Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I find the trouble with the setting the spring back in to the bank is that there is nearly always roots or a rock in the way. It might not fire very well either as the spring has to move forward when the trap is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I find the trouble with the setting the spring back in to the bank is that there is nearly always roots or a rock in the way. It might not fire very well either as the spring has to move forward when the trap is released.

Yea rocks can be a headache in some locations. I have one new location I sussed out whilst fishing in the summer. I brought a spade, to dig a couple of pockets, but the bank was undigable. I'm now going to make a couple of simple three sided tunnels, and place the Fenn's inside them.

Also, I think the conibear spring pushing the trap out of the pocket, usually results in a suitcase catch. Just what I've experienced.

2013-09-21_07.51.37.jpg

Also, I think the conibear spring pushing the trap out of the pocket, usually results in a suitcase catch. Just what I've experienced.

Think you might be right there. What do you mean by a three sided tunnel.

2013-09-21_07.51.37.jpg[/QUOTE]

Think you might be right there. What do you mean by a three sided tunnel.

2013-09-21_07.51.37.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

A simple tunnel made from ply or mesh, or whatever you have. Two sides and a roof. Sorry don't have a photo. Bed the Fenn into the ground a little, and place box over it. Cover with debris, rocks etc if you wish.

You can make ones for conibears too. Here is a picture of a homemade one.

1503421356033-37185357.jpg

I dont know if you can make it out, but it shows the mechanism that holds the trap tight in the tunnel.

Is it hanging? Great idea Eddie. Still nothing in my trap today. I gave a quick look for footprints but none to be seen anywhere. I will keep the trap down anyhow.

What kind of mesh are you using?

• Advertisement

Is it hanging? Great idea Eddie. Still nothing in my trap today. I gave a quick look for footprints but none to be seen anywhere. I will keep the trap down anyhow.

What kind of mesh are you using?

That actually ain't my tunnel. I was sent it just to give me an idea of how to make them. Never got around to doing it.

Yea there is a square piece of mesh wired to the top of the tunnel on one side, with two hooks to slip one of the jaws of the trap onto. At the end of this is a spring attached. This holds the trap, and stabilises it. You can see the spring at the bottom of the picture. On the other side there are two more hooks bent out of the actual tunnel itself. Hope im explaining this right?

O I'm not sure what mesh that is. Looks like one of those cheap mink cages with the bottom taken off. I'm sure any solid sheet of mesh will work. Think you can get a 8×4 sheet cheap enough.

There is also a notch cut outa the side of the tunnel I believe, for the trap spring. It gives for a very solid and handy set.

I set a trap in a place two days ago. Lots of tracks and sign but trap not touched. I placed a trailcam beside the trap. I checked today, and I have 80 video's. Just had a quick look at the last two, and their of a mink all over my set, but didn't go in. Hard to believe, but true. Hopefully tomorrow. Lol

set a trap in a place two days ago. Lots of tracks and sign but trap not touched. I placed a trailcam beside the trap. I checked today, and I have 80 video's. Just had a quick look at the last two, and their of a mink all over my set, but didn't go in. Hard to believe, but true. Hopefully tomorrow. Lol

That is really strange. What is it that they are uncomfortable about I wonder.

Would folded tin be as good. Or folded steel maybe.

set a trap in a place two days ago. Lots of tracks and sign but trap not touched. I placed a trailcam beside the trap. I checked today, and I have 80 video's. Just had a quick look at the last two, and their of a mink all over my set, but didn't go in. Hard to believe, but true. Hopefully tomorrow. Lol

That is really strange. What is it that they are uncomfortable about I wonder.

Would folded tin be as good. Or folded steel maybe.

Mink are known for taking a peak inside tunnels, and not always going in. Mink are fantastic hunters, and are seldom hungry. That's why they use footholds in the US alot to good effect. They set them outside the pocket for this reason. Here, we have to entice them somehow, or block a run with an unbaited tunnel that they'd use as a run through. Block off either side of the run. Give them no option than to go through your tunnel.

Saying that, for the most part your average mink will be two inquisitive, and pop inside a pocket without hesitation.

Sheet metal? Suppose it would work, but harder to handle I'd say.

I used plastic signs before. Very easy to fold them. Might give them a go again.

I used plastic signs before. Very easy to fold them. Might give them a go again.

Yea whatever works lad. Saw some thick plastic window box's in a little shop in town today. Gonna get a couple next time I'm in if their wide enough. (Need to bring a tape). Should work well. Just need to cut out the ends.

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff Eddie. You really do come up with them. You could drop into the neighbours and borrow a few. They won't need them again until the spring.

Warning: do not try this at home. Viewer discretion is advised.

Box gutters might be suitable too.

Box gutters might be suitable too.

I was thinking more on the lines of this stuffs.

downloadfile.jpg

Petrol station down the road had a hape of old stuff stacked in a corner few weeks ago. Got new stuff laid down. Was gonna ask for it, bit looked a bit narrow.

A bit narrow alright I'd say.

A bit narrow alright I'd say.

Well I think you can get different sizes, but to expensave unless you were lucky enough to come across some being dumped and of the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Today while out shooting we had just put all the guns away for lunch break when one of the lads spots a mink stretched out like a lazy tomcat sunbathing on a ledge above the mill race that runs through the farmyard. And of course the little bugger was away upstream by the time we got a gun ready.

Today while out shooting we had just put all the guns away for lunch break when one of the lads spots a mink stretched out like a lazy tomcat sunbathing on a ledge above the mill race that runs through the farmyard. And of course the little bugger was away upstream by the time we got a gun ready.

Usually when you see them out and about during the day, it shows there's a good population on that particular waterway.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Usually when you see them out and about during the day, it shows there's a good population on that particular waterway.

Or in the case of badgers they say there might be something wrong with them.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

There's only one individual showing up on any of my trail cams. It has a raggedy tail which makes it easy to ID. Can mink catch mange?

There's only one individual showing up on any of my trail cams. It has a raggedy tail which makes it easy to ID. Can mink catch mange?
    Well that's probably his/her territory. Catch that one and another will soon follow. During the breeding season they overlap territory's more often. As far as I know, mink don't get mange. In fact, they are a very clean animal, and are not known for carrying diseases etc. The only thing they are prone to, is ticks. Usually seen on the back of the neck and head.

• Advertisement

Well that's probably his/her territory. Catch that one and another will soon follow. During the breeding season they overlap territory's more often. As far as I know, mink don't get mange. In fact, they are a very clean animal, and are not known for carrying diseases etc. The only thing they are prone to, is ticks. Usually seen on the back of the neck and head.

From constantly washing themselves in our rivers and lakes.

Any mink being caught?

Finding it slow at the moment. Got one in a Fenn last week. The water had risen over that particular set, so was surprised to have got one in it. I'm going in the morning to see how bad the rivers are after the flooding. Say I'll have to re-do all my sets.

My own was flooded too. I put another set above it so as to maintain a working trap.

My own was flooded too. I put another set above it so as to maintain a working trap.

Good man! I checked the river this morning. Two traps under water and two still working high up the bank. Nothing doing though

Maybe it is too early in the winter. Compared to last winter is there more or less activity.

Maybe it is too early in the winter. Compared to last winter is there more or less activity.

All depends on the mink population on each stretch of rIver. Can vary from year to year. Where I am now, I had six this time last year in a week. Nothing so far this year, and it's almost a week. I'll give it another week, and then pull and move to another location.

Also keep in mind, that someone else could have a location done. Maybe only a mile or two from where your setting. Think that might be the case with me at the mo. I'll know after another week for sure.

By the way, time of year doesn't really matter. I got five within a couple of days, on the first river I trapped this year. That was at the end of September I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some effer lifted one of my traps last week!!:mad: I strongly suspect a certain individual but hard to prove:(

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Some effer lifted one of my traps last week!!:mad: I strongly suspect a certain individual but hard to prove:(

Well there's nothing as bad as that. I've never has a trap stollen, but I hear it happening more and more all the time.

• Advertisement

On a lighter note, I had a very good morning this morning. Caught four mink out of seven traps in two lications. That was after more than a week with absolutely nothing in the traps with all the rain and flooding.

Advertisement