Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Old

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I want to live my next life backwards :

You start out dead and get that out of the way.

Then you wake up in an old age home feeling better every day.

Then you get kicked out for being too healthy. Enjoy your retirement and collect your pension.

Then when you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day.

You work 40 years until you're too young to work.

You get ready for High School : drink alcohol, party, and you're generally promiscuous.

Then you go to primary school, you become a kid, you play, and you have no responsibilities.

Then you become a baby, and then...

You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in Spa-like conditions - central heating, room service on tap, and then...

You finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case :pac:

Brilliant :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You know you are getting old when all of the following happened closer to your birth date than today is from it (thanks to another recent thread):

The Irish Free State was established, The Lie Detector was invented, The League of Nations was established, The first commercial radio broadcast was aired, Prohibition began in the US and women were granted the right to vote in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

- that I had very little in common with my fellow East Galwaymen.

I always wondered about your posts criticizing Ireland and having a low opinion of the people you know from there, All is forgiven now I know where your from! (and this is not meant ironically)

Personally I don't feel old, I feel young enough and can still handle a serious session and have no aches or pains, hairs all gone but also in better shape than my early 20's.
    What gets to me though is long term stuff, its fine not owning a house at 31 or having a secure career, whats not so fine is having no idea how you can ever achieve this (eg not having any sort of realistic career path or plan), thats fine at 25 but now its worrying.

That said taking this year to use some the advantages of my job and take up a nomadic lifestyle properly and do the things I meant to before I turned 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

realies wrote: »
    I am 53

And still young at heart Sir. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One word: Presbyopia. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

catallus wrote: »
    The wilful blindness to the futility of fighting one's senescence is a sad indication of our baleful and craven bowing to our ultimate state of perdition!

For shame!!!

Are you having a seizure of some sort? should we seek medical attention for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm 24 but I feel like I'm just pretending to be an adult tbh. Life's too fecking short to be worrying about your age, I have friends who have their lives planned out, what age they'll get married, what age they'll have babies etc and that is just far too depressing to think about for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Life is funny. I was born in 1969 and I can very clearly remember starting secondary school and thinking about how old I'd be at the turn of the century.

I'm now 45, married, 3 kids. I've studied and travelled and partied. Still feel like I have plenty of living to do.

I think that younger people now are caught. The world is so very fast. Social media holds everybody else's life up for comparison to their own, most of it is probably made up. I studied in a recession(80's) so expectations were lower. Expectations and demands are higher now and younger people will perhaps burn out sooner. It's very difficult not to think you're missing out on something when everyone you know is plastering their achievements across Facebook and the like.

I would encourage younger people to step back a little from social media. A lot of it is fake and not representative of real live. Live live before you really are old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Pig Ignorant Paddy

I'm the same age as Stephen Gerard and he is coming to the 'twilight of this career'. I've accepted that I probably won't get a trial with Liverpool at this stage. This is the type of acceptance that comes with the wisdom of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

I know I said about being in my current job a year today, but I didn't mean it that I felt old being there a year. I just meant how quickly time goes by, and it is hard to believe that 10 years have passed by since I left secondary school. I do feel that I need to catch up on certain things that others my age may have done already. A bit of travelling is something that I would like to do. Not for too long or anything like that, but to be able to say I visited this place and that place would give me a sense of accomplishment.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Today, I was added to a Facebook group by a school friend of mine to mark 10 years since our graduation from secondary school. Yeah, it's made me feel kind of old. I'm also a year in my current job today, so time certainly does fly.

Did you graduate when you were 40 you maudlin w@nk?

I remember getting all morose when I turned 29 and then the following year I was in bed with women of all ages and colours over the course of a belting summer.
    Your travel pass is in the mail, Gandalf!

10 years ago I was 28.

Fcuking baby!

Today, I was added to a Facebook group by a school friend of mine to mark 10 years since our graduation from secondary school. Yeah, it's made me feel kind of old. I'm also a year in my current job today, so time certainly does fly.

You blab about facebook, you ungrateful turd!!!
    I was on the internet sending emails to people via a college VAX mainframe over BITNET and posting to UseNET in 1988 when you were still defecating in your cot and your ma was listening to Kylie.
    Go 3D print your fcuking zimmer frame, stub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I know I said about being in my current job a year today, but I didn't mean it that I felt old being there a year. I just meant how quickly time goes by, and it is hard to believe that 10 years have passed by since I left secondary school. I do feel that I need to catch up on certain things that others my age may have done already. A bit of travelling is something that I would like to do. Not for too long or anything like that, but to be able to say I visited this place and that place would give me a sense of accomplishment.

Travel far and wide for a year and see as much as you can, but for some strange reason when I hit 40 time went by so fast it's like christmas is every six months instead of a year. It's a bit strange but time actually does seem to speed-up the older you get for me anyway.

Who cares about travelling just to say to some-one that you seen this or that, just travel far and wide for as long as you can and enjoy it all, because you don't want to look back at when you were in your 20's and didn't do it. Best time to travel the world is the 20's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

When you remember the end of the war, it sure does make you feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

When my Dad died, I remember the consultant telling me Dad really should have died 16 years earlier. He had won so many health battles he had no right to win. And simply because he had such a fantastic outlook & attitude to life. So whenever another birthday passes and I think to myself "feck!". I think of my dad and say "Fúck it, life is too short." Enjoy today, cherish friends & family and stop worrying about next year. Your age is but a number, not a prison sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Pwindedd wrote: »
    She can't vote in a referendum though, neither can I - we're both British.

We'd love to vote on SSM but can't :-(

I'm Dutch so all I can do is vote in European and Local elections. I'd love to be able to vote on SSM myself, too. 20 years after it was introduced in the Netherlands their society STILL hasn't collapsed! Go figure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

As an avid gamer, I'm starting to feel my reflexes and accuracy ain't what it used to be....

Damn you old age!

And I'm only 30! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Egginacup wrote: »
    I was on the internet sending emails to people via a college VAX mainframe over BITNET and posting to UseNET in 1988 when you were still defecating in your cot and your ma was listening to Kylie.
    u ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Same boat as yourself OP. Out of school just over 10 years and starting to feel old in the last year or two. I think it's less to do with my age though and more to do with being on the wrong career path, sucking the life out of me.

We should collaborate on a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"The worst thing about being old, is remembering when you was young."

Name the film this line is from, no googling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Christ, if you feel old, where does that leave me? :eek:
    Older ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

osarusan wrote: »

Shrek 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

The Straight Story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The Straight Story

Congratulations! You win 3 internet points!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Turned 50 while I was in college, got a job I loved and retired at 65, loads of things still to do, I'm not going to stop yet for a while.

I remember getting all morose when I turned 29 and then the following year I was in bed with women of all ages and colours over the course of a belting summer.
    Your travel pass is in the mail, Gandalf!
    Fcuking baby!

Mod

I can't quite make out if you are trying to be funny or just being a dick, but I can tell you that it is coming across as the latter so if you could keep an eye on your posting style that'd be just dandy. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP, I met someone I was at school with when my husband and I were out over Christmas. He was talking about an upcoming school reunion and I realised it's been 23 years since I did my leaving cert. Really weird to be talking to someone you remember as a bit of a class joker who is now grey bearded.:(

You are still a spring chicken! I did O levels in 1959 and went to university in 1961.. there is one contact I still have from my first teaching post which is amazing in itself... but hey! Old age is fine in so many ways

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Actually I find the opposite.. it is the best thing. People have far fewer expectations of me than they did when I was young. Fewer obligations too... Most folk are kinder to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That makes you all of what, 27? 28? They grow up so fast these days. So is it a Ducati or a Porsche Sir will be having for his mid-life crisis? :pac:

Advertisement