Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Old

Options

Comments

I remember having a black and white portable tv and there was no such thing as a remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I remember having a black and white portable tv and there was no such thing as a remote control.

I remember when there was no TV at all.. it was great..family life was family

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I see these kids now with "Jive" printed on their shirts. Pftt... Now, I can teach you how you're supposed to say "jive". You *jive* turkey. See? You got to sass it. Quit *jivin'* me, turkey. You got to sass it.

A "turkey" is a bad person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I see these kids now with "Jive" printed on their shirts. Pftt... Now, I can teach you how you're supposed to say "jive". You *jive* turkey. See? You got to sass it. Quit *jivin'* me, turkey. You got to sass it.

A "turkey" is a bad person.

'Said, brother. It appears that the bitches are tripping over something-or-other, and possibly have no grooves in their hips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Actually I find the opposite.. it is the best thing. People have far fewer expectations of me than they did when I was young. Fewer obligations too... Most folk are kinder to me.

It was a quote from a fictional movie, not an opinion of the poster. The film was The Straight Story.
    But I agree that it is not true. I look back on my youth with fondness. I also look forward to the future with positivity. Being in my 20s in 1960s Ireland was no barrel of laughs but we didn't have much in the way of peer pressure nor consumerism. College in the 60s was a serious affair with none of the "student experience" enjoyed today. Raising a family through the recession of the 70s and 80s was difficult but at least we were able to enjoy middle age through the boom and plan for our retirement at a bumper time.
    Age is a state of mind. Keeping active, keeping healthy, always learning and enjoying relationships, family and friends causes the years to fly by happily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

From the same (beautiful, wonderful) film, when asked about what's good about getting old:

"...at my age I've seen about all that life has to dish out. I know to separate the wheat from the chaff, and let the small stuff fall away. "

Hope that redeems me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I'm 23 and I have so many friends who have their lives planned out, when they are going to get married to their current partners, when they will have their first kid, buy a house etc...

I'm just sitting here not knowing about my future. My main goal at the moment is to get settled into a career that I want and will enjoy and to not move home to my parents.

I'm not worrying about when I'm going to find a guy, settle down, pop out kids....I don't even know if I want kids.

Although with all the frenzy going on with friends its making me doubt where I'm going in life. It annoys me that they ask why I haven't I met someone etc but finding a man isn't my main goal, don't get me wrong it would be nice to meet someone and start a relationship but at the moment I'm trying to find a career. I'm not like my friends where they met the love of their lives at 14 or bounce from relationship to relationship with a few weeks single in between each one.

I have plenty of time to figure it out. I don't feel old (most of the time) but I don't feel that young either.

Op give yourself a break your still young. Why give yourself a time frame or compare yourself to others? You'll just stress out about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

When I was young the only phone we had was one that you had to dial by turning a round thing, you stuck your finger in the hole where the number you wanted was and turned it round. The TV was black and white and you had to change the channel by turning a dial. As you turned it, the picture would change to static before a new channel appeared. And I had never even heard of the internet.

herisson wrote: »
    I'm 23 and I have so many friends who have their lives planned out, when they are going to get married to their current partners, when they will have their first kid, buy a house etc...

It annoys me that they ask why I haven't I met someone

I'm not like my friends where they met the love of their lives at 14 or bounce from relationship to relationship with a few weeks single in between each one.

Your friends are morons. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Your friends are morons. :pac:

Tell me something I don't know :pac:

When I do actually meet someone they deem him age inappropriate.....because he more than 2 years older than me....pfft older men are hot I can't help it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Fuq it I'd love to be 23 - most of your life ahead of ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

10 years ago I was 28.

10 years ago I was 36.

I've got hemorrhoids older than the OP.

osarusan wrote: »
    From the same (beautiful, wonderful) film, when asked about what's good about getting old:

"...at my age I've seen about all that life has to dish out. I know to separate the wheat from the chaff, and let the small stuff fall away. "

Hope that redeems me!
    No redemption necessary. It was valid to use a quote on old age. There are many things said that hold true and many that don't. It all depends on your outlook.

herisson wrote: »
    pfft older men are hot I can't help it :pac:

Hi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When I was young the only phone we had was one that you had to dial by turning a round thing, you stuck your finger in the hole where the number you wanted was and turned it round. The TV was black and white and you had to change the channel by turning a dial. As you turned it, the picture would change to static before a new channel appeared. And I had never even heard of the internet.

Does anyone remember 'party lines' - not stuff you say at social gatherings, but a phone shared between 2 neighbours (usually someone you didnt get on with). You had to count the rings or something to know was the call for you or them. Then politely say ' I think there is someone else on the line' so they would stop listening in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

looksee wrote: »
    Does anyone remember 'party lines' - not stuff you say at social gatherings, but a phone shared between 2 neighbours (usually someone you didnt get on with). You had to count the rings or something to know was the call for you or them. Then politely say ' I think there is someone else on the line' so they would stop listening in :D

This is What I think when I hear party line

http://youtu.be/7pGcE7IvCTs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

just make sure that all your friends are at least 5 years older than you, then your grand!

So modern! The first phone I used had a handle on the side that you cranked and waited for an operator, who connected you. The first TV was a 9 inch screen in a Bakelite cabinet with vertical and horizontal holds that had a mind if their known.
    Now I do feel old. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

You're either alive or dead. How much life is ahead of you should be irrelevant your happiness now.

There's nothing inherently better about life that is ahead of you than life right now. Life is as good as it gets right now.

There is some truth to what your saying, but if you look at the likelihood of certain things happening, it's much better to be young. If you're 10 years old, ugly and dumb; you've still got hope. You might go through puberty and come out attractive. You might apply yourself and study and become a very smart individual.

The older you get, the more likely it is that your current lot in life will be the only lot in life. If you're poor at 30, odds are exceedingly high you'll still be poor at 40. But if you're poor at 20, that means very little.

Take sports - if you aren't an amazing athlete by age 20, you'll almost certainly never be. Nobody takes up weightlifting at 45 and wins the Olympics.

At 50, it's pretty easy to predict what your life will be like at 80, assuming you are still alive. At 20, there are endless possibilities.

I think that's why it's depressing for most people to be old. When we're young, we just assume things will be great. But then when you're old, you realize they won't be.

I'd like to be 29 forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

growing old is mandatory..

Growing up is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

The whole getting older thing is a strange one. I think it's easy to forget that as you get older, it shouldn't mean that you have less enjoyment in your life. I'm 28 now and things are obviously different than when I was 21, but I've been 21 already and my friends have got older with me. I see groups of 60 year olds in pubs having as much craic as I had in a pub at 18. Always remember to ensure you have time to enjoy yourself in life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Whenever a younger person looks at me pityingly because I'm "old", I think to myself: "well, I made it to this age. It remains to be seen whether you will".

[grin]

As well as the Gardai all looking young, they treat you so politely when you are over 70.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ROAAAR wrote: »
    ...I see groups of 60 year olds in pubs having as much craic as I had in a pub at 18. Always remember to ensure you have time to enjoy yourself in life :)

'Kin right they are. Most of the over 60s I know have four pensions, at least two houses and a Mercedes the size of a canal-barge for the golf clubs. Rock on, daddyo. :cool: :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I recently got offered a seat on the LUAS for the first time. Feckers.
    /UngreatfulOulGoat

If any issues raised in this thread have affected you there is a Boards forum that can help. Please call to Oulwans & Oulfellas.
    Bring a bottle.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I recently got offered a seat on the LUAS for the first time. Feckers.
    /UngreatfulOulGoat

If any issues raised in this thread have affected you there is a Boards forum that can help. Please call to Oulwans & Oulfellas.
    Bring a bottle.

Had a look at that but gee! They are all so OLD! I am only 71....would die of boredom over there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Oh don't let the wrinkles fool ya. We can get pretty rumbustious when we swap meds or the sherry gets passed around.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Oh don't let the wrinkles fool ya. We can get pretty rumbustious when we swap meds or the sherry gets passed around.

:rolleyes:actually I think it is healthier mind wise to be in a varied age group than all together the same age....an old folks home would see me dead in a week. I need the edge I get up here on the mountain, warts and all. Having to light the fire and bring coal in rather than switching oil heating on YOU know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Well, I did the Leaving Certificate in a previous millennium so I definitely am fossilised.

Me too. Were we in the same class? :pac:

Advertisement