Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    I must have completed the first MGS about 20 times when I was younger.

Remember ye had to change discs at one point? :D

Also, for GTA I think San Andreas is the most expansive one of the lot.

Good times! Too many memorable moments in that game to mention. I had gone off games for a few years but I bought a PS3 just to play MGS4 and I was delighted that the pack came with MGS1. I think it set the standard for voice acting in a game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Metal Gear Solid is an absolute masterpiece. Snake Eater is my favorite game ever.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Metal Gear Solid is an absolute masterpiece. Snake Eater is my favorite game ever.

The End boss battle was amazing. The terror you felt at making the slightest move in the forest!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

To compare Kevin Spacey in that, acting by numbers gig, as opposed to The Usual Suspects, or GG Ross is not on.
    Actors bring out the best in their craft when interacting with others and it enhances the viewers pleasure. You know you're watching a masterpiece...games, while they have nice graphics, and lots of bang bang noises, aren't even close to being the same thing

There are a handful of games that go beyond that. I remember Max Payne being released in 2001 and thinking at the time that video games needed to start moving in that direction more. It had a noir style and a character that had real motivations and story line that got you interested. Looking back on it there wasn't that much to it at all. It was really just a series of small story developments in between a lot of "bang bang" as you say. But it was a move into something more story driven.

I mentioned Heavy Rain earlier and I think that's a great example of where gaming could go if there was the demand. Completion of levels wasn't mandatory. If you failed to complete a level it would just change how the story panned out. There are multiple endings to the game depending on what happened while you played. And instead of running around shooting hundreds of "bad guys" it actually plays more like a movie. In fact outside of a few punch ups there's very little "action" in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Zzippy wrote: »
    It probably is a generation gap thing - I was never into gaming and am a bit old now to bother. But I just chuckle when I hear gaming and art in the same sentence... I don't call it art when I go fishing, even though I'm out in beautiful landscapes and casting a beautiful line - Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It was rubbish by comparison ;) - it's just fishing, a hobby. Gaming is a hobby and the platform is digital code - I fail to see how that could be construed as art.

I don't think your analogy holds up. Fishing for recreation can't be compared to gaming as an art form. I think your definition of what gaming is far too narrow. It's like I said in my last post, some games are created to be time wasters - halo, cod etc. while some games are also created to be pieces of art - braid, limbo, bastion etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Zzippy wrote: »
    It probably is a generation gap thing - I was never into gaming and am a bit old now to bother. But I just chuckle when I hear gaming and art in the same sentence... I don't call it art when I go fishing, even though I'm out in beautiful landscapes and casting a beautiful line - Brad Pitt in A River Runs Through It was rubbish by comparison ;) - it's just fishing, a hobby. Gaming is a hobby and the platform is digital code - I fail to see how that could be construed as art.

Playing the games isn't art obviously but the creators of the best games could reasonably be described as artists, I don't see why not anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Some are more art than others. Arguably GTA is very arty, relies a lot on dialogue, visuals and music, skyrim is similar. I think it's because there are large mundane elements.

In contrast, fifa, counter strike are much more games. Csgo is a masterpiece of competitive team gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

quite enjoying Shadow of Mordor at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes, but what IS art?

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I spend most of my time on the Xbox at the moment playing Destiny.

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote: »

I have to say that's one I got for Christmas that I just can't get into at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I used to play a lot of games. Then I stopped for a while because of time, now I just play 1 game, Dwarf Fortress, and I can't explain why, but it's amazing and I don't need any others.

Also coincidentally there was an exhibit about it at New York's Museum of Modern Art, so it's relevant: http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5973295/dwarf-fortress-is-changing-how-moma-preserves-art

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

GTA 5 was my first GTA game. I was blown away at the level of detail. The effort and budget for the game must have been insane. Brilliant characters, storyline, humour etc.

It was very clever by rockstar to wait a year before releasing the current gen versions. I'm sure millions, like me, have both previous and current gen releases.

GTA 5 is my favourite game now, but MGS is still my favorite series! For a storyline within a game, nothing beat MGS1.

Storyline wise I think The Last of Us is something of a masterpiece. Nothing comes close to it within the last decade. Infact, I struggle to think of any end-of-world tv/movie that beats it for storyline.

RuggieBear wrote: »

Yeah, it was surprisingly good. LoTR with a Assassin's Creed engine, but better. Not a GREAT game by any imagination, but still very fun.

I used to play a lot of games. Then I stopped for a while because of time, now I just play 1 game, Dwarf Fortress, and I can't explain why, but it's amazing and I don't need any others.

Sounds like something you shouldn't be sharing with the rest of us.

.ak wrote: »
    Sounds like something you shouldn't be sharing with the rest of us.

His conversion to English rugby is now complete it would seem. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So board games....they're due a big come back, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buer wrote: »

There are a good few board game cafe/pub places opening up in the States actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

More like boring games am I right

Tox56 wrote: »
    More like boring games am I right

.......you're single, aren't you?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Yeah, it was surprisingly good. LoTR with a Assassin's Creed engine, but better. Not a GREAT game by any imagination, but still very fun.

Got it for Christmas as well. Finding it a lot of fun.

I actually play cranium quite a bit. With a big group of mates and a load of drink it's quite simply brilliant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd quite the hankering for a game of Settlers of Catan now.

I actually play cranium quite a bit. With a big group of mates and a load of drink it's quite simply brilliant.

Those sort of games are actually brilliant. I'm not too big on actual board games such as Monopoly (it's gone digital, by the way...no cash!) but stuff like Cranium or Pictionary or 30 Seconds are excellent.

We broke out 30 Seconds over Christmas after a few bottles of wine.

Killings.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd quite the hankering for a game of Settlers of Catan now.

I have no idea what that game is but Dave O'Gorman conducted an experiment a few years ago and did a book on it where it was featured heavily. It was essentially him asking all his Twitter followers if they'd like to play a game. He got all sorts of invites. Ultimate frisbee, pool, dominoes, darts etc. and travelled all over the UK meeting people and playing games.

Settlers of Catan was completely foreign to him but I recall he got quite into it by the end.

It's an interesting, quirky book with a rather unexpected slant at the end for a non-fiction publication.

Those sort of games are actually brilliant. I'm not too big on actual board games such as Monopoly (it's gone digital, by the way...no cash!) but stuff like Cranium or Pictionary or 30 Seconds are excellent.

We broke out 30 Seconds over Christmas after a few bottles of wine.

Killings.

Linkee and Headsup are good ones too.

Ever play Cards against Humanity?

Also coincidentally there was an exhibit about it at New York's Museum of Modern Art, so it's relevant: http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/6/5973295/dwarf-fortress-is-changing-how-moma-preserves-art

Dwarf Fortress is an enigma to me. What is its appeal?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yes, but what IS art?

i-2eb7d13739bfb2d8a4921797e3a50b52-art1.jpg

What a load of boll1x!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The only series of games I ever got in to was HALO. Had some great fun with the flatmates and friends having big multi-player battles. Especially if one of us had brought a projector from work and we could beam onto the wall. All of a sudden you would realise it was 4am and you had to be up for work in a few hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement