Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

L1985 wrote: »
    Hey was out walking today and came across a mink den. How I know it's a mink den is the mink was actually in it looking out at me! We live by a river and it's on a embankment! Problem is that it's around 200 meters from our henhouse no hens have been taken as of yet but it's only a matter of time and they are free range! What's the easiest way of getting rid of it seeing as I know where it lives?

Shotgun or cage trap. Cage traps can be for bout 25euro from co-op's.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭outdoors247

Wouldent be bad how do you collect it do ?

Wouldent be bad how do you collect it do ?

Not 100% sure as i give the tails to the gun club for the points at the annual vermin count. There is a form that you download from the N.A.R.G.C website called the mink bounty form. The details of each mink is recorded i.e. length, sex, weight, location of catch, trap used and method of dispatch. I dont know if this is submitted by the individual or the club along with the tails. I will try find out or maybe someone on here can fill us in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I want to set at least one trap during the summer months this year. How do I stop the mice from eating the bait. I will be able to check it whenever I go fishing as I fish the same spots every year. Presuming that it is mice that is stealing the bait.

I want to set at least one trap during the summer months this year. How do I stop the mice from eating the bait. I will be able to check it whenever I go fishing as I fish the same spots every year. Presuming that it is mice that is stealing the bait.

Use fish heads in this case and tie it to the inside of the cage - presuming it is a cage trap ur using - gaving mice coming in and out of a trap or pocket set aint a bad thing, they cant control their bowel movements so will deficate and urinate constantly which will "scent up" ur trap, mink will hunt mice therefore they are'nt really a bad thing but yes can be a nuisance taking bait. I have video footage from a trail cam i set up on a pocket set of a robin flying in and out of the hole with bits of dog food until its all gone, flying thru the trigger fingers of a 116 bodygrip, so little birds can be d culprit too!!!

• Advertisement

I saw small birds taking my bait last week so I just covered the bait with some soil and still caught mink.I was thinking of getting something with a lid and making small holes to leave out the scent of the bait.That might work.

New video up on youtube of 3 mink i caught paddys day if anyone is interested, type in Minking about on paddys day, some footage of a nice silver/grey buck mink caught in fenn mk6 trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Using cage traps, mk 6 fenns and 116 body grip traps. Used to use air rifle to kill the 1's in cage traps, now i just drown them.

A semi-aquatic animal like mink can hold their breath for a long time, drowning them is cruel and also illegal. Why not use the air rifle when you have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mikeyboo

New video up on youtube of 3 mink i caught paddys day if anyone is interested, type in Minking about on paddys day, some footage of a nice silver/grey buck mink caught in fenn mk6 trap.

just saw the video good result,i started to trap to using a cage,are the traps you use better than cages,or is it just down to trying different things?

A semi-aquatic animal like mink can hold their breath for a long time, drowning them is cruel and also illegal. Why not use the air rifle when you have one?

Sold the pcp in october last year, rather regretfully in hind-sight. I agree drowning is cruel which is part of the reason i now prefer the body grip 116 and mk6 fenn traps, they take care of the job.

• Advertisement

mikeyboo wrote: »
    just saw the video good result,i started to trap to using a cage,are the traps you use better than cages,or is it just down to trying different things?

Cage traps are as effective as other traps, i used them for yrs with good results but my style of trapping now means its easier to carry more traps on me rather then returning to the van for more. Cages are grand too if you're sure no one will find them and take them so again a 116 or fenn mk6 are easy to conceal in a dug out pocket set and when set right death is pretty quick without you having to finish them off. Different locations will suit different traps aswell, some places you wont be able to set a cage trap but the low profile of a fenn or body grip might do the trick and like you said it is a matter of trying different things and find what works best in certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Trapped one under the wheel of my car a couple of weeks ago while he was bungling across the road.
    Felt bad at the time but reading this thread maybe it wasn't such a bad thing.

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Trapped one under the wheel of my car a couple of weeks ago while he was bungling across the road.
    Felt bad at the time but reading this thread maybe it wasn't such a bad thing.

No loss on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mikeyboo

Cage traps are as effective as other traps, i used them for yrs with good results but my style of trapping now means its easier to carry more traps on me rather then returning to the van for more. Cages are grand too if you're sure no one will find them and take them so again a 116 or fenn mk6 are easy to conceal in a dug out pocket set and when set right death is pretty quick without you having to finish them off. Different locations will suit different traps aswell, some places you wont be able to set a cage trap but the low profile of a fenn or body grip might do the trick and like you said it is a matter of trying different things and find what works best in certain places.

cheers for the help :)

mikeyboo wrote: »
    cheers for the help :)

No problem anytime

Total so far for 2015.... only 16

Total so far 2015 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Woodcock shot

My total for 2015 is only 4 but I have only one trap out so can't be too bad!

My total for 2015 is only 4 but I have only one trap out so can't be too bad!

Thats not bad for 1 trap, you keeping it in the 1 location or move it about? Got 2 more Holy Thursday making 18 for the year so far. Was hoping to hit 30 before May but engine went in my "new" van, have to share wives car until its fixed, seriously cut'n back my time at traps!

Now up to 21, 2 bucks and a little female today. Get'n closer to the big 30 target.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

Brilliant video!! That silver fella was a quare one. Where are mink most common in Ireland? Anyone know if Meath has many?

jungleman wrote: »
    Brilliant video!! That silver fella was a quare one. Where are mink most common in Ireland? Anyone know if Meath has many?

Mink are common in every county, i have 21 traps spread over 3 separate areas so i'm pretty much sure of a catch every few days at one location or the other.... i do get periods of no catches at all and thats when i start lookn for more places. I'm lucky i have more places then i can trap.....and a very very understanding missus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Have you lads caught any young mink yet?

Usually june or july before i'd get them. Say'n that, this year i have caught very few females and of them none showed any sign of carrying young, could be due to the number of bucks i've caught in them particular areas so they might have not had the chance to mate or i have caught the females very early in the pregnancy....

Usually june or july before i'd get them. Say'n that, this year i have caught very few females and of them none showed any sign of carrying young, could be due to the number of bucks i've caught in them particular areas so they might have not had the chance to mate or i have caught the females very early in the pregnancy....

I have one trap down at the moment. Went to check it out today. Was just peering down from the top of the bank and a fine beast of a mink flew from the trap like a bat out of hell and landed in the river. It appears it was dining on rat in the trap.The speed he could move at.

I have one trap down at the moment. Went to check it out today. Was just peering down from the top of the bank and a fine beast of a mink flew from the trap like a bat out of hell and landed in the river. It appears it was dining on rat in the trap.The speed he could move at.

Say u got a hop when ya seen that!

Got a hop alright and no implement with me.Checked same trap again yesterday. Thought I would have caught him. Trap not even touched.One would think that once a mink knew there was grub to be had he would be back.

Thats not bad for 1 trap, you keeping it in the 1 location or move it about? Got 2 more Holy Thursday making 18 for the year so far. Was hoping to hit 30 before May but engine went in my "new" van, have to share wives car until its fixed, seriously cut'n back my time at traps!

I've left it in the same spot since end of January and all four caught there, 3 males and one female, I'm hoping to encourage ducks back onto that stretch of river for coming season and sure the extra points are handy for vermin count,

• Advertisement

Now up to 21, 2 bucks and a little female today. Get'n closer to the big 30 target.

Fair play to you lad, nice vid too

Advertisement