Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health At Every Size

Options
  • 31-12-2014 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Health At Every Size (HAES) is quite simply the belief that women are healthy at all sizes. Nutritionists are constantly shaming bigger ladies and telling us that we're unhealthy based off inaccurate studies and a possible agenda.

I like big women, find them incredibly sexy as hell but not so big that it would affect their health.

I've noticed that even unhealthy obese women are physically attractive to some alpha males. I've yet to see examples of women that find obese men physically attractive and I'm wondering why this is.

You could say the ideal man for a lot of women is muscular, tall man with good income or just a good income (to provide security for offspring) but rarely have I heard of women seeking out fat men specifically the way some men would women..

I was watching this video and it was talking about how it's all genetic, that it's natural for women to be bigger and I tend to agree but this video is suggesting that even obesity is normal which I disagree with.

Any thoughts on why women don't seek out 'big men' as a mating partner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Because they are fat and wobble a lot ?

A new reg making a video about fat chicks? Awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What a bizarre and delusional video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Just the thread to finish off which has been at best a below average year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭estudent

A new reg making a video about fat chicks? Awesome.

I actually believe it's womens magazines that are most critical on weight issues and apply the most pressure on women to lose weight because I don't see any mens magazines critical of women for weight issues.

I generally disapprove of magazines targeting women that discuss diets and crap like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

estudent wrote: »
    Health At Every Size (HAES) is quite simply the belief that women are healthy at all sizes. Nutritionists are constantly shaming bigger ladies and telling us that we're unhealthy based off inaccurate studies and a possible agenda.

I like big women, find them incredibly sexy as hell but not so big that it would affect their health.

I've noticed that even unhealthy obese women are physically attractive to some alpha males. I've yet to see examples of women that find obese men physically attractive and I'm wondering why this is.

You could say the ideal man for a lot of women is muscular, tall man with good income or just a good income (to provide security for offspring) but rarely have I heard of women seeking out fat men specifically the way some men would women..

I was watching this video and it was talking about how it's all genetic, that it's natural for women to be bigger and I tend to agree but this video is suggesting that even obesity is normal which I disagree with.

Any thoughts on why women don't seek out 'big men' as a mating partner?

You need to get out more then, because there's plenty of evidence of women who are attracted to 'big men' or who seek out 'big men' as mating partners :D

You probably won't be moved from your confirmation biased position though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

I have never seen an example of an "alpha" male being attracted to obese women. I think most alpha men don't even want a woman who is even slightly overweight

You need to get out more then, because there's plenty of evidence of women who are attracted to men who seek out 'big men' as mating partners :D

You probably won't be moved from your confirmation biased position though :rolleyes:

Are we talking about big obese men or big muscular men?

I have never seen an example of an "alpha" male being attracted to obese women. I think most alpha men don't even want a woman who is even slightly overweight

You'd be surprised. I've witnessed many a GAA player go home with the biggest ladies at the club when the skinny girls don't get any attention.

See, I think it has to do with personality too. A lot of skinnier girls might be shallow and conceited and the GAA players see them as high maintenance.

Are we talking about big obese men or big muscular men?

Well fat men then, overweight men, big wobbly bastards, whatever way you want to put it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Gender war bullshit in

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have an aggressive left testicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You'd be surprised. I've witnessed many a GAA player go home with the biggest ladies at the club when the skinny girls don't get any attention.

See, I think it has to do with personality too. A lot of skinnier girls might be shallow and conceited and the GAA players see them as high maintenance.

Not because they were locked and the larger girl was less fussy? Or the better looking girl had a boyfriend? Or any number of a hundred reasons why a guy might hit on one girl but not another?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

your heart has to do more work if your overweight

If you're unhappy about your weight then do something about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The millionth fat burds are beautiful too campaign for men to laugh at.
    Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

bluewolf wrote: »
    What a bizarre and delusional video
    It's satire about how a portion of obese people are making excuses for being overweight and putting down slimmer women to make themselves feel better. I think it's brilliant. She's not far off the mark either. If I hear/read once more "real women have curves", I think I'll explode. ALL women are real ffs.

Macavity. wrote: »
    If you're unhappy about your weight then do something about it.

If it's genetic, there's not much can be done though.

It's a bit like telling a skinny person with high metabolism to eat more when it wouldn't make much of a difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's satire about how a portion of obese people are making excuses for being overweight and putting down slimmer women to make themselves feel better. I think it's brilliant. She's not far off the mark either. If I hear/read once more "real women have curves", I think I'll explode. ALL women are real ffs.

Is it a satire?? I turned it off after a few mins.
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was actually true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

So Alpha male equals local GAA player, did the team captain steal your woman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Being fat is not healthy. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Google translate automatically changes american football jock to bog ball player when you request a translation from 'real curvy women/PUA bull crap to hiberno-english.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is it a satire?? I turned it off after a few mins.
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was actually true

I only watched it there after Paddy Cow's post, yeah, it's attempted satire alright, it's poking fun at a number of targets really (rather cringe inducing tbh moreso than humorous).

Now that I've watched it, I'm not sure at all how it relates to the OP's conundrum about the attraction of fat men, because that video is completely unrelated!

It's a bit like telling a skinny person with high metabolism to eat more when it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Only a tiny portion of people suffer from conditions that prevent them from getting to a healthy weight.

Fair enough, you're right in that some people have faster metabolisms and avoid piling on the pounds, while others can't pig out as much without gaining weight quickly. But that isn't to say they can't be a healthy weight, it just means they have to work a little harder with regards to calorie control. Saying it's genetics is just an excuse in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

LMAO.
    "this video is made by a self qualified biologist.". Then claims it's reliable as asserted by himself lol

edit: just watched the full video.....so it's a comedy of sorts. #shrugs#
    edit: read the thread. satire...that's the word.

LMAO.
    "this video is made by a self qualified biologist.". Then claims it's reliable as asserted by himself lol

edit: just watched the full video.....so it's a comedy of sorts. #shrugs#

Narrated by a synthetic voice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ho-hum - just enough of a crumb of truth to sustain the elaborate fiction.

Sure, there are some very large people who have no other illnesses. Statistics tell the trend, though - the risk is there. And there are good reasons for that risk.

And sure, there are men who fancy large girls - BBW is a real fetish - for some.

For women, fancying someone is often less to do with how they look than how they act: so a kind, funny, smart, rich, strong and affectionate man might be very attractive even if quite fat. Other things being equal, though, it will worsen his chances against more presentable opposition.

It's still a mad proposal, though; wrong-headed, delusional, even potentially dangerous. There IS a connection between weight and health - just ask any insurance company, the least sentimental trade in the whole world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Narrated by a synthetic voice :D

well, I had volume off, :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

'Berta Lovejoy' is a well known troll on YouTube.

They comment on videos submitted to Reddit and pretend to be a vocal feminist type person.

http://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/2g99vg/who_is_berta_lovejoy/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ahh... me bollex, if you'll pardon my Dublinese. Past the age of 20 you can pretty much guarantee that fat people eat more(and move less), skinny people eat less and move more and average people eat at their level. Never mind that, fat people, hell the most obese people you can think of have a higher metabolic rate than skinny people. For one obvious reason, they have more cells burning away. That's why they have to eat more tho sustain that size. Oh yes. Kinda buggers that "metabolism" theory. Put it another way, if you were in a bed on a warm night, who's gonna bake you out of it more, a skinny person or a fat one. No doubt it'll be many the year before that theory is dropped from both bro science and chick science.
    JS TBH I pissed myself laughing at alpha male. The whole alpha stuff that our Yank cousins seem to go big for in their bro science is... well stuff and nonsense. It's hard enough to pin down in other species. Wolves? Nope and thrice nope. Gorillas? On more solid ground there, however the "beta" males regularly sneak in and ride the arse off the ladies of the alpha's harem. Oops(oh and the "betas" live longer and don't have to go around wasting energy defending territories, or indeed expend energy providing for or raising their kids).

Reasons why differing female body shapes are accepted over time, culture and individuals compared to male? Environmental I'd reckon. In lean times heavier women would be a much better bet. Women have to sustain a pregnancy and weaning so extra fat that got them through the lean times would be a major bonus and many men would select for this. QV the various Paleolithic Venus figures. In times of plenty the thinner body would be more selected. Why? Maybe because having a thin body in such times is showing off to the world that you as a woman have an ample supply of food because you're rich/have a provider that maintains excess food. QV "you can never be too rich, or too thin" Wallis Simpson.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement