Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mink trapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

idnkph wrote: »
    Iv recently moved so looking new permissions at the moment. Local forest had a River running through it to a huge Lake and it's alive with them. It's an coillte so wondering would contacting them and asking them about trapping there?

Here's a great tip I got from a member on here. Go on Google maps, and check out all the rivers, drains in your area. Find bridges, easy access area's and go check them out. You should be able to avoid having to ask permission for the most part! Most fishable rivers will probably have easy access points for fishermen, which you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Eddie B wrote: »
    Great stuff! Any pics? Tell us about your set up, etc!

You find any new locations in your area this year?

I am still trapping the same location.Where I fish.They just keep coming in to fill the empty territory.I only have two traps down approx. 300yds apart.Both conibears 110's I think they are.I will take a photo the next time I check them.Find the wires are braking a lot now.Catching too many mink I think.What is the best way of fixing them.12 caught as of today.

I am still trapping the same location.Where I fish.They just keep coming in to fill the empty territory.I only have two traps down approx. 300yds apart.Both conibears 110's I think they are.I will take a photo the next time I check them.Find the wires are braking a lot now.Catching too many mink I think.What is the best way of fixing them.12 caught as of today.

That's a great tally from one stretch of river. To replace the wires, just get a piece of wire similar thickness to original trigger wire, drill out the pop rivet in trigger, remove old trigger wire and bend new wire to match shape of old wire. Replace and either pop rivet, or use a small screw and nut to close up trigger again. Simple enough!

I am doing that was hoping you might have a quick fix solution.Are the self tappers any good.

I am doing that was hoping you might have a quick fix solution.Are the self tappers any good.

Yea thats exactly what you need! You can buy replacment triggers on line but it costs a bit with postage. If you were thinking of buying more traps in the future, it's worth buying some spare triggers too.

Sorry lad, edited to add, not to use self tappers. Has to be little screw and nut! The lock nuts with plastic inside the rim to stop them from loosening! Self tappers will pop in no time.

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Yea thats exactly what you need! You can buy replacment triggers on line but it costs a bit with postage. If you were thinking of buying more traps in the future, it's worth buying some spare triggers too.

Sorry lad, edited to add, not to use self tappers. Has to be little screw and nut! The lock nuts with plastic inside the rim to stop them from loosening! Self tappers will pop in no time.

Copper nails might be a better bet. If I can get them thin enough. Use them as a rivet.Alot easier to deform.

Copper nails might be a better bet. If I can get them thin enough. Use them as a rivet.Alot easier to deform.

I bought a cheap rivet gun in "Mr Price" or some of those stores. It came with four packets of rivers of different sizes for only seven euro. Well worth the money.

Use it for all kinds of things, including trap repair and modification. Even installed a few pan's on bodygrip traps with them. Work a treat too!

Have you any photo of the one with a pan Eddie.Is there an advantage using a pan.

Have you any photo of the one with a pan Eddie.Is there an advantage using a pan.

20150426_124802_zpsrta48e1y.jpg

Here's two different designs I tried. Nearest one was too big, but made it smaller since this photo, and working well now. It makes for a bigger opening, so less chance of a mink turning away from the trap. You get the odd one who doesn't commit as easy as the average mink! They work better in box's as well, but I don't use many of them.

On one of my conibears one of the wires broke and it seems to better at catching mink as they go in further before triggering the trap.It also is not as visable to the target species.

• Advertisement

On one of my conibears one of the wires broke and it seems to better at catching mink as they go in further before triggering the trap.It also is not as visable to the target species.

Yea thats true! Only thing with that is, you risk the chance of a small mink, slipping through without firing the trap. Some females are very small.

I once had a trap with one broken wire, and caught a small buck mink, which got caught on the way back out of the trap, lucky enough!

14 mink as of today.

I am going to try to modify the wires on a conibear by bending them in so the mink will go in further in to the trap. So rather than have its nose or head trigger the trap it will be triggered by its back.So a more positive trapping will be the result. OK you might miss a very small mink but you should have less of a chance of missing trapping the animal when it goes off.

I am going to try to modify the wires on a conibear by bending them in so the mink will go in further in to the trap. So rather than have its nose or head trigger the trap it will be triggered by its back.So a more positive trapping will be the result. OK you might miss a very small mink but you should have less of a chance of missing trapping the animal when it goes off.

This is the formation I use on most my traps. No mink, big or small gets through without getting caught. The circular shape of the trigger wires will entice the mink to pop through it, rather than squeeze past the wires. But either way, no mink should be able to fire a bodygrip trap without getting caught!

shareimage20160321_210922_zpsmaykv9kb.jpg

I agree with you Eddie but would it not be more enticing if there was no obstacles in the way of the mink just maybe a wire going accross the top of and at the back of the entrance.

I agree with you Eddie but would it not be more enticing if there was no obstacles in the way of the mink just maybe a wire going accross the top of and at the back of the entrance.

Yes of course! If you can modify in such a way, that you have a big opening, as well as not allowing mink avoid firing the trap, then your on a winner. Try it out for us, and let us know how well it works. Maybe stick up a picture of your mod, and set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hollowpoint

New vid up on YouTube for anyone interested, search for mink trapping dec 2015. Hope everyone has traps down, 37 so far since September. ..

Anyone trapping at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Yes, but no luck. Catching a few rats though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yes, but no luck. Catching a few rats though!

Same as - last mink I had was back in May. Some amount of rats around the place too!!:(

• Advertisement

Yea, I'm trapping the last few weeks

Checked my trap yesterday evening. Nothing went near it. Water level was quite low. Maybe if we get a flood it might change things. Might be a good sign too as in no mink to be trapped.

Checked my trap yesterday evening. Nothing went near it. Water level was quite low. Maybe if we get a flood it might change things. Might be a good sign too as in no mink to be trapped.

Water level doesn't really matter. Saying that i'd rather it too low, than too high. Have you traps set long? It often takes a number of days, or even weeks. If you've set for say close to a week with nothing, then yes, it's a good indication that their ain't many mink on that stretch of rIver.

Trapping in January/February can get good results. All those big bucks who spend most the year hunting bog drains, rabbit warrens and ditches, return to and travel the main rivers looking to mate. A river with not much sign of activity now, might produce four or five mink in Jan/Feb

3 days Eddie. I normally get one fairly quickly. I think when water levels are low that mink tend to feed in the river rather than along the bank. Or maybe a trap closer to the water would be better as in one to two feet from the waters edge.

3 days Eddie. I normally get one fairly quickly. I think when water levels are low that mink tend to feed in the river rather than along the bank. Or maybe a trap closer to the water would be better as in one to two feet from the waters edge.

Yea I set a few traps at each locatation. I set at different heights of the bank to cover all levels and incase of flooding. Each location is different. Some you can set close to the waters edge with nice sloped banks, ledges, and sandbanks. Others have deep water with steep banks meaning you can only set high up on the bank. I really like the idea of using feathers. They catch a minks eye, and even one that's swimming by might just catch a glimpse of those feathers and stop for a look.

Three days ain't that bad. I too usually catch within the first three days, but every mink is different and their's no set rules. Sometimes that first one plays hard to get. Might be in it tomorrow. After a week, it's time to change tactics or move on. Up to you! Any sign in mud? Scat on rocks?

Last year I went almost two weeks with nothing. Not even a rat. Thing is, i saw tracks, so thats why i held out. I was using fish for bait and fish always works. Anyway, I decided to change to a different bait, and so tried a piece of pigeon, feathers and all. I tried pigeon because that's all I had. Anyway, next morning I had an old buck mink. He had a couple teeth missing and coat was in bad nick. Why he wouldn't go for the fish, I don't know.

Here is a pic of a set I made. It aint that far from the waters edge. On low water streams with sandbanks I often set inches from the waters edge. Deep rivers with steep banks, I set where ever I can find a decent location. You study the stretch of rIver your gonna set on. Walk it, and pick out the best locations, and set the best of them.

traping006.jpg

Have you a fenn trap in that sett Eddie.

Have you a fenn trap in that sett Eddie.

I believe so. That was taken a few years ago mind. I set my conibears the same way, but cut out a notch for the spring.

shareimage20160814_183308_zpsi03u3xpz.jpg

Here's one that's finnished. Just a matter of adding a few sticks to make it look more inviting.

DSC00051.jpg

Sorry bout the small pics. Can't seem to find a decent image hosting site.

Which trap is the best. Cutting out a notch for the spring can be troublesome and you lose the squareness of the sett.

• Advertisement

Which trap is the best. Cutting out a notch for the spring can be troublesome and you lose the squareness of the sett.

Well I find them both very good to be honest. The Fenn is a little handier to place in those pockets, but the conibears/bodygrips are a better killing trap, with less misses or fowl catches.

The notch is only cut in an inch of two, so doesn't change the shape of the pocket as such, but does take a bit longer to do. It's not altogether necessary, but allows you to set the trap further into the pocket, and helps stabilise the trap.

Advertisement