Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicky Byrne's Million Euro Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Lots of people on radio kerry yesterday talking about this, lots of older people said they will never buy a ticket again.
    Its funny how it was never on liveline during the week:rolleyes:

I suppose LiveLine could NOT really just jump in there with this particular topic on the air too fast given that RTÉ itself is probably stuck in the middle between TV Viewers/The National Lottery. That said, I do not know how long they can adopt this particular line if they keep getting complaints as they also have to act in the public interest - They may eventually have to find a way to discuss the topic but even if and when the topic is covered by RTÉ, you can be sure it will be very strictly controlled to protect their own interests. If RTÉ upsets The National Lottery too much, they may claim breach of agreement and award a future Weekend TV Show contract to one of RTÉ's competitors instead: TV3, TG4, UTV Ireland!

I wonder if Niall Boylan's lunchtime or evening talk radio show on Classic Hits 4FM have aired this very topic yet this week as they would love a dig at RTÉ and LiveLine/Joe Duffy? Anyone know if they have done it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

With lots of people saying they wouldn't buy tickets, maybe now is the time to buy them!

With lots of people saying they wouldn't buy tickets, maybe now is the time to buy them!

Yes and No!
    If you are a runner-up, the max of only 2k and the publicity on national TV (albeit in smaller numbers) with so called "new friends" coming out of the woodwork because they hear you were on a Lottery TV Show unaware that you only came home with the change of 2K after expenses! It's probably not worth all the hassle unlike winning the same amount at a local event that is more low key.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

If you are a runner-up, the max of only 2k and the publicity on national TV (albeit in smaller numbers) with so called "new friends" coming out of the woodwork because they hear you were on a Lottery TV Show unaware that you only came home with the change of 2K after expenses! It's probably not worth all the hassle unlike winning the same amount at a local event that is more low key.

Yep that's kind of what I was saying although I was exaggerating a little bit. Two grand is a lot of money - don't get me wrong! - but on a show which is using the tag line "Million" as a selling point 2k falls so far short of that, it's farcical.

Halpenny wrote: »
    Yep that's kind of what I was saying although I was exaggerating a little bit. Two grand is a lot of money - don't get me wrong! - but on a show which is using the tag line "Million" as a selling point 2k falls so far short of that, it's farcical.

I reckon there must now be quite a few "red faces" all round :o on those at RTÉ/The National Lottery who insisted on adopting this particular style of approach -
    • not because they wanted to refresh the style of the show
    OR
    • not because they had a responsibility of finding alternative ways of stemming the growth in losses incurred in recent years.
    BUT that they seriously thought that this was the best way of addressing falling revenue at The National Lottery so; they figured we can get more from the source (i.e.) the ticket paying public who are already on their knees from a raft of austerity measures since 2008.

Maybe someone should have told them that you actually cannot get blood out of a stone. The citizens of Ireland are not stupid and won't be fooled by this sort of crap! They have just damaged a significant amount of goodwill built up among the Irish public since 1990. How to lose a large number of loyal customers in one stupid silly short-sighted way! Not a very smart move by the new owners of The National Lottery!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I reckon there must now be quite a few "red faces" all round :o on those at RTÉ/The National Lottery who insisted on adopting this particular style of approach -
    • not because they wanted to refresh the style of the show
    OR
    • not because they had a responsibility of finding alternative ways of stemming the growth in losses incurred in recent years.
    BUT that they seriously thought that this was the best way of addressing falling revenue at The National Lottery so; they figured we can get more from the source (i.e.) the ticket paying public who are already on their knees from a raft of austerity measures since 2008.

Maybe someone should have told them that you actually cannot get blood out of a stone. The citizens of Ireland are not stupid and won't be fooled by this sort of crap! They have just damaged a significant amount of goodwill built up among the Irish public since 1990. How to lose a large number of loyal customers in one stupid silly short-sighted way! Not a very smart move by the new owners of The National Lottery!

You have to understand, its the Ontario teachers pension fund who are now calling the shots, they dont understand the Irish culture or the Irish people, we are just numbers on a book to them, they dont understand how grass roots work here when people think there are being made a fool of, and my guess is they wont learn either, until its too late.

You have to understand, its the Ontario teachers pension fund who are now calling the shots, they dont understand the Irish culture or the Irish people, we are just numbers on a book to them, they dont understand how grass roots work here when people think there are being made a fool of, and my guess is they wont learn either, until its too late.

Why did you think I did not understand? lol I was fully aware of the changes involving the overseas Canadian pension fund having an involvement in recent times hence the changes. I made earlier reference to Ontario in one of my earlier posts in this very thread! :)

Sure of course it is possible (if not probable) that they would NOT be adopting a similar approach however; this will be their loss and by the time they have learned it will by then be far too late as folk will have got out of the weekly habit and will probably be reluctant to rush back as money remains tight for so many people as we all know. The lack of research carried out in relation to the way this was all handled may in one sense be understandable but it is also careless and sloppy and will cost them dearly.

Why did you think I did not understand?

I meant as a term of pharse:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Am I suffering alone? Had mixed feelings about watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I've been looking forward to this all week. Could do with a good laugh :P

• Advertisement

Nicky is ****ing dreadful. It's like listening to an Irish oral. Random questions with no connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

'And have you any children?'

Thrilling questions. Oddly, he seems more edgy and nervous tonight than last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Am I suffering alone? Had mixed feelings about watching again.

No I tuned in to see if they'd bothered to change anything and look the cd cases have been replaced by Argos jewellery boxes ;-)

Its so bad i dont think i will even watch it to complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Containers!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Neeson wrote: »
    They get 2,000 each.

Do they not go home with what they won in previous rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

Wow what a difference from last week, the CD cases are replaces with Necklace boxes from Newbridge silverware. Stay Classy RTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Nicky: "And Kathleen from last week is also from your town.. I know where I'm gonna buy my tickets in future"...

You already won the lottery once, dont be a greedy bast*rd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The citizens of Ireland are not stupid and won't be fooled by this sort of crap!

In fairness, they are buying lottery tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

That little Pr**k rascal really annoys me... it was bad enough to have to listen to him on 2FM but now to have to look at him as well :eek:

• Advertisement

Zzzzzzzzz.... spending double the time on this guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Forgive me if anyone has already said this but

BRING BACK MARTY!!!

PLEASE!

So there talking to these for last 5 minutes.

That little Pr**k rascal really annoys me... it was bad enough to have to listen to him on 2FM but now to have to look at him as well :eek:

I don't mind looking at him :p

Christ, get on with guess the number!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Let's play the next game, crack your head off the wall..

So they don't get that 6,000 now?

This honestly seems like it belongs on the Savage Eye.

Carmel and Carmel from Choooom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The boxes in front of them look like iPhone boxes.

Advertisement