Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

Podge_irl wrote: »
    ..Besides, Switzerland is a fairly unique situation that the UK can't exactly try and copy.

But dat Gove fella sed dey cud

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Couldn't give a fiddlers fck about Switzerland , the land of nazi gold and bent banks
    This is a hugely stupid decision made today.

Am I supposed to care what you think with your clichés?

Switzerland is routinely mocked by the rest of Europe, meanwhile life here is very good, we want for nothing (except approbation by the EU...), and we just got on with our happy (for some boring) little existence.

I wont start on Ireland and the tax burden that falls on the middle classes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Gotta say, we have wildly differing viewpoints on this.

The Brits were overwhelmingly often in the majority when it came to voting and the Germans have such control is no small part due to the UK disengaging which is a situation entirely of their own creating.

Switzerland has higher immigration than the UK and now they're in the position of having to restrict it (thanks to yet another silly referendum) without breaking all their trade agreements with the EU. Hell, we're in Schengen and the UK wasn't. Besides, Switzerland is a fairly unique situation that the UK can't exactly try and copy.

Mate you're in Geneva. That's a little country all in itself. In fact, as you well know Podge, Switzerland is basically 26 little countries: rural catholic french-speaking Valais has nothing much in common (except the language) with calvinist urban Geneva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

But dat Gove fella sed dey cud

But that's the funny thing ! The youth voted to stay! The large cities voted to stay, Scotland voted to stay ..it's the elderly and the English "heartland" that voted to leave
    It's a victory for ignorance and bigotry

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Am I supposed to care what you think with your clichés?

Switzerland is routinely mocked by the rest of Europe, meanwhile life here is very good, we want for nothing (except approbation by the EU...), and we just got on with our happy (for some boring) little existence.

I wont start on Ireland and the tax burden that falls on the middle classes...

Well, it's just as well I don't care what you think with your anti Eu cliché either now isn't it
    I'm so happy you have a great life in Switzerland, happy days lad. But, it's not the same in the UK and we in Ireland are inextricably linked to the UK and it will have a disproportionate negative affect on us too compared to any other country in the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

The UK can't become Switzerland overnight and without pain. Everyone knows that.

I don't think it can even remain the UK any more. Scotland's desire and case for independence is now probably ironclad.

I started the night thinking I could finally be done with this petty poison and now I find myself shellshocked. It speaks poorly of us as a country and I want no part of it.

Maybe the UK can become a Switzerland but I don't think I'll stick around to find out. Give it 18 months or so and I reckon I'll be requesting that my username be changed to American Lurker. There's simply too many advantages for me in doing so and truth be told, I'm not sure this is my country any more.

edit: Aye, and sorry to you guys, for you're coming down for a swim in the muck with us from the sounds of it.

The UK can't become Switzerland overnight and without pain. Everyone knows that.

I don't think it can even remain the UK any more. Scotland's desire and case for independence is now probably ironclad.

I started the night thinking I could finally be done with this petty poison and now I find myself shellshocked. It speaks poorly of us as a country and I want no part of it.

Maybe the UK can become a Switzerland but I don't think I'll stick around to find out. Give it 18 months or so and I reckon I'll be requesting that my username be changed to American Lurker. There's simply too many advantages for me in doing so and truth be told, I'm not sure this is my country any more.

edit: Aye, and sorry to you guys, for you're coming down for a swim in the muck with us from the sounds of it.

As an immigrant in the UK, seeing more than half of the people vote almost exclusively on an anti-immigration ticket (given that the Leave side ceded the economic arguments very very early in the race) has me feeling very uneasy.

Even if there had been zero effect to the economy between leave/remain and such a disparity was shown I'd be feeling strange. But given that the stark and fairly universally accepted consequences economically were spoken about at length, the 17.4m voters who chose that as a cost that they were willing to bear to be a closed shop is even worse.

I am fully aware that in the main, the UK population don't consider Irish people immigrants, but that's only a perception issue, and perhaps displays ignorance (or naivety). I am an immigrant. I emigrated from my country and have adopted the UK as my home. I don't see it staying that way either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We have nothing to do with Valais except for funding it with all our immigrants :)

Obviously Geneva is very different but Geneva is certainly closer to the UK than Valais. Unlikely to see mountains and vineyards popping up in Essex now.

I don't think the EU is necessary to be prosperous (and yes Switzerland proves that) but for the situation the UK is in I don't really see any benefits to leaving. The leave argument was almost entirely empty rhetoric.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Switzerland don't really export anything though so it's easier for them to trade with the EU ie just buy in what's needed and go from there. Where the UK would export a lot to Ireland and mainland Europe and would make them worse of. Years of trade talks still having to stick to EU regulations etc...

Cameron gone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Will this have an effect on the Irish team. Training camps etc...

And what type of effect will it have on the pro 12?
    The English Premiership will be effected their ability to pay mad money gone etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Cameron gone

No option. Regardless of what has gone before, this will be his legacy. When people read history books in 50 years, he will be the man who was PM when the nation elected to leave Europe against his advice.

Add to all this....are the English still allowed do the Euromillions lottery?! :D

Add to all this....are the English still allowed do the Euromillions lottery?! :D

That is the 100 million euro question

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I hope Ireland is ready to benefit in any way it can from this.

**** that. Turf them out of the Euros

Buer wrote: »
    No option. Regardless of what has gone before, this will be his legacy. When people read history books in 50 years, he will be the man who was PM when the nation elected to leave Europe against his advice.

But interestingly, wont be the person invoking Article 50. The next PM gets to cut the guy rope.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can't believe it. :(

Irish passport will have to be taken up now.

awec wrote: »

Foreigners out! Go home awec!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The Tories will disintegrate, far too much bitterness on all sides.

Hopefully Scotland will make a break for it.

• Advertisement

Today probably marks the beginning of the end for the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Gonna get my brit passport.

I was at an event in a massive multinational financial services company yesterday. Their Irish director suggested they would be moving their HQ out of London if their was a brexit and that Dublin was the prime location to move to. So, we need a building boom.

In all seriousness, I've spoken with my mates up in your hometown and they're flabbergasted. They said that around 75% of people they spoke with were voting to remain and, whilst they knew it would be different elsewhere, they never imagined the leave campaign would succeed.

But if you look at the interactive maps of NI, you can see that large swathes of the country voted to depart though, with anything in or around Belfast clearly voting to leave.

In all seriousness, I've spoken with my mates up in your hometown and they're flabbergasted. They said that around 75% of people they spoke with were voting to remain and, whilst they knew it would be different elsewhere, they never imagined the leave campaign would succeed.

But if you look at the interactive maps of NI, you can see that large swathes of the country voted to depart though, with anything in or around Belfast clearly voting to leave.

People have had smoke blown up their arse. EU got blamed for all sorts of nonsense.

People have had smoke blown up their arse. EU got blamed for all sorts of nonsense.

Just checked and the Upper Bann constituency actually voted to leave. That was as far as the leave vote reached.

Someone just told me there that 87% of agricultural grants to NI are from the EU. Mad vote.

Just checked and the Upper Bann constituency actually voted to leave. That was as far as the leave vote reached.

Someone just told me there that 87% of agricultural grants to NI are from the EU. Mad vote.

Interesting discussion on the radio the other week with two farmers from NI. Mother and Son. Mother wanted to remain, Son wanted to leave.

Mother talked about the Grants, subsidies and cash benefit provided to them as being essential and important and unguaranteeable outside of the EU.

Son talked about how those grants, subsidies and cash distorted farming, and that it made for bad practices, lazy farming and that some farmers who would be 'forced to consolidate' otherwise were able to get away with not doing so.

It was interesting to hear someone directly receiving benefit asking for it to be cut off.

I disagreed with a lot of what he was saying, but it was refreshing to hear a different perspective I guess.

Upper bann is my constituency. :mad:

Hard to see how the UK stays together now.

Upper bann is my constituency. :mad:

I know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So ... if the North joins back with us, we won't have to play Ireland's Call anymore right?

Fair trade for the billions it'd cost, I suppose.

• Advertisement

So ... if the North joins back with us, we won't have to play Ireland's Call anymore right?

Fair trade for the billions it'd cost, I suppose.

Wrong, we'd probably only play Ireland's Call!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement