Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FWVT the floor is open to you if you want to have a go. I'm perfectly happy with the thread, happy some saw snow and really I don't think most care that they didn't. That is the nature of these setups in Ireland.

I think you take things too seriously, are trying to wind me up and/or need to just get over it.

So yes we'll move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

FWVT the floor is open to you if you want to have a go. I'm perfectly happy with the thread, happy some saw snow and really I don't think most care that they didn't. That is the nature of these setups in Ireland.

I think you take things too seriously, are trying to wind me up and/or need to just get over it.

So yes we'll move on.

I'm just against all things Madden-esque.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I don't often take sides but FWVT your spot on, Kermit.de.frog over hyped the thread from the beginning. the forecasts around here should be left to people like Maq, weathercheck and MT who will set up a thread if its necessary. people saw a few flakes of snow today, very few photos etc etc. met eireann were spot on.

FWVT wrote: »
    I'm just against all things Madden-esque.

This thread was started early on the 8th. At that stage all the models were in firm agreement with the prognosis set out in the OP. I would not have started it otherwise. I don't get the core of your argument - there was nothing extreme or out of the ordinary or not in keeping with the data available right up to the 00z runs last night.

Indeed this morning TAF's could have been lifted from the OP.

And FWIW I have on many occasions criticised not only the person you reference and his "agency" or whatever you want to call it but the media in general (not just the UK media) on ridiculous outlandish and scaremongering articles.

We agree there that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Closing this thread temporarily until I sort out this mess of low-level trolling, back seat moderation & personal attacks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

FWVT, some of your posts on this thread were reported by other members and they can best be described as low-level trolling. Despite a number of reports of snow falling at various low-level locations you posted
    So there are no photos of all these places that got low-level snow today? I only saw one from Donegal.
    Hmmm...I suppose all their iPhone chargers were broken too. :cool:
    No photos here of snow at low levels, as would normally happen. Nothing.

Sleet doesn't deserve a thread, I'm afraid.

Hands up those who are happy about today's snow?

And this post highlighting Kermit.de.frog's posts was in my opinion designed to aggravate/goad him http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93784647&postcount=240 - a breach of the charter

5. No trolling/goading posts which serve only to aggravate other users.

I think you need to grow up a little bit to be perfectly honest.
    While you may have felt provoked, you have been around here long enough to know that you report the problem to the mods and let them deal with it. You do not take matters into your own hands because it just derails the thread

I don't often take sides but FWVT your spot on, Kermit.de.frog over hyped the thread from the beginning. the forecasts around here should be left to people like Maq, weathercheck and MT who will set up a thread if its necessary.
    You do not get to single out a member and suggest that they should not be allowed to post a forecast. This is a discussion forum and our charter states that

'Everyone is entitled to post and has equal rights whether they are weather experts or complete newbies.'

Let me be crystal clear - If there is any repeat of this bickering and/or goading I will ban the offender from posting in this thread
    Warnings/infractions have been issued as appropriate now let's move on please and get back to enjoying the weather and participating in this thread

Do not respond to this warning on-thread, PM me if you have any issues
    Thanks

00z GFS dispenses with Tuesday's potential event. Development further south affecting southern UK for a time but snow showers roll in here instead mostly in the west.

More newsworthy is the potential storm brewing for later Wednesday night.

But anyway ECM looking good for Tuesday and Tuesday night

ECM0-72.GIF?11-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

I had snow here in the east for about 30 minutes last night, I am on higher ground though, ~750asl.

I had snow here in the east for about 30 minutes last night, I am on higher ground though, ~750asl.

Did it stick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Aircraft Freak

Dónal wrote: »
    Did it stick?

Nope, but it was quite heavy for about ten minutes, It started raining after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

These westward incursions are just too hard to call. The sea modification is huge, the sea track is huge. You need srong winds to drag the air across the Atlantic as fast as possible, but then you need the winds to slacken when they reach Ireland. Coastal areas in my opinion wont see snow. Any on shore breeze will drag temps up.
    given that most of our population is on the sea, it leads to alot of Negative back graden feedback.

I agree that looking at the charts we should have had snow. But given how many variables we need an how close the temps are to snow or rain, id say these events are FI at +6hrs.

But I do enjoy them, i appreciate the effort put in on this thread.

Lumi keep up the good work, but dont be thinking Karma is goimg to give you snow for it 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Still all to play for a decent snow risk Tuesday.
    Though the main Risk areas IMO are the NW and West ( Kerry mountains too)
    Some cherry picking shows that perturbation 6 places the trough feature more favorably for parts of Munster and Leinster to be in with a shot.
    gens-6-1-60_rnt3.png
    gens-6-2-60_elg8.png

I do think though that it will be downgraded to yesterday's setup which was always slightly on the negative side of good criteria ( for a NW feed )

I'll be happy even with just some lying snow on the dublin/wicklow mountains ! :cool:

Should start coming into range on this evening's hi-res models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

So you think Tuesday will be a repeat of yesterday Iancar or did I misread your post?

On current charts its looking alot better than yesterday with more widespread instability , thundersnow possible near the W / NW coast . Lower DPs and air temps ( both below 0c ) I just think those 850temps will be downgraded slightly before then as its one of the most difficult things for the models to pick up accurately with such a long dynamic track across the Atlantic.

Still exciting stuff though, fingers crossed for when the hi res comes into range later.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Still all to play for a decent snow risk Tuesday.

Both NAVGEM and GFS putting that just off the south coast. Not game up by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

There was some lying snow around the kilikee road and sallys gap this morning. There was also snow on the summit of Kippure Mountain.........

Another thing we have to watch is the chance of blizzard like conditions in the north west. The wind aspect for Monday night and Tuesday is becoming more noteworthy closer the time. Another impact of this is the showers will be driven well inland on this and several trough lines in the mix too. Rare enough that upgrades happen close to the time but Monday night, Tuesday and Tuesday night may be memorable for some.

gme-1-54.png?11-12

gme-0-54.png?11-12

Here we go again...12z GFS making more of an event for the south and south Leinster on Tuesday.

Some Corkonians will be happy ;) Just 48 hrs out.

gfs-2-48.png?12

gfs-0-48.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Can anybody point to any time an Atlantic system bringing northwesterlies has produced long term low lying snow generally across Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Peeky Max

Will this be at all like 2010???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Peeky Max wrote: »
    Will this be at all like 2010???

Nothing remotely like that on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

No, it won't be like 2010 especially not for Dublin and area where only small amounts of melting snow are likely if anything, where it might amount to something is over higher parts of the north and west including southwest at times, and by higher parts I don't mean just on hills but not right at sea level. I would doubt that any populated areas would see much more than 3-5 cm although higher slopes could see 10-20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Will the snow hold on altitude (above 500m) all the way to the weekend or do I feel a sickie coming on for Wed/Thurs?
    I am thinking Kerry/Galtees/Connemara.

Will the snow hold on altitude (above 500m) all the way to the weekend or do I feel a sickie coming on for Wed/Thurs?
    I am thinking Kerry/Galtees/Connemara.

No. The associated mild sector with the midweek storm will raise the 0c isotherm thawing any snow even on the highest peaks.

No. The associated mild sector with the midweek storm will raise the 0c isotherm thawing any snow even on the highest peaks.

Thanks Kermit, disappointing but good to know.

Thanks Kermit, disappointing but good to know.

NP, see here. You will see left overs so to speak and on high ground Wednesday's (night rather) event should really be snow temporarily above 400m. But then it turns to rain and everything gets slushy and not nice really.

81-526UK.GIF?11-12

In to hi res now for Tuesday - this is how Euro4 12z sees things.

00 Tuesday

15011300_1112.gif

6am Tuesday

15011306_1112.gif

12pm Tuesday

15011312_1112.gif

Yup , Tuesday still looking good for the Connaught and Ulster ( Kerry mountains too) ! Was afraid to look at the output! ha

Thundersnow still a good possibility .
    54_20.gif

Still hard to say if much will make it as far as the East coast.

Road trip anyone? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

With temperatures going as low as -40 at 500 hPa (this rarely happens when the cold is coming from the west) there should be a lot of instability and widespread accumulations a km or two away from the immediate coast (up to 10cm in the luckier spots in the NW-if charts stay the same).

• Advertisement

Do we need a new thread for this event?

Can someone tell me when the snow showers will start and end approx?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement