Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

jonnygiles wrote: »
    I bet someone is pushing out the drawers from behind

probably ray darcy.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

The worst show I have ever seen on TV! I'm actually never buying one of those scratchcards again! The winnings on it were very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well done to ye all for sticking it out, I had to take a breather half way through

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Jaysus!, that was hard work, friggin hell! i aged watchin dat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I turned this on for a few minutes. There were two old biddies playing guess the number with as much enthusiasm as filling out a tax form. When they got the numbers right, Nicky then revealed four pieces of black paper with numbers on them in empty CD cases. There was a minor cheer as the biddies found out they won.. €5000.

It's all just guess work. Ok, Winning Streak was as well but at least there was a bit of purpose to that. This honestly has the production values of a home video.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the rules either. It's just depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

liam7831 wrote: »
    Marty must have taken the letter opening knife with him.........

Think it is still stuck in his back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Need a good stiff drink after that and a Toblerone

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Is it over yet, my son changed the channel, couldn't stick it

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

I have recorded it so i can watch it the next time i am having
    trouble sleeping. The most boring show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

33K :eek: thats some step down from the winning days

Or 16.5K each

That hardly covered the lighting bill for the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

jonnygiles wrote: »
    I bet someone is pushing out the drawers from behind

There was, you could see the shadow on the floor of their legs moving around.

Absolutely terrible tv, crap winnings. With all the stick Marty used to get it was a way better show and bigger winnings.

RTE have had crap gameshows on before and to be fair, they usually stick the knife in them pretty quickly. I can't see this lasting longer than a few months.

I remember the days when it was Winning Streak for most of the year and then Fame and Fortune during the summer months with Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Note

Threads merged, may move this over to the 'Gameshows & Quizzes Forum' when the show is more established.

elaney wrote: »
    I have recorded it so i can watch it the next time i am having
    trouble sleeping. The most boring show ever.

I did the same...lol..:D

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Mod Note

Threads merged, may move this over to the 'Gameshows & Quizzes Forum' when the show is more established.

Good luck with that, will the show continue??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Closest to the wall coin toss would have been more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Love how Nicky's suit was same colour as the entire set background, blended in perfect resulting in a floating head presenter, big shout out to the personal stylist.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Rubbish

I can't wait for next week ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

I can't wait for next week ....

It's on +1 now if you want to relive it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

It takes something special for me to rant in this forum but that was all kinds of rubbish. My mam is visiting so it was on for the entirety.

I can assure people that she absolutely loves this type of Saturday night crap but she started doing a crossword in the middle of it; ultimate 2 fingers-up from her.

It was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,663 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Worst episode ever. The mammy's are not happy .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pawdy72

awful game show awful host,terrible low amounts of money won wont be watching that trash again and this is what we pay or TV licence on..........utter grrbage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pawdy72

awful game show awful host,terrible low amounts of money won wont be watching that trash again and this is what we pay or TV licence on..........utter garbage

I can't understand why they scrapped Winning Streak, - ok, it needed a bit of updating and maybe new hosts (although I must say I loved Marty:o). But for heaven's sake - that was dreadful. I wouldn't take a present of a ticket for it, - not to talk of buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

National Lottery cut back exercise without a shadow of a doubt. The last time ill buy a ticket. Bring 3 people in for 10k send 2 home with nothing. 3 contestants in and send them home with f - all. Pure joke. Well we sold the lotto as part of the IMF bailout this is what we get ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Pawdy72 wrote: »
    awful game show awful host,terrible low amounts of money won wont be watching that trash again and this is what we pay or TV licence on..........utter garbage

Well I was half-watching the programme whilst working on the laptop and it was so drawn out and very repetitive. Yeah the National Lottery/RTÉ show has badly needed a radical change as it was jaded tired even though it still had a loyal following.

However; I totally understand the more modern look and even a younger host (no offence to Marty Whelan as he was always excellent) but from a TV viewer's point of view, this was mundane and I cannot see this format surviving - it already needs more variety rather than witnessing so many repetitive actions including all the scanning by the host. We may as well be stuck at a Supermarket Check-Out waiting for each of the shopping item barcodes to be scanned! Who signed off on this as suitable Saturday night prime-time entertainment from our national broadcaster.

Thumbs down for overall entertainment value
    Thumbs down for so much repetition throughout the whole show
    Thumbs down for a very mundane format
    Thumbs down for it's very low (almost mean) prize offerings
    Starprize winning duo went away with Total 33K approx -to be divided by 2
    Other contestants went away with far less if I recall
    Total Amount given away overall tonight announcement seems to have been discontinued with the launch of this new show. Reason - it will be much much lower from now on I suspect!

Why are the prizes so mean though? Wasn't there a minimum prize of €20000 on Winning Streak at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I don't watch Winning Streak much but the odd time I've tuned in at the end to see the Spin the wheel and the happy peoples with a nice, relaxed way of winning a wad of cash.

But I tuned in tonight to see if they have updated the format only to find out they went back a couple of decades with a boring show, low winnings and computer generated chance (which imo is always a bit scammy) and overall not an enjoyable viewer experience.

Though I'm not surprised judging by the cheap paper on the lotto tickets, the lower odds on the even cheaper looking scratchers and the idiots who sold off our cash cow in the first place.

I have heard people who used to do the lotto religiously saying they won't do it anymore or will only purchase a qp on big draws. This changeover from our national lottery to well...someone elses...has not gone smoothly this dire excuse for a show only compounds that.

Brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

thelad95 wrote: »
    Why are the prizes so mean though? Wasn't there a minimum prize of €20000 on Winning Streak at one stage?

Apparently, the National Lottery has been making significant losses in recent years and this was a major part of their attempts to arrest the slide in sales! The lottery has recently come under a whole new ownership and they want to stop the decline in sales by introducing new games/new prizes/new shows and higher ticket prices will be introduced too if not done so already.

They will probably endure more painful losses if they seriously think that this attempt is going to arrest their losses as it most unlikely to succeed. It is dire altogether and comes across as very mean and boring to view!

Advertisement