Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ever play Cards against Humanity?

Yeah played it for the first time on Saturday. Absolutely hilarious! Except I don't think there's any point to it?

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah played it for the first time on Saturday. Absolutely hilarious! Except I don't think there's any point to it?

You could get really deep and ask whats the point to anything?

Like you said, its absolutely hilarious!

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When someone says "what is art" I'm always reminded of that video of the student performance artist opening and cooking a can of beans before fiddling with herself in front of the crowd. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's great as an ice breaker!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Dwarf Fortress is an enigma to me. What is its appeal?

WHAT IS YOUR APPEAL?!

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    When someone says "what is art" I'm always reminded of that video of the student performance artist opening and cooking a can of beans before fiddling with herself in front of the crowd. :pac:

FOUND IT!

My bad though, it was spaghetti hoops, not beans!

Challenge: watch the video above and then tell us all what you believe it symbolises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

awec wrote: »
    FOUND IT!

My bad though, it was spaghetti hoops, not beans!

If this is NSFW it's going on my external screen!

If this is NSFW it's going on my external screen!

Don't think it's NSFW really. You don't see anything really. Can just not watch the end though (but be sure to rewatch later so as to fully appreciate the artistic talent on show) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

We played Cards Against Humanity at xmas. Myself, the wife, the brother and his wife. Oh and my Mum and Dad who used to hit me if i said so much as "fart" as a child.

To hear my Dad say "Motherfcuking Sorcerer" was one of the funniest things i've ever experienced. To find out it was Mum's card was even sweeter!! :)

It's a great family game!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ever play Cards against Humanity?

Spent hours in Dublin looking for it last week to play with a few friends in the pub (to get the hype) it was sold out everywhere so we ended up downloading the app and four of us playing on our phones.... Not our proudest moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Buer wrote: »
    I have no idea what that game is but Dave O'Gorman conducted an experiment a few years ago and did a book on it where it was featured heavily. It was essentially him asking all his Twitter followers if they'd like to play a game. He got all sorts of invites. Ultimate frisbee, pool, dominoes, darts etc. and travelled all over the UK meeting people and playing games.

Settlers of Catan was completely foreign to him but I recall he got quite into it by the end.

It's an interesting, quirky book with a rather unexpected slant at the end for a non-fiction publication.

That sounds interesting, must look it up.

Settlers is a German board game (apparently German board game is actually a genre!). It's a reasonable simple premise - you collect resources and build road and settlements. The board changes every time and there is a fair bit of tactics and strategy involved while still having a reasonable element of luck.

I first played it about 5 years ago and was completely hooked. Absolutely love the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Catan is excellent. Good game length as well. The only problem is that you really need exactly 4 players to have a good one.

Speaking of, game of thrones board game (based on diplomacy) is very good, but requires exactly 6.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Battlestar Gallactica boardgame is fantastic. Best I've played anyway.

I don't mind playing with 3, but 4 is definitely better.

I have the 5-6 player expansion which is interesting, but its quite a different game. Prefer the 4 player version.

The Battlestar Gallactica boardgame is fantastic. Best I've played anyway.

Bloody difficult though!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Bloody difficult though!

It's a great game to play if you are a bastard, have underlying bastarding tendencies, or else just intensely hate all of your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's a great game to play if you are a bastard, have underlying bastarding tendencies, or else just intensely hate all of your friends.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Sounds like something you shouldn't be sharing with the rest of us.
    Games are entertainment, media, etc. Not too sure about art, but some game developers certainly take it to that level in terms of what they love, but for the majority it's just a cash cow.

I'm an avid gamer, nor am I afraid to admit it. MSII is just jealous because all they have in the south-west to entertain themselves is real life GTA. ;)

But seriously, I'm not as big into gaming as I once was - it was a good part of my job as I sold PC components so I was very much into it, and I am now what we used to refer to as a 'casual gamer', someone you used to look down upon when you were deep in the world of PC gaming. :P Now adays I find gaming a great form of escapism, and why not? Some people like to shut out the outside world (read: girlfriend) by delving into a book, or watching a movie. Gaming offers the same thing, a chance to shut out the outside world and play through a story or challenge yourself to distraction. After a stressful day at the office it can be nice to unwind for an hour with a joypad in your hand.

An hour? You know it can make you blind and grow hair on the palms of your hands!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

durkadurka wrote: »
    So did you go for the easy pink or screw back for the difficult brown...

Like the surfers in Auckland, huh durkadurka? High tide at Red Beach means heading round to Browns Bay.

Anyway, in terms of board games, abalone is pretty addictive. And I was always impartial to a bit of chess, never particularly good at it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's Farrell doing to Murray..?

335196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Not sure but Murray's expression would suggest he's not enjoying it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just sent a PM to JM08 - apparently he's "schooling" him...

Oh totally.

But I've managed to lose the game when there weren't even any cylons. It really does capture the atmosphere of the first season though.

Dwarf Fortress is an enigma to me. What is its appeal?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/dwarf-fortress-ten-hours-with-the-most-inscrutable-video-game-of-all-time/

I've cooled off now, I don't know if it even has an appeal, and that is it's main appeal really. It's a bit like Leo Cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

Warlight is an addictive past time. It's an online version of risk basically. You can play on the Game of Thrones world and stuff. Like 1500 territories!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/02/dwarf-fortress-ten-hours-with-the-most-inscrutable-video-game-of-all-time/

I've cooled off now, I don't know if it even has an appeal, and that is it's main appeal really. It's a bit like Leo Cullen.

Cheers for that. I played it once years ago and couldn't get over the ASCII graphics.

Cheers for that. I played it once years ago and couldn't get over the ASCII graphics.

Oh yeah, I don't use those. You can get graphcs packs that go over the ASCII and they look much better like http://i.imgur.com/g3av8Vj.png or http://i50.tinypic.com/2euu0oz.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

335196.jpg

All we need now is Zebo standing behind Farrell and we have our new summer sequel!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement