Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

How have people faired out numbers wise for the year? Caught my 70 th mink of the year on St. Stephens day. Lost only 1 trap when a bank eroded away in the floods. Mk6 fenn traps have really done the job this year for me. Be interesting to hear what lads have got....
    Some amount. They could do with you in areas like Ballcroy national park to help protect the waders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

70 mink that is great going.I caught my first one yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

Some amount. They could do with you in areas like Ballcroy national park to help protect the waders!

Cheers, if I could make a living from it I would! Misses might not be impressed tho!

70 mink that is great going.I caught my first one yesterday.

1st of many hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Cheers, if I could make a living from it I would! Misses might not be impressed tho!

Wonder what qualifications you'd need for such a role? Met the guy who traps the river Shannon, he seem'd to only know the basics, when it comes to mink trapping!

Maybe it was just the fact that he had a huge area to trap, and not enough time to do it properly, and that's understandable, i suppose!
    For me, I don't think I could work for, or with the NPWS! Don't think they like being challenged on any subject relating to wildlife, especially by anyone who hasn't a degree!

Probably won't be many who would agree with me on this!:) JMHO!

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Wonder what qualifications you'd need for such a role? Met the guy who traps the river Shannon, he seem'd to only know the basics, when it comes to mink trapping!

Maybe it was just the fact that he had a huge area to trap, and not enough time to do it properly, and that's understandable, i suppose!
    For me, I don't think I could work for, or with the NPWS! Don't think they like being challenged on any subject relating to wildlife, especially by anyone who hasn't a degree!

Probably won't be many who would agree with me on this!:) JMHO!
    I think those trapping jobs with NPWS go out for tender. The lad who I liaise with from the NPWS seems open minded and would listen to my opinion eventhough I'm a non-degree person as well:)
    I had dealings with BWI and they never listen to me. Too stuck up!

I think those trapping jobs with NPWS go out for tender. The lad who I liaise with from the NPWS seems open minded and would listen to my opinion eventhough I'm a non-degree person as well:)
    I had dealings with BWI and they never listen to me. Too stuck up!
    Yea knew they went out for tender, but work along side NPWS i believe! Probably more about who ya know, more so than what you know!

Well to be honest I had conversations with two guy's from NPWS! One guy was sound enough, the other a complete ass! But neither liked to be proven wrong in any way! Human nature I suppose!

Oddly enough, I had a good experience, working with BWI, but challenged, would probably have a similar reaction!

Yea knew they went out for tender, but work along side NPWS i believe! Probably more about who ya know, more so than what you know!

Well to be honest I had conversations with two guy's from NPWS! One guy was sound enough, the other a complete ass! But neither liked to be proven wrong in any way! Human nature I suppose!

Oddly enough, I had a good experience, working with BWI, but challenged, would probably have a similar reaction!
    The lad I worked with in BWI was a total layabout. Spoofer in the extreme. Even had to make a complaint but management backed him to the last. No problems here, they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Skin em and put em on eBay make few Bob. If rabbit fur is getting 15 quid a pelt I reckon a mink would be a lot more

1st of many hopefully!

Yes and no. If there were none around it would be better. Putting the bait in a 4" round tin this year. If the river floods the bait will still be in situ.Drilled the top with a lot of 8mm holes.Also other wildlife cannot carry the bait. So in theory the trap will stay working longer.Put the tin well back in the pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

What do you use as bait on the trap? I'm just wondering I've a few traps I found and would like to give it a go, the other thing is about otters would you ever get them in the traps? I would never like to get one in the traps.. I know there protected and that what would you do, just wondering if you had any past experiences, also is there a season for trapping them? Or is it all year round?
    Thanks..

What do you use as bait on the trap? I'm just wondering I've a few traps I found and would like to give it a go, the other thing is about otters would you ever get them in the traps? I would never like to get one in the traps.. I know there protected and that what would you do, just wondering if you had any past experiences, also is there a season for trapping them? Or is it all year round?
    Thanks..

On the question on Otters! The traps are set in a tunnel, and the tunnel is closed off with sticks, rocks, or whatever you have at hand! A gap no more than 8cm is left to allow mink in, but non-targets like Otter out!

Otters are a very clever animal, and are highly prized in country's that do trap them, mainly because they are so hard catch! You see, their clever! Much more so, then the mink!

Now if by some chance, an Otter did manage to catch it's foot in a trap, it would be like catching your finger in a mouse trap! Their a big powerful animal! It would simply just shake the trap off!

On many an occasion, I had an Otter fire my trap, and steal the bait, leaving nothing bar a footprint as evidance! Sometimes they keep coming back, over and over again! That tells me, that they ain't afraid of those traps!

In all my years of trapping, I've never caught an Otter!;)

On the question on Otters! The traps are set in a tunnel, and the tunnel is closed off with sticks, rocks, or whatever you have at hand! A gap no more than 8cm is left to allow mink in, but non-targets like Otter out!

Otters are a very clever animal, and are highly prized in country's that do trap them, mainly because they are so hard catch! You see, their clever! Much more so, then the mink!

Now if by some chance, an Otter did manage to catch it's foot in a trap, it would be like catching your finger in a mouse trap! Their a big powerful animal! It would simply just shake the trap off!

On many an occasion, I had an Otter fire my trap, and steal the bait, leaving nothing bar a footprint as evidance! Sometimes they keep coming back, over and over again! That tells me, that they ain't afraid of those traps!

In all my years of trapping, I've never caught an Otter!;)

Great, thanks, so how would I go onto trapping minks? Any good YouTube videos you would recommend?
    Thanks.

Great, thanks, so how would I go onto trapping minks? Any good YouTube videos you would recommend?
    Thanks.

hollowpoint on here, has some great YouTube video's on mink trapping! Subscribe to his YouTube channel, and he'll answer any question you have im sure!

What kind of traps have you got, by the way?

hollowpoint on here, has some great YouTube video's on mink trapping! Subscribe to his YouTube channel, and he'll answer any question you have im sure!

What kind of traps have you got, by the way?
    I actually bought them off a friend a few years ago and I'm pretty sure there mink traps.

I actually bought them off a friend a few years ago and I'm pretty sure there mink traps.

Any idea what type mink trap? Fenn, bodygrip, cage type? Any pics?

I know I have them somewhere here is closest one I could find that looks like it... Hope this helps. But I'm nearly 90% sure there mink traps and the other 10% for rats but this trap is big enough size for rats...

Thanks

I know I have them somewhere here is closest one I could find that looks like it... Hope this helps. But I'm nearly 90% sure there mink traps and the other 10% for rats but this trap is big enough size for rats...

Thanks

A o.k! It's a cage trap, which can be used for rat, mink, and squirrel! There's no need to worry about Otters at all then! Way too small to catch an Otter! Make sure the trap is good and sensitive, closing with ease! Bait with fish scraps, tinned fish in oil or brine, rabbit or whatever you can get!

Set the trap right against the bank of the river, ( if it's not flooded lol), somewhere nice and flat, where the cage is stable, cover with grass, leaves, debris e.t.c, and i add a rock or two! One at the back, and maybe another on top , or at the side if there's some close by! (Not essential )

Check every day, and change bait every few days, depending on weather! Mink like fresh bait!

There's lots more tips, but that's most of the basics covered I think!;)

A o.k! It's a cage trap, which can be used for rat, mink, and squirrel! There's no need to worry about Otters at all then! Way too small to catch an Otter! Make sure the trap is good and sensitive, closing with ease! Bait with fish scraps, tinned fish in oil or brine, rabbit or whatever you can get!

Set the trap right against the bank of the river, ( if it's not flooded lol), somewhere nice and flat, where the cage is stable, cover with grass, leaves, debris e.t.c, and i add a rock or two! One at the back, and maybe another on top , or at the side if there's some close by! (Not essential )

Check every day, and change bait every few days, depending on weather! Mink like fresh bait!

There's lots more tips, but that's most of the basics covered I think!;)

That's great, river is fairly flooded and I'll try and get asap!

Thanks a mill!

Wait till the river goes well down, and let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement

That's great, river is fairly flooded and I'll try and get asap!

Thanks a mill!

Good advice there by Eddie in his posts, location is a major factor in trapping and your success rate. Check out different locations along the river, don't just put a trap somewhere that's handy for you to check if it ain't gonna be a point of interest for a mink. Perseverance is another major factor, you will check empty traps many many many times, but when you catch a mink interest will be renewed so basically you have to take the good times with the bad! Most people I know catch 1 or 2 and think after a few weeks of catching nothing that there is nothing else about, leave the trap there if not required else where. I have gone a month or 2 months even longer and had nothing in certain traps, maybe the odd rat or 2 but at least with it there working you have a better chance of getting a mink then if the trap is sitting at home in the shed! Bridges, river junctions etc. are classic features for mink traps, take the time to check the river for features and particularly prominent rocks or stumps or low branches for mink droppings, these are good places to trap as mink use them to mark their territory. Best of luck and keep us posted on successful outings and if your not doing to we'll, plenty of advice and info to be got on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

If anyone gets a mink could you pm me lad who does my tattoos is looking for animal skulls for his tattoo shop

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If anyone gets a mink could you pm me lad who does my tattoos is looking for animal skulls for his tattoo shop

I'm afraid I have no skulls for him yet. If he's looking for a website, pm me. I'm dying to do a tattoo website to add to the portfolio.

Would I get a free tatoo for a free mink skull? Lol!

Does this guy want clean skills, or is he familiar with the cleaning process?

Have 3 mink here that were caught over last few days..... eh, will be while b4 they rot away

Here's one I prepared earlier! Lol!

shareimage20160106_211138_zps7xjjurtb.jpg

A in all honesty, think skulls from bigger animals would work better! A Mink skull would hardly even be seen, or noticed!

Here's one I prepared earlier! Lol!

shareimage20160106_211138_zps7xjjurtb.jpg

A in all honesty, think skulls from bigger animals would work better! A Mink skull would hardly even be seen, or noticed!

Agreed!

11 mink caught here so far.All on the same stretch of river.

11 mink caught here so far.All on the same stretch of river.

Great stuff! Any pics? Tell us about your set up, etc!

You find any new locations in your area this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Iv recently moved so looking new permissions at the moment. Local forest had a River running through it to a huge Lake and it's alive with them. It's an coillte so wondering would contacting them and asking them about trapping there?

Advertisement