Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

bilston wrote: »
    Rugby is my first love but the 3rd test on Sat will have to take a backseat to the Northern Ireland Wales game! I think we have a chance. They have Bale and Ramsey who are better than anything we have but other than that the teams are much of a muchness, plus we have the greatest keeper that ever played the game!

Ah it's a bit unfair to ask Pat Jennings to come back for it... he must be over 70 by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Zzippy wrote: »
    Rugby is my first love but the 3rd test on Sat will have to take a backseat to the Northern Ireland Wales game! I think we have a chance. They have Bale and Ramsey who are better than anything we have but other than that the teams are much of a muchness, plus we have the greatest keeper that ever played the game!

Ah it's a bit unfair to ask Pat Jennings to come back for it... he must be over 70 by now!

Michael McGovern's wiki page says he is the greatest ever and Wikipedia never lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You'll be able watch first half of the rugby anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    I am.

Does this annoy you? :pac:

I hope Jared Payne plays 13 for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tad weird how Albania and Turkey both won a match and are out yet Portugal won 0 and are through to last 16..

• Advertisement

I hope Jared Payne plays 13 for the rest of his life.

You know deliberately trolling a mod is actually a criminal offence, not just an infraction? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I could watch that goal over and over again. A thing of beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I have to say if the Irish rugby team had such difficulty breaking down a completely disinterested NZ rugby team during a RWC the way that our soccer team struggled with that Italian side there'd be a real element of frustration from us fans. I thought Ireland were woeful, and only made look in any way strong by a truly inept and lazy Italian performance. But because this is Irelands first win in the Euros in nearly 30 years it seems critical analysis like that is frowned upon.

It's great for the fans who have been a real credit to the country and I am glad for them, so for those of you that fall into that category don't mind me....

giphy.gif

molloyjh wrote: »
    I have to say if the Irish rugby team had such difficulty breaking down a completely disinterested NZ rugby team during a RWC the way that our soccer team struggled with that Italian side there'd be a real element of frustration from us fans. I thought Ireland were woeful, and only made look in any way strong by a truly inept and lazy Italian performance. But because this is Irelands first win in the Euros in nearly 30 years it seems critical analysis like that is frowned upon.

It's great for the fans who have been a real credit to the country and I am glad for them, so for those of you that fall into that category don't mind me....

giphy.gif

I was thinking that too before we scored. Our first touch and control of the ball was appalling by comparison with Italy. We completely dominated possession, but created very few clearcut chances. Few mitigating factors though - we were denied a stonewall penalty, the ref allowed the Italians to beat Shane Long up all game with no sign of a yellow card, and Italian teams make a virtue of defending and are masters of the art of looking sh1te yet keeping teams scoreless. We certainly weren't that good, but we weren't that bad either...

It's great for the fans who have been a real credit to the country and I am glad for them, so for those of you that fall into that category don't mind me...

100%, against a weakened Italian team who had already qualified. But I don't want to say that publically...

• Advertisement

100%, against a weakened Italian team who had already qualified. But I don't want to say that publically...

Balls like Bengali Tigers, heh.....

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can't compare the Irish football and rugby teams, so you can't really compare the reaction of fans. The football team are much smaller fish in a much bigger pond.

Being honest neither Irish team are quality sides, even the Italian B team would be of a much higher standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 daveup

gerry thornley, here's a suggestion to finish off the final test (hopefully when we win).

'A flash of light from the heavens had taken Ireland to a place of singular beauty, left the nation residing in a palace of dreams'

A quote from the soccer game reporting tonight that i liked much

You can't compare the Irish football and rugby teams, so you can't really compare the reaction of fans. The football team are much smaller fish in a much bigger pond.

Being honest neither Irish team are quality sides, even the Italian B team would be of a much higher standard.

I prefer the sweet taste of small mandarins over granny smiths

The pond for the Euros is bleedin' huge. Everyone gets a go. If you ignore the small countries like the Andorras and the Macedonias more countries actually qualify for the competition than don't. And of the ones that qualify more make it to the knock-outs than don't. Sure Ireland scored just 2 goals yet are still somehow through. Portugal didn't win a game and are there. Iceland are through ffs. Iceland! Does that not take the sheen away from the whole thing just a bit?

Maybe if they took away the last 16 round it might be more interesting. As it is most teams just sort of breeze through the pools not really having to do anything at all.

The pond for the Euros is bleedin' huge. Everyone gets a go. If you ignore the small countries like the Andorras and the Macedonias more countries actually qualify for the competition than don't. And of the ones that qualify more make it to the knock-outs than don't. Sure Ireland scored just 2 goals yet are still somehow through. Portugal didn't win a game and are there. Iceland are through ffs. Iceland! Does that not take the sheen away from the whole thing just a bit?

Maybe if they took away the last 16 round it might be more interesting. As it is most teams just sort of breeze through the pools not really having to do anything at all.

if i remember iceland knocked out holland at the group stage? now if that ain't impressive what is?

being very much a person who religiously watches the 6oclock news on rte1 I did have a look at this question on the leaving cert higher level economics paper and feel a need to scratch my already balding head

Leaving Cert economics, higher-level paper:

Explain how Ireland’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) could be affected by any two of the following.

(i) An increase in child benefit payments.

(how can you say if you don't know what the increase is?)

(ii) A foreign-owned company, operating in Ireland, sends back to their home country all the profits they have earned in Ireland.

(how can you say if you don't know what profits are being sent out of country)
    (iii) An oil spill off the Irish coast costs the Irish Government significant clean-up costs.
    (how can you know if you don't supply the clean-up costs)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Just about felt so depressed molloy, I went out and shot myself :P

The Irish fans are a complete credit to Ireland, I've had a couple of work-mates spontaneously comment on it, and the Swiss TV was going on about it too.

I'd go with the European Rugby Cup version: 20 teams, 5 pools, top in each pool + the top 3 runners up = quarter finals. Makes the pools much more challenging, and there is no way Europe needs a round of 16.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Tad weird how Albania and Turkey both won a match and are out yet Portugal won 0 and are through to last 16..

Undefeated Portugal trough while repeat losers bow out... seems fair.

giphy.gif

But Ireland are basically the Namibia of soccer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

This. Ireland are a poor side in the grand scheme of things. We just don't have enough players who are comfortable on the ball, can beat people and can cross properly. We're punching well above our weight in International football

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

In fairness to molloy, he's right. The expanded tournament has not worked. There have been some dire games involving weak nations. Yes, they've added some colour and fun to the tournament overall but the football has suffered.

Look at the teams that have qualified from the 3rd place spots.....

We drew our first game in a decent showing, we're ripped assunder by a far better team in our second match and won our deciding fixture against a team that rested most of their team.
    Northern Ireland lost 2 of their 3 games and got through after sticking 11 men behind the ball to try and lose by as few goals as possible in their last game.
    Portugal went through without winning a game.

I'm delighted we're through and will gladly take it but those sort of results shouldn't be rewarded with progress to the next round.

The tournament should revert to 4 groups of 4 involving the 16 best teams where nearly every game is between quality sides.

I don't doubt that is true. I'm only personally put off by the claims that the win was so historic when it really wasn't in my opinion. It was historic when Robbie Keane scored in 2002. It was historic when we beat Italy in 1994 and England in 1988. What would be historic is if we beat France, I would go mad for that. Someone on the telly said that was one of the most historic days in Irish history, and I could only laugh.

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't doubt that is true. I'm only personally put off by the claims that the win was so historic when it really wasn't in my opinion. It was historic when Robbie Keane scored in 2002. It was historic when we beat Italy in 1994 and England in 1988. What would be historic is if we beat France, I would go mad for that. Someone on the telly said that was one of the most historic days in Irish history, and I could only laugh.

Ireland have never qualified for the last 16 before. Its pretty historic.

Technically we qualified for the last 8 in 1988!

But yes, we've never qualified for this round in Europe, but the competition has also never been this weak or in this structure.

Technically, nobody has ever qualified for the last 16 of the knock outs before.

We played far better and got better results in 1988 but didn't qualify as only the top 2 went directly through to the semi finals. Only a late Dutch goal knocked us out in the final pool game. I'd rate that tournament performance as far more impressive. We had England (WC quarter finalists two years beforehand), Holland (eventual winners) and the USSR (runners up) in our pool and came 8 minutes from qualifying for the semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Odd in all this discussion of poor results and poor teams going through ... we drew all four games in Italia 90 and managed to get to the quarter finals before losing, scoring a majestic 2 goals in the process, penalties aside. It's not really a new thing.

Odd in all this discussion of poor results and poor teams going through ... we drew all four games in Italia 90 and managed to get to the quarter finals before losing, scoring a majestic 2 goals in the process, penalties aside. It's not really a new thing.

Indeed and, whilst we were all going absolutely crazy at the time, history now has adjusted somewhat to reflect that we were a completely painful team to watch and we wasted the talent we had in that squad. We were bloody hard to break down though and managed a second place finish (on a coin toss, in fairness)

Dunphy was vilified in 1990 but opinions have softened hugely in relation to his comments at the time. He was absolutely correct in his criticism.

Buer wrote: »
    In fairness to molloy, he's right. The expanded tournament has not worked. There have been some dire games involving weak nations. Yes, they've added some colour and fun to the tournament overall but the football has suffered.

Look at the teams that have qualified from the 3rd place spots.....

We drew our first game in a decent showing, we're ripped assunder by a far better team in our second match and won our deciding fixture against a team that rested most of their team.
    Northern Ireland lost 2 of their 3 games and got through after sticking 11 men behind the ball to try and lose by as few goals as possible in their last game.
    Portugal went through without winning a game.

I'm delighted we're through and will gladly take it but those sort of results shouldn't be rewarded with progress to the next round.

The tournament should revert to 4 groups of 4 involving the 16 best teams where nearly every game is between quality sides.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical but I find the quality of football as a spectacle abysmal these days. It drives me nuts watching 90 minutes of blatant cheating, incompetent refereeing with no recourse to the hundreds of cameras in use and the complete lack of respect of the players for the officials. That, and the anodine commentary vindictating the cheating just sickens me.

Occasionally you get an underdog playing their hearts out or a side who don't simply floor the rules as a matter of course (the USA for example) and it's hard not to want them to win. If quality football is synonymous with preening theatrics and ten thousand little passes around the circle, then bring on the Icelanders and the Faroese, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

"He had every right to go down there." No one phrase in English infuriates me as much as this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement