Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

nip on the back of the head, ate a small bit of one of them.
    didn't drag any to where they got in, that's why I say mink.
    glad it was me who found them and not dad.

Sounds like a mink alrite...

Total for january: 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

nothing in the mink trap since I set it. right beside a river.
    Had salmon in it and had a trail cam set on it for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

2 caught in the last week.I have just started. The river has been decimated since they arrived. All my favorite fishing spots are devoid of any trout.

2 caught in the last week.I have just started. The river has been decimated since they arrived. All my favorite fishing spots are devoid of any trout.

Little b*****ds are everywhere....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

What's the going rate for a mink now a days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Do otters deter mink from an area or is that untrue?

Caught another one yesterday.

Little b*****ds are everywhere....

What is the best time of year to trap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

I think I have heard that before if an otter has a territory and a mink is seen in it, they will eliminate them.

• Advertisement

Both otters and mink living together on my local river.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Otters do negatively impact Mink in an area - in some places that'll mean they get rid of them from a stretch of river, and in others they might just thin their numbers out and reduce their range a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Trapped out a family of mink last Summer - 2 adults and 3 juveniles. I had seen them all on the trail cams so knew how many I was dealing with. Not a sign of a mink all Autumn and Winter then found a dead female lying in the middle of a field last week and a big male shows up on the trail cam this week:mad: Time to set the traps again.

Where is the best place to set up a trail cam on a river.

I have a plank across a mill race and a lot of wildlife were using it to cross, the mink seemed attracted to it as well.

Here's a photo from last summer:

1A8553496D064ECB9F7CD27649CAF1E6-0000318105-0003628006-00500L-7B8E55E6FF15450A817B619592790959.jpg

Other animals were scenting the bridge, that might be what attracted the mink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Hey was out walking today and came across a mink den. How I know it's a mink den is the mink was actually in it looking out at me! We live by a river and it's on a embankment! Problem is that it's around 200 meters from our henhouse no hens have been taken as of yet but it's only a matter of time and they are free range! What's the easiest way of getting rid of it seeing as I know where it lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

ROSSKI wrote: »
    I am trying to catch a mink that killed 18 chickens on my neighbour. It's definitely a mink as he was seen leaving the henhouse and has been seen since. I have 2 traps set one with sardines and one with fish guts and I can't catch the ba..tard.

Ant tips on bait or positioning of trap appreciated!!?

Got the little fupper - more luck than good trapping though! He came back for the last 2 hens and managed to lift a lat to get in but it closed shut behind him - Killed the two chickens and couldn't manage to get out!!
    28 chickens later and he catches himself!!

ROSSKI wrote: »
    Got the little fupper - more luck than good trapping though! He came back for the last 2 hens and managed to lift a lat to get in but it closed shut behind him - Killed the two chickens and couldn't manage to get out!!
    28 chickens later and he catches himself!!

Nice 1! Shame bout the chickens tho!!

Gits_bone wrote: »
    What's the going rate for a mink now a days?

3 euro bounty per mink...

• Advertisement

Dont know if they deter them.... i've caught mink regularly on a stretch of river i know otter are on. I think if there is plenty of food and habitat for both to "do their own thing" then i guess they will just tolerate eachother.... might be wrong....

3 more caught yesterday. Has anyone collected the bounty.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Is there still a bounty on mink ?

Is there still a bounty on mink ?

Yes bounty is still on them.

Yes bounty is still on them.

Have you ever collected it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Are ye using live cage traps or tunnels with fenn traps for catching? If live cage how are ye killing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

How much is it

Have you ever collected it.

Have'nt collected it cause i keep the tails for the annual gun club competition... so each tail is worth points to the club at vermin count.

How much is it

3 euro per mink tail

• Advertisement

fiestaman wrote: »
    Are ye using live cage traps or tunnels with fenn traps for catching? If live cage how are ye killing them?

Using cage traps, mk 6 fenns and 116 body grip traps. Used to use air rifle to kill the 1's in cage traps, now i just drown them.

Advertisement