Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Undefeated Portugal trough while repeat losers bow out... seems fair.

pro12 goes by Number of Matches won before points/goal difference - that's Just my thinking that seems weird how a team that hasn't won has got through

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Maybe I'm just old and cynical but I find the quality of football as a spectacle abysmal these days. It drives me nuts watching 90 minutes of blatant cheating, incompetent refereeing with no recourse to the hundreds of cameras in use and the complete lack of respect of the players for the officials. That, and the anodine commentary vindictating the cheating just sickens me.

Occasionally you get an underdog playing their hearts out or a side who don't simply floor the rules as a matter of course (the USA for example) and it's hard not to want them to win. If quality football is synonymous with preening theatrics and ten thousand little passes around the circle, then bring on the Icelanders and the Faroese, please.

Some of the comments about Brady after the game were hilarious. Showing a replay of the goal one of the comments was "bravery of a lion". There was nobody touching him, nobody attempting to challenge him, nobody else really going for the ball. All he had to do was head it straight in front of him. Now it was well taken and the cross was a good one, but "bravery of a lion"!? What kind of smoke blowing nonsense is that!?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Some of the comments about Brady after the game were hilarious. Showing a replay of the goal one of the comments was "bravery of a lion". There was nobody touching him, nobody attempting to challenge him, nobody else really going for the ball. All he had to do was head it straight in front of him. Now it was well taken and the cross was a good one, but "bravery of a lion"!? What kind of smoke blowing nonsense is that!?

tumblr_inline_nsogvfHwll1rk9kzj_500.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 41,352 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bravery probably comes from the fact it was a midfielder making that run in the 84th minute....actually it was probably the only midfield box run made by ireland on the night.
    Look, we all get a bit hyperbolic after a great win for our international teams, especially one where we do actually realise that we are punching well above our weight. I completely agree that Italy were totally disinterested last night, bonucchi spend the whole evening trying not to get a card.
    However, we did what we had to do, in the manner we had to do it. If we had have stood off the Italians we would have brought trouble on ourselves.
    I do really fear what a fresh France, at home, will do to us though. It could be worse than Spain four years ago.

• Administrators Posts: 53,628 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also going up for a header when the ball is coming over your shoulder with an onrushing keeper who you can't actually see is pretty brave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

awec wrote: »
    Also going up for a header when the ball is coming over your shoulder with an onrushing keeper who you can't actually see is pretty brave.

If he didn't go for that header he'd have been an awful blouse, absolute bread and butter header for a player in the LSL let alone at international level.

I don't think he had a clue where the keeper was either i.e. for all he knew he stayed on his line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Maybe I'm just old and cynical but I find the quality of football as a spectacle abysmal these days. It drives me nuts watching 90 minutes of blatant cheating, incompetent refereeing with no recourse to the hundreds of cameras in use and the complete lack of respect of the players for the officials. That, and the anodine commentary vindictating the cheating just sickens me.

Occasionally you get an underdog playing their hearts out or a side who don't simply floor the rules as a matter of course (the USA for example) and it's hard not to want them to win. If quality football is synonymous with preening theatrics and ten thousand little passes around the circle, then bring on the Icelanders and the Faroese, please.

Wondered what you called people from there...I would have said Faroe Islanders, but Faroese might just do nicely.

NB: personally I like football as it is. Justfies my smugness and moral superiority as a rugby fan :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,628 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buer wrote: »
    If he didn't go for that header he'd have been an awful blouse, absolute bread and butter header for a player in the LSL let alone at international level.

I don't think he had a clue where the keeper was either i.e. for all he knew he stayed on his line.

Well the scenario of the keeper wiping me out would have been on my mind if I was in that situation! But I am unbelievably good looking and it could be my natural tendency to protect my good looks that would make me wary.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,352 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I played keeper up to senior level. Rule number one...If you don't get the ball, get the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I played keeper up to senior level. Rule number one...If you don't get the ball, get the man.

Absolutely. If Buffon had been in sticks he'd have taken both.

It was brutal goalkeeping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sydthebeat wrote: »

Mind awec's incredibly handsome face there Syd...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

wp_rathead wrote: »
    pro12 goes by Number of Matches won before points/goal difference - that's Just my thinking that seems weird how a team that hasn't won has got through

But three draws is worth more points than a win and two losses in the Pro 12, unless you score 4 tries a game and lose by less than 7 points in which case you have the same as a team tying their games with try bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

But three draws is worth more points than a win and two losses in the Pro 12, unless you score 4 tries a game and lose by less than 7 points in which case you have the same as a team tying their games with try bonuses.

1 win and 2 losses will get you 6 points. I'm counting LBPs as soccer games tend to be 1-2 score games so relatively speaking you'd be looking at LBPs in both losses.

3 draws will get you 6 points unless they are high scoring and you manage a TBP in some or all. Again, soccer tends to be low scoring so relatively speaking you'd be looking at non-TBP draws.

On the table it comes to games won as the first decider. The team with the single win would go ahead.

1 win and 2 losses will get you 6 points. I'm counting LBPs as soccer games tend to be 1-2 score games so relatively speaking you'd be looking at LBPs in both losses.

3 draws will get you 6 points unless they are high scoring and you manage a TBP in some or all. Again, soccer tends to be low scoring so relatively speaking you'd be looking at non-TBP draws.

On the table it comes to games won as the first decider. The team with the single win would go ahead.

That's in a league where all the teams are grouped together. In the euros the teams aren't head to head, if they were the above permutation would be impossible. The direct results of the teams against one another counts before goal difference. Maybe the European Cup is a better comparison.

Dear UK,

Welcome to life outside the EU. It's actually pretty damn good.

Yours,
    Switzerland

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Dear UK,

Welcome to life outside the EU. It's actually pretty damn good.

Yours,
    Switzerland

I thought there's supposed to be 2 referendums, isn't that standard EU policy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Sinn Fein's/IRA's best slogan of Brit's Out looks like it's going to be fulfilled by the Brit's themselves :eek::eek:

Xe.com is down. Everyone wondering if they should pillage Amazon.co.uk and plunder the corpse of the pound or bow to their sterling overlord.

Any jobs at home going?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Today will go down in history as the most idiotic decision that England has made in its history, good going chaps, you just fcked yourselves and you're too stupid to realise it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm shocked.

Today will go down in history as the most idiotic decision that England has made in its history, good going chaps, you just fcked yourselves and you're too stupid to realise it!!

Helped no doubt by an absolutely toxic campaign on both sides.

One side screaming "look at all these immigrants" and the other shouting "wow have you seen the size of that shark?".

Never once was anything positive presented by Remain. Nobody in my locality knows what the benefits to remaining would have meant to them. Nobody spoke about the reasons for the EU. Nobody ever mentioned the value accrued to us all by working together and closely so. Nobody falsified the 'democratic deficit' nonsense by explaining how the EU and the Commission works and is elected.

All of it was Fear. Fear of the unknown vs Fear of the immigrants.

And the worst bit is that the latter was scarier for the majority of the population! :(

Democracy works when we can make informed decisions. That's one of the main reasons we have a representative democracy. We choose people to make decisions for us that are best for us.

I'm shocked.

I'm actually not, never underestimate the stupidity of herd mentality .
    The youth voted to stay, the large cities voted to stay, the elderly voted en masse to leave
    Because of their stupidity, the youth suffer.
    Not sure what will happen, but I'm guessing they will still have some associate membership.

Not. At. All.

I'm sure the Brits will miss bailing out the Greeks...and taking orders from their Franco-German overlords.

I was pro-EU. Then I moved to Switzerland. And I realised what a crock of shìt the whole EU thing is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To think this all started as basically an internal Conservative party power play.

Not. At. All.

I'm sure the Brits will miss bailing out the Greeks...and taking orders from their Franco-German overlords.

I was pro-EU. Then I moved to Switzerland. And I realised what a crock of shìt the whole EU thing is.

Couldn't give a fiddlers fck about Switzerland , the land of nazi gold and bent banks
    This is a hugely stupid decision made today.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    To think this all started as basically an internal Conservative party power play.

It still is.

They just accidentally won.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Not. At. All.

Switzerland never went into the EU, so they haven't heavily relied on the support from the EU. Britain will have a massive adjustment to make to get used to going solo. Switzerland never had to make that transition.

I'm actually concerned for the welfare of the NHS. What % of front line workers are "immigrants". What will happen if they're forced to leave? Who will fill the roles. Can the UK produce enough graduates in a short space of time to staff the hospitals when people start to leave?

And let's not mention the state of sterling this morning. That £1,000 in the bank yesterday is now only worth £890. Good going Britain.

Great British public my hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not. At. All.

Gotta say, we have wildly differing viewpoints on this.

The Brits were overwhelmingly often in the majority when it came to voting and the Germans have such control is no small part due to the UK disengaging which is a situation entirely of their own creating.

Switzerland has higher immigration than the UK and now they're in the position of having to restrict it (thanks to yet another silly referendum) without breaking all their trade agreements with the EU. Hell, we're in Schengen and the UK wasn't. Besides, Switzerland is a fairly unique situation that the UK can't exactly try and copy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement