Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will this be a non-event for the east coast?

Looks like mainly the western half of the country may enjoy some snow showers over next while? I find it tough to get optimistic about Atlantic based cold spells given my location! I can only remember about 3 times since the late 70s where we saw any proper lying snow from the atlantic. 1982 obviously been something a bit special and rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It'll be all down to nowcasting Gonzo imo, seeing how much the showers stay intact as far as the east coast. Im sure some will indeed get across its just hard to pin down where .Temps and 500Hp are in the -30s so keeping lapse rates steep enough throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Iancar29 wrote: »
    It'll be all down to nowcasting Gonzo imo, seeing how much the showers stay intact as far as the east coast. Im sure some will indeed get across its just hard to pin down where .Temps and 500Hp are in the -30s so keeping lapse rates steep enough throughout the day.

I read an Ian Ferguson tweet(works for Uk MO) that they usually halve the accumulation levels of the Euro4 models. a warning for 2-6 cm in england wales tomorrow so hoping for something similar which would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not good news for Graces7, hopefully she'll have supplies in.

Thank you for the honourable mention! And I am thankfully very well stocked a they were warning before Christmas. eg five frozen chickens, eight litres of milk, six loaves.....few dozen tin of soup etc and large bag of potatoes...dog and cat food in that as I feed raw. Comes of nine years on a small island when we could be cut off long whiles in winter...l am by the way a mile down a private lane then another couple of miles from the next house and would be hard pressed to walk 100 metres.. It will be utterly beautiful up here in snow, surrounded by the mountains.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't normally but just this once. Remember these charts are the Euro 4 charts converted. They should not be taken too seriously and are only at best indicative.

B7I6wOSIcAAk2Mt.png

Am I being very slow or does this mean we will be getting gales in tandem with snow? That'll be,,,, interesting.;)

Snow warning just up on met...STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Leinster, Monaghan and Waterford
    Temperatures below freezing will cause icy stretches to form tonight on any damp and untreated surfaces. Some snow flurries are likely to occur locally also. Snow showers during Tuesday and Tuesday night may give accumulations of up to 3cm in places.

Issued:Monday 12 January 2015 14:00
    Valid:Monday 12 January 2015 18:00 to Wednesday 14 January 2015 08:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary
    Wintry showers spreading east tonight are likely to give a covering of snow of up to 3cm in places. Icy patches will form in any locations escaping snow showers. Further snow showers and similar accumulations will occur during the day on Tuesday and on Tuesday night.

Issued:Monday 12 January 2015 14:00
    Valid:Monday 12 January 2015 18:00 to Wednesday 14 January 2015 08:00

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just after seen the met eireann forecast on RTE and it does not look like good news for us in the east. They said the sleet and snow showers will extend as far as the midlands and the east will have a clear frosty night. Showers tomorrow confined to northern and western areas. After some rain on Wednesday Eastern areas looks set to stay dry and sunny for the rest of the week into next weekend.

Of course some parts of the east could get a slight dusting but don't be expecting to build snowmen at any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i love cork, but i'm honestly living in the wrong part of the country

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    They said the sleet and snow showers will extend as far as the midlands and the east will have a clear frosty night. Showers tomorrow confined to northern and western areas.

Gonzo the charts are there. Most of the showers will be in the west and north clearly but some will make it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Hope we get some snow in Wicklow Ive got my lamp goggles on!! :cool:

Gonzo the charts are there. Most of the showers will be in the west and north clearly but some will make it through.

Im just saying what I saw on RTE. Obviously hoping they get this wrong and we end up with some snow in the east!

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i love cork, but i'm honestly living in the wrong part of the country

My first winter in West Cork was very snow and ice.. I remember sliding and skidding my way to markets and in Macroom the council workers were chipping ice off pavements. That was the winter after the big snow..

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im just saying what I saw on RTE. Obviously hoping they get this wrong and we end up with some snow in the east!

The next televised forecast in normally around 3 pm. Have another look then. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Met Eireann have issued a Status Yellow weather warning for snow/ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you for the honourable mention! And I am thankfully very well stocked a they were warning before Christmas. eg five frozen chickens, eight litres of milk, six loaves.....few dozen tin of soup etc and large bag of potatoes...dog and cat food in that as I feed raw. Comes of nine years on a small island when we could be cut off long whiles in winter...l am by the way a mile down a private lane then another couple of miles from the next house and would be hard pressed to walk 100 metres.. It will be utterly beautiful up here in snow, surrounded by the mountains.

Good to hear, people in low lying area's tend to write off these events as non events but if you live alone in an isolated area on high ground these events can be a right pain. Oh and I know you have plenty 4 legged friends for company :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Beautiful almost early summer like day here in South Cork city. ..boo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yellow Snow warning, the worst kind!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I suppose we have to be greatful theres a warning at all. a beautiful day here in Castlebar it must be said, however cloud is now on the increase ahead of tonights band of rain/sleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

houston-drivers.jpg

Some one had to post it :D

lol classic :)

Good to hear, people in low lying area's tend to write off these events as non events but if you live alone in an isolated area on high ground these events can be a right pain. Oh and I know you have plenty 4 legged friends for company :):)

Thanks and I am fine... For a week anyways. snow on the island was awesome. We did not often get the massive falls the Scottish Highlands get but one year several feet.. The rubbish collecting lorry had a snow plough attachment but he got stuck and tractors had to pull him out. Great fun watching that! One year I remember when there was snow and a gale had cut the power off,, standing at the cottage door alone late at night and the utter snow silence,, YOU know.... thinking that it had been like this since prehistory,, no houses in sight... but we were safe as we had freezers etc and knew the power would be back when the boat brought the work crew over. But imagine when there was no power and that was only ten years or so before I was there. And before that no food unless you grew it in some way... I leave you to your snow dreams...hope I can find the camera charger as it will be utterly glorious up here...utter stillness a can only be in snow

The next televised forecast in normally around 3 pm. Have another look then. :cool:

saw the 3pm forecast, met eireann still saying the east will stay dry through the night.

On the met eireann website it's slightly different but still mostly dry for the east. If Dublin wakes up to several cm's of snow in the morning met eireann could be rather red faced tomorrow.

Tonight
    Outbreaks of rain and sleet will spread further east tonight, turning to snow in places, but tending to die out. However, frequent wintry showers will develop across the western half of the country as the night goes on, giving a covering of snow in places there before morning. Otherwise, sharp ground frost and icy stretches will develop, despite southwesterly winds being fresh or strong overnight. Lowest temperatures +2 to -2 degrees Celsius.

Tomorrow
    Tuesday will be bitterly cold, with strong and gusty southwesterly winds. Wintry showers will become widespread and many will fall as snow, with some accumulations. Highest temperatures only 1 to 4 degrees Celsius

Tomorrow night
    Tuesday night will continue bitterly cold. The east of the country will be dry with clear spells. However, wintry showers will continue further west and north with falls of snow in places. Lowest temperatures of -2 to 0 degrees.

edit:
    Looking at BBC they seem to be showing some snow showers for Dublin, so lets see who is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

From looking at met.ie it looks like the winds tonight might even have a southerly component to them rather than northerly.
    Am I right in interpretting it this way?
    If this is the case I might get some snow in Athenry afterall, Im used to the showers coming from the north and dieing out before the reach galway county.
    Cork might even get some too then?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Kerry mountains could get plastered with the stuff by tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

From looking at met.ie it looks like the winds tonight might even have a southerly component to them rather than northerly.
    Am I right in interpretting it this way?
    If this is the case I might get some snow in Athenry afterall, Im used to the showers coming from the north and dieing out before the reach galway county.
    Cork might even get some too then?!!

Cork is in the snow warning. the shield is taking a day or two off. About time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I now believe the eco warriors!!!!! Cork is getting snow and carlow is not!!!!! There is something messed up in that

1603 update from Met eireann

Showery outbreaks of rain and sleet will develop in the west this evening, with a risk of thunder along the coast. Elsewhere will be dry for a time.
    Tonight

The rain and sleet will spread further east tonight, turning to snow in places, but tending to die out. However, frequent wintry showers will develop across the western half of the country as the night goes on, giving a covering of snow in places there before morning. Otherwise, sharp ground frost and icy stretches will develop, despite southwesterly winds being fresh or strong overnight. Lowest temperatures plus 2 to minus 2 degrees.

• Advertisement

Down to 4 degrees now at Connaught/Knock airport so another few hours and Knock should see some of the white stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement