Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hit (RTE)

Options
  • 05-06-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/nicky-proves-hes-a-big-hit-at-rte-with-summer-tv-presenting-gig-29277503.html

Nicky Byrne is to be one of the two hosts of RTE summer music show The Hit.
    Already used to playing in vast arenas, the 34-year-old will join co-presenter Aidan Power live on-stage at the O2 in July when established names perform the songs of unknown songwriters.

Running in the Friday night slot of the Late Late Show, The Hit will be one of the biggest talent shows ever aired by RTE.
    Insiders have revealed they needed a presenter used to appearing on big stages to anchor performances during the six-week run at the O2.
    "Not only has Nicky performed with Westlife at the O2, but he has also co-hosted the Cheerio's Childline Concert a number of times in the same venue for organiser Caroline Downey Desmond.
    "Except this time Nicky will be co-hosting a television show," said a show insider.
    The Nicky Byrne/Aidan Power team replaces MTV's Laura Whitmore, who presented the original pilot of The Hit, which aired last year as part of RTE's Format Farm.
    Producer Philip Kampf said: "It's going to be much bigger and better than the pilot and for that reason we need two presenters, not one."
    Beginning on Friday July 26, each week two well-known singers will cherry-pick songs from unknown songwriters, who will only discover if their song has been selected when the acts take to the stage.
    At the end of the competition, two songs will go head to head and be available to download on iTunes, with the winner being whoever gets the most downloads.
    Ratings for rival RTE talent show The Voice Of Ireland had been strong, but winner Keith Hanley only managed to reach no 37 in the Irish charts.
    But The Hit insiders are more optimistic.
    Sidelines, the winning track performed by Royseven from their show pilot last year, topped the Irish iTunes chart, with runner-up Invisible by Brian McFadden reaching number 3, with demand crashing Irish iTunes after the final last September.
    U2 producer Steve Lillywhite will again assist in the selection of songs, which songwriters can submit through applications available on the RTE and IMRO website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

If that Herald report is true, then why on earth does Laura appear in RTE's summer trailers?!? :eek: :confused:

I personally thought the pilot worked pretty well with her as the only presenter, even if she wasn't given the greatest script to work with.

If The Hit really does need two presenters, then I can't see any reason why she shouldn't be one of them...

I also don't see why it should go in the LLS slot, either. True, the pilot also went out at 9:30 - but I honestly think Sunday at 6:30 on RTE1, or a weeknight at 7:00 on RTE2, are better slots. After all, the Voice of Ireland aired in the former slot and was repeated in the latter...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Good to see this back for a series
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Producer Philip Kampf

Wow, that is an unfortunate surname.

You know, what with the whole 'Mein Kampf' thing ...

http://www.theo2.ie/event/the-hit/

RTE have hired the O2 for the weekly shows, that is ambitious, The Voice of Ireland was filmed in the (much smaller) Helix. Tickets for each night are €5 + whatever Ticketmaster want to mug you for. Tickets will be available for July 26th and the following four Fridays.
    Shot in front of a live audience, the artists then reveal which song they have chosen. But ultimately it’s the audience and viewers who decide; when - at the end of each show - the two songs are immediately released for download. The artist and songwriter whose song charted the highest across the following week will then go forward to the grand finale show in August.

For the grand finale of the series the five artists will return to perform their song live in The O2 with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra. But which artist will have the ultimate Hit? Only the viewers can decide!

Tickets for the new series go on sale on Saturday 22nd June at 9am from Ticketmaster and usual outlets.

For the record, the pilot was filmed at the Olympia Theatre.

That O2 release also says that Nicky and Aidan will host - so I guess the Herald was right...

...and RTE's summer trailers are wrong. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it had already been decided by RTE and Vision Independent Productions when these trailers were made that The Hit would have two presenters, and Laura wouldn't be one of them... including her in the trailers anyway, ladies and gentlemen, there's only one word for that: idiocy.

486226_10151178886483697_1149097087_n.jpg

And even if they hadn't yet decided, there was still no real reason to include Laura in the trailers.

Surely a presenter should be included in a trailer for an upcoming show only if it's decided that he/she will present that show?

If, say, there was a trailer for a show featuring Jimmy Carr as host, then it would make no sense if it turned out that the show was going to be hosted by David Mitchell instead - whether the show's producers had already decided so, or were humming and hawing, when the trailer was made...

Rant over. :o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it Royseven and Brian McFadden again who picks the song and records it?

• Advertisement

Here we go, details of the format and contestants have been revealed

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0712/462037-final-line-up-of-artists-for-the-hit-announced/
    The final line-up of artists taking part in RTÉ One's The Hit has been announced and includes Johnny Logan, Finbar Furey and Mundy.

The series begins on Friday, July 26 on RTÉ One and will see songwriters showcasing their songs to established artists. The artists will then battle one another to find the perfect song they can turn in a hit.

The artists will battle it out as follows:

Episode one, 26 July: The Stunning and Julie Feeney
    Episode two, 2 August: Brian Kennedy and Ryan O'Shaughnessy
    Episode three, 9 August: Johnny Logan and Duke Special
    Episode four, 16 August: Samantha Mumba and Republic of Loose
    Episode five, 23 August: Mundy and Finbar Furey

For the grand finale of the series the five successful artists will return to perform their song live in the O2 with the RTÉ Concert Orchestra with the viewers deciding who has the ultimate hit.

Sounds like good fun, I like the idea of Ryan O'Shaughnessy going up against Brian Kennedy (who was his mentor on The Voice, and chose to eliminate him :))

It is a good line up, with some unexpected contestants. I'll be watching.

Is it Royseven and Brian McFadden again who picks the song and records it?

No. :D:)

Skid X wrote: »
    Here we go, details of the format and contestants have been revealed

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/0712/462037-final-line-up-of-artists-for-the-hit-announced/

Obviously, whoever thought those bow ties would look good on Nicky and Aidan had no time for fashion school... :rolleyes:

I also notice that Domino's will be sponsoring the show. How will their bumpers compare to Volkswagen's Voice of Ireland ones, I wonder...? :D

Samantha Mumba :eek: thought she gave up singing

I also notice that Domino's will be sponsoring the show. How will their bumpers compare to Volkswagen's Voice of Ireland ones, I wonder...? :D

I'm sure Dominos are auditioning for a new Barber Shop Quartet at this very moment :D Or maybe not

Samantha Mumba :eek: thought she gave up singing

She's back! From last month
    Former pop princess Samantha Mumba is back in the recording studio for the first time in more than a decade.

The Dublin beauty, who has not released an album since 2000, has not said if she’s planning to launch a new record.

However, Mumba posted photos of herself in the studio online.

http://www.thestar.ie/star/samantha-mumba-returns-to-the-studio-after-a-decade/

Maybe Samantha Mumba's big comeback starts here! You never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I haven't seen the pilot of this but; I think that RTE could be wasteful in showing this in the O2.

What is going to be the maximum target of seats for airing this show? Every seat in the house is it? I would seriously doubt it.

RTE's finances would be destroyed for going ahead with a 'vanity project' like this.

I think a price of €5 a ticket is too cheap if they are going to pay huge money to hire it for a few weeks. The Olympia Theatre is a better venue for showing it in my view as it is smaller and more compact.

I will be watching it; but; it sounds like another flop if you ask me.

• Advertisement

I haven't seen the pilot of this but; I think that RTE could be wasteful in showing this in the O2.

What is going to be the maximum target of seats for airing this show? Every seat in the house is it? I would seriously doubt it.

RTE's finances would be destroyed for going ahead with a 'vanity project' like this.

I think a price of €5 a ticket is too cheap if they are going to pay huge money to hire it for a few weeks. The Olympia Theatre is a better venue for showing it in my view as it is smaller and more compact.

I will be watching it; but; it sounds like another flop if you ask me.

The O2 does seem over-ambitious for the show but maybe RTE got a good deal for the show from the owners (or maybe no other venue was available for 5 Fridays in a row). Hopefully the crowds will come, but it is very short notice
    and with respect to the performers, none of them would attract huge crowds in their own right. Maybe RTE should just give tickets away.

I think this format could work very well, I am pleased to see RTE taking a chance. Maybe the format could be used to find a Eurovision song in the future.

I like the film RTE have chosen to show after the first episode of The Hit, very appropriate!

RTE1 Friday 9.35

The Hit
    Season 1 Episode 1 of 6
    New series. Nicky Byrne and Aidan Power host the music competition in which fledgling songwriters pitch their songs to established artists in the hope of achieving chart success. In the first episode, six ambitious contenders hope to win over The Stunning and Julie Feeney with their compositions before the artists battle it out to decide which of the chosen songs can be made into a hit

RTE1 Friday 10.35

Film Music and Lyrics (2007)
    A washed-up pop idol is given the chance to write a song for a teenage star - but despite his musical talents, he has never written a lyric in his life. However, the discovery that the woman who looks after his plants has a way with words marks the start of a beautiful relationship. Romantic comedy, starring Hugh Grant, Drew Barrymore, Brad Garret and Kristen Johnston.

Read more at http://www.tvnow.ie/detail.asp?id=4112834#hucuLC9ToT7P0DbK.99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Music And Lyrics on RTE 1 again? Ah for goodness sake!

I sorry to say this Skid but the amount of countless times that movie has been on that channel just makes my head spin.

That movie was only on about six months ago or less; and it's on yet again. How amazing is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bandy Boots

The O2 sounds way too big for a tv show audience! Maby its for the venue floor space they need it.... i remember the big portacabins in the pilot... must be to fit them again.
    I'm going to go to support it (and for the craic ;p) and I lourve steve wall ;)

Music And Lyrics on RTE 1 again? Ah for goodness sake!

I sorry to say this Skid but the amount of countless times that movie has been on that channel just makes my head spin.

That movie was only on about six months ago or less; and it's on yet again. How amazing is that?

Ah sure, it's a classic - It deserves a few showings every :year :p

It is still better than the usual Nicholas Cage rubbish they give us most Friday nights.

Skid X wrote: »
    Ah sure, it's a classic - It deserves a few showings every :year :p

It is still better than the usual Nicholas Cage rubbish they give us most Friday nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

How many tv talent shows has that kid who was in Fair City been on now?

Temaz wrote: »
    How many tv talent shows has that kid who was in Fair City been on now?

2 but here he is one of the "established artists or well known singers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

:eek:
    2 but here he is one of the "established artists or well known singers"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

WTF is all this about? :confused:

I'm surprised that Julie Feeney would get involved with this muck.

• Advertisement

The walking in and out of 'rooms' is very silly, it makes the performers look very uncomfortable.

It could be done with more decorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I think Julie should pick Niamh Murphy, I like Alice's song too.

Aidan and Nicky look like a dodgy 70s cabaret act, did they get dressed in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm beginning to miss Celebrity Farm/Hotel at this rate.

I'm beginning to miss Celebrity Farm/Hotel Fáilte Towers at this rate.

F.Y.P

I liked Niamh Murphy's song, it's a shame she's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

The programme is profoundly grim....

I found it very hard to critique any of the songs based on short bursts, I'd like to hear them in full.

Alice's song sounds very country-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

A load of tripe.Goonies on Gold:)

• Advertisement

It looks like there were a few tickets still available at the O2 tonight.

The Stunning song is alright, but a little bit limp.

Advertisement