Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Old

Options
  • 06-01-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

Today, I was added to a Facebook group by a school friend of mine to mark 10 years since our graduation from secondary school. Yeah, it's made me feel kind of old. I'm also a year in my current job today, so time certainly does fly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Cool story, bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

When is your book out OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Christ, if you feel old, where does that leave me? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

hahahahahahahahaha, 10 years, I wish I was only 10 years out of school.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aww bless.

• Advertisement

Thanks OP :'(­ last year I got invited to my secondary school 25th year anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Let us know when you start growing hair in your ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

10 years ago I was 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yer only a duckling. Wait til yer 10 years out of college! Woah, now that is positively ancient*

* in the opinion of most internet forum users who seem to be forever 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Oh yeah.

Well I remember when all of this was just fields

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Well I remember having to plug the phone out to use the internet. Young people today have no idea have good they have it, rabble, rabble,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

OP when it's 53 years since your Leaving Cert (we only gaduated when we got our degrees in those days) then perhaps you can start to feel old but it's not guaranteed as I have yet to feel old.
    A whole year in a job? Wow! You should set up on your own now as a consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I went to my ten year reunion a few years ago. A really tragic affair. Most of the men looked to be 5-10 years older than their actual age. Bulging beer bellies, receeding hairlines, tired and dead looking eyes. Most hadn't managed to make much of their lives. The whole thing was a waste of time and only underlined and reinforced what I knew then - that I had very little in common with my fellow East Galwaymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

OP, I met someone I was at school with when my husband and I were out over Christmas. He was talking about an upcoming school reunion and I realised it's been 23 years since I did my leaving cert. Really weird to be talking to someone you remember as a bit of a class joker who is now grey bearded.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 59,555 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Well, I did the Leaving Certificate in a previous millennium so I definitely am fossilised.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

OP - you're just a decade out of school and presumably still in your twenties. Wait until you are 21 years out of school like myself and rapidly approaching 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Op?
    No sign of the OP. He must be so old that he forgot he started this thread.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Just remember OP, every day is a day closer to death!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

I'm 12,394 days old. Jus' sayin'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I feel considerably younger now that I've read this thread. Feel like such an oul wan, sometimes it's nice to be reminded that these are the best years of my life :/

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Today, I was added to a Facebook group by a school friend of mine to mark 10 years since our graduation from secondary school. Yeah, it's made me feel kind of old. I'm also a year in my current job today, so time certainly does fly.

Your forum birthday is the only one that matters OP, the years before that don't count. So happy 2nd birthday in April....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

10 years ago I was 28.

How old are you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I'm 12,394 days old. Jus' sayin'.

Sure you're only a nipper :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's probably stupid to say about feeling "old," but I'm just thinking about those I was in school with, or who I hung around with that are of similar age, who are married with kids and are home owners. I guess I just feel like I need to get my arse in gear, find myself a girl and settle down. It won't be long until I'm in my 30s, but hopefully by then, one or two or maybe all of the above will have been achieved.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    It's probably stupid to say about feeling "old," but I'm just thinking about those I was in school with, or who I hung around with that are of similar age, who are married with kids and are home owners. I guess I just feel like I need to get my arse in gear, find myself a girl and settle down. It won't be long until I'm in my 30s, but hopefully by then, one or two or maybe all of the above will have been achieved.

Ah jaysus you're depressing me here! Why does everyone wanted to be married off by 30 and having all the babies?

Calm your tits! You're not that much older than me, you're scaring me!

I just want to do a bit a travelling, play the field and then we'll see. Can't be bothered putting that sort of pressure on myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Yeh it's not so much the case anymore now to have all those things achieved by 30. From what I've observed anyway. People tend to be a good bit into their 30s now when they settle down (relationship, kids, mortgage).

Yeh it's not so much the case anymore now to have all those things achieved by 30. From what I've observed anyway. People tend to be a good bit into their 30s now when they settle down (relationship, kids, mortgage).

One of the girls in my office is panicking because she's 26 and doesn't have a mortgage yet. Twenty-****ing-six!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Why is it always young people who talk about being old ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm hip

as in hip replacement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Why is it always young people who talk about being old ?

Because older people don't want to be reminded of the inexorable day-by-day journey toward death.

Have a great day! :)

Advertisement