Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E2.50 pints should be outlawed, says FG TD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Grams was meant I assume.

D'OH. it should of course be 10g. in the uk is it measured in ml so that confused me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What volume (%) is that 10grams at?

CramCycle wrote: »
    What volume (%) is that 10grams at?

not sure what you mean. that 10g could be in half a pint of beer at 4.3% or 25ml of whiskey at 40%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Beano wrote: »
    not sure what you mean. that 10g could be in half a pint of beer at 4.3% or 25ml of whiskey at 40%.

My bad, 10 grams of pure alcohol is what they mean, I thought with the earlier discussion people were referring to 10ml/grams of a random drink which sounded stupid but it turns out I am just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Grayson wrote: »
    And after googling more, pubs in the UK have the option of 25 or 35. In Ireland it's only 35.
    Actually they can serve whatever they like here.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    They can serve any size they like as long as they tell you the price of 35.5ml and charge on a pro-rata basis.

25ml is the normal measure in the UK but there's no low preventing Irish bars selling 25ml measures.

Discussed recently here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

To be honest, we pretty much already have minimum pricing on booze here, in that the cheapest stuff all starts at around the same price. I was in the UK a few weeks back and I think it was Asda had Asda own brand beer for 60p a can. Even allowing for exchange rate there is a big difference between 60p a can which becomes about 77 cent and the cheapest you can find a can for in Ireland which is about 1.19? 42 cent difference?

We are being screwed.

syklops wrote: »
    To be honest, we pretty much already have minimum pricing on booze here, in that the cheapest stuff all starts at around the same price. I was in the UK a few weeks back and I think it was Asda had Asda own brand beer for 60p a can. Even allowing for exchange rate there is a big difference between 60p a can which becomes about 77 cent and the cheapest you can find a can for in Ireland which is about 1.19? 42 cent difference?

We are being screwed.
    Go to Lidl. Dunnes sometimes also have their own own-brand beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dunnes beer. might as well be drinking tesco gin. Classy ;)

i'm sure its no worse than asda brand beer.

My friends are awfully classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Is the beer ok like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Is the beer ok like?

Yeah, beer is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I shop around, my numbers were based on what I've experienced. Stella Artois in Tesco, 500ml, 4%, E1.19.

St Etienne in Aldi is 12.69 for 12 cans which is 1.04 a can which is good value and decent beer as well. That is the absolute cheapest though, and still a bit a difference between 1.04 and 77 in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

syklops wrote: »
    I shop around, my numbers were based on what I've experienced. Stella Artois in Tesco, 500ml, 4%, E1.19.

St Etienne in Aldi is 12.69 for 12 cans which is 1.04 a can which is good value and decent beer as well. That is the absolute cheapest though, and still a bit a difference between 1.04 and 77 in the UK.

Excelsior is less than a euro a can, so is Tesco lager.

Bear in mind that the own brand lagers in the uk tend to be less than 3% abv. you get what you pay for i.e. water.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

should a minimum price be set for the likes of Jim McDaid , who could well afford it at the moment. Perhaps €25 for TD's and ministers for a pint ?

remember this drive down the duel carriage way ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Davei141 wrote: »
    Excelsior is less than a euro a can, so is Tesco lager.

I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ahhh 2005 the good oul days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

2smiggy wrote: »
    should a minimum price be set for the likes of Jim McDaid , who could well afford it at the moment. Perhaps €25 for TD's and ministers for a pint ?

No, it's just for us plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Ah, what a classic episode from our glorious political life.

I like to think the ghost of John Candy accompanied McDaid on the Newbridge Road that night.

• Advertisement

My friends are awfully Klassy.

Fixed it ;)

I'm off to drink paint thinner. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A minimum of a lifetime ban from driving more like. He was even offered a helicopter ride home that night, but thought it better to take the car. The mind boggles.

mzungu wrote: »
    A minimum of a lifetime ban from driving more like. He was even offered a helicopter ride home that night, but thought it better to take the car. The mind boggles.

If i were that drunk I'd spew in a helicopter.

Probably safer to drive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I went to post a link of the below (Wetherspoons January Sale) onto Mitchell O'Connors facebook page, unfortunately the type of page she has set up, wont allow me! Edit, see my post below!

1505340_848449005194381_1568597254304787039_n.png?oh=5abc46aad0b755cb6c292af7667df7b4&oe=55370D72&__gda__=1429747689_da2e97cc0cdcf500dad1f354cbbac987

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

If i were that drunk I'd spew in a helicopter.

Probably safer to drive :pac:

Ah well, you would always be able to brag about that time you were so wasted you spewed out the side window of your helecopter after a night out :D
    Now thats proper Celtic Tiger indulgence:p

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I went to post a link of the below (Wetherspoons January Sale) onto Mitchell O'Connors facebook page, unfortunately the type of page she has set up, wont allow me!

1505340_848449005194381_1568597254304787039_n.png?oh=5abc46aad0b755cb6c292af7667df7b4&oe=55370D72&__gda__=1429747689_da2e97cc0cdcf500dad1f354cbbac987

They would get me in there for the cheap coffee alone.

right on her page, she already has made a comment on minimum pricing, so I have put that picture below it, feel free to reply to her comments on her page (others already have)...

https://www.facebook.com/mary.mitchelloconnor

She has received 3 likes for her minimum unit pricing post, follow the likes and no doubt you will find 3 local publicans!

I wish there was a Wetherspoons near me. :(

me too!

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    right on her page, she already has made a comment on minimum pricing, so I have put that picture below it, feel free to reply to her comments on her page (others already have)...

https://www.facebook.com/mary.mitchelloconnor

She has received 3 likes for her minimum unit pricing post, follow the likes and no doubt you will find 3 local publicans!

3 likes and 4 comments. and all the comments are completely against what she posted.

Advertisement