Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health At Every Size

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

Tarzana2 wrote: »

This young gentleman helpfully informed me as he walked by me that I looked saggy of tit. Once the mortification passed, the jumper was relegated to being worn when doing housework. :pac: I kinda already knew it was an awful jumper but I got a nice little nudge that day.

Saggy of tit !!!! Did he actually say this , I'm sorry but I laughed out loud, it's not funny when it happens to you but if he said it that way I'm sure you giggle about it. I was walking down the road one day feeling good, thinking I was looking good , had a tan, the high heels on, mini skirt etc. a car going by slowed down there were a number of lads in it..,, cue the wolf whistles and howareyaluv .,, so mortified I kept walkin and one of them lets out a roar " show us ur p*ss flaps love" true story! I still shudder when I think about it!

Oh and well done you with the big boobies, some of us would love that complaint ha ha

UCDVet wrote: »
    This is completely off-topic, but I knew a guy who HONESTLY believed stuff like that would work in his favor. The guy was a compulsive liar so I don't really know how successful or unsuccessful he actually was, but he'd hit on women, and if it wasn't going well, he'd insult them in a friendly way. Kind of like a, 'Hey, come'on - you aren't going to do any better than me!'

I thought it sounded disgusting, but he swore by it.

It's a form of that PUA thing isn't it. Compulsive liars do quite well with women too from what I can see. They select their targets carefully and work their magic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

That guy in the bar - crikey! Although talking about his hair-loss is heading down to his level

Nah, in this case, it's absolutely fair game, IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

estudent wrote: »
    You'd be surprised. I've witnessed many a GAA player go home with the biggest ladies at the club when the skinny girls don't get any attention.

See, I think it has to do with personality too. A lot of skinnier girls might be shallow and conceited and the GAA players see them as high maintenance.

So, in short, muck savages are chubby chasers?

What!? Even if the fat girl isnt their sister???

While I don't endorse using such coarse language, I would agree with not hiding your magnificent boobage under a polo-neck - instead, wear v-necks to emphasise and complement your cleavage in its glory. Not really low-cut tops, just v-necks. That's just mean in general btw, not specifically you. :pac:

I know, I have no idea what I was thinking. I think I thought mine weren't big enough to fall under that advice, they go between a C and D cup depending on weight.

• Advertisement

Kelly06 wrote: »
    Saggy of tit !!!! Did he actually say this , I'm sorry but I laughed out loud, it's not funny when it happens to you but if he said it that way I'm sure you giggle about it.

Nah, he just said "Saggy tits" as he was walking past. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Charmer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Um, you don't have to believe every street-side comment....

The pr1ck. I have never once commented on a random strangers appearance in a negative way whilst walking by them. what's wrong with people

That guy in the bar - crikey! Although talking about his hair-loss is heading down to his level. And baldness isn't something that can be controlled.

Ah I never slagged him about his hair loss, i didn't say a word, I just sat and listened to him in disbelief. I wouldn't do that its just a thought I had while he was ripping my appearance to shreds because the lights were reflecting off his head! I have a few male friends who are loosing their hair and I know how upsetting it is for them so I would be conscious of that !

• Advertisement

katemarch wrote: »
    Um, you don't have to believe every street-side comment....

Well, my point was that this was the one time I did, I usually wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭estudent

OP - you'd be better served asking the actual question you want to ask...

I'm guessing either (a) you're overweight and want to know if there are people here who find that attractive, or (b) you're attracted to overweight people and are looking for that to be validated here?

No, I've always been skinny and could never put on weight no matter how much I ate (until late 20s)

Some suggested weight lifting and high protein diet but I never bothered with that. As a teenager, I became very depressed about being skinny due to opinions of others and expressed my concerns to GP who argued it was just the result of a fast metabolism and that I'd fill out in late 20s (which is true)

Of course, this explanation did absolutely nothing to reassure me at the time and instead of acting upon my insecurity, my self-esteem slowly eroded away to the point I wouldn't chat up girls I was attracted to anymore. This then led some friends to believe I was gay, but truthfully, I was just deeply unhappy with my appearance and kept thinking girls didn't find me attractive. I would not go out like my friends did, opting instead to play video games and drink alcohol. I isolated myself, which in hindsight is pretty pathetic.

I had the ability to be muscular with weight training but just believed it to be contrived and imposed as a response to how society wanted me to look. Potentially more desirable to women but only those judging me by appearance.

I'd continually observe and over-analyze attitudes among friends, family with regards to appearances (specifically weight) and from my own experience can empathize with women having low self-esteem due to their weight. I think it's sad many women are forced to strive for the perfect body (as society dictates through magazines, television, personal opinions) even if it's unattainable due to genetics or personal beliefs. Men are too, incidentally.

I'm not suggesting all overweight or underweight people cannot achieve a normal body weight but I know from personal experience, it just isn't always possible in the manner some have suggested. There are many factors that prevent this being possible and society tends to forget that. There are other considerations.

Anyway, I'm not looking for validation on whether it's acceptable to find overweight people attractive although I do wonder if there exists women who find overweight men attractive the way some men find women.

I wouldn't be attracted to a woman because she was overweight but I find those women to have same insecurities I had growing up. There's some commonality I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This young gentleman helpfully informed me as he walked by me that I looked saggy of tit.
    Da fuq? X 10000000. Who are these gobshítes. Seriously. Did any of them ever get their ears clipped(or worse) when building what passes for their adult personalities? Clearly not.
    I wonder was he doing that PUA "negging" bullsh-t.
    I doubt it, unless he read it wrong. Then again he sounds like someone who would be silently mouthing the words while reading a headline in the Sun. "Negging" broken down is basically a System(tm) for socially autistic "men" to understand basic banter and conversation.
    That's a really cool story ("brah" :pac: - they're ****ing obsessed with that stupid word on that forum!)
    They are that. Like your PUA(and them) are fond of the phrase "no homo". Which I think is hiiifeckinglarious. Hell man(or is that Brah), if you're that unsure/sensitive about your sexual leanings, just knob a bloke and be done with it, so at least you can work out if it's for you, or not. That said those sites are very US culturally based and biased. A culture that sends a helluva lot of mixed messages at young blokes, so I can understand their confusion TBH.
    And yes, that forum has some utterly vile posters, so it is heartening to see another side to it.
    +1. A very cool story and warms the oul cockles(no homo) to see the level of actual, time and money on the table support they gave and continue to give the chap. Kudos.
    No, I've always been skinny and could never put on weight no matter how much I ate (until late 20s)

Some suggested weight lifting and high protein diet but I never bothered with that. As a teenager, I became very depressed about being skinny due to opinions of others and expressed my concerns to GP who argued it was just the result of a fast metabolism and that I'd fill out in late 20s (which is true)
    More likely E, IMH anyway, is that you were slightly less active and were eating slightly more in your late 20's. I really don't buy the metabolism explanation. As I pointed out earlier, fatter people have a faster/higher metabolic rate. As a thin guy I feel the cold like a bastard. If I was heavier(or very muscly) I wouldn't to nearly the same degree. Why? My metabolic rate is lower, I generate less internal heat for my body. Look at local population adaptations to climate. In very hot climates humans are long of bone and thin of fat, lower internal heat and more surface area to wick of external heat. In very cold climates, people get shorter and stockier and carry extra weight(in fat and/or muscle). Compare a Maasai to an Inuit.
    I isolated myself, which in hindsight is pretty pathetic.
    Not really E, you did what you had to do and what worked for you at the time and you realised the folly of it down the line. Fcuk all pathetic about that.
    I'm not suggesting all overweight or underweight people cannot achieve a normal body weight but I know from personal experience, it just isn't always possible in the manner some have suggested. There are many factors that prevent this being possible and society tends to forget that. There are other considerations.
    Oh sure. Body frame for a start. Now no doubt if I hit the gym and got roided up and all that I could get bigger in muscle, but there would be a limit and no mistake. With major effort and obsession I might approach the Bruce Lee build, but no way in hell would I ever get near a big guy, my frame, nor my muscle fibre makeup is just not built for it. My 6.3 inch wrists on a bodybuilders body would look like a bad photoshop job. :D
    Anyway, I'm not looking for validation on whether it's acceptable to find overweight people attractive although I do wonder if there exists women who find overweight men attractive the way some men find women.
    I'm sure there are. I have noted that such women are nearly always heavy themselves and the guy being heavier in some ways makes them feel less self conscious. One might argue that in evolutionary terms fat men are much less viable than fat women. In environments which have lean and good times, but more lean, a fatter woman(within reason of course) will be fertile and will survive a pregnancy better and have enough to spare to wean a child than a skinny woman. Back in the day she could still gather food and all that. A fat man is a liability. He's less mobile, so a worse hunter, would need more calories and is likely to be less fertile than a fit/normal/thin bloke. While culture overlays a helluva lot onto our basic animalistic nature, I reckon that's why there would be less love for the fat man. Plus it is a sellers market for women to a great degree. Men do the pursuing, on the surface anyway, so men are slightly on the back foot, so are more likely to have more open preferences. Put it another way, of the size 18/20/and more women I've known pretty much none were short of male attention over their lives, the equivalent kinda size in men I've known? Female attention was minimal to zero.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote:
    More likely E, IMH anyway, is that you were slightly less active and were eating slightly more in your late 20's. I really don't buy the metabolism explanation. As I pointed out earlier, fatter people have a faster/higher metabolic rate. As a thin guy I feel the cold like a bastard. If I was heavier(or very muscly) I wouldn't to nearly the same degree. Why? My metabolic rate is lower, I generate less internal heat for my body. Look at local population adaptations to climate. In very hot climates humans are long of bone and thin of fat, lower internal heat and more surface area to wick of external heat. In very cold climates, people get shorter and stockier and carry extra weight(in fat and/or muscle). Compare a Maasai to an Inuit.

You know, you're making a lot of assumptions there, Wibbs.

I could walk an average of 5-10KM each day and when I cycle, it's up to 30KM yet this hasn't much impact on my weight because it doesn't fluctuate the way it might for others.

I started to fill out around 28 and this isn't because I was eating more, it's because metabolism amongst most people tends to slow down in late 20s.

If you think Metabolism is BS, fine...but I have seen this affect many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Wibbs wrote: »
    Da fuq? X 10000000. Who are these gobshítes. Seriously. Did any of them ever get their ears clipped(or worse) when building what passes for their adult personalities? Clearly not.

I doubt it, unless he read it wrong. Then again he sounds like someone who would be silently mouthing the words while reading a headline in the Sun. "Negging" broken down is basically a System(tm) for socially autistic "men" to understand basic banter and conversation.

They are that. Like your PUA(and them) are fond of the phrase "no homo". Which I think is hiiifeckinglarious. Hell man(or is that Brah), if you're that unsure/sensitive about your sexual leanings, just knob a bloke and be done with it, so at least you can work out if it's for you, or not. That said those sites are very US culturally based and biased. A culture that sends a helluva lot of mixed messages at young blokes, so I can understand their confusion TBH.

+1. A very cool story and warms the oul cockles(no homo) to see the level of actual, time and money on the table support they gave and continue to give the chap. Kudos.

Not really E, you did what you had to do and what worked for you at the time and you realised the folly of it down the line. Fcuk all pathetic about that.

Oh sure. Body frame for a start. Now no doubt if I hit the gym and got roided up and all that I could get bigger in muscle, but there would be a limit and no mistake. With major effort and obsession I might approach the Bruce Lee build, but no way in hell would I ever get near a big guy, my frame, nor my muscle fibre makeup is just not built for it. My 6.3 inch wrists on a bodybuilders body would look like a bad photoshop job. :D

I'm sure there are. I have noted that such women are nearly always heavy themselves and the guy being heavier in some ways makes them feel less self conscious. One might argue that in evolutionary terms fat men are much less viable than fat women. In environments which have lean and good times, but more lean, a fatter woman(within reason of course) will be fertile and will survive a pregnancy better and have enough to spare to wean a child than a skinny woman. Back in the day she could still gather food and all that. A fat man is a liability. He's less mobile, so a worse hunter, would need more calories and is likely to be less fertile than a fit/normal/thin bloke. While culture overlays a helluva lot onto our basic animalistic nature, I reckon that's why there would be less love for the fat man. Plus it is a sellers market for women to a great degree. Men do the pursuing, on the surface anyway, so men are slightly on the back foot, so are more likely to have more open preferences. Put it another way, of the size 18/20/and more women I've known pretty much none were short of male attention over their lives, the equivalent kinda size in men I've known? Female attention was minimal to zero.

What seriously? People in Northern Europe ie. Cold are the tallest in the world while people in tropical places like India are some of the shortest :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Obesity is no longer regarded as kcals in=energy out simple formula.

Interesting stuff here, and here, and here, here, or here.

HAES makes the point that we seem to have forgotten that correlation is not causation and looks at things the other way around: what if obesity is the body's way of dealing with diabetes? rather than obesity causing diabetes Type 2.

While calories and intake are important, we also need to consider psychological, social and cultural factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I remember from medical law and ethics that obese people can't sue you for discrimination unless their weight counts as a disability , which for most obese people isn't the case .

There is no set weight that counts as a disability . It was on sky news recently enough. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

op
    I see the video gives a shout to bertha lovejoy 1 second in.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/2g99vg/who_is_berta_lovejoy/

The video is a wind-up, of course, all nonsense.

While calories and intake are important, we also need to consider psychological, social and cultural factors.

On AH, these things aren't even considered unfortunately!

It's amazing to me some posters highlight the satirical nature of the video to justify their own prejudices.

• Advertisement

Imagine that video was about Gays, Lesbians or Transgenders.

Anyone that disputes genetics is labelled a homophobe or bigot.

Great thread.

You remember this for the record...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Just exactly who are these 'health at any weight' clowns trying to fool?

Oh yeah, being built like a dump truck is OK for your health.

No it isn't.

Just exactly who are these 'health at any weight' clowns trying to fool?

Oh yeah, being built like a dump truck is OK for your health.

No it isn't.

Bunch of fat ****s trying to validate themselves. Dickheads.

Would you say the same about LGBT?

Remember, it's genetic...

Would you say the same about LGBT?

Remember, it's genetic...

I'm talking about fat myths.

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm talking about fat myths.

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm talking about genetics.

The fact is, some people are fat or thin based purely on their DNA.

I myself was skinny for many years but this is unacceptable to society.
    Just as being fat is unacceptable to society.

However, if you're a man and like to dress like a woman, that's perfectly normal. Isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I know lots of women who prefer their men 'cuddly'. They genuinely like bigger men, and not rugger-bugger big, but bearing a few extra stone and sure what of it.

Can't say I know of a similar "fat fetish" and "feeder types" among women but the same can be said for lots of types of porn that you just don't see reflected or portrayed through the female gaze. Maybe it's out there. Who knows. IMHO women tend to work more from a 'bigger picture' perspective anyway, of which physical appearance will just be one (important) facet determining attraction, so maybe that's why you don't see the same spotlight on it from a female perspective.

The thing with slim people though is that it doesn't necessarily have to point towards someone that "cares more about how they look" or is putting some big effort into maintaining their weight through a disciplined diet and diligent exercise regime.

The last six months or so for me have been a sh1tstorm of poor food choices and lack of exercise owing to personal circumstances and my weight dropped a little to the point of the compliments and the "have you been working out?" comments. I've never been big and I didn't have much to lose in the first place but it naturally dropped because I wasn't eating a lot and the lack of exercise from being formerly very active reduced my appetite. This assumption that it's linked to some kind of self-discipline or greater self-respect is inaccurate and kind of laughable really. I've been stressed. Food hasn't been a focus.

I'm just eating less. Bigger people are eating more. Consuming more calories than they need. Maybe because food is a crutch, or maybe just because they like food and that outweighs (ba dum tish) their need to be slimmer.

I think the weight obsessed culture we live in makes it very hard for people - especially women in this instance - to just own that fact, accept it and admit it. Because being a 'bigger lady' has become such a judgement call. You're bigger, therefore you're lazy, ugly slovenly, with self-esteem and self-respect issues, less feminine and less appealing than your slim counterparts.

In the face of that people naturally go on the uber-defense, resulting in these "real women have curves" campaigns and "you can be healthy at any size" claims that in turn exasperate people and provoke more judgements and more nastiness.

I think if we lived in a society where fat people could be free to hold up their hands and say "yeah I eat too much. Fcuk it, I love food. And what of it?" there'd be less of this Fat v Slim divide and the multi-billion dollar empire we've seen built around it.

In my experience, the more you obsess over your weight, the harder it is to keep it in a healthy range. If you're a woman it likely means you yo-yo diet, maybe compulsively exercise and eat nothing but crumbs a la fad-diet-of-the-moment for a few weeks in order to drastically reduce your weight, only for it to come back and bite you on the bum (literally) when your appetite catches up with you.

Do that for a few years and your metabolism will begin to suffer. Add the usual stress and emotions to the equation - guilt, shame, self-disgust, feelings of failure and inadequacy - and emotional eating is likely to start to play a part. And there you have a woman who will be overweight, drastically dieting and binge eating to comfort herself and so the cycle continues into obesity.

If weight wasn't such a social currency, such an exclusive club from which you are excluded if you're outside of a very narrowly defined focus of what is "attractive", people wouldn't be so obsessed. Fad diet culture wouldn't have such a stronghold. There would still be fat people because that's the world we live in, but more people would be likely to eat for fuel rather than comfort and not measure the success of their day on how they managed to avoid eating X, Y and Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

However, if you're a man and like to dress like a woman, that's perfectly normal. Isn't it?

No. It's rare that you get the opportunity to tell someone that they are completely, irrevocably and unequivocally wrong but this is one of them.

Genetics will determine your body structure but anyone, aside from a select few who suffer from thyroid problems, can lower their body fat/alter their body composition to a level which renders them to be "fit" or "in shape". You might have bigger legs/arms than some, or tend to store fat in certain areas, but the bottom line is that with a consistent diet and exercise regime you can overcome it.

This post is a load of bollox, really.

Genetics may explain many things but people have a choice whether they want to be fat or not. Things may be made difficult by misinformation and the bull**** that is put out there by a lot of fools and charlatans, but in reality, things boil down to a simple decision to lose weight.

Anyone who is the size of a dump-truck has made a decision to allow things to come to that.

That may sound harsh, and it is really considering that some people struggle with their weight, but your post is well wide of the mark.

No. It's rare you get the opportunity to tell someone that they are completely, irrevocably and unequivocally wrong but this is one of them.

Genetics will determine your body structure but anyone, aside from a select few who suffer from thyroid problems, can lower their body fat/alter their body composition to a level which renders them to be "fit" or "in shape". You might have bigger legs/arms than some, or tend to store fat in certain areas, but the bottom line is that with a consistent diet and exercise regime you can overcome it.

You're contradicting LGBT beliefs with this opinion.

If a man wants to be a woman, it's genetic.
    If a woman wants to be a man, it's genetic.

Just as a woman desires another woman.
    Just as a man desires another man.

Just as a man desires a young boy...oh...sorry, Are we talking about gay rights here?
    Fat people are fat because of genetics just the same as a Man desires another man, it's genetic.

Can't you see you're just a bigot and homophobe?
    You're a fatophobe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Is this 600lbs guy someone who you would consider to be someone who's fat because of genetics?

a4NNncN.jpg

Advertisement