Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I don't watch winning streak but, saw an ad for this and put it on to see what it would like and could not watch it. Turned over to the lottery program on BBC one which is a quiz and is very good. Why can't RTE makes a program like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I don't watch winning streak but, saw an ad for this and put it on to see what it would like and could not watch it. Turned over to the lottery program on BBC one which is a quiz and is very good. Why can't RTE makes a program like it

Something to do with the laws in Ireland with the Lottery where you are only aloud to use the lotto money on games of chance and quizs don't count as games of chance so where stuck with Million Euro Challenge style games on to the Law is changed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Terrible show, whoever keeps giving Nicky Byrne these types of jobs needs to be kicked into touch.

Marty & Sinead on Winning Streak are light years ahead of this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

Is Winning streak gone for good? Will we never see Marty Whelan's golden locks flowing on our screens again?

My mother was like"how did that eejit get his own show" absolute rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

baldbear wrote: »
    Is Winning streak gone for good? Will we never see Marty Whelan's golden locks flowing on our screens again?

No, it's definitely not gone for good. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

baldbear wrote: »

Winning Streak is meant to return as a Summertime lottery game show however; one wonders how they managed to get the new format hosted by Nicky Byrne so spectacularly wrong! Surely RTÉ/The National Lottery invited studio audience samples to test the reaction of the proposed new formats? If not, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is Nicky Byrne bankrupt as well? Why is he doing this show? I would have thought he made enough money with Westlife for him to live comfortably or is he just doing it for the laugh?

I was wondering that myself.
    He has some neck ,and it seems RTE are making him a key player.
    As usual with RTE its jobs for the boys .

Winning Streak was bad but this new show makes it look like the best show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think RTÉ and the National Lottery need to realise that there's only so many formats that can be made based solely on luck until ideas run out and you're left with muck like this. Opening up empty CD cases and wooden drawers to win a couple of thousand euro.

Is there any reason why they can't have some sort of show based around a quiz format mixed with luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,669 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is there any reason why they can't have some sort of show based around a quiz format mixed with luck?

Was thinking the same thing myself...do the same thing as the BBC and have a 'Who Dares Wins' or 'In It To Win It'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

thelad95 wrote: »

Tipping Point is a near-perfect example of a show that combines a quiz element with luck.

I dread to think what an Irish version would be like, though... :o;)

Was thinking the same thing myself...do the same thing as the BBC and have a 'Who Dares Wins' or 'In It To Win It'.

Putin reforming the Soviet Union is probably five times more likely than the folks at Montrose getting in touch with Endemol or ITV-owned 12 Yard Productions. :o:o:o:o

(Yes, they did call up Talpa in order to bring The Voice to these shores - but they were more than happy to do that, because of course singing shows are much more up their street than proper quizzes. :rolleyes: ;))

• Advertisement

Tipping Point is a near-perfect example of a show that combines a quiz element with luck.

I dread to think what an Irish version would be like, though... :o;)

Putin reforming the Soviet Union is probably five times more likely than the folks at Montrose getting in touch with Endemol or ITV-owned 12 Yard Productions. :o:o:o:o

(Yes, they did call up Talpa in order to bring The Voice to these shores - but they were more than happy to do that, because of course singing shows are much more up their street than proper quizzes. :rolleyes: ;))

I am not sure if any of you guys are in a similar age bracket as myself (i.e.) 43+yrs - when I was young I can just about recall some vintage RTÉ quiz/gameshows: Anyone else out there able to recall: Country Quiz, Quicksilver (Stop the Lights!) with Bunny Carr and the old man on the organ about to keel over :), Rapid Roulette with Laurie Taylor and then MAXI (How do U feel was the question she often asked when a loosing contestant was about to head home with absolutely Zilch!!) Know Your Sport with George Hamilton and Memory Man - Jimmy Magee. Where in the World originally hosted by Marty Whelan who had to surrender all his RTÉ TV work (incl this gig to Theresa Lowe) when he jumped ship to Century Radio in 1989! Jackpot, Dodge the Question with the Late Jonathan Philbin Bowman, Who wants to be a Millionaire (RTÉ Irish version) with Gay Byrne, The Weakest Link (TV3 Irish version) with Eamonn Dunphy.

Looking back I think Winning Streak's best days were under it's first presenter, Mike Murphy. Derek Mooney did not do too bad but the show needed a major overhaul by the time Derek finished. However; RTÉ/The National Lottery should have sought whatever legislative changes were deemed necessary to enable them sufficient room for manoeuvre when it came to refreshing the whole show - What we got last Saturday from RTÉ/The National Lottery with Nicky Byrne's Euro Million Challenge is unlikely to dramatically change from one week to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Wheelsonthebus

They should sell this to the Nursing Homes

What- to give people the final push?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the irish lottery are not allowded to have games with any skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

irishgeo wrote: »

They have succeeded then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

irishgeo wrote: »

Skill............ No
    CD cases and racks from a pound shop.......... Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

mikom wrote: »
    Skill............ No
    CD cases and racks from a pound shop.......... Yes

Quizzes are not allowed, only games of chance.
    I might ring them up and pitch an idea.

Did Anne Doyle's quiz go to series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It SHED a load of viewers after the first airing.

mikom wrote: »
    It SHED a load of viewers after the first airing.

Didn't they repeat it and no one watched. So they showed Shakedown the Town which should be called Shake the Town Down.

There was a whole load of pre-publicity in advance of the show going out on RTÉ One TV and the angle stated back then was that this was just a pilot airing of a quiz show idea. If it scored high in the ratings, it was suggested that it may well return as part of a new series at some point in the future. I saw the show at the time and it was alright - I've seen worse quiz shows but to be fair, I've also seen better ones.

I believe the main reason RTÉ decided not to continue with the Irish version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? hosted by Gay Byrne in the early 2000s was mainly to do with the high costs of storing the studio sets for the show - they were not prepared to fork out for these high costs was apparently the stumbling block as I understand that the ratings were not the problem with the show here.

Back to Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge - I wonder how serious RTÉ/The National Lottery are taking the high levels of negative reaction voiced on the changes! Can they really afford to keep the unpopular format running until next Summer or will they opt for tweaking it asap before they lose any more punters? Time will tell I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Whether they tweak it or not will be driven to some degree by sales, or possibly the lack of them.

With the number of contestants down to three and the possibility of coming home with a decent sum of cash, plus maybe a car and/or a holiday seemingly a lot less, I'd be surprised if sales of this ticket were higher than the old Winning Streak ones.

Whether they tweak it or not will be driven to some degree by sales, or possibly the lack of them.

With the number of contestants down to three and the possibility of coming home with a decent sum of cash, plus maybe a car and/or a holiday seemingly a lot less, I'd be surprised if sales of this ticket were higher than the old Winning Streak ones.

I would have to agree with you on this one.

I cannot see what tweaking could possibly make the formula work based on what I saw last Saturday night. However; if I was given the job to save a show from disaster (I am just a humble viewer here btw) I would suggest the below observations/suggestions to improve?

Prize Money for each set of contestants should reflect today's expectation
    Star Prize Winner's Money improved as 33K is mean for full night's winnings
    More Live Audience interaction
    Home Viewers competition
    Introduce interval -Go live to Weekend Lotto Studio Stage B for Lotto Draw
    Much more variety to types of games in TV show
    Less of repetitive bar code scanning - we are not in supermarket checkout!

I had to laugh when I saw RTÉ One promoting last week's first edition of this show with the contestants who took part last Saturday night. While I appreciate they are stuck with it for now, I wonder how long will they leave it run before facing up to the obvious next move which is to return to the same essential ingredients that made Winning Streak formula so successful over many years.

While they are reviewing it, they could also come up with a much better variety of games without the silly repetition and constant bar code scanning! I accept Winning Streak needed a major overhaul but what we got last Saturday was a very mundane mean-spirited looking show for both participants and TV viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Anyone hear of any TAM rating for this show last Saturday? I vaguely remember the RTE Guide used to feature some ratings years ago.

I'd imagine what ever they were there will be a massive drop in viewership this weekend for RTE's Saturday night lottery show. Apart from die-hard Westlifers and family/friends of the contestant not sure anyone could enjoy this show. And to be honest by the looks of the prize money, or lack of, even family members may not enjoy watching it... Still can't believe 2 people go away with nothing, not even a glass ornament to remind them of their wasted trip to Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

They get 2,000 each.

Neeson wrote: »
    They get 2,000 each.

Somehow I missed that...

Suppose that covers the new outfit for the show, hair, travel & accommodation expenses and a night out to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Halpenny wrote: »
    Somehow I missed that...

Suppose that covers the new outfit for the show, hair, travel & accommodation expenses and a night out to celebrate.

Maybe if they were travelling from New Zealand and staying in the Shelbourne? 2k isn't a bad nights work when you just have to sit there and play guess the code and left or right or whatever the other game was called.

I do agree though that compared to Winning Streak, the winnings are pathetic.

Halpenny wrote: »
    Somehow I missed that...

Well if they are seriously trying to address the losses incurred at The National Lottery because most punters simply do NOT have funds available to fork out for what is now essentially "a luxury" for most families, then they probably need to think again!

Yes they cannot UP the prize money in the current climate for obvious reasons but to:
    • Drop the number of contestants eligible to PLAY on the show from 5 down to 3
    • Dramatically reduce minimum runners-up prize money (Now 2 players share it) It went from Minimum of €20,000 down to €2,000 to be shared by two = €1,000 per person
    • Ticket prices are not cheap - If they have not already increased, I believe it is due to occur very shortly
    I do not think you will address falling sales by the above measures - if anything I reckon the losses will probably multiply at an even faster rate as there is now a much much lower incentive of attractive winnings even if you make it on to the TV game show! Ratings are likely to plummet and ticket sales will fall further as the hard-pressed punter will never accept this format or mean-spirited incentive.

What will be interesting is that when Winning Streak returns next Summer RTÉ/The National Lottery will probably proceed with ONE presenter and also try and have less players with lower prize winnings on offer for the Runners-Up as they are unlikely to be as generous as they were when Winning Streak was last played based on the current scenario!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Lots of people on radio kerry yesterday talking about this, lots of older people said they will never buy a ticket again.
    Its funny how it was never on liveline during the week:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lots of older people said they will never buy a ticket again.
    when Winning Streak returns next Summer RTÉ/The National Lottery will probably proceed with ONE presenter and also try and have less players with lower prize winnings on offer for the Runners-Up as they are unlikely to be as generous as they were when Winning Streak was last played based on the current scenario!

This could back fire on them rightly!! They'll end up with even lower revenue from an already low ticket sales and they'll have to reformat the next series of Winning Streak to the extent where the only use of the word million will be in the context of contestants having a one-in-a-million chance of winning anything.

Think they should put a RED WARNING out for this Million Euro Challenge show ;)

Advertisement