbeat today

Amazing i just logged in to say that since i started listening the show just sounds joyless. No fun, feck all upbeat topics and its all just beige, beige radio.......................50 shades of beige.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement