Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seagate 500gb portable HDD USB3 Argos 25quid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

mac.in wrote: »
    I agree with you. But, I waited for nearly 4 days to get a code for Cork. Everyday, it vanished within seconds it was available. Then, there were lot of discussions on swap, etc. So, I thought why shouldn't I give a try. If everyone followed your advice, I would have got a code for cork by now. :(

Your logic makes no sense. This thread is dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Dave..M wrote: »
    Your logic makes no sense. This thread is dead to me.

I was having your logic till I reserved. Anyways, it's all subjective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

on_my_oe wrote: »
    If argos had a problem with it, they would take steps to prevent it - charge at reservation or minimal deposit to be deducted from the final price or forfeited to charity if not collected BUT argos are happy with the way their service runs.

If you ban it, it will still happen underground.

If it upsets you, just don't read the threads - what you don't know won't hurt you. It's much like a Tesco deal where the staff keep everything for themselves... Do I wish I'd gotten some of those deals, but hey, life goes on. What does surprise me us how upset you all are, it's a saving of €25, is it worth the nastiness some of you are directing to other boardsies?

It's not anything wrong with argos, it's prícks who reserve things in stores when they have no intention of picking it up. They then use it as a bargaining tool to swap for a store near them.

Celtic girl reserved several in different counties and was looking for a swap. I asked earlier for a naas code, she asks for one this evening and gets it. It's a shítty thing to do, should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Blame me.....i started the thread. Or better again thank my OP for giving us a bit of craic for few days! Ps I reserved all mine before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

athtrasna wrote: »
    What's really annoying me is there's a codes thread for people to offer or seek codes but almost 300 posts on this thread are to do just that, clogging up the thread sometimes leading to people missing availability updates. Is it really so hard to click the correct thread?

Now that I agree with - requests should go in requests, and anyone asking in the wrong thread should get one warning followed by a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

TheDriver wrote: »
    Blame me.....i started the thread. Or better again thank my OP for giving us a bit of craic for few days! Ps I reserved all mine before posting!

I blame the creator of checkargos.com, truly an evil genius at heart although maybe like Oppenheimer he wistfully regrets his moment of clarity as people from Co. Monaghan reserve his prized steam mop in Wexford town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Dave..M wrote: »
    I blame the creator of checkargos.com, truly an evil genius at heart although maybe like Oppenheimer he wistfully regrets his moment of clarity as people from Co. Monaghan reserve his prized steam mop in Wexford town!

We're coming for witnessmenow next, pitchforks in hand. (reserved online as one was in stock in dundalk)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

nc6000 wrote: »
    The trouble people are going to to save €20 odd quid on something they probably don't even really want is remarkable.

Couldn't agree more. To save 20 euro on a device from probably the manufacturer with the worst reputation in this sector is amazing what some folk are getting up to.

For those who didn't get a code, while it's a good price it not a good bargain if you must loose a few hours of your life hitting refresh on a PC keyboard.

Would be very interesting to see the stats from checkargos for number of searches/refreshes on the HDD SKU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭db

Gits_bone wrote: »
    It's not anything wrong with argos, it's prícks who reserve things in stores when they have no intention of picking it up. They then use it as a bargaining tool to swap for a store near them.

Celtic girl reserved several in different counties and was looking for a swap. I asked earlier for a naas code, she asks for one this evening and gets it. It's a shítty thing to do, should be banned.
    And who were you going to get a code from other than someone who had reserved it in your local store? It sounds to me like you resent her getting the code and you didn't. At least she was able to help someone else out and I'm sure they were happy to get the code same as I was. It's a bit hypocritical of you to be asking for others to be banned for doing the same as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I think its pretty poor form to try to get swaps. I understand getting a code, then getting one closer, and offering up your previous. But what do people swapping do when the code is close to expiring? Just leave it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

on_my_oe wrote: »
    If it upsets you, just don't read the threads - what you don't know won't hurt you. It's much like a Tesco deal where the staff keep everything for themselves... Do I wish I'd gotten some of those deals, but hey, life goes on. What does surprise me us how upset you all are, it's a saving of €25, is it worth the nastiness some of you are directing to other boardsies?

It hurts people if they can't get something in their local store because some tool in the other side of the country reserves them in order to horse trade.

I said it before, but some people don't seem to understand that they're causing the shortages and crazyiness seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Deal has expired. No stock. Close this mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Lau2976 wrote: »
    ...But what do people swapping do when the code is close to expiring? Just leave it?....

That how the system is meant to work. If people don't collect it does back into stock. That's the system working normally.

degsie wrote: »
    Deal has expired. No stock. Close this mods.

Why?

What normally happens is that a bargain thread is brought back when an offer comes back. Not that it gets closed. If people don't want updates they can unsub. Agros offers (and Dell) and other offers often get repeated every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

beauf wrote: »
    That how the system is meant to work. If people don't collect it does back into stock. That's the system working normally.

I meant there's a lot of people looking for codes for a lot of different places. You shouldn't not give the code to someone here because you couldn't swa with someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

db wrote: »
    And who were you going to get a code from other than someone who had reserved it in your local store? It sounds to me like you resent her getting the code and you didn't. At least she was able to help someone else out and I'm sure they were happy to get the code same as I was. It's a bit hypocritical of you to be asking for others to be banned for doing the same as you.

By reserving multiple codes she also probably stopped someone from getting any in their local store. So as much as she 'helped', she also stopped other people getting them. Also im sure more than 1 person does this so thats multiple items in multiple stores being reserved for this swapping tactic. People are free to do it, but expect to get criticised for doing so.

Doesn't matter. If they aren't collected they go back to stock. In a day or so.

If you check the stock the next day you'll see this stock..

Over Xmas stock disappeared and reappeared constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Doesn't matter. If they aren't collected they go back to stock. In a day or so.

If you check the stock the next day you'll see this stock..

Over Xmas stock disappeared and reappeared constantly.

I know this but of course it matters, not everyone can be online to reserve these things every day. If it says 'out of stock' you have to guess how many might be in reservation and how many have just been actually bought.

Lots of stuff goes out of stock that is never mentioned on boards at all.

Your never going to stop that.

You could stop people from spamming up the threads though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

db wrote: »

I hope when a bargain alert you want pops up, you go to argos and someone has reserved stock in your area where they have no intention of collecting....they ask for a code swap and they don't give it to you.

-It's a shítty thing to do. Any word from a mod on if it's going to be allowed happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

It's quite simple really, just ban users who look for a code outside of the designated thread. After a couple of dozen bans, the message will finally get through some people's (incredibly) thick skulls not to ask for codes despite the Mods posting warning in relevant threads.

Problem of the whole forum being wrecked by people blatantly abusing the reservation system solved.

Banning the trading of codes on Boards would knock that activity on the head fairly lively also...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

That seems very slow.

Are you copying between two equal drives both connected to usb 3 ports while the machine is doing nothing else?

If the USB port on the PC is 3.0 as well it'll be a lot faster than 5MB/s, or at least should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

What about people not on boards who would like to buy a good cheap hdd?! How is it fair that ye come along and reserve all these drives in stores that ye have no intention of using? It's bad form and should be banned along with the promoters of this ridiculous selfish act!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Patww79 wrote: »

I don't believe anyone was selling codes for this bargain, but there was someone selling codes before for another product - I think he was banned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Dard23 wrote: »
    What about people not on boards who would like to buy a good cheap hdd?! How is it fair that ye come along and reserve all these drives in stores that ye have no intention of using? It's bad form and should be banned along with the promoters of this ridiculous selfish act!

...Peasants?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

...Peasants?

People on here obviously seem to think so as the general public don't deserve any bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

If Argos were to charge a fee, say €5, and then deduct this from the price when you collect, I bet it would put a bit of an end to all this reserving stuff unless you genuinely were going to pick u the product. Would save a lot of messing about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Advertisement