Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Thundersnow? Two of my favourite words joined together to create a dream weather event!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I hope this comes to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Beautiful almost early summer like day here in South Cork city. ..boo

Summer like? Max temp today was around 7 degrees!

I know our summers are fairly ****e but come on.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 3 degree drop in Belmullet this hour on the 1700 reports its down to 4 degrees from 7 degrees with a gust of 49kts and a moderate shower. I think it could be a very interesting 24 hours :):). dew point at Knock is -1

The TAF for knock is showing that between 0600-1500 tomorrow visibility will be 500 meters with Snow showers and a cloud base of just 100ft. so any snow lovers that want to see some fairly decent showers Knock would not be a bad option tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

I live in kerry 140m Asl .Whats the chance of seeing some show in the next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

kmoneill wrote: »
    I live in kerry 140m Asl .Whats the chance of seeing some show in the next 48 hours.

very good chance.. look at the warning - http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork Kerry border, not too far from Limerick border, 198m ASL, I presume I will wake up to a white 13th January :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork Kerry border, not too far from Limerick border, 198m ASL, I presume I will wake up to a white 13th January :D

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest Euro 4

00 to 6 am

15011306_1212.gif

6 am to 12 pm

15011312_1212.gif

12 pm - 6 pm

15011318_1212.gif

6 pm - 00 Wednesday

15011400_1212.gif

• Advertisement

The latest from met eireann on radio 1 in 2 minutes for those near a radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

GFS 12z looking good, now just push a bit further east...
    gfs-2-24.png?12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Nra website Gweedore down to 1.4c, shower overhead

Latest Euro 4

Never have i loved the colour pink so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Do you think Laois will get any?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Summer like? Max temp today was around 7 degrees!

I know our summers are fairly ****e but come on.......

Lol. Yes I realise I should have said it was only 7° but from the inside looking out it did have that certain feel to it. .

an excellent forecast from Joanna donelly on radio 1 there, long story short, west and north west snow showers. east/south east mostly dry. and yes THUNDERSNOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Snow chance for Cork City? Or too far east?

an excellent forecast from Joanna donelly on radio 1 there, long story short, west and north west snow showers. east/south east mostly dry. and yes THUNDERSNOW!!

:-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Very good 850 hpa chart for midday tomorrow.

15011312_2_1212.gif

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Snow chance for Cork City? Or too far east?

looks good leahyl. definitely a lot colder this evening. fingers crossed.

I reckon a line roughly down from Derry to Dungarvan , roughly speaking, anywhere west of that plenty of chances to see snow, east of it not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

looks good leahyl. definitely a lot colder this evening. fingers crossed.

Might have to come whest along the road a bit. I could be wrong tho!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,378 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Nra website Gweedore down to 1.4c, shower overhead
    N2 Monaghan road temp down to 1.4C too. Getting cold even in the eastern parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Great video from the Met office detailing snow accumulation for Ireland. As a rule half the projection for a more accurate depth. Shows lots of Ireland under a covering

[URL="[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wza569RpKMw[/url]"][/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wza569RpKMw

Yaaaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'm going to be a Scrooge and ignore this warning, no joy for me from any of the previous snow warnings this winter.:(
    Some accumulations would be nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Will be lots of slushy deposits that will melt between showers, but where you get into a convergence line you will be laughing, and any bit of elevation will help, could be widespread cover tomorrow night

1800 reports,3degrees at Knock....Sleet showers.....its getting nearer and nearer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

MT Cranium is underestimating this short snap I think. Most areas away from the immediate coast should see at least 3/4cm tomorrow, up to 8 in the luckier areas (and obviously more over high ground). 850s down to about -8, 500s down to -40, pressure very low and wind not that strong - good combination for instability. Thundersnow a real possibility also. A WSW flow is a lot better for eastern areas than a W or NW flow, so there could be a dusting here also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement