Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

dogcat wrote: »
    Apparently, Ireland are debuting in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest this year in November, in Bulgaria!

Yaaaaaaaaay am I eligible?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

auldgranny wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaaaay am I eligible?
    You have to be between 10 to 15 years old to enter (as in to sing). However, anyone can write the song.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

dogcat wrote: »
    Apparently, Ireland are debuting in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest this year in November, in Bulgaria!

Saw this myself too, it's TG4 who'll be selecting the song and it will be sung in Irish. Pretty cool!

Meanwhile, the running order for the semi's has been revealed, Molly is in 2nd place, performing after Lithuania and before San Marino. Not great :(

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

maudgone wrote: »

Yeah they've all been posted on the thread already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Running order
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=running_order_of_semi-finals_revealed

Ireland will go 2nd ( yeah shîte)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's a bad draw. The song before us by Lithuania is an upbeat number and Molly will have to follow that with a sad ballad. Tough ask. At least the song after Molly is one of the worst in the round.

Fingers crossed for her but I don't think she'll qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

I'd say that game over for Ireland.... there was a slight chance for qualifying but the draw was not kind

A bit late, but here are my preliminary prediction for Semi Final 1:

To qualify: Belgium, Russia, Romania, Estonia, Georgia, Denmark, Albania, Greece, The Netherlands and Armenia.

Missing out: Moldova, Macedonia, Hungary, Belarus, Finland and Serbia.

Found this one extremely hard to predict. Although I could rule out Moldova, Macedonia, Belarus and Hungary straight away, a lot of the others I found interchangeable in quality and thus difficult to differentiate massively between them. I think Russia, Estonia, Romania, Georgia and Denmark are all safe, and Belgium, Albania, Greece, The Netherlands, Armenia and Serbia will all battle it out for the remaining six places.

Belgium I think will be appreciated for being different, Albania I think will get some jury love to see it through, The Netherlands will sneak through due to the catchy hook, Armenia is utter sh*te but will also sneak in. I really struggled to choose between Serbia and Greece but I had to pick Greece in the end purely based on the fact they've never missed out. As everyone else has said, these will more than likely change as we approach the finals as we get more info about staging/vocals.

Semi Final 2:

To qualify: Sweden, Norway, Slovenia, Azerbaijan, Lithuania, Latvia, Israel, Malta, Iceland and Switzerland.

Missing out: Ireland, San Marino, Poland, Cyprus, Montengro, Czech Republic and Portugal.

This one is easier. Sweden, Norway, Slovenia, Azerbaijan and Lithuania are all sailing through. Latvia is a bit marmite but I think will be rewarded for being different. Malta and Iceland are both safe and solid which will probably see them through. Switzerland is very average but I think it's position in the draw will sneak it through. And finally I think Israel will make it, the song is a lot of fun and very catchy. Israel certainly aren't popular right now (and rightly so), the juries will probably hate it but I think televoters may like it. Although Mei flopped last year so who knows.

This of course means that Molly probably won't make it, although I'm hoping I'm wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if either Ireland or Czech Republic made it in place of either one of Malta, Switzerland or Iceland. As said before, will become clearer closer to the date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Second is actually a good draw for Ireland this year, don't understand all the pessimism around it. After an upbeat entry and before a bad one. First ballad too, means that people may like it more so than ballads later on. Ireland also went up to 23rd in the odds today, despite the draw.

I think the draw matters a lot less in the semi's because obviously there's less songs, but it's hard to be positive about 2nd place. Playing with Numbers is the kind of song that would need a lot of help to qualify, perhaps being on towards the end whilst sandwiched between some fast songs. They absolutely need to get the staging right, which is something the Irish delegation have miserably failed at the last two years. We'll probably be relying heavily on the jury for help, and I do think they will rank us in the top ten. Hard to see it with the televoters though.

Been listening to some of the entries again to try and sort my own personal favourites. I've excluded Ireland, which otherwise would have made my top ten (something I never thought I'd say about an Irish entry!). What's actually quite annoying is that "Playing With Numbers" is one of the few entries that I can't find on Spotify. :(

Spain: 1 point
    At this end of the scoreboard it's a matter of picking the least bad of whatever's left! :p I do think this is tailor-made for Eurovision though, and with big staging it will be a much bigger competitor than the current odds suggest.

Portugal: 2 points
    Musically it reminds me of U2 a little bit. Only with a Portuguese woman instead of Bono. *shrug* It's a grower but not immediate enough to do well, sadly.

Poland: 3 points
    For some reason this one grabs me a little more than most of the other ballads. And it has nothing to do with the singer being confined to a wheelchair; I'm not one to buy into the "sympathy vote".

Estonia: 4 points
    This has grown on me a lot since first hearing it. I'm not convinced it works live but they have time to work on it.

Slovenia: 5 points
    The staging is goofy but the song itself is undeniably catchy.

The Netherlands: 6 points
    As a recent victim of unrequited love, I'm identifying with this a bit more than I probably should. :(

Sweden: 7 points
    And as someone who can occasionally be a little snobby about music, I like this more than I probably should. :o

Austria: 8 points
    Very solid effort from the host country.

Latvia: 10 points
    I love this kind of trippy, alternative R&B. She may not be quite in the league of FKA Twigs or Banks but as far as Eurovision goes, it's as good as we can expect.

Et les douze points.....*drum roll*
    Finland: 12 points
    Yes, it's a marmite entry but it's grown on me so much. When I heard that a band whose members were special needs would be entering, I immediately assumed it would be rubbish and that they'd be relying solely on the back story. But "Aina Mun Pitää" surpassed my expectations - it's short, sharp, unpolished and a proper punk song in Eurovision, which is refreshing. The lead singer's voice suits the music perfectly. I hope these guys do really well on the night.

Honourable mentiones to Germany, Georgia and Romania, who are the next least-bad entries available.
    Dishonourable mention to Hungary, which would have easily been in my top ten if it wasn't for the godawful lyrics. :mad:

And now for the worst entries:

-1 point: San Marino
    God love 'em, they do try but sadly it's all been downhill since the Facebook song.

-2 points: France
    I often feel like France is underrated at the contest but this year's entry is a massive pile of meh.

-3 points: Serbia
    I was happily indifferent to this when it was in Serbian. Now that it's been switched to English it's a great deal more irritating.

-4 points: Russia
    Russian "peace and love" songs are boring as fúck at this stage. This is better than their 2013 and 2014 efforts but that's not saying a lot. Bring back the Babushki, I say!

-5 points: Greece
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

-6 points: Armenia
    Let's just shove six completely different singers, with completely different vocal styles and who sound like they're singing completely different songs, together for three minutes. What could possibly go wrong?

-7 points: Italy
    Boyband opera never has been, and never will be, something that I understand the appeal of.

-8 points: Belarus
    Take out everything except for the violins and it might be tolerable. As it is, it's just not pleasant.

-10 points: Israel
    Nothing to do with politics, as I've often liked Israeli entries (2012 in particular was an underappreciated gem) but this is irritating as hell. :mad:

-12 points: Moldova
    Even in the '90's, this would have been considered naff and outdated. Thank God it's on first in its semi, so we can get it out of the way quickly.

Remember the site last year that enabled us to rank the entries from top to bottom? Well its back this year and I gave it a go. As last year, it came out reasonably accurate for me.
    http://esc.gerbear.com/sorter2015.htm

1 Estonia
    2 Slovenia
    3 Norway
    4 Sweden
    5 Spain
    6 Lithuania
    7 Israel
    8 Romania
    9 Georgia
    10 Ireland
    11 Austria
    12 Italy
    13 Russia
    14 Denmark
    15 Netherlands
    16 Latvia
    17 Belgium
    18 Azerbaijan
    19 Albania
    20 Serbia
    21 Australia
    22 Greece
    23 Malta
    24 Germany
    25 Hungary
    26 Switzerland
    27 Czech Republic
    28 United Kingdom
    29 Portugal
    30 Iceland
    31 Armenia
    32 Montenegro
    33 San Marino
    34 FYR Macedonia
    35 Poland
    36 France
    37 Cyprus
    38 Moldova
    39 Belarus
    40 Finland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Yeah they've all been posted on the thread already.

Yet their post was still more helpful than yours
    :cool:

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Yet their post was still more helpful than yours
    :cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Current Odds to win Eurovision 2015 - 31/03/2015

1  Sweden Måns Zelmerlöw - Heroes
    2  Italy Il Volo - Grande amore
    3  Estonia Elina Born & Stig… - Goodbye to Yesterday
    4  Australia Guy Sebastian - Tonight Again
    5  Finland Pertti Kurikan Nim… - Aina Mun Pitää
    6  Slovenia Maraaya - Here for You
    7  Russia Polina Gagarina - A Million Voices
    8  Norway Mørland & Debrah… - A Monster Like Me
    9  Azerbaijan Elnur Huseynov - Hour Of The Wolf
    10  United Kingdom Electro Velvet - Still In Love
    11  Belgium Loïc Nottet - Rhythm Inside
    12  Spain Edurne - Amanecer
    13  Armenia Genealogy - Face The Shadow
    14  Iceland María Ólafsdóttir - Unbroken
    15  Latvia Aminata Savadago - Love Injected
    16  Greece Maria Elena Kiriakou - One Last Breath
    17  Cyprus Giannis Karagiannis - One Thing I Should…
    18  Albania Elhaida Dani - I'm Alive
    19  Romania Voltaj - De la capăt - All…
    20  France Lisa Angell - N’oubliez pas
    21  Netherlands Trijntje Oosterhuis - Walk Along
    22  Austria The Makemakes - I Am Yours
    23  Lithuania Monika & Vaidas - This Time
    24  Serbia Bojana Stamenov - Beauty Never Lies
    25  Germany Ann Sophie - Black Smoke
    26  Belarus Uzari & Maimuna - Time
    27  Malta Amber - Warrior
    28  FYR Macedonia Daniel Kajmakoski - Autumn Leaves
    29  Ireland Molly Sterling - Playing With Numbers
    30  Hungary Boggie - Wars For Nothing
    31  Denmark Anti Social Media - The Way You Are
    32  Israel Nadav Guedj - Golden Boy
    33  Georgia Nina Sublatti - Warrior
    34  Switzerland Mélanie René - Time To Shine
    35  Poland Monika Kuszyńska - In The Name Of Love
    36  Montenegro Knez - Adio
    37  Moldova Eduard Romanyuta - I Want Your Love
    38  Czech Republic Marta Jandová & V… - Hope Never Dies
    39  Portugal Leonor Andrade - Há um mar que nos…
    40  San Marino Michele Perniola &… - Chain Of Light

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They'll be going behind the scenes at the Eurovision concert on the One Show on BBC1 tonight.

I still can't see Sweden winning. Remember they'll have to get the jury on board too, and I don't think they will win the jury vote. It think it's a bit gimmicky, reminds me a little bit of Eric Saade in that respect, and the juries ranked him 9th. I'm still backing Estonia for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,954 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

9pm tonight on RTÉ2 and BBC 1...

Eurovision’s Greatest Hits

To mark the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision Song Contest, a showcase some of the most memorable songs in the competition’s history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They have sing along lyrics on the Red Button on BBC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72,396 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bonjour, my lil' Irish chooms!

I like Petra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A beard! Graham Norton is turning into Ernest Hemingway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Oh I'm liking the beard on Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Not sure about Graham's beard. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I loved this Petra one in 2013 :)

Easy on the dry ice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh yeah! I liked this song.

• Advertisement

Didn't like this song first time round, but it's now grown on me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement