Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'd love top know how much Nicky is getting paid for this gig.
    It would make interesting reading in light of the prizes won tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I for one am regretting my comment for initially saying in late 2014 that this show is to be a permanent replacement for Winning Streak. Dear lord how wrong was I. This new show on it's 1st night was absolute ****e as a form of home entertainment for anybody to enjoy in the comfort of their own home.

I for one will change my position now and say that this will only strengthen the popularity of Winning Streak even further for a long time to come.

This new show was non-dramatic muck at it's worst. I also didn't like the audience members being left out from being seen on TV as it's the opposite of what every other Irish Saturday night lottery show is meant to be about and that is the inclusion of the contestant's friends and family and their banners.

All of those points also makes Winning Streak look good tbf. Credit is due to RTE for keeping it as a staple for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This format will die a slow painful death. This show is too bad to even gain a cult following of any sort. I wouldn't be surprised if viewing figures dropped below 10000 by next May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I for one am regretting my comment for initially saying in late 2014 that this show is to be a permanent replacement for Winning Streak. Dear lord how wrong was I. This new show on it's 1st night was absolute ****e as a form of home entertainment for anybody to enjoy in the comfort of their own home.

I for one will change my position now and say that this will only strengthen the popularity of Winning Streak even further for a long time to come.

This new show was non-dramatic muck at it's worst. I also didn't like the audience members being left out from being seen on TV as it's the opposite of what every other Irish Saturday night lottery show is meant to be about and that is the inclusion of the contestant's friends and family and their banners.

All of those points also makes Winning Streak look good tbf. Credit is due to RTE for keeping it as a staple for so long.

How do we know that RTÉ are not partly to blame or even 50:50 responsible for what was produced in association with The National Lottery. Remember, they got rid of Geri Maye very suddenly from Winning Streak and replaced her with Sinéad Kennedy and it was reported in the media after her departure that Geri was deeply upset at the time as ratings had apparently not suffered during her time on the show.

Last Summer June/July/August 2014 they chose not to broadcast any Lottery Show at weekends at all and Brian Ormonde did the weekly draw and it was uploaded on to YouTube instead of going out for broadcast on television! Nothing would surprise me where RTÉ/The National Lottery is concerned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I very rarely play the lotto or buy scratch cards, but now i will never, im not going to be supporting some fecking teachers retirement over in Ontario, support our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Worst episode ever. The mammy's are not happy .

*mammys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

nails1 wrote: »
    *mammys

*Mammies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Mammy's apron.

They're a nice bunch of mammies.
    (mammys)

Yeah even a show correcting grammar would have been mildly more interesting than this fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

liam7831 wrote: »
    Don't even know why he got the gig no tv experience, only experience he has iirc is shuffling to and fro behind shane filian

Actually, he does have some TV presenting experience - co-hosting The Hit with Aidan Power in the summer of 2013.

He didn't have to do much there, though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056964657

thelad95 wrote: »
    RTE have had crap gameshows on before and to be fair, they usually stick the knife in them pretty quickly. I can't see this lasting longer than a few months.

I remember the days when it was Winning Streak for most of the year and then Fame and Fortune during the summer months with Marty.

Fame & Fortune was replaced in 2007 with Laura Woods' The Trump Card - which was just as bad as this new show. ;)

RTE had the sense to stick the knife into it after a single series, and replace it with The Big Money Game, which succeeded in being better and went on to run for six summers.

inthehat wrote: »
    I can't understand why they scrapped rested Winning Streak, - ok, it needed a bit of updating and maybe new hosts (although I must say I loved Marty:o). But for heaven's sake - that was dreadful. I wouldn't take a present of a ticket for it, - not to talk of buying one.

FYP. :o:);)

Apparently, the National Lottery has been making significant losses in recent years and this was a major part of their attempts to arrest the slide in sales! The lottery has recently come under a whole new ownership and they want to stop the decline in sales by introducing new games/new prizes/new shows and higher ticket prices will be introduced too if not done so already.

I wouldn't say it's a whole new ownership - An Post retains a stake in Premier Lotteries Ireland. :o;)

How do we know that RTÉ are not partly to blame or even 50:50 responsible for what was produced in association with The National Lottery. Remember, they got rid of Geri Maye very suddenly from Winning Streak and replaced her with Sinéad Kennedy and it was reported in the media after her departure that Geri was deeply upset at the time as ratings had apparently not suffered during her time on the show.

It was far from the first time that they had played musical chairs with the hosts of the National Lottery shows, though. ;)

Last Summer June/July/August 2014 they chose not to broadcast any Lottery Show at weekends at all and Brian Ormonde did the weekly draw and it was uploaded on to YouTube instead of going out for broadcast on television! Nothing would surprise me where RTÉ/The National Lottery is concerned!

Back in 2011, I posted a thread asking if there was a need for a National Lottery show every Saturday night:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303190

When it was revealed that Money Spinner would only be shown on lottery.ie and YouTube, I said that it was good to see that the folks at Montrose and Abbey Street had realised to some extent that there wasn't a need. Although, of course, Money Spinner was still cráp. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Is Nicky Byrne bankrupt as well? Why is he doing this show? I would have thought he made enough money with Westlife for him to live comfortably or is he just doing it for the laugh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yeah some of the recent decisions by RTE/The National Lottery have been been pretty poor e.g Money Spinner disaster and Geri Maye being kicked out has also been controversial.

But the method of maintaining the format of a lot of previous mainstream lottery shows have largely been a positive experience for the Irish public. This show though is going to become the opposite of that for a long time because becoming a new format of a show is a difficult sell for most people who watch them regularly. In Ireland's case it is older people who are the majority audience here as they loved these types of shows for decades.

The Million Euro Challenge so far is set to become an instant failure in their opinion as it's more mundane for their own taste.

I wouldn't say it's a whole new ownership - An Post retains a stake in Premier Lotteries Ireland. :o;)

It was far from the first time that they had played musical chairs with the hosts of the National Lottery shows, though. ;)

Back in 2011, I posted a thread asking if there was a need for a National Lottery show every Saturday night:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056303190

When it was revealed that Money Spinner would only be shown on lottery.ie and YouTube, I said that it was good to see that the folks at Montrose and Abbey Street had realised to some extent that there wasn't a need. Although, of course, Money Spinner was still cráp. :D;)

Yeah, my choice of words was not entirely correct as I was already aware that An Post has some involvement again in the new set up although I got the impression that they are very much a minor player these days as Camelot and some Ontario teachers pension fund are also involved.

As for musical chairs, we had Mike Murphy, Derek Mooney, Aidan Power & Kathryn Thomas, Marty Whelan & Kathryn Thomas, Marty Whelan & Geri Maye, Marty Whelan & Sinéad Kennedy, Nicky Byrne..we also had stand-in presenters like John Creedon, Laura Power, Brian Ormonde, Nuala Carey and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I have a 5 year old who loves Winning Streak.

He is going to be pissed when he finds this muck waiting for him on the Sky+ box tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought this show was utter bollocks.

Yeah some of the recent decisions by RTE/The National Lottery have been been pretty poor e.g Money Spinner disaster and Geri Maye being kicked out has also been controversial.

But the method of maintaining the format of a lot of previous mainstream lottery shows have largely been a positive experience for the Irish public. This show though is going to become the opposite of that for a long time because becoming a new format of a show is a difficult sell for most people who watch them regularly. In Ireland's case it is older people who are the majority audience here as they loved these types of shows for decades.

The Million Euro Challenge so far is set to become an instant failure in their opinion as it's more mundane for their own taste.

If I was asked to submit ideas for a replacement show down the road, (I am just a bog standard viewer here giving my view) I would involve the live studio audience more, I would also incorporate: Saturday Night Live Weekend Lotto Draws from a nearby studio as it makes no sense having separate broadcasts on RTÉ on the same night! I know they used previously record Winning Streak earlier in the evening before it's broadcasting time on TV but this arrangement should have changed. More variety in the games and less of the repetitive scanning and codes all night!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

This has to be the worst of the worst game show ever to appear on any tv channel. It was like watching Podge & Rodge in the supermarket with their parents. That up/down game was so embarrassing, it made me cringe. Please RTE pull the plug on it asap to save us all further embarrassment

maudgone wrote: »
    This has to be the worst of the worst game show ever to appear on any tv channel. It was like watching Podge & Rodge in the supermarket with their parents. That up/down game was so embarrassing, it made me cringe. Please RTE pull the plug on it asap to save us all further embarrassment

I think the overall reaction to it has been extremely negative and this is probably only one of multiple forums to indicate that TV viewers are not at all satisfied with the format of the new show. I wonder how long RTÉ/The National Lottery will allow this format to run as this is very unlikely to arrest the continuous fall in lottery sales. In fact, this was meant to improve sentiment and it looks like it is about to actually make matters much much worse!

One wonders if they properly tested audience reaction of the whole new show formats and proposed new games/ticket pricing among the appropriate demographics/ticket buying public who have traditionally supported the National Lottery and Winning Streak down through the years? Having seen much of the new show and been disappointed was one thing but then later to read the overwhelming stream of negative views from many other viewers in this thread, it now looks very embarrassing for both RTÉ and The National Lottery and I'm sure Nicky Byrne must not be thrilled to be associated with such a negative viewer reaction either.

They cannot let this limp on for a very long period - Winning Streak was due back in the Summer but maybe it could be back sooner than we think...my hunch is that if the new show does not do the business - it may even be pulled by Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

We have gone backwards in technology on this game, blank cd disc holders, pushing out drawers to revel numbers, walking back and forth to the board, it's a shambles when you consider the razzmatazz and Martys infectious laughter in the previous game, by the time we reached the end you would have won the same amount of money in the first ten minutes with Marty, there is more life at a wake even the audience if there was one must have been asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Storm 10 wrote: »
    We have gone backwards in technology on this game, blank cd disc holders, pushing out drawers to revel numbers, walking back and forth to the board, it's a shambles when you consider the razzmatazz and Martys infectious laughter in the previous game, by the time we reached the end you would have won the same amount of money in the first ten minutes with Marty, there is more life at a wake even the audience if there was one must have been asleep

I couldn't believe the blank cd holders, they didn't even try and dress them up and disguise them.

The show was so slow paced I'm surprised the contestants weren't asleep. It looks like they've suddenly realised on Friday evening there's a gap in schedule and rushed around poundland with the petty cash to get props as the budget for putting on the show is €200 and 2/3 of that went on Nicky Byrne's suit.

"Look, look, look, LOOK, LOOK! Here's Nicky on the Million Euro Challenge set! Isn't he handsome? Isn't this show going to be a great success?"

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0109/671488-million-euro-challenge/

taller-el-milagro-de-cobrar-online-con-madrid-emprende-13-638.jpg?cb=1402327430

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

piperh wrote: »
    I couldn't believe the blank cd holders, they didn't even try and dress them up and disguise them.

From unsold Westlife CDs that Nicky had at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they'd want him. He's too prissy for most chicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I'm sure Republic of Telly will rip the piss out off it soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

"Look, look, look, LOOK, LOOK! Here's Nicky on the Million Euro Challenge set! Isn't he handsome? Isn't this show going to be a great success?"

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0109/671488-million-euro-challenge/

From that link "RTÉ new big money gameshow"

From what I saw the contestants won a pittance compared to Wining Streak. If this was designed to increase sales then they need new people with a clue running the Lottery.

Can't resist posting a few tweets from last night... :o:o:o:o:D;)

Maybe if I take acid I may understand the rules here #millioneurochallenge #allisforgivenwinningstreak

Nicky Byrne making up a game show that also recycles old Westlife CD cases. Genius. #millioneurochallenge

First prize = €1 million. Second prize = 50 CDs (cases sold separately) #millioneurochallenge

The Million Euro Challenge on RTE. You've a better chance of seeing Elvis play live in Croke Park for 5 nights

@rte Come back Marty, all is forgiven, Million Euro Challenge is Challening Millions to not fall asleep

The Million Euro Challenge........it's a challenge alright, a challenge to watch it! #BringBackGeriMaye :)

Poor Nicky, reminds me of Joey in Friends trying to figure out the ridiculous game show rules. #millioneurochallenge

Jasus this Million Euro Challenge show would put a teething one year old to sleep. #boringcentral

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those picked out of the hat to be a part of this awfulness next week. #millioneurochallenge

The Godfather 2 is on #RTE2 now, keep watching the Million Euro Challenge if you want.

Graphics look like they were put together in paint... There are other fonts available other than Times New Roman! #millioneurochallenge

They're using canned audience participation cos they're all fast asleep in their chairs #millioneurochallenge

#millioneurochallenge 4 audience members died of boredom during the filming of this show.

I reckon you'd be quicker getting into hospital waiting on a trolley than getting money on #millioneurochallenge #RTE

Why can't they just spin the feckin wheel #millioneurochallenge

I'm dead from boredom #millioneurochallenge @NickyByrne give us a song or save a goal #dosomething please

So they gave out €64,000 in total? Bit short of a million there. Winning Streak on a bad week was significantly higher #millioneurochallenge

And after that torture they win €15,000 and €16,000. They'll get more if they sue for compensation. #millioneurochallenge

#millioneurochallenge trending an hour after it was on everyone has just woke up from it

#Lucinda on the #Saturdaynightshow. If one of her policies is to get rid of #RTE's #millioneurochallenge, she'll win a huge amount of votes.

#newsflash A leak from an upcoming Enda Kenny speech "If you don't pay your #watercharges, RTE will keep showing #millioneurochallenge."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yet again the bitching about it thread on Boards backed up by Twitter provides x100 times more entertainment than RTEs latest pish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Wicklowrunner

Complete Joke. Reduced players by 40%. Average weekly payout reduced by 50%. Piped in Audience Applause. Sales will plummit. Good Causes will lose out. Canadian Owners make huge profit. We Done Dermot!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just heard the mother say everyone was talking about how bad it was after mass this morning.
    Most she said would not watch it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I miss Marty

Who doesn't, eh? ;)

Advertisement