Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Wing commander?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Definitely sounds more like Colony Wars. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Talisman

Telltale made a Batman game which was essentially a graphic novel where you got to make a few dialogue choices. All of the combat moves were choreographed so you get on screen instructions for the required button combination and then you observe the action. I imagine that the Expanse game will follow the same principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I know how Telltale games work, and that's the problem. It s all about making choices but the choices don't really matter because each episode has to start in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I can’t Google this as it will mean spoilers.

I’m a few episodes into season 5 - Naomi has been kidnapped by her son and the Meier has struck Earth.

Why did Naomi abandon Philip? I can remember her telling Holden that she split from Marco because she didn’t agree with his actions and (I think) she knew he would kill her.

And why did she only start searching for Philip at the end of season 4?

Also, where has Marco been prior to his appearance on the series? Philip looks to be at least 20. Has he been just wandering the Belt as a pirate?

• Advertisement

There are explanations coming up but if you can't wait here's answers to your specific question without spoiling anything else

Marko used Naomi to overload the drive of a civilian transport docked on the moon, one of the biggest acts of terrorism in recent memory at the time of the series and she realised what kind of person he was and he's a powerful Belter/OPA faction leader so there wasn't much she could do to go against him.

She didn't know where Filip was, she needed Fred Johnson's, or any other equally connected guy's, help to find him.

Filip is only a mid-teenager at this time, I think. Marko's name or the Inaros Faction do pop up now and again in the series before he shows up, you'll notice it on a rewatch. Yeah, piracy, getting contacts in the Martian Navy, and trying not to get caught in a gravity well due to the size of his ego is what he's been up to.

I thought it had talked about fully in previous seasons and that I had just forgot it but as they are going to get into it later then I can wait.

Thank you. ;)

Does Delgado ever get to finish that joke about the guys who go into a bar?

It has creeped into mind and I keep trying to think what the punchline could be :P

Post edited by Spon Farmer on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I also wanted that to be finished at the time 🙂

• Advertisement

I started re-watching Season 4. Maybe my favourite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The one set on the planet? That's interesting 'cos by and large I think it's a lot of people's least favourite season.

Yeah, I skipped that last rewatch. There's nothing wrong with it really but I prefer the space stuff

I dunno, I like the planet stuff. And it's very Amos heavy. Always good. Lots of Miller as well. It just brings it down to the basics about survival.

I finished season 5 earlier.

Alex’s death was a big surprise but the aftermath was very - the crew didn’t react like they had lost one of the family and just carried on.

I just googled it looking for why the death was so badly handled and saw that Cas Anvar was fired due to accusations made against him.

At what point in production were the accusations made? We’re just by coincidence working on the season finale or did they come to an agreement to keep working despite the fact he would be fired.

That seems odd. And why was no mourning for Alex?

As to the show itself, still tremendous as always.

I loved the space battle

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

From memory it basically occurred post filming and had to be edited in post production which is why it appears so abrupt (I think they re-did a bit of the end scene with Avasarala as well via edits/quick cuts as well), it does get a little more reflection later.

TBH, they handled it about as well as they could.

I don't think anything ever came of those accusations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC the season was finished when the accusations came in, with scenes edited and reshoots done to fashion together a vaguely coherent death for Alex without coming across completely hacked together.

And TBH, had the show gone on (sigh), nothing would have been lost in the long run from the character being written out. IMO Alex always had the weakest personal stories in the books and the 3 subsequent ones after book/season 6 never managed to do anything with him. Indeed, Draper basically stole his milk and became more prominent as Alex dropped off.

I remember the biggest groan I ever gave reading the books was when they cut away from an escalating chapter to give an update on how Alex's son was getting on. It was handled well in the show.

By “handled badly” I didn’t mean the reshoots, editing, etc.

I meant in the script. No one is seen mourning Alex barely talk about him.the went

• Advertisement

There doesn't seem to be any news articles about him since the accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's the point, there was no scripts, it was handled by last minute edits, cuts and a bit of voice over.

The story probably became "irrelevant" the moment the show got cancelled (spit). Were Cas Anvar more famous the incidents might have had more staying power within publications. It's not even clear what the outcome of the internal investigation was; though IIRC there were as many as 30 accusations against him? That's quite the volume of complaints.

I saw Dominque Tipper in a small role in a movie a few years back (The Girl with All the Gifts), ditto Frankie Adams but beyond that nobody on the Rocinante crew seems to have had much of an international acting career outside The Expanse. Thomas Jane and Shohreh Aghdashloo would pop up a fair bit of course, having solid character-actor careers previously.

It's just a bit weird that there was zero reporting after the initial run.

I've seen Amos in a few things over the years.

There should have a small re-write where the crew is shown to be upset.

So it cancelled with season 5 but given a short season 6 to being the suitors to close?

I know of only one other person besides myself who has even seen any Amazon series - and he doesn’t even have a subscription but watches it on a “dodgy box. If I mention any or the service itself most people haven’t heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hold my beer

From memory there is a scene where it's discussed and referenced. It was set up to have happened a bit in the past, and I thought they done a decent job all things considered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remember as well that season 5 was released in the midst of COVID and lockdowns (filming for that series wrapped in February 2020), so one would imagine they had a lot more limited scope for substantial reshoots than they might have had otherwise.

The execution was undeniably awkward and thrown together, but it was imperfect circumstances due to a mix of pandemic restrictions, the allegations emerging post filming etc...

• Advertisement

I have three episodes left to watch and I can’t see how they can properly wrap up the whole story along with the side story of the little girl on the alien world on the other side of the Rings.

I have a story question and a behind the scenes question.

If the answer to this has spoilers then please don’t answer.

Are the group on the alien planet a part of the faction of Martians that betrayed Mars and allied with Marco Anarus?

I was certain they are until the funeral wake when the admiral told the little girl that the family was supposed to be going to Paris with their research data - and I don’t see how that is possible if they are Martians.

I knew Strait has been an executive producer for a few seasons only in episode 6 of the final season did I notice Aghdashloo, Tipper and Chatham are producers.

As I understand it executive producers are at the top of the ladder with funding and a say in casting and creative decisions while producers oversee the day to day running of the project such as logistics, etc

Am I wrong about this? Producer seems like a full time job and as is the acting so I can’t see how they’d do both:

Advertisement