Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

I really don't get the big deal with Norway's entry, it's just another boring Disney-ish ballad to me. :confused: Sure they've got good voices but the song itself is nothing special at all imo. It's a shame, 'cause I really liked their entries for the past two years.

Sweden is the much stronger of the two; I really like the verses, the stage presentation is great and he's not bad to look at! :p The chorus is a bit too schlagery for my taste but it's still one of the better offerings this year and certainly sounds like a potential winner. Funnily enough, last year it was Sweden's entry that I thought was horribly overrated and was hoping would not win. This year Norway have taken their place in that regard! :p

Had a listen to Austria's entry as well, not bad at all. Would quite like to see it do well on the night.

I think the exact opposite of this! I really like the Norway song,it's a genuinely good song well sung,not relying on a big production. I don't get the big deal about the Swedish one tbh. Nothing interesting about it,it reminds me of a generic Enrique Iglesias type churn-out.

Just goes to show,different strokes & all that. I love the UK entry too,which seems to be almost universally despised! :-D

MelanieC wrote: »
    I think the exact opposite of this! I really like the Norway song,it's a genuinely good song well sung,not relying on a big production. I don't get the big deal about the Swedish one tbh. Nothing interesting about it,it reminds me of a generic Enrique Iglesias type churn-out.

Just goes to show,different strokes & all that. I love the UK entry too,which seems to be almost universally despised! :-D

I agree, I love Norway and think the Swedish song is a bit overrated - it's definitely carried by the staging.

I was also really surprised by the bad reaction to the UK entry. The way things are panning out it could be the only fun entry in there, so it might do well enough on the night.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

#35: Azerbaijan

It's another ballad! :D But it is one of the better ones. Not bad at all.

#36: San Marino

It's just.. weird? Don't know what to make of it.

#37: Albania

Nice enough, but nothing about it will stand out on the night.

#38: Russia

Here's Russia, with a song about peace and harmony :pac: Pretty insipid stuff, but will probably get top ten anyway cause it's Russia.

Just Montenegro and Australia to go now, both of which should be tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

This piece of insanity came third in Norway last night:

I love Norway's lack of rules regarding numbers on stage :P
    hahaha fúcking love it , orchestra and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm really liking Australia's song think might be my favourite!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'm really liking Australia's song think might be my favourite!

Not bad at all, very Bruno Mars like but definitely a contender. What happens if Australia actually win, do they get to host it and be in it again next year?

whos left to cast their vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I love Norway's lack of rules regarding numbers on stage :P

Kesha is looking rougher than usual, and pitbull looks to have bulked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

On reflection, I wouldn't begrudge Australia a permanent place in the competition, provided they're not allowed to host it.

thelad95 wrote: »
    On reflection, I wouldn't begrudge Australia a permanent place in the competition, provided they're not allowed to host it.

But where do you draw the line
    Allow usa , allow new Zealand, allow japan
    allow china?

I glad their in it , but sombody has got to draw the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

bpb101 wrote: »
    allow china?

North Korea is where I would draw the line :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm a bit disappointed with Australia. While it's okay, I really thought they'd knock it out of the park and I don't think it's particularly memorable. Maybe it will grow on me in time.

As cheesy as the Russian entry is I sort of like it. :o

Stevecw wrote: »
    Not bad at all, very Bruno Mars like but definitely a contender. What happens if Australia actually win, do they get to host it and be in it again next year?

If Australia win (which is a strong possibility with that song - love it!) they get to automatically be in it again next year but they won't be allowed host. Don't know who would host it in that case,maybe whoever comes second?

MelanieC wrote: »
    If Australia win (which is a strong possibility with that song - love it!) they get to automatically be in it again next year but they won't be allowed host. Don't know who would host it in that case,maybe whoever comes second?
    london will , just because the uk are one of the "BIG 5" which i think is a load of ****e.
    Hate the way the 5 get in automatically , especially since Russia dont get in. Joke really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I kind of hope Australia win I think it's one of the best songs to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Swedens going to win...... Song is epic and tbf this year is pretty poor. Probably a run away winner - 300+ points

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

If Australia win it they wont get to host it, but they will get to nominate next years venue, and they be will be allowed to take part as winners.

Fantastic! :D So much better than "A Monster Like Me" imo.
    allow china?

If any of those countries really wanted to participate then why not imo? The more the merrier!
    Besides, I bet all of those countries would have a much better attitude to the contest than the constant "joke of a contest/all the songs are ****e/it's all bloc voting/blah blah blah" crap that so many Irish and British people tend to spew out.
    london will , just because the uk are one of the "BIG 5" which i think is a load of ****e.
    Hate the way the 5 get in automatically , especially since Russia dont get in. Joke really

Russia (or any other country) would get in automatically too if they paid as much for the running of the competition as the countries that qualify automatically do.

Like it or not, no Big 5 means no Eurovision.

Been catching up on the entries I hadn't listened to yet:

Portugal - There will come a year when Portugal finally wins the Eurovision Song Contest, or even manages a top 5 finish, and all those many many awful results can be forgotten. But it is not this year.
    To be fair it's not awful or anything. It's just.....there. Portuguese is a beautiful language but that hasn't really helped them for the past forty years, has it? :(

Poland - I actually don't mind this one; it's another ballad, sure, but it's not as overwrought or as soulless as many of the others on offer. And sadly it's that subtlety that will probably see it languish in the semis..... unless they decide to bring back the scantily clad milk churner and washer woman from last year on stage! :p Although, as cynical as this sounds and as much as I hate to say it, the fact that she's a wheelchair user may gain some sympathy votes.

Romania - Interesting choice. It's an emotional song but feels genuine; they're not just phoning in the schmaltz like Russia or Hungary are. Glad that they're keeping most of it in Romanian too. I'd quite like to see this do well. :)

Azerbaijan - Meh. Not terrible but not great either. They should improve on last year's result but it's not a winner.

San Marino - Like Hungary, this song has a nice melody but the schmaltzy lyrics ruin it. Another likely contender to remain in the semis.

Albania - Very contemporary, and also very American sounding. Could imagine this song being played on the radio but I don't think it'll have enough impact on the Eurovision stage as it doesn't really get going until the last 60 seconds or so. Not a bad effort overall though.

Russia - Predictably slick, polished and utterly soulless number that is sure to score well. It is infuriating watching such a cheesy video with a "peace and love" message brought to you by a country that systematically oppresses large sections of its own population (and Ukraine's). :mad: But, having said that, I hope their act doesn't get booed; the way the Tolmachevy sisters were treated by the crowd last year was wrong, it's not like Russian pop singers are responsible for the country's foreign policy! You'd have to wonder though if Putin watches this "peace and love" schtick and sniggers to himself.

Australia - Don't like it but that's just my personal taste. Can imagine it resonating with quite a lot of voters.

Montenegro - Due to be released 21st March. Let's hope the best has been saved for last! :pac:

^ Scratch that, Montengro has been released now. We have all forty songs:

Standard Balkan ballad fare, really. This kinda song usually does ok so it might get them out of the semis but won't finish in the top half of the leaderboard.

So we know all forty songs, although we still don't know if there'll be any more language changes. Both Macedonia and Serbia have announced they'll be singing in English; it works ok for Macedonia's song imo but Serbia's sounds worse now and should have been kept in its original language.

So who's willing to make some early predictions for who's gonna make it out of the semis? Obviously the running order has yet to be decided, and that will have some impact, but I'm gonna make my initial predictions now, just 'cause. :p
    SEMI FINAL ONE
    First half
    Armenia
    Belgium
    Estonia
    Finland
    Greece
    Macedonia
    Moldova
    Netherlands
    Second half
    Albania
    Belarus
    Denmark
    Georgia
    Hungary
    Romania
    Russia
    Serbia

This is the tougher of the two to predict imo. Russia is a no brainer and Estonia should be safe. I'd also be confident of Romania qualifying, and I suspect both Georgia and Denmark are being underrated in the odds at the moment. After that it gets tougher; Moldova and Belarus are hopeless, and I suspect Armenia might be a huge mess on stage, but after that it's very hard to predict. I'd love to see Finland qualify but the song isn't exactly aimed at the traditional Eurovision audience so I don't know if it'll get much support. :p Greece don't really deserve to qualify imo but they have the numbers to vote for them, whereas Albania has a similar but stronger entry but not as much traditional support.

Without a whole degree of certainty, I'll go for the following ten to qualify: Belgium, Estonia, Greece, The Netherlands, Albania, Denmark, Georgia, Russia, Romania, Serbia.
    Finland, Hungary or even Macedonia could nab a place though, most likely at the expense of Albania or the Netherlands (or Serbia, who will rue the decision to switch language if they don't make it)
    SEMI FINAL TWO
    First half
    Czech Republic
    Ireland
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Montenegro
    Norway
    Portugal
    San Marino
    Second half
    Azerbaijan
    Cyprus
    Iceland
    Israel
    Latvia
    Poland
    Slovenia
    Sweden
    Switzerland

This one's a little easier to predict. Sweden, Norway and Azerbaijan are all dead certs, and Slovenia looks increasingly like the dark horse of this year's competition so it would be a shock if they didn't qualify. I'm cautiously optimistic that Ireland will qualify; our entry isn't a stereotypical Eurovision song but hopefully that bit of subtlety will win over some fans like the Dutch did last years. It's main rival will probably be Iceland, and while I think Molly's song is much stronger the Icelandic one is a bit fluffier and more instant.
    Czech Republic, Portugal, Cyprus, San Marino and Switzerland all seem to me like songs that won't qualify. I can't see Israel qualifying again without something amazing, something their entry this year certainly isn't. Malta will very much depend on the live performance (she does oversing the hell of it) while Latvia's entry is one of my personal favourites but might be seen as a bit too "cool" for Eurovision.

My predicted ten qualifiers: Ireland, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, Azerbaijan, Iceland, Latvia, Slovenia, Sweden.
    Poland might sneak in, possibly at Ireland's expense.

Other predictions:
    * Sweden to win
    * Spain to finish above Italy as the highest of the Big 5, possibly even finishing in the top 3
    * Russia to get top five
    * Australia to finish somewhere in the middle
    * Estonia to be a big anti-climax and finish in the bottom half
    * Ireland to qualify for the final but to finish in 20-somethingth place on the night
    * France to win the wooden spoon for a second year in a row

*Disclaimer: these predictions are liable to change drastically over the coming months! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That Swedish one is ****e, clever staging though, but jeepers. It's no Loreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think the standard in semi-final 2 is way, way higher than that of semi-final 1. Unfortunately we are in semi-final 2. :(

Here is my take on who makes it:
    Semi-final 1

Armenia - I don't like the song but I think it will have its supporters and make it.

Verdict: Qualifier

Belgium - I'm confident this will make it as it has a unique sound, but again I don't like it as it's too similar to Lorde for my liking.

Estonia - A cert to qualify and a contender to win. Having initially been cool on this song I now really like it.

Finland - This is tough as the story behind the song is admirable, but the song itself is pretty rubbish. I am leaning towards it missing out but wouldn't be shocked if it makes it.

Verdict: Eliminated

Greece - I find it a dated song for the contest but I think it will have enough fans to qualify.

Macedonia - Pretty run-of-the-mill and not very memorable.

Moldova - I think this is the worst song of the contest. Deserves to miss out.

Netherlands - Not as strong as their entry from last year but distinctive enough to make it I think.

Albania - Don't see anything special in this one.

Belarus - I have a soft spot for this one and I enjoy the violin. I think the staging will be quite good for this and my tip is it qualifies.

Denmark - Don't rate it highly but has a catchy, feel-good factor that will help it so I think it makes it.

Georgia - The weakest of the 'warrior' songs imo but I think it has enough to progress.

Hungary - Such a cheesy song. I think this will be borderline but I'm leaning towards it just missing out.

Romania - I like this one and I think it will have enough support to get over the line.

Russia - It will likely get a backlash for political reasons but I think the song has a nice chorus and will have enough support to make it.

Serbia - I think this is pretty dreadful, personally. I'm saying it misses out.

This semi-final is a notch above the other one, I reckon.
    Semi-final 2

Czech Rep. - I am cool on this song. I think Europe will be too.

Ireland - The song has grown on me but it doesn't grip you on first listen. I think there are songs in this semi-final that do. Unfortunately, I don't think we've much hope.

Verdict: Eliminated :(

Lithuania - Energetic song that I can see doing well.

Malta - Can see this going down well with the public. Might be a dark horse to win.

Montenegro - Not bad but I don't think it can contend with the competition.

Norway - Great song imo. If this isn't top 5 in the final I'll be shocked.

Portugal - Disappointing. Portugal tend to send dull entries like this one.

San Marino - Nothing special really. I think it will struggle.

Azerbaijan - Preferred their song last year but I can see this having support.

Cyprus - Been getting a lot of unfair criticism I think, but it is quite dull.

Iceland - Has a Disney sound to it. I think it's decent enough and can see it having fans. It packs more of a punch than our one.

Israel - Like Russia will have a lot of political baggage to contend with, but will probably not be booed. It's a good tune though the lyrics are awful.

Latvia - They've gone the FKA Twigs route which is unusual for Eurovision. If the singer pulls it off well, it will stand out.

Poland - Not terrible, but feels dated. The singer's story may get it over the line.

Slovenia - Distinctive sound to it. Duffy-esque. I think it deserves to progress.

Sweden - Great song and I think it's just as good as Euphoria, if not better. I think it will have a similar effect as this is my tip to win the whole thing.

Switzerland - This one I think could be borderline. I wouldn't be shocked if it makes it. Between this and Poland for the spot

My predicted top 5 for the final:

1. Sweden
    2. Estonia
    3. Norway
    4. Italy
    5. Australia

(Like Homer J. said above, these views may well change. :pac:)

Overall I think the standard is higher than last year's competition, not that it was particularly good in 2014. I think we all need to brace ourselves for the likelihood of an early exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

^ Scratch that, Montengro has been released now. We have all forty songs:

Standard Balkan ballad fare, really. This kinda song usually does ok so it might get them out of the semis but won't finish in the top half of the leaderboard.

So we know all forty songs, although we still don't know if there'll be any more language changes. Both Macedonia and Serbia have announced they'll be singing in English; it works ok for Macedonia's song imo but Serbia's sounds worse now and should have been kept in its original language.

So who's willing to make some early predictions for who's gonna make it out of the semis? Obviously the running order has yet to be decided, and that will have some impact, but I'm gonna make my initial predictions now, just 'cause. :p

This is the tougher of the two to predict imo. Russia is a no brainer and Estonia should be safe. I'd also be confident of Romania qualifying, and I suspect both Georgia and Denmark are being underrated in the odds at the moment. After that it gets tougher; Moldova and Belarus are hopeless, and I suspect Armenia might be a huge mess on stage, but after that it's very hard to predict. I'd love to see Finland qualify but the song isn't exactly aimed at the traditional Eurovision audience so I don't know if it'll get much support. :p Greece don't really deserve to qualify imo but they have the numbers to vote for them, whereas Albania has a similar but stronger entry but not as much traditional support.

Without a whole degree of certainty, I'll go for the following ten to qualify: Belgium, Estonia, Greece, The Netherlands, Albania, Denmark, Georgia, Russia, Romania, Serbia.
    Finland, Hungary or even Macedonia could nab a place though, most likely at the expense of Albania or the Netherlands (or Serbia, who will rue the decision to switch language if they don't make it)

This one's a little easier to predict. Sweden, Norway and Azerbaijan are all dead certs, and Slovenia looks increasingly like the dark horse of this year's competition so it would be a shock if they didn't qualify. I'm cautiously optimistic that Ireland will qualify; our entry isn't a stereotypical Eurovision song but hopefully that bit of subtlety will win over some fans like the Dutch did last years. It's main rival will probably be Iceland, and while I think Molly's song is much stronger the Icelandic one is a bit fluffier and more instant.
    Czech Republic, Portugal, Cyprus, San Marino and Switzerland all seem to me like songs that won't qualify. I can't see Israel qualifying again without something amazing, something their entry this year certainly isn't. Malta will very much depend on the live performance (she does oversing the hell of it) while Latvia's entry is one of my personal favourites but might be seen as a bit too "cool" for Eurovision.

My predicted ten qualifiers: Ireland, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Norway, Azerbaijan, Iceland, Latvia, Slovenia, Sweden.
    Poland might sneak in, possibly at Ireland's expense.

Other predictions:
    * Sweden to win
    * Spain to finish above Italy as the highest of the Big 5, possibly even finishing in the top 3
    * Russia to get top five
    * Australia to finish somewhere in the middle
    * Estonia to be a big anti-climax and finish in the bottom half
    * Ireland to qualify for the final but to finish in 20-somethingth place on the night
    * France to win the wooden spoon for a second year in a row

*Disclaimer: these predictions are liable to change drastically over the coming months! :p

This is it. More or less is what will happen.Sweden may or may not win but predict they will be in the top 5. Some other places like Azerbaijan and Armenia could do well too. The latter are due a win for years!! But Armenia's songs have been rather dull is what holds them back. Lithuania? I may be wrong but I don't recall them winning it (Estonia and Latvia did though). They are due a win too.

But it is getting more and more unpredictable year after year. Gone are the times when what we call block voting appeared obvious. We have had winners from all over the last few years. From Azerbaijan to Austria. Also, the type of song varies: everything from ethnically flavoured folk dances to heavy metal to ballads have won it in recent times.

Most recent winners were either Eastern European (Estonia, Latvia, Turkey, Ukraine, Greece, Serbia, Russia, Azerbaijan) or Scandinavians (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland). But a revival of Central Europe has emerged of late too (Germany, Austria). So, maybe Ireland may win it again sooner than expected!!

Certainly won't be this year tho! ;-) :-( :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Some other places like Azerbaijan and Armenia could do well too. The latter are due a win for years!! But Armenia's songs have been rather dull is what holds them back.

"Qele, Qele" in 2008 certainly wasn't a dull song.

In fact, it received more 12s in the final than anyone else (yet still only managed 4th).

Lithuania? I may be wrong but I don't recall them winning it (Estonia and Latvia did though). They are due a win too.

Lithuania's best finish thus far is 6th in 2006.

Their next best finish, however, is 13th in 2001... :o;)

We have had winners from all over the last few years. From Azerbaijan to Austria. Also, the type of song varies: everything from ethnically flavoured folk dances to heavy metal to ballads have won it in recent times.

And in 2011, the bookies predicted that France would win with Amaury Vassili and his Corsican-language operatic pop song. (It came 15th.)

the assies willl do really well as they will get points off everybody due to the novelty of it . Top 5 id say. Ireland to hopefully qualify and finish mid table.

Dont like Sweden . Haters going to hate. Estonia and Denmark are good. Dont think italy will do as well as they think.

Nothing this year that stands out. Differently thought that 2 years ago that Denmark would win it with your emily de forest( or whatever she called herself) and they did. also knew that Austria would win it last year but that the dutch was the best song.

Some other places like Azerbaijan and Armenia could do well too. The latter are due a win for years!! But Armenia's songs have been rather dull is what holds them back. Lithuania? I may be wrong but I don't recall them winning it (Estonia and Latvia did though). They are due a win too.

Of all the countries that have yet to win Eurovision, I'd say Romania are the most overdue a win. Two third place finishes and one fourth place in the past 10 years (I think) and the only non-winning nation left in the contest (since Bosnia-Herzegovina pulled out) to have never failed to make it out of a semi-final.

Hungary looked like they were making strides towards a victory at some point but they seem to have taken a backwards step this year.

Both Iceland and Malta have finished as runners up twice in the past twenty years, and Malta have had a few third place finishes as well. Unfortunately for them though, their small populations are something of an extra obstacle when it comes to televoting.
    Estonia - A cert to qualify and a contender to win. Having initially been cool on this song I now really like it.

Verdict: Qualifier.

I've warmed a bit to this too since listening to the studio version of the song. I'm still not convinced by the live performance though; the woman sounds ok but the guy is very mumbly and uncomfortable to listen to. He'll need to improve his live vocals if they're to make a serious bid to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heads up...

The 'Eurovision's Greatest Hits' show is on BBC One on Good Friday at 9pm.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest's_Greatest_Hits

Lordi AND Johnny Logan on the same stage! :D

its it live preformences or just reruns

edit:
    yes it is , River dance is the on at half time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Apparently, Ireland are debuting in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest this year in November, in Bulgaria!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement