Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health At Every Size

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

HAES is an almighty amount of bull****.

If someone is overweight or obese and they're fine with the negative impact on their health and the general restrictions it'll place on their lives, that's fine. That's their choice.

But deluding themselves into thinking it's actually healthy or natural is a load of ****. It's not healthy. Even if someone isn't suffering the effects of it now doesn't mean it's not having a negative effect. And the people who pedal this HAES bull**** are doing nothing more than aiding people's delusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Penn wrote: »

If someone is overweight or obese and they're fine with the negative impact on their health and the general restrictions it'll place on their lives, that's fine. That's their choice.

But deluding themselves into thinking it's actually healthy or natural is a load of ****. It's not healthy. Even if someone isn't suffering the effects of it now doesn't mean it's not having a negative effect. And the people who pedal this HAES bull**** are doing nothing more than aiding people's delusions.

Bloody hell, I thought the HAES "movement" (oxymoronic) was a pisstake! Apparently not -

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_at_Every_Size

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Overweight with a decent level of fitness is much healthier than "normal" weight and feck all fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am no scientist but I think that video might be a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

There are too many fat (and terribly skinny) people around now and the number that put it down to health reasons seems ridiculous. Maybe you have health reasons because you ate enough to be a fat and unhealthy!!

It's not difficult to eat relatively healthily or go for a walk. A lot of people these days are lazy. What really bugs me is the crap a load of fat girls talk about "skinny" or toned girls. My girlfriend is well toned, worked with her one summer when we met, and the heavy girls used to talk about her bitching cause she was slim and saying things like she doesn't eat, though she eats 3 meals a day and we pig out on a Saturday.

What is the secret to keeping healthy?

- Don't starve yourself and eating disciplined 5 days a week.
    - Eat what you want and have a few drinks, go out for a meal/takeaway on Saturday (or day of choice)
    - Join a gym, club, team or just buy a pair of trainers and get out
    - A roast on a Sunday :)
    - Stop being a greedy pig and close your mouth
    - If you believe those fad diets, you're the bigger fool

In Summary, if you don't want to be fat (for those without health issues) Eat less, cook decent food and move more!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Penn wrote: »

It's a blatant pisstake. I'd worry for anyone that actually takes that video seriously. Obesity would be the least of their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

estudent wrote: »
    If it's genetic, there's not much can be done though.

It's a bit like telling a skinny person with high metabolism to eat more when it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Bull****.

Calories in > Calories out = Weight Gain
    Calories in < Calories out = Weight Loss

Nothing genetic about it. It's that simple, however the changes are slow.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 33,338 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    It's a blatant pisstake. I'd worry for anyone that actually takes that video seriously. Obesity would be the least of their problems.

That video in the OP is a pisstake. However, it's a pisstake of the real HAES mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I've noticed that even unhealthy obese women are physically attractive to some alpha males. I've yet to see examples of women that find obese men physically attractive and I'm wondering why this

I'm sure you've heard the saying 'Every hole is a goal'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

If people could be genetically fat without eating they would have outbred the rest of us about 1,000,000 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

It's a bit like telling a skinny person with high metabolism to eat more when it wouldn't make much of a difference.
    Genetics isn't allowed to break the First Law of Thermodynamics. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.

It might take some time, and some ways of doing it are more efficient than others, but when your body needs to produce energy to, you know, live, it'll start breaking down it's own cells if you don't feed it enough. If you have lots of fat cells, well, they're some of the easiest to break down so the body goes for them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I guess it's denial from people who are so massively overweight that losing any significant weight seems pretty much impossible.

I've put on Christmas "padding" and it sucks. I don't believe people who say they're fine with being obese, unless they have a kinda fetish thing going on.

As of today, I'm watching the diet, limiting the drink, and going exercising. But it's easy for me to do that; some people can't even walk up a few stair-steps - it's those ones who are probably the main advocates of this HAES thing. I don't believe in being cruel to people who are very overweight but you have to be truthful. It's not gonna kill you if you're a size 16 (and it's easy to do something about it - may take a long time, but you're not in the position that you can barely walk a few steps without being out of breath) however if you're super-obese you're in a dangerous place, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Being overweight and being healthy are mutually exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

pragmatic1 wrote: »

Some people are so apoplectic in their dislike for overweight and obese people that they are completely hair trigger on the subject which dulls their receptiveness to nuance. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

That video has to be a pisstake and an unfunny one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Going for fat or obese girls is a fetish more than anything else. A low body fat percentage is a universally attractive trait in men and women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Going for fat or obese girls is a fetish more than anything else. A low body fat percentage is a universally attractive trait in men and women.

I dunno what you mean by low - but I'm not sure I'd agree.
    http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Health At Every Size (HAES) is quite simply the belief that women are healthy at all sizes. Nutritionists are constantly shaming bigger ladies and telling us that we're unhealthy based off inaccurate studies and a possible agenda.

I like big women, find them incredibly sexy as hell but not so big that it would affect their health.

I've noticed that even unhealthy obese women are physically attractive to some alpha males. I've yet to see examples of women that find obese men physically attractive and I'm wondering why this is.

You could say the ideal man for a lot of women is muscular, tall man with good income or just a good income (to provide security for offspring) but rarely have I heard of women seeking out fat men specifically the way some men would women..

I was watching this video and it was talking about how it's all genetic, that it's natural for women to be bigger and I tend to agree but this video is suggesting that even obesity is normal which I disagree with.

Any thoughts on why women don't seek out 'big men' as a mating partner?

You've gotta love the way that her "Health at every size" sample screen is a picture of a woman who she describes as 'severely underweigh'. So - Health at every fat size then?
    There's a horrible breed of feminism that seems to absolute despise women who watch what they eat and get a bit of exercise, particularly pretty women - "Skinny bitches", as they're referred to in that god-awful song. Nothing I've ever seen or heard has convinced me that it is motivated by anything other than the green-eyed monster.

What universe are you living in that you think your opinion is in any way universal?

If I'm attracted to a girl, I'm not thinking about her "body fat percentage" nonsense.

UCDVet wrote: »
    I dunno what you mean by low - but I'm not sure I'd agree.
    http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Low as in not having excess amounts of body fat. The healthy body fat percentage recommended by doctors.

• Advertisement

What universe are you living in that you think your opinion is in any way universal?

If I'm attracted to a girl, I'm not thinking about her "body fat percentage" nonsense.

We are biologically hard wired to find fit, lean and healthy male and female bodies most attractive. A tall mans height is also universally attractive trait to women, they may find short men also attractive but shortness is not a universally attractive trait as it doesn't show strength and fertility. In the same way that heavier women may be attractive to us, but a very healthy fit body will be most attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Low as in not having excess amounts of body fat. The healthy body fat percentage recommended by doctors.

Gotcha. So 'low' as in, normal? Having too low or too high a body fat percentage is not recommended by doctors; for women I think it's usually between 21%-33%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

What the fook is that video??? :eek:

We are biologically hard wired to find fit, lean and healthy male and female bodies most attractive. A tall mans height is also universally attractive trait to women, they may find short men also attractive but shortness is not a universally attractive trait as it doesn't show strength and fertility. In the same way that heavier women may be attractive to us, but a very healthy fit body will be most attractive.

So nothing about cultural differences or diversity or any of the rest of it that indicates human beings certainly aren't biologically hardwired for anything, but just you extrapolating your western idealism upon the rest of the world?

Right, I understand now where you're coming from.

So nothing about cultural differences or diversity or any of the rest of it that indicates human beings certainly aren't biologically hardwired for anything, but just you extrapolating your western idealism upon the rest of the world?

Right, I understand now where you're coming from.

Ok yeah, Im sure in India or wherever men find fit lean women repulsive and in south america women shudder at the thought of dating a man of above average height. Despite cultural differences, humans in general find a number of physical characteristics universally attractive. And numerous studies across different nations, races, religions and ethnic and age groups have shown this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I guess it's denial from people who are so massively overweight that losing any significant weight seems pretty much impossible.

I've put on Christmas "padding" and it sucks. I don't believe people who say they're fine with being obese, unless they have a kinda fetish thing going on.

As of today, I'm watching the diet, limiting the drink, and going exercising. But it's easy for me to do that; some people can't even walk up a few stair-steps - it's those ones who are probably the main advocates of this HAES thing. I don't believe in being cruel to people who are very overweight but you have to be truthful. It's not gonna kill you if you're a size 16 (and it's easy to do something about it - may take a long time, but you're not in the position that you can barely walk a few steps without being out of breath) however if you're super-obese you're in a dangerous place, no two ways about it.

Also seems like an attempt to sort of level the 'playing field' in dating. Even though it's easier, and better for lots of reasons, to just lose the weight these women desperately try to change people's perceptions on what's considered typically attractive. It's hilarious because not only is it not needed, as there are lots of people into fat men/women, but it's so easily seen through and mocked by a lot of people. A good example is how misused the term 'curvy' has become in the last few years and also when people talk about "meat on bones" when speaking about fat - fat is not meat, muscle is.

Here's a link to an absolutely amazing thread where OP was over 600lbs and the forum members motivated him to start making a change when he had given up. He's since lost ~300lbs and is working harder than ever and also learning to cook nice and healthy meals that stick to his caloric needs to keep up the weight loss. The forum members all donated to get him a new couch as one of them worked at a store near him, and they've also helped pay for food some weeks and also helped get him on life insurance. His mother even made a video thanking them for saving her son's life!

This guy was a perfect example of someone who one would assume had some medical condition inhibiting weight loss or that it was impossible to do, but he's proven that's definitely not how it is in his case. It's also motivating because of how the community came through and helped him so much even when the forum is mostly a cesspit of trolls.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160565211

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Women's magazines:

50% "How to boost your self esteem and be happy in yourself"
    50% "How to lose 14lbs in two weeks"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Seriously, they'd be as well off making a video called "Ugly chicks are in fact hot."
    They're not.
    Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭estudent

Women's magazines:

50% "How to boost your self esteem and be happy in yourself"
    50% "How to lose 14lbs in two weeks"

Exactly. If anything is responsible for making women feel bad about how they look, it's magazines written specifically for women by women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭estudent

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Seriously, they'd be as well off making a video called "Ugly chicks are in fact hot."
    They're not.
    Get over it.

Different strokes. A girl that's ugly to you might be beautiful to another.

Advertisement