Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

FWVT I promise you it is really snowing here. I am not sure what Iancar is talking about mild air for, I have just looked at the Euro 4 and at 6am the 850pha temps are -6c and the dam is 526.

I just can't see temps going below 1/2 degrees at official stations tonight , the cold 850s are moving away then.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭snowinwinter

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I just can't see temps going below 1/2 degrees at official stations tonight , the cold 850s are moving away then.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they don't because its common for wind to hold temps up but i'm just saying at midnight at my location uppers are still -8c and the dam is 522 so it should be snowing.

I think its a waiting game. So if temp right now is 2c and I still have at least another 8 hours of snow.. we might get a covering. If that cloud off donegal is a band of rain then maybe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

FWVT I promise you it is really snowing here. I am not sure what Iancar is talking about mild air for, I have just looked at the Euro 4 and at 6am the 850pha temps are -6c and the dam is 526.

Yes, and that is just a little to the wrong side of marginal I'm afraid.

You need to look at a lot more than just those 2 parameters though. That's why today's been a bit of a disappointment to so many.

FWVT wrote: »
    Yes, and that is just a little to the wrong side of marginal I'm afraid.

You need to look at a lot more than just those 2 parameters though. That's why today's been a bit of a disappointment to so many.

Yes but thats at 6am, at midnight uppers are -8c. We still have that clump of cloud to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yep strong winds not good for low temps , if there was a slack breeze just enough to get showers to form and to help temps go lower it would be alot more interesting indeed.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yep strong winds not good for low temps , if there was a slack breeze just enough to get showers to form and to help temps go lower it would be alot more interesting indeed.

I'm watching that clump of cloud on sat24. If its going to be all snow I think it might lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Just rain in Galway now. I hope more snow comes after dark.

Yep can see the cloud on net weather radar now, big red clumps of showers coming.

Temp 1.9c, dew point is -1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The Atlantic is mad strong. Since the 24th Dec the temp here in Southern Poland hasn't been above 0. on Wednesday it was -21c here, 30cm of snow lying up until last night. Today its gone from -1 to +15c in 12 hours. Massive thaw on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

Raining in maghera...game over this time

• Advertisement

Marked trough approaching from the NW. This is the 'main' feature which will extend showers S and E this eve. #uksnow

Matt hugo.

Can report it is snowing again.

That squall line that started over Ireland is still strong over Germany/Poland! Massive winds here in Southern Poland currently.
    334395.jpg

Impressive!

I'm watching that clump of cloud on sat24. If its going to be all snow I think it might lie.

That's increased upper cloud due to a slight upper shortwave. It will not change the conditions in the lower levels, but may just give the convection a bit of a kick.

That's increased upper cloud due to a slight upper shortwave. It will not change the conditions in the lower levels, but may just give the convection a bit of a kick.

What do you mean? Is it a band of rain or showers??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Keep an eye out your window, thats what i do now, best forecast around

We really need the temp to drop and these showers to last longer tbh. t seems since 2010 its been impossible just to get a bloody covering, is it too much to ask for.

Even 1cm.

In the heaviest showers it will continue to be what it's been - snow - but otherwise rain, hail or sleet.

I would imagine...

alright.

• Advertisement

In the heaviest showers it will continue to be what it's been - snow - but otherwise rain, hail or sleet.

I would imagine...

The upper feature has not actually made any difference at all. It's almost passed over and no change in precipitation. Heavy drizzle at Donegal Airport!

SPECI EIDL 101703Z AUTO 28031G45KT 6000 +DZ FEW016 SCT028 BKN045 05/01 Q1013=

...and as you were at the synops

Its on coast though. 2c here.

Where are you snowinwinter?

Are you in Antrim or Derry? Near Coleraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Have had snow showers on and off all day but not sticking, since 18.00 temp has dropped and dew point has been rising, currently 0.9C dp -1.8C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I looked up "dew point" but can someone explain it to me and especially how it affects whether we get snow or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

I looked up "dew point" but can someone explain it to me and especially how it affects whether we get snow or not.

Good snow guide here. There's a section about dew points.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447334

Ballypatrick Forest (156 m) is now showing snow now along with Lough Fea (225 m), but Glennane (161 m) has turned back to rain. Rain or hail at every other synop and airport station in Ireland. Dewpoints in Ulster are on the whole around a degree up on earlier, with Castlederg the only one below zero (-0.3 °C).

So there are no photos of all these places that got low-level snow today? I only saw one from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

Its on coast though. 2c here.

Whats your location?

Tbh its gone to a very wet snow but its going from wet snow to dry snow to graupel, the constant stream of showers will cause temps to decrease and dew points to increase.

Don't really care now as long as I seen some snow. Now hopefully the snow on Tuesday actually lies, getting a bit flipped off now.

• Advertisement

It is really important but also the wet bulb is important. I think two weeks ago I had rain at 1c and a negative dew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement