Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham Festival 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Champion Chase Entries:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Denman2008

Any word on Flemenstar? Not entered for Cheltenham anyway, thought he was due back around February

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody know a decent site for up to date ratings on horses. Looking at trends for the handicaps now and trying to narrow them down. Probably a bit early but doing nothing till Monday so want to put a bit of study in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Cue Card at 10/1 for the Ryanair is a savage price in my opinion.
    Thought the blinkers regarding him going for the Gold Cup would never come off but they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alba Frere

Does anyone know why Felix Yonger didn't get an entry in the QM or the Ryanair? Won the Hilly Way at Mallow back in November and hasn't ran since afaik. Strange that Turban has an entry to the QM and FY is rated higher. Anyone know what the story with him is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭oPATCHo

Cue Card at 10/1 for the Ryanair is a savage price in my opinion.
    Thought the blinkers regarding him going for the Gold Cup would never come off but they have.

Think this is a great price! Yes, he has a few questions to answer. However he's a number better horse at Cheltenham and over this trip

If they can get him up there near his peak.... game over

I'm on

Alba Frere wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Felix Yonger didn't get an entry in the QM or the Ryanair? Won the Hilly Way at Mallow back in November and hasn't ran since afaik. Strange that Turban has an entry to the QM and FY is rated higher. Anyone know what the story with him is?

He's rated higher than Ballycasey aswell even. FY is a decent horse and should have ran Arkle last year but for WPM separating him and Champagne Fever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Good spot on Felix Yonger, interesting absentee from the Cheltenham entries. Could be an injury?

Cue Card in 2013 form would be a great bet for the Ryanair at 10/1. But his last 3 runs and basically since he's injury, he hasn't looked the same horse. If he was 100/1 for the Ryanair, I wouldn't be risking more than a euro or two!

Can't understand the people who want Apache Stronghold stepped down in trip and Don Poli stepped up in trip. The 2 horses finished well clear of a strong field over 3m in a Grade 1. It looks blindingly obvious that both these horses are 3 milers. Don Poli has way too much class to be running in the Ryanair. Likewise Apace Stronghold ran much better over 3m at Leopardstown than he did over 2m 4f at Fairyhouse. There's nothing between these horses and both should run in the RSA.

Champagne Fever should not be ruled out of staying races just yet. He ran a fine race in the King George and looked one paced to me - not outstayed. If I didn't know that horse's history then on the basis of the King George, I'd be saying he needs stepping up in trip!

I also agree the JLT looks strong with Valseur Lido and Ptit Zig amongst the possible runners, possibly Gilgamboa too, but I'd still fancy Vautour more for the Arkle than the JLT. I reckon Vautour will run in the Irish Arkle and a win will seal his target.

The Racing Post website has the latest OR for horses however these will change when the weights for the handicaps get released. Also be aware some Irish trained runners have in the past been harshly treated by the English handicapper and their Irish mark may not be what the English handicapper gives them.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody know a decent site for up to date ratings on horses. Looking at trends for the handicaps now and trying to narrow them down. Probably a bit early but doing nothing till Monday so want to put a bit of study in.

My only rule for the handicaps last year was cross out every irish horse. The English handicapper murdered all the irish horses after what happened 2 years ago & they will continue to run off higher marks than they should at the festival.

Don Poli has way too much class to be running in the Ryanair.

I think you meant the 4 miler right? But I 100% agree. It will be beyond a joke if DP runs the 4m, it's bad enough that Vautour will (IMO) run the JLT. Personally I think DP will run RSA because Gigginstown will step in. Clarcam is their Arkle horse, V Lido the JLT and DP the RSA. This will mean Vautour and VL will clash but unlike with UDS there is no conflict there with Ruby so it's less of a problem. It makes you wonder what will happen in the next couple years when UDS, Vautour, VL and DP are no longer novices, perhaps Annie Power and maybe Douvan or Alvisio Ville will go chasing and there is already Champagne Fever. What will WPM do then?? Run Vautour in the Kim Muir for chrissakes?!

• Advertisement

Cue Card in 2013 form would be a great bet for the Ryanair at 10/1. But his last 3 runs and basically since he's injury, he hasn't looked the same horse. If he was 100/1 for the Ryanair, I wouldn't be risking more than a euro or two!

Well of course it would be a great bet, didn't he win it by a canter in 2013!
    Back on his track, his ground, and with 2 and a half months to get his jumping tuned up....
    First run of the season was irrelevant.
    Haydock was poor yes, never jumped a yard.
    Nothing was beating SC in Kempton that day, especially if you tried to go toe to toe with him.
    I'll take all of the 100/1 thats going!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Vautour should be running in the Arkle, and id imagine he will. I hope to be there watching with a smile, clutching my 8/1 bet and laughing. :D

Ruby wont have any doubts who to be on, as UDS is as far as we know nothing really special, whose running style and jumping probably wont suit that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

aidankkk wrote: »
    Vautour should be running in the Arkle, and id imagine he will. I hope to be there watching with a smile, clutching my 8/1 bet and laughing. :D

Ruby wont have any doubts who to be on, as UDS is as far as we know nothing really special, whose running style and jumping probably wont suit that race.

Agree and UDS is on my opinion a soft ground horse. I dont think Cheltenham will suit him at all.

Vatour runs in the arkle and wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Carrigmoorna rock for the mares hurdle.
    Very impressive the last day, a horse that looks likely to stay 3 miles but has won over 2 miles and 2 miles 4F, no problem with better ground and will appreciate the stiff finish, great e/w shout that could end up outstaying them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Is Cue Card definitely going Ryanair? Obviously easy to pick holes in UDS given he's beat little and already fallen but while there's been horses such as Overturn who've been found out in Arkle, I'm fairly confident UDS is a freak, a level above such horses and will have any horse outside their comfort zone with his style of running. He has to go to Cheltenham given last year too and is limited to the race.

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Is Cue Card definitely going Ryanair? Obviously easy to pick holes in UDS given he's beat little and already fallen but while there's been horses such as Overturn who've been found out in Arkle, I'm fairly confident UDS is a freak, a level above such horses and will have any horse outside their comfort zone with his style of running. He has to go to Cheltenham given last year too and is limited to the race.

According to Tizzard today he is, acceptance that he's not the Gold Cup horse.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=5748224&category=0

According to Tizzard today he is, acceptance that he's not the Gold Cup horse.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=5748224&category=0

About time. Only time he won over "3m" was the Haydock farce

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

don't think cue card looks the same horse this year anyway, been disappointing in every run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Joe got on really well with him, might be the jockey change either.
    By the way that is lunacy saying Cue Card isn't a bet at 100/1, 10s looks decent.
    Don Poli has way too much class to be running in the Ryanair.

My, oh my, oh my. Poli is already better than Imperial Commander, Cue Card, Albertas Run, Dynaste and Riverside Theatre?

jimjamcos wrote: »

Tad harsh on Overturn, I think he career caught up with him, he got stuffed in the champion and then beaten by Special Tiara and hasnt been seen since.

UDS is a complete tool, I am expecting a massive performance from him.

• Advertisement

Worst news ever :(

http://www.attheraces.com/article.aspx?hlid=550584&lid=&raceid=&title=Simonsig+set+to+miss+season&ref=PA+Racing+Feed&nav=&sub=&day=Thu

My favourite horse in training stolen from me for at least 2 years :mad::mad:

Yea I probably am to be fair. Considering he did what he did under the weight if being trained by Donald McCain, I take it back, he was a superstar!

Shemale wrote: »
    Worst news ever :(

http://www.attheraces.com/article.aspx?hlid=550584&lid=&raceid=&title=Simonsig+set+to+miss+season&ref=PA+Racing+Feed&nav=&sub=&day=Thu

My favourite horse in training stolen from me for at least 2 years :mad::mad:

He's gone at the game. Will never be back Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

sire de grugy at 5/1 looks the safest ew bet of the festival
    that could be some price if ss doesn't return the same horse

mailburner wrote: »
    sire de grugy at 5/1 looks the safest ew bet of the festival
    that could be some price if ss doesn't return the same horse

Don't forget he had a leg, I would be worried about that.

I was thinking of doing probably Uxizandre 16/1 (or maybe Dodging Bullets) as win bets and win without the fav. Uxi led them a merry dance at Cheltenham and Dodging has really franked the form since, it wouldn't be that unusual to see a JP owned AP ridden horse dot in at double figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

Looking at heading over for gold cup day, does anyone know if a flight to Birmingham that arrives at 9:05am be enough time? I'd imagine most of the people on the flight would be making their way to the racecourse so could taxi share if the buses are no good. Looks like the last national express one leaves at 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Dunston wrote: »
    Looking at heading over for gold cup day, does anyone know if a flight to Birmingham that arrives at 9:05am be enough time? I'd imagine most of the people on the flight would be making their way to the racecourse so could taxi share if the buses are no good. Looks like the last national express one leaves at 9am.

Yes that,s plenty of time,the train is very handy.

Train station in the airport you might have to change in Birmingham City
    not sure but the train from Birmingham Center was about 40 minutes.

Buses waiting at train station in Cheltenham to bring you to the course or town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Dunston wrote: »

Road will be busy but its only about 1 hour away. Might be better to get the train, as the station in cheltenham is in the middle of the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Meath Centre Forward

Shemale wrote: »
    Joe got on really well with him, might be the jockey change either.
    By the way that is lunacy saying Cue Card isn't a bet at 100/1, 10s looks decent.

My, oh my, oh my. Poli is already better than Imperial Commander, Cue Card, Albertas Run, Dynaste and Riverside Theatre?

Sorry Shemale I meant the RSA for Don Poli. That's where he should be running and not the 4-miler.

Cue Card hasn't looked the same horse this season. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be risking much on him until he puts in an effort like his form last year. Maybe other people are happy to forgive him those 3 runs and break the bank banking him.

People need to be very careful as regards Un De Sceaux. He's still an unknown quantity and very unexposed. One group seem keen to take him and then there are others falling over themselves to back him. I couldn't be so confident either way.

• Advertisement

Sorry Shemale I meant the RSA for Don Poli. That's where he should be running and not the 4-miler.

Cue Card hasn't looked the same horse this season. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be risking much on him until he puts in an effort like his form last year. Maybe other people are happy to forgive him those 3 runs and break the bank banking him.

People need to be very careful as regards Un De Sceaux. He's still an unknown quantity and very unexposed. One group seem keen to take him and then there are others falling over themselves to back him. I couldn't be so confident either way.

He hasn't been the same this season for whatever reason, but 10/1 at Cheltenham on decent ground looks a fair bet to me.

I would be more concerned about Mullins record with chasers than UDS exuberance, if he jumps around nothing will lay a glove on him and 9/4 looks very interesting indeed and could be the bet to get me off to a flyer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement