Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal hygiene

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

And many people feel perfectly clean with a shower every second day and for the fecking umpteenth time smell perfectly fine.

I'm not saying people don't smell by the way, lots do but it's nonsense to say that everybody who doesn't shower every single day will smell because it's simply not true.

I find it hard to believe you when you also think that jocks smell fine after 2 days wearing. Anyone who I've ever been around who I know hasn't showered every day (ex-partners) has smelled bad on the second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

I go to ballyfermot college am 32 and wash at least once daily. A guy in my class is 53 and washed once since we started in august.. Dirty horrible ****er not washing others sitting in his stink

Sounds like someone I work with. Stale sweat is the worst. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I can't fathom the logic behind showering every single day for no reason other than because it's conditioned into people. For many many people a shower every second day is perfectly sufficient.

I've no problem whatsoever with people who want to shower every single day but I do have a problem with their claims that not doing it makes you dirty, smelly etc when it's simply not true.

Do you not sweat???

Or only sweat every second day?

Unless you absolutely drown yourself in anti perspirant 3 or more times aday...it is inevitable you will smell is stale sweat (unless you don't sweat by magic)...does it not make you feel uncomfortable going about unshowered...in couple day old boxers??
    (Jesus I don't even like to wear jeans twice!!)
    I couldn't face meeting people at this prospect

I go to ballyfermot college am 32 and wash at least once daily. A guy in my class is 53 and washed once since we started in august.. Dirty horrible ****er not washing others sitting in his stink

That brings back some awful memories. The worst is dread locks. Particularly people who have them and reckon they aren't allowed get them wet. Oh god the smell. A mid-winter rainy day, the whole (predominantly slightly damp) class was stuffed into this tiny room that literally had just enough seats. Not one extra seat. The heating was blasting away in the room and it was stuffy to begin with. Then, a guy in my class who had really big dreadlocks came in and took a seat in front of me. Well the smell. I actually don't know how I lasted through it. It was awful. Didn't learn a thing, just spent the class trying to not throw up.
    Whatever about 2 day whiff, that kind of behaviour is downright obnoxious.

(I'm not opposed to dreads entirely, not my thing, but I've since had colleagues who've had dreads they kept very clean and they didn't smell at all).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FBWT

Long time lurker, but I had to register and post after reading the last few pages...I am just horrified!

There is no excuse for not washing at least every other day, other than sheer, bone-idle laziness. And as for the poster living in dirty underwear for days and not changing your bed sheets, that's just disgusting. There were a few posts here that had me on the verge of dry retching.

• Advertisement

Do you not sweat???

Or only sweat every second day?

Unless you absolutely drown yourself in anti perspirant 3 or more times aday...it is inevitable you will smell is stale sweat (unless you don't sweat by magic)...does it not make you feel uncomfortable going about unshowered...in couple day old boxers??
    (Jesus I don't even like to wear jeans twice!!)
    I couldn't face meeting people at this prospect

I use anti-perspirant and a separate deodorant there for do not smell of stale sweat. I also apply deodorant to my clothes.

I never understood how someone would feel uncomfortable after not showering for one day, obviously multiple days and you would feel uncomfortable.

The fact you will only wear jeans once (an item good for say two weeks of wear) tells me you are on the ocd side of clean so obviously you will find offence with my opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I also apply deodorant to my clothes.

Hey Nox, little heads up.....deodorant isn't for clothes as clothes shouldn't require any antiperspirant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

blacklilly wrote: »
    Hey Nox, little heads up.....deodorant isn't for clothes as clothes shouldn't require any antiperspirant

A good spray of lynx Africa cures all though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Bit o'Febreeze be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I use anti-perspirant and a separate deodorant there for do not smell of stale sweat. I also apply deodorant to my clothes.

I never understood how someone would feel uncomfortable after not showering for one day, obviously multiple days and you would feel uncomfortable.

The fact you will only wear jeans once (an item good for say two weeks of wear) tells me you are on the ocd side of clean so obviously you will find offence with my opinions.

Who wears jeans for a fortnight (how could anyone think that is clean after that long???)..I change most days as I work in a dirty job and overall don't keep the dirt out fully

Do I'd say it's safe to say im not ocd about being clean...I just don't like being rank

As for spraying your clothes with deodorant...the last time I did that was in school for pe..which thankfully was nearly always last class of the day...always felt for people who used have it first thing in morning...esp being teenagers going to amixed school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Bit o'Febreeze be grand
    You're a pig, you're meant to smell.

blacklilly wrote: »

Anti-perspirant would ruin clothes but deodorant only is often used on clothes many clothes shops spray the clothes before you even buy them hence why I buy a fairly expensive one which smells very nice and is kind to clothes.

Anti-perspirant would ruin clothes but deodorant only is often used on clothes many clothes shops spray the clothes before you even buy them hence why I buy a fairly expensive one which smells very nice and is kind to clothes.

If you washed yourself and your clothes with normal frequency you wouldn't have to spray them at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

You know what you're doing is referred to as a knacker shower, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Do you buy expensive deodorant for your clothes but are admittedly too lazy to clean more often?

You're a strange one

Deenie123 wrote: »
    If you washed yourself and your clothes with normal frequency you wouldn't have to spray them at all...

I do wash with normal frequency, some just can't get that into their heads.

When I put in fresh clothes I still spray them as it makes for a very pleasant experience and shocking as some may think I am complimented and asked what deodorant I use and where to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

This thread continues to fascinate and disgust me in equal measure.

We went for a French meal this evening - partly in solidarity with the people of France, and partly because I fancied a beef bourguignon. I had the cheese plate for dessert. As I sampled the epoisses, I couldn't help but think that its pungent and funky aroma could be compared to the underwear of some of the posters here with a lax attitude towards personal hygiene. It was a frankly unpleasant thought, and I stuck to the the other cheeses for the rest of the course. It was never a cheese I've particularly liked, but the smell of it is now associated with the smell of unwashed Irish genitals. I won't be having it again.

I do wash with normal frequency, some just can't get that into their heads.

When I put in fresh clothes I still spray them as it makes for a very pleasant experience and shocking as some may think I am complimented and asked what deodorant I use and where to get it.

Haha, I'd say they're hints that you reek of stale sweat and deodorant trying to mask it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Tilly wrote: »
    Ironing and hoovering are my hates. I do them but i'm not as happy doing them as i am say washing the floors or changing beds.

I love mopping and other "wet" things like cleaning the hob and sinks. Hate the "dry" stuff, like dusting, sweeping and hoovering.

They shower every day because their nose lets them know when someone around them hasn't

I can't believe people are still beating this drum.

You will encounter people every single day who don't smell and don't shower daily. As said earlier in the thread, I don't know what people are doing daily that they come into contact with whiffy people regularly. I so rarely detect a smelly person that I'm taken aback when I do.

• Advertisement

Haha, I'd say they're hints that you reek of stale sweat and deodorant trying to mask it!

When are you going to get it into your head that showering every second day does not turn a person into a walking rubbish bin.

It's extremely annoying that some are so blind to this fact and stand by my opinion that it's purely their heads being conditioned into thinking it. Also as they claim to shower every single day without fail they speak from a position of ignorance on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Showering every day, particularly if you like hot rather than warm showers, and particularly if you use soap/shower gel as opposed to just water, is very bad for your skin, possibly even your immune system. I dunno if ye all have incredibly unhealthy diets, are pregnant, are very overweight, or what, but if you can smell yourself within 24 hours of a shower, there might be something wrong with you. If the people around you aren't passing the sniff test they either a) have gone longer than 24 hours without a shower b) have a lifestyle (manual labourer or similar) that makes them extra smelly or c) are wearing dirty clothes.

Going several days without changing jocks or several weeks without changing bed clothes is pretty bloody manky, but showering every second day is not disgusting.

Anyone who I've ever been around who I know hasn't showered every day (ex-partners) has smelled bad on the second day.

You pick smelly partners then, sucks to be you!

We went for a French meal this evening

In France that's just called a meal.

Showering every day, particularly if you like hot rather than warm showers, and particularly if you use soap/shower gel as opposed to just water, is very bad for your skin, possibly even your immune system. I dunno if ye all have incredibly unhealthy diets, are pregnant, are very overweight, or what, but if you can smell yourself within 24 hours of a shower, there might be something wrong with you. If the people around you aren't passing the sniff test they either a) have gone longer than 24 hours without a shower b) have a lifestyle (manual labourer or similar) that makes them extra smelly or c) are wearing dirty clothes.

Going several days without changing jocks or several weeks without changing bed clothes is pretty bloody manky, but showering every second day is not disgusting.

+1

The voice of reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

There are a bunch of people on this thread who must find their own odour disgusting or have some form of OCD.

If you wear underwear and a t-shirt to bed and shower regularly what's the problem with washing your sheets once a month?

Do you know what a towel is for? Drying your cleaned body? Why wash it so frequently?

You are just wasting energy and money.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    In France that's just called a meal.

Le meal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I remember going back when i used do the silage contracting in the summer often went days even week or more without showering. Would practically live in the tractor for days on end.

Le meal

Well if you want to be all fancy about it. Ponce.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Well if you want to be all fancy about it. Ponce.

:pac:

Le Ponce :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement